Italy, New York
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||44.9 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 14512.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $23,290 (it was $14,472 in 2000)
Italy town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $123,983 (it was $70,300 in 2000)
Races in Italy, NY (2010)
- 1,11697.8%White alone
- 90.8%Two or more races
- 30.3%Black alone
- 20.2%Asian alone
- 10.09%Other race alone
Latest news from Italy, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (26.0%), English (20.7%), Irish (18.3%), Italian (6.7%), Polish (5.8%), French (5.2%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1121 feet
Land area: 40.2 square miles.
Population density: 28 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Italy:
- High school or higher: 79.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.4%
- Unemployed: 7.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 37.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Italy town:
- Never married: 26.5%
- Now married: 57.5%
- Separated: 2.6%
- Widowed: 4.6%
- Divorced: 8.8%
10 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Italy town:||2.2% ($1,560)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Rochester, NY (41.4 miles , pop. 219,773).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (212.8 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Naples, NY (2.2 miles ), Prattsburgh, NY (2.3 miles ), Middlesex, NY (2.8 miles ), Pulteney, NY (2.9 miles ), Jerusalem, NY (2.9 miles ), South Bristol, NY (3.0 miles ), Potter, NY (3.1 miles ), Keuka Park, NY (3.3 miles ).
Latitude: 42.61 N, Longitude: 77.31 W
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (20%)
- Paper (6%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Wood products (4%)
- Health care (4%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Health care (19%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Social assistance (8%)
- Food and beverage stores (4%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (4%)
- Public administration (3%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (10%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Carpenters (5%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (11%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Child care workers (7%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (4%)
- Cashiers (4%)
Average climate in Italy, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Italy-area historical tornado activity is slightly below New York state average. It is 72% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/30/1955, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 27.7 miles away from the Italy town center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 6/20/1969, a category F3 tornado 43.0 miles away from the town center caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Italy-area historical earthquake activity is near New York state average. It is 87% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 175.7 miles away from the city center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 176.6 miles away from Italy center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 221.8 miles away from the city center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 209.7 miles away from the city center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 170.9 miles away from Italy center
On 1/26/2001 at 03:03:20, a magnitude 4.4 (3.9 MB, 4.4 LG, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 184.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Yates County (16) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 11
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 9, Floods: 7, Hurricanes: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Power Outage: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Italy:
- Finger Lakes Community College (about 19 miles; Canandaigua, NY; Full-time enrollment: 4,732)
- Hobart William Smith Colleges (about 24 miles; Geneva, NY; FT enrollment: 2,476)
- SUNY College at Geneseo (about 30 miles; Geneseo, NY; FT enrollment: 5,520)
- SUNY College of Technology at Alfred (about 35 miles; Alfred, NY; FT enrollment: 3,483)
- Alfred University (about 35 miles; Alfred, NY; FT enrollment: 2,411)
- Nazareth College (about 36 miles; Rochester, NY; FT enrollment: 2,632)
- Corning Community College (about 37 miles; Corning, NY; FT enrollment: 3,036)
Notable locations in Italy: Mackenzie Family Farm (A), Majestic Hills Golf Course (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Italy: Italy Hill Baptist Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Lee Cemetery (1), Segar Cemetery (2), East Italy Hill Cemetery (3), Italy Valley Cemetery (4), Johnson Cemetery (5), Wolven Cemetery (6). Display/hide their locations on the map
Rivers and creeks: West River (A), Naples Creek (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Italy: High Tor Wildlife Management Area (1). Display/hide its location on the map
|This town:||2.4 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.6% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New York average:||14.2|
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Italy town (based on Yates County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Yates County:||4.87 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Yates County:||2.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||0.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Yates County:||2.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.15 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
5.01% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($43,781 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Ontario County, NY||1.32% ($31,484 average AGI)|
|from Monroe County, NY||0.44% ($90,951)|
|from Steuben County, NY||0.41% ($30,316)|
5.40% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,081 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Italy:
- WHAM (1180 AM; 50 kW; ROCHESTER, NY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WABH (1380 AM; 10 kW; BATH, NY)
- WFLR (1570 AM; 5 kW; DUNDEE, NY; Owner: LAKES COUNTY COMMUNICATION CORP.)
- WYLF (850 AM; 1 kW; PENN YAN, NY; Owner: M B COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WWKB (1520 AM; 50 kW; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: ENTERCOM BUFFALO LICENSE, LLC)
- WPIE (1160 AM; 5 kW; TRUMANSBURG, NY; Owner: PEMBROOK PINES ITHACA LTD. N.A.)
- WHHO (1320 AM; 5 kW; HORNELL, NY; Owner: BILBAT RADIO, INC.)
- WACK (1420 AM; 5 kW; NEWARK, NY; Owner: PEMBROOK PINES, INC.)
- WYSL (1040 AM; 3 kW; AVON, NY; Owner: RADIO LIVINGSTON, LTD)
- WLNL (1000 AM; daytime; 5 kW; HORSEHEADS, NY; Owner: LIGHTHOUSE MEDIA, INC.)
- WWLZ (820 AM; 4 kW; HORSEHEADS, NY; Owner: CHEMUNG COUNTY RADIO, INC.)
- WHTK (1280 AM; 5 kW; ROCHESTER, NY)
- WXXI (1370 AM; 5 kW; ROCHESTER, NY; Owner: WXXI PUBLIC BROADCASTING COUNCIL)
Strongest FM radio stations in Italy:
- WCIY (88.9 FM; CANANDAIGUA, NY; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WFXF (107.3 FM; SOUTH BRISTOL TOWNSH, NY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WNVE (95.1 FM; HONEOYE FALLS, NY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WISY (102.3 FM; CANANDAIGUA, NY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WDNY-FM (93.9 FM; DANSVILLE, NY; Owner: MILLER MEDIA INC.)
- WFLR-FM (95.9 FM; DUNDEE, NY; Owner: LAKES COUNTRY COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- W201CY (88.1 FM; DANSVILLE, NY; Owner: MARS HILL BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- W246AP (97.1 FM; DANSVILLE, NY; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF THE FINGER LAKES)
- W282AC (104.3 FM; DANSVILLE, NY; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- W220CJ (91.9 FM; PENN YAN, NY; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WCIK (103.1 FM; BATH, NY; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WQNY (103.7 FM; ITHACA, NY; Owner: EAGLE II BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WCKR (92.1 FM; HORNELL, NY; Owner: PMJ COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEOS (89.7 FM; GENEVA, NY; Owner: THE COLLEGES OF THE SENECA)
- WPHR (106.9 FM; AUBURN, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WVIN-FM (98.3 FM; BATH, NY; Owner: PEMBROOK PINES MASS MEDIA, NA CORP.)
- WCBA-FM (98.7 FM; CORNING, NY; Owner: EOLIN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WGMM (97.7 FM; BIG FLATS, NY; Owner: EOLIN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WZKZ (101.9 FM; ALFRED, NY; Owner: PEMBROOK PINES ELMIRA, LTD.)
- WKPQ (105.3 FM; HORNELL, NY; Owner: BILBAT RADIO, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Italy:
- WPXJ-TV (Channel 51; BATAVIA, NY; Owner: PAXSON BUFFALO LICENSE, INC.)
- W60AD (Channel 60; SAVONA, NY; Owner: WSKG PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COUNCIL)
- W20BL (Channel 20; BATH, NY; Owner: WYDC, INC.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 5Number of bridges
- 6m20ftTotal length
- $2,623,000Total costs
- 1,799Total average daily traffic
- 219Total average daily truck traffic
- 2,292Total future (year 2030) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- 2 Mi N Of Hamlet Of Italy Hill (Lat: 42.620333 Lon: -77.254417), Call Sign: KNES963
Assigned Frequencies: 48.3200 MHz, 48.3600 MHzGrant Date: 12/27/2012, Expiration Date: 01/27/2023Registrant: Utilities Telecom Council, Inc., 1129 20th Street, Nw Suite 350, Washington, DC 20036, Phone: (203) 833-6818, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- STATION, 2 Mi N Of Hamlet Of Italy Hill (Lat: 42.620333 Lon: -77.254417), Overall height: 57.9 m, Call Sign: WNEE683
Assigned Frequencies: 942.575 MHzGrant Date: 01/22/2009, Expiration Date: 03/17/2019Registrant: Utilities Telecom Council, Inc., 1129 20th Street, Nw Suite 350, Washington, DC 20036, Phone: (203) 833-6818, Email:
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Service Call: 1
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (43%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (29%)
- Wood (19%)
- Electricity (4%)
- Coal or coke (2%)
- Utility gas (2%)
Italy compared to New York state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.