Isle au Haut, Maine
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||49.5 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip code: 04645
|Isle au Haut:||$35,974|
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $16,979 (it was $11,723 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $214,938 (it was $115,900 in 2000)
|Isle au Haut:||$214,938|
Races in Isle au Haut, ME (2010)
- 6791.8%White alone
- 22.7%American Indian alone
- 22.7%Two or more races
- 11.4%Black alone
- 11.4%Asian alone
Ancestries: French (20.3%), English (17.7%), German (17.7%), Scottish (17.7%), Irish (12.7%), Swedish (10.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 12.7 square miles.
Population density: 5.8 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Isle au Haut:
- High school or higher: 94.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 26.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.3%
- Unemployed: 7.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 7.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Isle au Haut town:
- Never married: 27.0%
- Now married: 63.5%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 0.0%
- Divorced: 9.5%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Isle au Haut town:||1.1% ($1,229)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (86.8 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (173.1 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (348.2 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Stonington, ME (2.8 miles ), Swans Island, ME (3.3 miles ), Vinalhaven, ME (3.4 miles ), Deer Isle, ME (3.4 miles ), Frenchboro, ME (3.7 miles) , North Haven, ME (3.8 miles ), Brooklin, ME (3.9 miles ), Tremont, ME (4.3 miles ).
Latitude: 44.06 N, Longitude: 68.62 W
Area code: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
Average climate in Isle au Haut, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Isle au Haut-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 92% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 30.6 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 153.9 miles away from Isle au Haut center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 254.3 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 284.9 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 53.4 miles away from Isle au Haut center
On 9/22/2006 at 10:39:21, a magnitude 3.4 (3.4 LG, Depth: 4.3 mi) earthquake occurred 29.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Knox County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 17
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 15, Storms: 11, Winter Storms: 4, Snows: 3, Hurricanes: 2, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Mudslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Isle au Haut:
- Husson University (about 54 miles; Bangor, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine (about 58 miles; Orono, ME; FT enrollment: 8,931)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 62 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 86 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 87 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Southern Maine (about 88 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 95 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
Public elementary/middle school in Isle au Haut:
- ISLE AU HAUT RURAL SCHOOL (Location: NO PHYSICAL LOCATION AVAILABLE, Grades: KG-8)
Notable locations in Isle au Haut: Lookout (A), Isle Au Haut Light Station (B), Duck Harbor Landing (C), Duck Harbor Campground (D), Revere Memorial Library (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Turners Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and swamps: Long Pond (A), Great Meadow (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Barter Creek (A), Duck Brook (B), Merchant Brook (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Beach: Goss Beach (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
|This town:||1.7 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 2.4% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Isle au Haut town (based on Knox County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Knox County:||4.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Knox County:||2.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Knox County:||7.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||19.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.11% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($40,636 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Waldo County, ME||0.56% ($33,391 average AGI)|
|from Lincoln County, ME||0.49% ($26,645)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.33% ($37,961)|
5.10% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($35,672 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Isle au Haut:
- WDEA (1370 AM; 5 kW; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Isle au Haut:
- WMEP (90.5 FM; CAMDEN, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WQSS (102.5 FM; CAMDEN, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WERU-FM (89.9 FM; BLUE HILL, ME; Owner: SALT POND COMMUNITY B/C COMPANY)
- WFZX (101.7 FM; SEARSPORT, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMCM (103.3 FM; ROCKLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBFB (104.7 FM; BELFAST, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBQX (106.9 FM; THOMASTON, ME; Owner: MARINER BROADCASTING LIMITED PARTNER)
- WWMJ (95.7 FM; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WNSX (97.7 FM; WINTER HARBOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 0mTotal length
- $158,000Total costs
- 299Total average daily traffic
- 14Total average daily truck traffic
- 449Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- ISLE AU HAUT, Rural Area (Lat: 44.076722 Lon: -68.627222), Overall height: 9.4 m, Call Sign: WLU548
Assigned Frequencies: 6315.84 MHz, 11625.0 MHzGrant Date: 03/01/2011, Expiration Date: 02/01/2021Registrant: Holland & Knight LLP, 2099 Pennsylvania Ave. Nw Ste 100, Washington, DC 20006-6801, Phone: (202) 955-3000, Fax: (202) 955-5564, Email:
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers:1
- Moores Harbor Rd (Lat: 44.066750 Lon: -68.649472), Type: Building, Overall height: 8 m, Call Sign: KSK205, Licensee ID: L00006695
Assigned Frequencies: 156.425 MHz, 156.450 MHz, 156.500 MHz, 156.725 MHz, 156.800 MHzGrant Date: 12/07/1999, Expiration Date: 01/10/2005, Cancellation Date: 03/12/2005Registrant: Ocean Resources Inc, B, Isle Au Haut, ME 04645
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: KC1CBV, Licensee ID: L01872863, Grant Date: 06/12/2014, Expiration Date: 06/12/2024, Certifier: John D Dewitt, Registrant: John D Dewitt, Isle Au Haut, ME 04645
- Call Sign: KC1CBW, Licensee ID: L01872864, Grant Date: 06/12/2014, Expiration Date: 06/12/2024, Certifier: Kendra P Chubbuck, Registrant: Kendra P Chubbuck, 1 Ridge Rd, Isle Au Haut, ME 04645
Drinking water stations with addresses in Isle au Haut and their reported violations in the past:THE KEEPERS HOUSE INN LLC (Population served: 65, Surface water):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In SEP-2013, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (OCT-15-2013), St Formal NOV issued (OCT-15-2013)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In AUG-2013, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (SEP-03-2013), St Formal NOV issued (SEP-03-2013), St Public Notif received (SEP-30-2013)
- 3 routine major monitoring violations
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Wood (56%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (44%)
Isle au Haut compared to Maine state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.