|Median resident age:||53.3 years|
|Pennsylvania median age:||40.1 years|
Zip code: 17814
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $113,692 (it was $72,500 in 2000)
- White alone - 133 (99.3%)
- American Indian alone - 1 (0.7%)
|Penn Haven -- a "Ghost Town" of Sorts (13 replies)|
|What small business do you wish your rural small western PA town had? (11 replies)|
|Benton,PA (36 replies)|
Latest news from Jamison City, PA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (33.3%), Irish (12.6%), Dutch (7.4%), Polish (7.4%), Welsh (5.2%), Italian (3.7%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1080 feet
Land area: 0.24 square miles.
Population density: 548 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Jamison City:
- High school or higher: 88.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 4.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 3.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 39.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Jamison City CDP:
- Never married: 17.3%
- Now married: 70.9%
- Separated: 2.8%
- Widowed: 3.7%
- Divorced: 5.4%
5 residents are foreign born (4.9% North America).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $833 (0.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $1,333 (1.1%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Scranton, PA (37.1 miles , pop. 76,415).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Philadelphia, PA (110.6 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Waller, PA (2.4 miles) , Benton borough, PA (2.7 miles ), New Columbus borough, PA (3.2 miles ), Stillwater, PA (3.2 miles) , Laporte borough, PA (3.2 miles ), Rohrsburg, PA (3.5 miles) , Greenwood, PA (3.6 miles ), Eagles Mere, PA (3.7 miles) .
Latitude: 41.30 N, Longitude: 76.37 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 570
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (37%)
- Wholesale trade (27%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Other services, except public administration (10%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Manufacturing (7%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (0%)
- Information (22%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (22%)
- Retail trade (17%)
- Educational services (17%)
- Health care and social assistance (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (0%)
- Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing (9%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (9%)
- Plant and system operators (9%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (9%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Business operations specialists (6%)
- Waiters and waitresses (6%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (27%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (18%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (18%)
- Business operations specialists (14%)
- Health technologists and technicians (14%)
- Food processing workers (9%)
Average climate in Jamison City, Pennsylvania
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Jamison City-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Pennsylvania state average. It is 32% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/29/1976, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 22.1 miles away from the Jamison City place center caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/31/1985, a category F3 tornado 27.2 miles away from the place center killed 6 people and injured 60 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Jamison City-area historical earthquake activity is near Pennsylvania state average. It is 86% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 210.3 miles away from the city center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 69.4 miles away from Jamison City center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 209.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 258.0 miles away from the city center
On 1/16/1994 at 00:42:43, a magnitude 4.2 (4.2 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 70.0 miles away from Jamison City center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 249.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Columbia County (13) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 10
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 6, Storms: 6, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Mudslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Tropical Depression: 1, Tropical Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Operable nuclear power plants near Jamison City:
- 19 miles: Susquehanna 1 and 2 in Berwick, PA.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Jamison City:
- Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania (about 21 miles; Bloomsburg, PA; Full-time enrollment: 9,452)
- Misericordia University (about 21 miles; Dallas, PA; FT enrollment: 2,554)
- Luzerne County Community College (about 21 miles; Nanticoke, PA; FT enrollment: 4,724)
- Wilkes University (about 26 miles; Wilkes-Barre, PA; FT enrollment: 3,912)
- King's College (about 26 miles; Wilkes-Barre, PA; FT enrollment: 2,392)
- Pennsylvania College of Technology (about 35 miles; Williamsport, PA; FT enrollment: 5,291)
- Bucknell University (about 37 miles; Lewisburg, PA; FT enrollment: 3,418)
Notable location: North Mountain Volunteer Fire Company (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 68.2. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 23.9. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 19.9 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 1.6% of all households
Jamison City compared to Pennsylvania state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Wood (54%)
- Electricity (16%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (10%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (10%)
- Coal or coke (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Jamison City CDP (based on Columbia County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 47.46%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||United Methodist Church||Catholic Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||United Church of Christ||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ|
|Name||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Assemblies of God||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Columbia County:||2.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pennsylvania:||2.04 / 10,000 pop.|
|Columbia County:||0.62 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pennsylvania:||0.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|Columbia County:||3.39 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.87 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.12 / 10,000 pop.|
4.52% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($35,882 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Luzerne County, PA||0.83% ($28,552 average AGI)|
|from Montour County, PA||0.46% ($28,786)|
|from Northumberland County, PA||0.39% ($33,674)|
4.87% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($38,416 average adjusted gross income)
0.05% of residents moved to foreign countries ($242 average AGI)
Columbia County: 0.05% Pennsylvania average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Jamison City:
- WRKK (1200 AM; 10 kW; HUGHESVILLE, PA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WILK (980 AM; 5 kW; WILKES-BARRE, PA; Owner: ENTERCOM WILKES-BARRE SCRANTON, LLC)
- WARM (590 AM; 5 kW; SCRANTON, PA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WWJZ (640 AM; 50 kW; MOUNT HOLLY, NJ; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WITK (1550 AM; 10 kW; PITTSTON, PA; Owner: ROBERT C. CORDARO, INC.)
- WKOK (1070 AM; 10 kW; SUNBURY, PA; Owner: SUNBURY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WVCH (740 AM; 50 kW; CHESTER, PA; Owner: WVCH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WEEU (830 AM; 20 kW; READING, PA; Owner: WEEU BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WZZD (990 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: PENNSYLVANIA MEDIA ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WEMR (1460 AM; 5 kW; TUNKHANNOCK, PA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KYW (1060 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WPEN (950 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: GREATER PHILADELPHIA RADIO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Jamison City:
- WGGI (95.9 FM; BENTON, PA; Owner: ENTERCOM WILKES-BARRE SCRANTON, LLC)
- WCWY (107.7 FM; TUNKHANNOCK, PA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMGS (92.9 FM; WILKES-BARRE, PA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WBSX (97.9 FM; HAZLETON, PA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WVIA-FM (89.9 FM; SCRANTON, PA; Owner: NORTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA EDUCATIONAL TV ASSN.)
- WFYY (106.5 FM; BLOOMSBURG, PA; Owner: RADIO FRIENDZ, INC.)
- WBHT (97.1 FM; MOUNTAIN TOP, PA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WRVH (107.9 FM; WILLIAMSPORT, PA; Owner: SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT SABRECOM, INC.)
- WKRZ (98.5 FM; WILKES-BARRE, PA; Owner: ENTERCOM WILKES-BARRE SCRANTON, LLC)
- WQFM (92.1 FM; NANTICOKE, PA; Owner: THE SCRANTON TIMES, L.P.)
- WCLH (90.7 FM; WILKES-BARRE, PA; Owner: WILKES COLLEGE)
- WZXR (99.3 FM; SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, PA; Owner: SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT SABRECOM, INC.)
- W219CG (91.7 FM; WILKER-BARRE, PA; Owner: PENSACOLA CHRISTIAN COLLEGE, INC.)
- WBZD-FM (93.3 FM; MUNCY, PA; Owner: SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT SABRECOM, INC.)
- W299AF (107.7 FM; CATAWISSA, PA; Owner: SALT & LIGHT MEDIA MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WEZX (106.9 FM; SCRANTON, PA; Owner: THE SCRANTON TIMES, L.P.)
- WCWQ (93.7 FM; DALLAS, PA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCOZ (103.9 FM; LAPORTE, PA; Owner: SMITH AND FITZGERALD, PARTNERSHIP)
- WPGM-FM (96.7 FM; DANVILLE, PA; Owner: MONTROSE BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WGGY (101.3 FM; SCRANTON, PA; Owner: ENTERCOM WILKES-BARRE SCRANTON, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Jamison City:
- WNEP-TV (Channel 16; SCRANTON, PA; Owner: NEW YORK TIMES MANAGEMENT SERVICES)
- WBRE-TV (Channel 28; WILKES-BARRE, PA; Owner: NEXSTAR BROADCASTING OF NORTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA, L.L.C.)
- WYOU (Channel 22; SCRANTON, PA; Owner: MISSION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WVIA-TV (Channel 44; SCRANTON, PA; Owner: NE PA ED TV ASSOCIATION)
- WOLF-TV (Channel 56; HAZLETON, PA; Owner: WOLF LICENSE CORP.)
|Home Mortgage Disclosure Act Aggregated Statistics For Year 2003|
(Based on 1 partial tract)
|APPLICATIONS APPROVED, NOT ACCEPTED||0||$0|
|FILES CLOSED FOR INCOMPLETENESS||0||$0|
Detailed HMDA statistics for the following Tracts: 0501.00