|Median resident age:||25.2 years|
|New Mexico median age:||34.6 years|
Jicarilla CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $54,972 (it was $39,700 in 2000)
- American Indian alone - 2,296 (84.1%)
- Hispanic - 323 (11.8%)
- White alone - 75 (2.7%)
- Two or more races - 34 (1.2%)
- Black alone - 1 (0.04%)
Current Local Time: MST time zone
Elevation: 7050 feet
Land area: 1103.3 square miles.
Population density: 2.4 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Jicarilla:
- High school or higher: 77.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.4%
- Unemployed: 14.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 8.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Jicarilla CCD:
- Never married: 44.7%
- Now married: 41.2%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 3.8%
- Divorced: 10.4%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Jicarilla CCD:||0.6% ($255)|
|New Mexico:||0.7% ($699)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Santa Fe, NM (89.4 miles , pop. 62,203).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Albuquerque, NM (105.0 miles , pop. 448,607).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Phoenix, AZ (351.6 miles , pop. 1,321,045).
Nearest cities: Western Rio Arriba, NM (4.4 miles ), Dulce, NM (5.1 miles ), Lumberton, NM (5.1 miles) , Regina, NM (5.3 miles) , Gallina, NM (5.4 miles ), Coyote, NM (5.4 miles ), Los Ojos, NM (5.6 miles) , Navajo Dam, NM (5.7 miles ).
Latitude: 36.57 N, Longitude: 107.10 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 505
Unemployment by year (%)
- Public administration (26%)
- Construction (17%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (9%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (7%)
- Gasoline stations (3%)
- Health care (3%)
- Public administration (31%)
- Educational services (17%)
- Health care (10%)
- Social assistance (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Construction (3%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (3%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (4%)
- Carpenters (4%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (4%)
- Top executives (3%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (14%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (8%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (4%)
Average climate in Jicarilla, New Mexico
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Jicarilla-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above New Mexico state average. It is 197% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/28/1992 at 11:57:34, a magnitude 7.6 (6.2 MB, 7.6 MS, 7.3 MW, Depth: 0.7 mi, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 556.5 miles away from the city center, causing 3 deaths (1 shaking deaths, 2 other deaths) and 400 injuries, causing $100,000,000 total damage and $40,000,000 insured losses
On 10/16/1999 at 09:46:44, a magnitude 7.4 (6.3 MB, 7.4 MS, 7.2 MW, 7.3 ML) earthquake occurred 543.9 miles away from Jicarilla center
On 8/10/2005 at 22:08:22, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 131.7 miles away from the city center
On 5/19/1940 at 04:36:40, a magnitude 7.2 (7.2 UK) earthquake occurred 539.5 miles away from the city center, causing $33,000,000 total damage
On 9/2/1992 at 10:26:20, a magnitude 5.9 (5.7 MB, 5.6 MS, 5.6 MW, 5.9 ML, Depth: 9.3 mi) earthquake occurred 353.9 miles away from Jicarilla center
On 1/29/1990 at 13:16:10, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 LG, Depth: 7.5 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 146.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Rio Arriba County (9) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 3, Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Snows: 2, Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Jicarilla:
- San Juan College (about 61 miles; Farmington, NM; Full-time enrollment: 5,112)
- Fort Lewis College (about 65 miles; Durango, CO; FT enrollment: 3,631)
- Santa Fe Community College (about 92 miles; Santa Fe, NM; FT enrollment: 3,047)
- Adams State University (about 92 miles; Alamosa, CO; FT enrollment: 2,805)
- University of Phoenix-Albuquerque Campus (about 100 miles; Albuquerque, NM; FT enrollment: 2,335)
- University of New Mexico-Main Campus (about 107 miles; Albuquerque, NM; FT enrollment: 23,042)
- Central New Mexico Community College (about 108 miles; Albuquerque, NM; FT enrollment: 19,398)
Notable locations in Jicarilla: Las Norias Windmill (A), Lindrith Pumping Station (B), Ojito Camp (C), Otero Ranch (D), Otero Store (E), Pound Ranch (F), Pounds Mill Guard Station (G), Puerto Chiquito (H), Cedar Springs Lookout (I), Jicarilla Apache Historic District (J), El Poso Ranch (K), Burford Lake Wildlife Station (L), Dulce Weather Station (M), Stone Lake Lodge (N), Jicarilla Library (O), Dulce Fire Department (P), Jicarilla Museum (Q), Jicarilla Emergency Medical Services (R). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Jicarilla include: Dulce Baptist Indian Mission (A), Dulce Assembly of God Church (B), Saint Berard Parish (C), Jicarilla Apache Reformed Church (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Wirt Cemetery (1), Martinez Cemetery (2), Gomez Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Atole Pond (A), Muniz Pond (B), Luna Lake (C), Martinez Pond (D), Santiago Pond (E), Cinnamon Lake (F), Pine Lake (G), Lower Leavry Pond (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Amargo Creek (A), North Prong (B), Canada de Tio Roque (C), Dulce Creek (D), Largo Creek (E), Arroyo Archuleta (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Jicarilla: Jicarilla Apache Reservation Historical Marker (1). Display/hide its location on the map
|This place:||3.3 people|
|New Mexico:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Jicarilla compared to New Mexico state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (85%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (7%)
- Wood (4%)
- Electricity (4%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Jicarilla CCD (based on Rio Arriba County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 63.21%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||International Church of the Foursquare Gospel||LDS (Mormon) Church||Assemblies of God||United Methodist Church|
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Seventh-Day Adventist Church||Reformed Church in America||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Rio Arriba County:||1.72 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Mexico:||1.44 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|Rio Arriba County:||0.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Mexico:||0.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|Rio Arriba County:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Rio Arriba County:||21.0%|
4.87% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,246 average adjusted gross income)
|New Mexico average:||6.50%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Santa Fe County, NM||1.19% ($27,329 average AGI)|
|from Bernalillo County, NM||0.69% ($25,474)|
|from San Juan County, NM||0.69% ($27,278)|
5.20% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,104 average adjusted gross income)
|New Mexico average:||6.43%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Jicarilla:
- KKOB (770 AM; 50 kW; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KTNN (660 AM; 50 kW; WINDOW ROCK, AZ; Owner: THE NAVAJO NATION)
- KHAC (880 AM; 43 kW; TSE BONITO, NM; Owner: WESTERN INDIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- KENN (1390 AM; 10 kW; FARMINGTON, NM; Owner: WINTON ROAD BROADCASTING CO, LLC)
- KNZZ (1100 AM; 50 kW; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: M B C GRAND BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KNDN (960 AM; 5 kW; FARMINGTON, NM; Owner: BASIN BROADCASTING CO.)
- KIUP (930 AM; 5 kW; DURANGO, CO; Owner: FOUR CORNERS BROADCASTING, LLC)
- KRZE (1280 AM; 5 kW; FARMINGTON, NM; Owner: J. THOMAS DEVELOPMENT OF NM, INC.)
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KKIM (1000 AM; 10 kW; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: AGM-NEVADA, LLC)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KDCE (950 AM; 4 kW; ESPANOLA, NM; Owner: RICHARD L. GARCIA BROADCASTING, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Jicarilla:
- KCIE (90.5 FM; DULCE, NM; Owner: JICARILLA APACHE TRIBE)
- KBOM (94.7 FM; SANTA FE, NM; Owner: AGM NEVADA, LLC)
- K244DO (96.7 FM; ALAMOSA, ETC., CO; Owner: SAN LUIS VALLEY TELEVISION, INC.)
- K287AA (105.3 FM; PAGOSA SPRINGS, ETC., CO; Owner: KUTE, INC.)
- KWUF-FM (106.3 FM; PAGOSA SPRINGS, CO; Owner: WOLF CREEK BROADCASTING, LLC)
- KKFG (104.5 FM; BLOOMFIELD, NM; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- K216CU (91.1 FM; CUBA, NM; Owner: BOARD OF REGENTS UNIV. OF NEW MEXICO)
- KRZA (88.7 FM; ALAMOSA, CO; Owner: EQUAL REPRESENTATION/MEDIA ADVOCACY)
- KDAG (96.9 FM; FARMINGTON, NM; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1