Jefferson City, Montana
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||35.7 years|
|Montana median age:||40.1 years|
Zip codes: 59638.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $32,618 (it was $21,953 in 2000)
Jefferson City CDP income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $298,011 (it was $122,900 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $358,766; Detached houses: $392,970; Mobile homes: $95,088
Median gross rent in 2016: $725.
Races in Jefferson City, MT (2010)
- 44995.1%White alone
- 91.9%Two or more races
- 61.3%American Indian alone
- 10.2%Black alone
|Let's visit on the Porch II (7124 replies)|
|Looking for information on different parts of MT (10 replies)|
|posible move to Helena - what's the difference bw Clancy and Jefferson City? (1 reply)|
|School districts in the Helena area (5 replies)|
|Is Helena more conservative, libertarian or liberal? (3 replies)|
|Good place to live for medical professional? (12 replies)|
Latest news from Jefferson City, MT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (21.4%), English (16.1%), American (15.5%), Norwegian (13.1%), Polish (3.0%).
Current Local Time: MST time zone
Elevation: 4558 feet
Land area: 12.1 square miles.
Population density: 39 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Jefferson City:
- High school or higher: 98.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 25.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 13.4%
- Unemployed: 9.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 28.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Jefferson City CDP:
- Never married: 24.5%
- Now married: 56.0%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 6.3%
- Divorced: 10.9%
According to our research of Montana and other state lists there were 5 registered sex offenders living in Jefferson City, Montana as of September 18, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Jefferson City to the number of sex offenders is 140 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $1,578 (0.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2016: $2,751 (0.4%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Great Falls, MT (85.1 miles , pop. 56,690).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: East Seattle, WA (484.7 miles , pop. 480,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Phoenix, AZ (889.4 miles , pop. 1,321,045).
Nearest cities: Clancy, MT (2.6 miles ), Elkhorn, MT (3.0 miles) , Boulder, MT (3.3 miles ), Montana City, MT (3.4 miles ), South Hills, MT (3.5 miles ), Basin, MT (3.6 miles ), Helena, MT (3.8 miles ), Helena West Side, MT (3.9 miles ).
Latitude: 46.39 N, Longitude: 112.04 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 406
Unemployment by year (%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (36%)
- Public administration (13%)
- Health care and social assistance (9%)
- Construction (8%)
- Transportation and warehousing (8%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (8%)
- Other services, except public administration (5%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (19%)
- Other services, except public administration (18%)
- Health care and social assistance (17%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Transportation and warehousing (10%)
- Finance and insurance (8%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Management occupations (41%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (25%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (6%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (6%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (5%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (4%)
- Community and social service occupations (3%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (19%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (16%)
- Personal care and service occupations (15%)
- Healthcare support occupations (14%)
- Legal occupations (8%)
- Life, physical, and social science occupations (3%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (3%)
Average climate in Jefferson City, Montana
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Jefferson City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Montana state average. It is 66% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/18/1959 at 06:37:13, a magnitude 7.7 (7.7 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 142.7 miles away from the city center, causing $26,000,000 total damage
On 10/28/1983 at 14:06:06, a magnitude 7.3 (6.2 MB, 7.3 MS, 7.0 MW) earthquake occurred 181.3 miles away from Jefferson City center, causing 2 deaths (2 shaking deaths) and 3 injuries, causing $15,000,000 total damage
On 6/30/1975 at 18:54:13, a magnitude 6.1 (5.6 MB, 5.9 MS, 6.1 UK, 6.1 ML, Class: Strong, Intensity: VII - IX) earthquake occurred 134.3 miles away from the city center
On 7/26/2005 at 04:08:37, a magnitude 5.7 (5.7 MB, 5.2 MS, 5.6 MW, Depth: 8.0 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 73.1 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/1915 at 06:52:48, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK) earthquake occurred 490.6 miles away from Jefferson City center
On 8/22/1984 at 09:46:30, a magnitude 5.8 (5.0 MB, 5.1 MS, 5.8 ML) earthquake occurred 160.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Jefferson County (7) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 4, Storms: 3, Fires: 2, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Jefferson City:
- BIG SKY CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; HELENA, MT)
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; HELENA, MT)
- ST PETERS HOSPITAL DIALYSIS UNIT (Dialysis Facility, about 14 miles away; HELENA, MT)
- HOSPICE OF ST PETERS COMM HOSP (Hospital, about 14 miles away; HELENA, MT)
- ST PETER'S HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 14 miles away; HELENA, MT)
- COONEY CONVALESCENT HOME (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; HELENA, MT)
- SHODAIR CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 14 miles away; HELENA, MT)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Jefferson City:
- Montana State University (about 69 miles; Bozeman, MT; Full-time enrollment: 12,942)
- The University of Montana (about 98 miles; Missoula, MT; FT enrollment: 13,602)
- Montana State University-Billings (about 174 miles; Billings, MT; FT enrollment: 4,319)
- Brigham Young University-Idaho (about 179 miles; Rexburg, ID; FT enrollment: 30,522)
- Lewis-Clark State College (about 238 miles; Lewiston, ID; FT enrollment: 3,199)
- University of Idaho (about 239 miles; Moscow, ID; FT enrollment: 10,416)
- North Idaho College (about 242 miles; Coeur d'Alene, ID; FT enrollment: 4,684)
Notable locations in Jefferson City: Jefferson City Rest Area (A), Jefferson City Fire Company (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creeks: Beavertown Creek (A), Comet Creek (B), Troy Creek (C), Spring Creek (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Jefferson City: Freighters Historical Marker (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 68.5. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2000 was 5.39. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 10.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2006 was 26.9. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 2.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 7.53. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 15.0 miles away from the city center.
Lead (Pb) [µg/m3] level in 2001 was 0.141. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 3.7 miles away from the city center.
(2.3% for White Non-Hispanic residents)
|This place:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 1.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2016
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2016
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Jefferson City CDP (based on Jefferson County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Jefferson County:||1.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Montana:||2.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Jefferson County:||4.51 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.69 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||13.53 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||10.38 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Jefferson City, MT Residents
8.04% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($44,727 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Lewis and Clark County, MT||2.29% ($46,896 average AGI)|
|from Gallatin County, MT||0.50% ($29,619)|
|from Silver Bow County, MT||0.48% ($56,800)|
8.79% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($35,189 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Jefferson City:
- KKGR (680 AM; daytime; 5 kW; EAST HELENA, MT; Owner: KKGR, INC.)
- KMTX (950 AM; 5 kW; HELENA, MT; Owner: CAPRI, INC)
- KBOW (550 AM; 5 kW; BUTTE, MT; Owner: BUTTE BROADCASTING INCORPORATED)
- KGVW (640 AM; 10 kW; BELGRADE, MT; Owner: GALLATIN VALLEY WITNESS, INC.)
- KBLL (1240 AM; 1 kW; HELENA, MT; Owner: HOLTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KERR (750 AM; 50 kW; POLSON, MT; Owner: ANDERSON RADIO BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KCAP (1340 AM; 1 kW; HELENA, MT; Owner: COMMONWEALTH LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
- KXTL (1370 AM; 5 kW; BUTTE, MT; Owner: FISHER RADIO REGIONAL GROUP, INC.)
- KOFI (1180 AM; 50 kW; KALISPELL, MT; Owner: KOFI, INC.)
- KMON (560 AM; 5 kW; GREAT FALLS, MT; Owner: COMMONWEALTH LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
- KBOZ (1090 AM; 5 kW; BOZEMAN, MT; Owner: REIER BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KBOI (670 AM; 50 kW; BOISE, ID; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KANA (580 AM; 1 kW; ANACONDA, MT; Owner: JIMMY RAY CARROLL)
Strongest FM radio stations in Jefferson City:
- KVCM (103.1 FM; HELENA, MT; Owner: HI-LINE RADIO FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
- K210BF (89.9 FM; BUTTE, MT; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- KMTX-FM (105.3 FM; HELENA, MT; Owner: CAPRI, INC)
- KBLL-FM (99.5 FM; HELENA, MT; Owner: HOLTER BROASDCASTING CORPORATION)
- KZMT (101.1 FM; HELENA, MT; Owner: COMMONWEALTH LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
- K246AC (97.1 FM; HELENA, MT; Owner: LAST CHANCE PUBLIC RADIO ASSOCIATION)
- K251AC (98.1 FM; HELENA, MT; Owner: BOARD OF REGENTS-MT UNIV. SYSTEM)
- KAPC (91.3 FM; BUTTE, MT; Owner: THE UNIVERSITY OF MONTANA)
- KOPR (94.1 FM; BUTTE, MT; Owner: BUTTE BROADCASTING INCORPORATED)
- KMBR (95.5 FM; BUTTE, MT; Owner: FISHER RADIO REGIONAL GROUP, INC.)
- K213CJ (90.5 FM; BUTTE, MT; Owner: MONTANA CHRISTIAN RADIO ASSOCIATION)
- KAAR (92.5 FM; BUTTE, MT; Owner: FISHER RADIO REGIONAL GROUP, INC.)
- KUHM (91.7 FM; HELENA, MT; Owner: THE UNIVERSITY OF MONTANA)
- KHKR-FM (104.1 FM; EAST HELENA, MT; Owner: COMMONWEALTH LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
- K213CB (90.5 FM; DEER LODGE, MT; Owner: HI-LINE RADIO FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Jefferson City:
- KMTF (Channel 10; HELENA, MT; Owner: ROCKY MOUNTAIN BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- K08KT (Channel 8; BOULDER, MT; Owner: BOULDER TV ASSN.)
- K36CX (Channel 36; CLANCY, MT; Owner: BOULDER TV TRANSLATOR ASSOCIATION)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 6Number of bridges
- 25m82ftTotal length
- 14,070Total average daily traffic
- 284Total average daily truck traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:7
- Call Sign: K7JM, Licensee ID: L00170211, Grant Date: 09/21/2006, Expiration Date: 12/11/2016, Certifier: John D Mc Dougall, Registrant: John D Mc Dougall, 11 Masters Way, Jefferson City, MT 59638
- Call Sign: KC7VCU, Licensee ID: L00241291, Grant Date: 02/27/2007, Expiration Date: 03/13/2017, Certifier: Steve R Tubbs, Registrant: Steve R Tubbs, Jefferson City, MT 59638
- Call Sign: KE6UQM, Licensee ID: L01236087, Grant Date: 01/20/2007, Expiration Date: 01/20/2017, Registrant: Arthur M Villa, P.O.Box 310, Jefferson City, MT 59638
- Call Sign: W7MKB, Licensee ID: L01017477, Grant Date: 05/12/2015, Expiration Date: 07/05/2025, Registrant: Frank J Kamlowsky, 36 Tizer Lake Road, Jefferson City, MT 59638
- Call Sign: WR7AGT, Previous Call Sign: WB7BED, Licensee ID: L00144213, Grant Date: 07/01/2006, Expiration Date: 07/26/2016, Registrant: Thomas T Gasta, Jefferson City, MT 59638
- Call Sign: KD7QZH, Licensee ID: L00504080, Grant Date: 04/19/2002, Expiration Date: 04/19/2012, Cancellation Date: 05/10/2002, Certifier: Thomas T Gasta, Registrant: Mac Pass Repeater Group, Jefferson City, MT 59638
- Call Sign: WR7HLN, Previous Call Sign: KD7QZH, Licensee ID: L00504080, Grant Date: 02/25/2012, Expiration Date: 05/10/2022, Certifier: Thomas T Gasta, Registrant: Mac Pass Repeater Group, Jefferson City, MT 59638
Drinking water stations with addresses in Jefferson City and their reported violations in the past:T'INGS HAPPEN (Population served: 25, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- 10 routine major monitoring violations
|Most common first names in Jefferson City, MT among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Jefferson City, MT among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (37%)
- Wood (24%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (21%)
- Electricity (14%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (2%)
- Other fuel (2%)
Jefferson City compared to Montana state average:
- Median household income above state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- House age below state average.
Total of 4 patent applications in 2008-2018.