We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||44.6 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04921.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $23,391 (it was $15,525 in 2000)
Jackson town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $139,431 (it was $71,800 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $200,474; Detached houses: $219,017; Townhouses or other attached units: $226,379; In 2-unit structures: $375,458; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $321,385; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $226,479; Mobile homes: $76,815
Races in Jackson, ME (2010)
- 52395.4%White alone
- 152.7%Two or more races
- 61.1%American Indian alone
- 10.2%Black alone
- 10.2%Asian alone
|Maine weather thread (2739 replies)|
|Mount Desert Island /Bar Harbor (6 replies)|
|Why is Maine a poor state? (241 replies)|
|Hard to find work in Maine?!? (107 replies)|
|Update on push to make Baxter National Park land?? (40 replies)|
|Older folks who have retired to Maine from elsewhere (123 replies)|
Latest news from Jackson, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (21.9%), Irish (12.6%), French (7.1%), German (6.7%), Polish (5.1%), United States (5.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 06/12/1818
Elevation: 198 feet
Land area: 25.2 square miles.
Population density: 22 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Jackson:
- High school or higher: 81.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 17.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.9%
- Unemployed: 7.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 32.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Jackson town:
- Never married: 26.0%
- Now married: 55.0%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 7.2%
- Divorced: 10.0%
6 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Maine and other state lists, there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Jackson, Maine as of July 19, 2019.
The ratio of all residents to sex offenders in Jackson is 274 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Jackson town:||0.8% ($565)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (85.5 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (185.5 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (353.7 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Brooks, ME (2.2 miles ), Monroe, ME (2.2 miles ), Thorndike, ME (2.2 miles ), Dixmont, ME (2.5 miles ), Knox, ME (2.6 miles ), Troy, ME (2.7 miles ), Swanville, ME (3.0 miles ), Unity, ME (3.1 miles ).
Latitude: 44.60 N, Longitude: 69.15 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (21%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Truck transportation (6%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Machinery, equipment, and supplies merchant wholesalers (5%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Transportation equipment (3%)
- Health care (17%)
- Educational services (16%)
- Social assistance (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Construction (8%)
- Textile mills and textile products (4%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Carpenters (5%)
- Construction laborers (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (7%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Child care workers (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Cashiers (5%)
Average climate in Jackson, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Jackson-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 93% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 225.4 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 52.6 miles away from Jackson center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 261.1 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 143.8 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 20.3 miles away from Jackson center
On 1/17/2000 at 08:16:20, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, 3.4 LG, Depth: 10.1 mi) earthquake occurred 63.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Waldo County (17) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 14
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 13, Storms: 10, Snows: 3, Heavy Rains: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Jackson:
- HARBOR HILL CENTER (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; BELFAST, ME)
- BRADBURY MANOR (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; BELFAST, ME)
- THE COMMONS AT TALL PINES (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; BELFAST, ME)
- DIALYSIS CLINIC INC. - BELFAST (Dialysis Facility, about 16 miles away; BELFAST, ME)
- WALDO COUNTY GENERAL HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 16 miles away; BELFAST, ME)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Jackson:
- Husson University (about 24 miles; Bangor, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine (about 31 miles; Orono, ME; FT enrollment: 8,931)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 37 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 50 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 86 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 86 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 86 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
Notable locations in Jackson: Jackson Corners (A), Jackson Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Fogg Cemetery (1), Styles Cemetery (2), Cates Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lake: Drake Pond (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Great Farm Brook (A), Penny Brook (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 65.3. This is about average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 15.2. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 16.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 6.32. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 23.0 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Jackson town (based on Waldo County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Waldo County:||2.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Waldo County:||1.82 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Waldo County:||7.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.91% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($35,908 average adjusted gross income)
0.07% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,481 average AGI)
Waldo County: 0.07% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||1.14% ($27,430 average AGI)|
|from Kennebec County, ME||0.71% ($29,699)|
|from Knox County, ME||0.45% ($28,545)|
6.11% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,013 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Jackson:
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WDEA (1370 AM; 5 kW; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WFAU (1280 AM; 5 kW; GARDINER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WTVL (1490 AM; 1 kW; WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Jackson:
- WWBX (97.1 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBFB (104.7 FM; BELFAST, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WFZX (101.7 FM; SEARSPORT, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WKIT-FM (100.3 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WMEP (90.5 FM; CAMDEN, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WQSS (102.5 FM; CAMDEN, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WWMJ (95.7 FM; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WQCB (106.5 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WERU-FM (89.9 FM; BLUE HILL, ME; Owner: SALT POND COMMUNITY B/C COMPANY)
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMEH (90.9 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWWA (95.3 FM; WINSLOW, ME; Owner: LIGHT OF LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WCTB (93.5 FM; FAIRFIELD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
- WVOM (103.9 FM; HOWLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEZQ (92.9 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WHCF (88.5 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WHQO (107.9 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
- WGUY (102.1 FM; DEXTER, ME; Owner: CONCORD MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WMCM (103.3 FM; ROCKLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WJCX (99.5 FM; PITTSFIELD, ME; Owner: CSN INTERNATIONAL)
TV broadcast stations around Jackson:
- WABI-TV (Channel 5; BANGOR, ME; Owner: COMMUNITY BROADCASTING SERVICE)
- W36CK (Channel 36; BANGOR, ME; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WCKD-LP (Channel 30; BANGOR/DEDHAM, ME; Owner: J. MCLEOD, ME FAMILY B/CING., INC.)
- WBGR-LP (Channel 33; BANGOR/DEDHAM, ME; Owner: MAINE FAMILY BROADCASTING, INC.)
Jackson fatal accident list:
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 3Number of bridges
- 2m7ftTotal length
- $122,000Total costs
- 1,615Total average daily traffic
- 115Total average daily truck traffic
- 2,423Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:3
- Call Sign: AA1MS, Licensee ID: L00955849, Grant Date: 03/12/2015, Expiration Date: 03/22/2025, Certifier: Samuel H Davis, Registrant: Samuel H Davis, 314 Village Rd, Jackson, ME 04921-3112
- Call Sign: N2FXI, Licensee ID: L01118500, Grant Date: 02/15/2006, Expiration Date: 03/14/2016, Cancellation Date: 04/04/2006, Certifier: Robert D Royds Jr, Registrant: Robert D Royds Jr, 717 Hadley Mill Rd, Jackson, ME 04921-3122
- Call Sign: N1BTM, Previous Call Sign: N2FXI, Licensee ID: L01118500, Grant Date: 04/04/2006, Expiration Date: 04/04/2016, Certifier: Robert D Royds Jr, Registrant: Robert D Royds Jr, 717 Hadley Mill Rd, Jackson, ME 04921-3122
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: ROBERT J DODGE HUMMEL ULTRA CRUISER (Category: Land, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: 4 Cycle
N-Number: 3591D , Serial Number: 604
Registrant (Individual): Robert J Dodge, 127 Hatch Rd, Jackson, ME 04921
Deregistered: Cancel Date: 05/21/1997
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 6
- Hazardous Condition: 1
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (66%)
- Wood (28%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (3%)
- Electricity (2%)
Jackson compared to Maine state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.