Jefferson, New York
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||46.4 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 12093.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $28,963 (it was $19,569 in 2000)
Jefferson town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $147,275 (it was $80,100 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $177,338; Detached houses: $181,486; Townhouses or other attached units: $424,028; In 2-unit structures: $211,830; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $226,010; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $405,607; Mobile homes: $116,650
Races in Jefferson, NY (2010)
- 1,33894.9%White alone
- 181.3%Two or more races
- 100.7%Black alone
- 30.2%American Indian alone
- 10.07%Asian alone
|Saratoga Springs is NOT sophisticated (56 replies)|
|2 Questions re Biz Journal Article of Aug. 6 (14 replies)|
|Jefferson Heights info about NYC COW PLEASE! (14 replies)|
|Info on Town of Jefferson (2 replies)|
Latest news from Jefferson, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (17.7%), German (14.5%), Italian (14.0%), United States (12.4%), English (10.9%), Dutch (4.4%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1873 feet
Land area: 43.3 square miles.
Population density: 33 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Jefferson:
- High school or higher: 81.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 18.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.0%
- Unemployed: 5.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Jefferson town:
- Never married: 21.6%
- Now married: 59.5%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 7.4%
- Divorced: 9.2%
41 residents are foreign born (2.6% Europe, 0.4% Oceania).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Jefferson town:||2.2% ($1,734)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Schenectady, NY (40.2 miles , pop. 61,821).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Bronx, NY (120.3 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Summit, NY (2.3 miles ), Blenheim, NY (2.3 miles ), Harpersfield, NY (2.4 miles ), Stamford, NY (2.5 miles ), Gilboa, NY (2.9 miles ), Worcester, NY (3.0 miles ), Hobart, NY (3.1 miles ), Richmondville, NY (3.1 miles ).
Latitude: 42.50 N, Longitude: 74.60 W
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (15%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Health care (7%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Utilities (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Truck transportation (3%)
- Educational services (24%)
- Health care (22%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Chemicals (5%)
- Social assistance (4%)
- Food and beverage stores (3%)
- Public administration (3%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (3%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (11%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Cashiers (7%)
- Registered nurses (6%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
Average climate in Jefferson, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Jefferson-area historical tornado activity is near New York state average. It is 59% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/10/1989, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 23.2 miles away from the Jefferson town center injured 20 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 5/31/1998, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 17.7 miles away from the town center injured 3 people and caused $800,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Jefferson-area historical earthquake activity is near New York state average. It is 88% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 101.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 144.5 miles away from Jefferson center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 9.9 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 166.9 miles away from the city center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 167.4 miles away from Jefferson center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 305.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Schoharie County (24) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 14
Emergencies Declared: 10
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 8, Storms: 8, Hurricanes: 5, Snowstorms: 2, Tropical Storms: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Power Outage: 1, Tropical Depression: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Adam Klein (tenor) - Operatic tenor, Ted Chiang - Science fiction writer, Tim Cummings - Actor, Sam Ryan - Sportscaster, Anthony Gelsomino - Actor, Bob Samuelson - Volleyball player, Stephanie Taylor - Artist.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Jefferson:
- SUNY College of Agriculture and Technology at Cobleskill (about 13 miles; Cobleskill, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,455)
- SUNY College of Technology at Delhi (about 23 miles; Delhi, NY; FT enrollment: 2,911)
- SUNY Oneonta (about 24 miles; Oneonta, NY; FT enrollment: 6,081)
- Fulton-Montgomery Community College (about 37 miles; Johnstown, NY; FT enrollment: 2,043)
- Schenectady County Community College (about 40 miles; Schenectady, NY; FT enrollment: 3,676)
- Excelsior College (about 41 miles; Albany, NY; FT enrollment: 4,723)
- Union College (about 41 miles; Schenectady, NY; FT enrollment: 2,075)
Public high school in Jefferson:
- JEFFERSON CENTRAL SCHOOL (Students: 294, Location: 1332 ST RT 10, Grades: PK-12)
User submitted facts and corrections:
- Melanie Connors lives in Jefferson, NY.
- 1 restaurant/bar; 1 gas station with convenience store, 2 United Methodist Churches and 1 Baptist Church, horse boarding facilities, campground, active community center
Notable locations in Jefferson: Baird Corners (A), Buck Hill Farm (B), Jefferson Town Hall (C), Jefferson Volunteer Fire Department (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Jefferson: Trinity Lutheran Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: West Jefferson Cemetery (1), Jefferson Old Village Cemetery (2), Maynard Cemetery (3), Potter Hill Cemetery (4), Evergreen Cemetery (5), Cowley Cemetery (6), Holy Cross Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Stamford Reservoir (A), Utsayantha Lake (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creek: Wharton Hollow Creek (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Hotel: Backstage Bed and Breakfast (107 Tuttle Road) (1). Display/hide its approximate location on the map
|This town:||2.4 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 1.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New York average:||14.2|
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Jefferson town (based on Schoharie County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Schoharie County:||0.63 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Schoharie County:||0.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||0.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Schoharie County:||5.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.83 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
4.75% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,854 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Albany County, NY||0.68% ($39,741 average AGI)|
|from Schenectady County, NY||0.68% ($38,463)|
|from Montgomery County, NY||0.36% ($33,047)|
4.94% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,604 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Jefferson:
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WROW (590 AM; 5 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WCBS (880 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WXBH (1190 AM; 1 kW; COBLESKILL, NY; Owner: NY COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WINS (1010 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WWJZ (640 AM; 50 kW; MOUNT HOLLY, NJ; Owner: ABC, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Jefferson:
- WGKR (105.3 FM; GRAND GORGE, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- WDHI (100.3 FM; DELHI, NY; Owner: BANJO COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC.)
- WJIV (101.9 FM; CHERRY VALLEY, NY; Owner: CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING SYSTEM, LTD.)
- WRIP (97.9 FM; WINDHAM, NY; Owner: RIP RADIO, LLC)
- WMYY (97.3 FM; SCHOHARIE, NY; Owner: CAPITAL MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WAMK (90.9 FM; KINGSTON, NY; Owner: W A M C)
- WAJZ (96.3 FM; VOORHEESVILLE, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WFGB (89.7 FM; KINGSTON, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- WZMR (104.9 FM; ALTAMONT, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WYJB (95.5 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WGNA-FM (107.7 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF MANSFIELD, INC.)
- WMHT-FM (89.1 FM; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: WMHT EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS)
- WRVE (99.5 FM; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPYX (106.5 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WVCR-FM (88.3 FM; LOUDONVILLE, NY; Owner: SIENA COLLEGE)
- WFLY (92.3 FM; TROY, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WSQC-FM (91.7 FM; ONEONTA, NY; Owner: WSKG PUBLIC TELECOMM. COUNCIL)
- WSRK (103.9 FM; ONEONTA, NY; Owner: ULTIMATE B/CASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WBUG-FM (101.1 FM; FORT PLAIN, NY; Owner: ROSER COMMUNICATIONS NETWORK, INC.)
- WDLA-FM (92.1 FM; WALTON, NY; Owner: BANJO COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 4Number of bridges
- 4m13ftTotal length
- $1,948,000Total costs
- 350Total average daily traffic
- 26Total average daily truck traffic
- 449Total future (year 2017) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers:1
- Knack Hill 2.6 Mi Wnw (Lat: 41.793972 Lon: -74.980722), Type: Tower, Structure height: 57 m, Overall height: 61 m, Call Sign: WPLY441
Assigned Frequencies: 150.935 MHzGrant Date: 04/14/1998, Expiration Date: 04/14/2008, Cancellation Date: 12/26/2007, Certifier: Jeanne KillianRegistrant: 301 Benton Hollow Road, Livingston, NY 12758, Phone: (914) 292-4282
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Jefferson Town Square (Lat: 42.479250 Lon: -74.612083), Call Sign: KEF987
Assigned Frequencies: 46.1800 MHzGrant Date: 08/04/2011, Expiration Date: 08/08/2021Registrant: Town Of Jefferson, Jefferson, NY 12093, Phone: (518) 295-2282, Fax: (518) 295-2277, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- BROWNVILLE 2, 24278 Ny State Route 12 (Lat: 44.020528 Lon: -75.918472), Type: Tower, Structure height: 110.6 m, Overall height: 115.5 m, Call Sign: WMQ893
Assigned Frequencies: 6590.00 MHzGrant Date: 03/15/2011, Expiration Date: 02/01/2021, Certifier: Carol L TackerRegistrant: At&t Mobility LLC, 3300 E. Renner Road, B3132, Richardson, TX 75082, Phone: (855) 699-7073, Fax: (972) 907-1131, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Jefferson)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Jefferson and their reported violations in the past:LITTLE LAKE CAMPGROUND (Population served: 50, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
- Treatment Technique (SWTR and GWR) - In JUN-2014. Follow-up actions: St Boil Water Order (JUN-16-2014), St Compliance achieved (JUN-24-2014)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Hazardous Condition: 1
|Most common first names in Jefferson, NY among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Jefferson, NY among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (69%)
- Wood (15%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (8%)
- Electricity (8%)
Jefferson compared to New York state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2017.