Iron City, Georgia
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||52.1 years|
|Georgia median age:||36.4 years|
Zip codes: 39859.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $21,706 (it was $12,161 in 2000)
Iron City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $73,142 (it was $33,400 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $81,893; Detached houses: $90,398; Mobile homes: $11,508
Races in Iron City, GA (2010)
- 26284.5%White alone
- 4715.2%Black alone
Latest news from Iron City, GA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: American (46.1%), English (10.1%), Irish (6.7%), Scottish (1.7%), German (1.1%), Scotch-Irish (1.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 150 feet
Land area: 0.80 square miles.
Population density: 386 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Iron City:
- High school or higher: 87.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 16.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.1%
- Unemployed: 9.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 16.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Iron City town:
- Never married: 18.5%
- Now married: 39.6%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 24.5%
- Divorced: 16.1%
7 residents are foreign born (1.6% Latin America, 0.6% Europe).
According to our research of Georgia and other state lists there were 4 registered sex offenders living in Iron City, Georgia as of April 28, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Iron City to the number of sex offenders is 79 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Iron City town:||0.6% ($206)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Dothan, AL (38.2 miles , pop. 57,737).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Montgomery, AL (127.0 miles , pop. 201,568).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (636.4 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Donalsonville, GA (2.1 miles ), Brinson, GA (2.3 miles ), Steam Mill, GA (2.8 miles ), Mayhaw, GA (3.0 miles ), Boykin, GA (3.1 miles) , Jakin, GA (3.4 miles) , Colquitt, GA (3.5 miles ), Bellview, GA (4.0 miles ).
Latitude: 31.01 N, Longitude: 84.81 W
Area code: 229
Unemployment by year (%)
- Retail trade (27%)
- Public administration (22%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (11%)
- Construction (9%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Manufacturing (7%)
- Wholesale trade (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (32%)
- Retail trade (20%)
- Finance and insurance (14%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Construction (5%)
- Wholesale trade (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Sales and related occupations (24%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (18%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (13%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (9%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (9%)
- Material moving occupations (7%)
- Life, physical, and social science occupations (4%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (30%)
- Personal care and service occupations (16%)
- Sales and related occupations (16%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (9%)
- Healthcare support occupations (7%)
- Management occupations (5%)
- Transportation occupations (5%)
Average climate in Iron City, Georgia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Iron City-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Georgia state average. It is 45% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/22/2005, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 6.9 miles away from the Iron City town center killed one person and injured 18 people and caused $7 million in damages.
On 12/28/1968, a category F3 tornado 21.2 miles away from the town center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Iron City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Georgia state average. It is 86% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 145.9 miles away from the city center
On 9/10/2006 at 14:56:08, a magnitude 5.9 (5.9 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, Depth: 8.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 347.5 miles away from Iron City center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 218.6 miles away from the city center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 239.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 245.3 miles away from Iron City center
On 11/7/2004 at 11:20:21, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.3 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 215.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Seminole County (5) is a lot smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Tornadoes: 3, Storms: 2, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Iron City:
- SEMINOLE MANOR NH (Nursing Home, about 5 miles away; DONALSONVILLE, GA)
- SEMINOLE MANOR NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 5 miles away; DONALSONVILLE, GA)
- MILLER NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; COLQUITT, GA)
- MILLER COUNTY HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 12 miles away; COLQUITT, GA)
- BAINBRIDGE HEALTH AND REHAB (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; BAINBRIDGE, GA)
- WIREGRASS HOSPICE, BAINBRIDGE (Hospital, about 16 miles away; BAINBRIDGE, GA)
- MEMORIAL MANOR NH (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; BAINBRIDGE, GA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Iron City:
- Bainbridge State College (about 19 miles; Bainbridge, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,308)
- George C Wallace State Community College-Dothan (about 44 miles; Dothan, AL; FT enrollment: 3,611)
- Tallahassee Community College (about 49 miles; Tallahassee, FL; FT enrollment: 10,904)
- Florida State University (about 51 miles; Tallahassee, FL; FT enrollment: 38,283)
- Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (about 52 miles; Tallahassee, FL; FT enrollment: 10,841)
- Darton State College (about 53 miles; Albany, GA; FT enrollment: 5,000)
- Albany Technical College (about 54 miles; Albany, GA; FT enrollment: 3,707)
Notable location: Iron City Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Church in Iron City: Iron City Baptist Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
(7.8% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 20.0% for Black residents, 57.1% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 50.0% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.7% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Iron City town (based on Seminole County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Seminole County:||3.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|Georgia:||1.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|Seminole County:||8.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.41 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Iron City, GA Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Streets and Highways||1||$2,600||$31,200||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||1||$2,600||$31,200||1||$921|
Iron City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - General Public Buildings: $27,000 ($87.38)
- Current Operations - Central Staff Services: $29,000 ($93.85)
Regular Highways: $13,000 ($42.07)
Water Utilities: $12,000 ($38.83)
General - Other: $10,000 ($32.36)
Sewerage: $8,000 ($25.89)
Financial Administration: $7,000 ($22.65)
Solid Waste Management: $4,000 ($12.94)
Fire Protection: $2,000 ($6.47)
General Public Buildings: $1,000 ($3.24)
- Intergovernmental to Local NEC - Solid Waste Management: $2,000 ($6.47)
- Other Capital Outlay - Regular Highways: $12,000 ($38.83)
Financial Administration: $2,000 ($6.47)
General Public Building: $2,000 ($6.47)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $24,000 ($77.67)
Iron City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Solid Waste Management: $7,000 ($22.65)
Sewerage: $5,000 ($16.18)
All Other: $2,000 ($6.47)
- Local Intergovernmental - General Support: $37,000 ($119.74)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $44,000 ($142.39)
Rents: $1,000 ($3.24)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $7,000 ($22.65)
- Tax - Other Selective Sales: $12,000 ($38.83)
Public Utilities: $9,000 ($29.13)
Alcoholic Beverage Sales: $6,000 ($19.42)
NEC: $3,000 ($9.71)
Iron City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $749,000 ($2423.95)
7.62% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($28,140 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Decatur County, GA||1.62% ($29,638 average AGI)|
|from Miller County, GA||1.24% ($24,472)|
|from Early County, GA||0.76% ($23,773)|
7.23% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($23,038 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Iron City:
- WSEM (1500 AM; daytime; 1 kW; DONALSONVILLE, GA; Owner: SEMINOLE BROADCASTING CO.)
- WMGR (930 AM; 5 kW; BAINBRIDGE, GA; Owner: DECATUR BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSTT (730 AM; 25 kW; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: MARION R. WILLIAMS)
- WTCL (1580 AM; daytime; 10 kW; CHATTAHOOCHEE, FL; Owner: METZ, INC.)
- WOOF (560 AM; 5 kW; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: WOOF, INC.)
- WJEP (1020 AM; daytime; 10 kW; OCHLOCKNEE, GA; Owner: LIFELINE MINISTRIES, INCORPORATED)
- WHGH (840 AM; daytime; 10 kW; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: H. G. H INVESTMENT CORP.)
- WFRF (1070 AM; daytime; 10 kW; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Owner: FAITH RADIO NETWORK, INC.)
- WFVR (910 AM; 50 kW; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: RAMA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WYBT (1000 AM; daytime; 5 kW; BLOUNTSTOWN, FL; Owner: BLOUNTSTOWN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WMAC (940 AM; 50 kW; MACON, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WQLS (1200 AM; 10 kW; OZARK, AL; Owner: STYLES BROADCASTING OF DOTHAN, INC.)
- WMGA (1130 AM; 10 kW; MOULTRIE, GA; Owner: RADIO MOULTRIE, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Iron City:
- WGMK (106.3 FM; DONALSONVILLE, GA; Owner: MERCHANTS BROADCASTING CO)
- WRAK-FM (97.3 FM; BAINBRIDGE, GA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WWGF (107.5 FM; DONALSONVILLE, GA; Owner: BARINOWSKI INVESTMENT COMPANY)
- WZND (105.3 FM; HEADLAND, AL; Owner: GULF SOUTH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WTVY-FM (95.5 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: STYLES BROADCASTING OF DOTHAN, INC.)
- WOOF-FM (99.7 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: WOOF, INC.)
- WBGE (101.9 FM; BAINBRIDGE, GA; Owner: JOHN H. WIGGINS)
- WPAP-FM (92.5 FM; PANAMA CITY, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WWLD (102.3 FM; CAIRO, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WJJN (92.1 FM; COLUMBIA, AL; Owner: WILSON BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WBBK-FM (93.1 FM; BLAKELY, GA; Owner: MERCHANTS BROADCASTING SYSTEMS OF SW GA)
- WJNF (91.1 FM; MARIANNA, FL; Owner: MARIANNA EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING FOUNDATION)
TV broadcast stations around Iron City:
- WTLH (Channel 49; BAINBRIDGE, GA; Owner: WTLH LICENSE CORP.)
- W69DO (Channel 69; COLQUITT, GA; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W26BM (Channel 26; COLQUITT, GA; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WABW-TV (Channel 14; PELHAM, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- W08DM (Channel 8; COLQUITT, GA; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WTXL-TV (Channel 27; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Owner: MEDIA VENTURE MANAGEMENT, INC.)
- WTWC-TV (Channel 40; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Owner: WTWC LICENSEE, LLC)
- WCTV (Channel 6; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: WCTV LICENSEE CORP.)
- WTVY (Channel 4; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
- W45BL (Channel 45; COLQUITT, GA; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W51CQ (Channel 51; COLQUITT, GA; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WDHN (Channel 18; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: MORRIS NETWORK OF ALABAMA, INC.)
- W30BO (Channel 30; COLQUITT, GA; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W47BX (Channel 47; COLQUITT, GA; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
Iron City fatal accident list:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: W4IPH, Licensee ID: L00791394, Grant Date: 01/02/2004, Expiration Date: 03/29/2014, Cancellation Date: 03/30/2016, Certifier: James T Bell, Registrant: James T Bell, 1948 Lake Hill Rd, Iron City, GA 39859-4118
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
- Good Intent Call: 1
|Most common first names in Iron City, GA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Iron City, GA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (94%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (4%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Iron City compared to Georgia state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.