Johnsburg, New York
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||46.8 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 12853.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $27,539 (it was $16,740 in 2000)
Johnsburg town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $163,721 (it was $78,500 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $245,073; Detached houses: $242,870; Townhouses or other attached units: $90,141; In 2-unit structures: over $1,000,000; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $228,444; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $403,509; Mobile homes: $49,734
Races in Johnsburg, NY (2010)
- 2,32897.2%White alone
- 100.4%Two or more races
- 70.3%Black alone
- 70.3%American Indian alone
- 60.3%Asian alone
- 40.2%Other race alone
|Moving to Adirondacks from NYC (75 replies)|
|Warrensburg / Queensbury /Johnsburg area (1 reply)|
|Schoharie County Wind Farm Notification (45 replies)|
|Hamilton County Schools........ (3 replies)|
|Top-Rated Public School Districts in Syracuse area (6 replies)|
Latest news from Johnsburg, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (19.7%), English (16.0%), German (12.4%), United States (11.7%), French (9.7%), Italian (4.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1287 feet
Land area: 204.3 square miles.
Population density: 12 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Johnsburg:
- High school or higher: 75.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 16.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.3%
- Unemployed: 6.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 27.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Johnsburg town:
- Never married: 19.8%
- Now married: 57.9%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 9.9%
- Divorced: 9.8%
56 residents are foreign born (1.6% Europe, 0.4% Asia, 0.3% North America).
According to our research of New York and other state lists, there was 1 registered sex offender living in Johnsburg, New York as of July 17, 2019.
The ratio of all residents to sex offenders in Johnsburg is 2,395 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Johnsburg town:||1.3% ($1,026)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Schenectady, NY (58.2 miles , pop. 61,821).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (173.5 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (193.5 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: North Creek, NY (2.0 miles ), Thurman, NY (3.1 miles ), Chestertown, NY (3.2 miles ), Pottersville, NY (3.3 miles ), Minerva, NY (3.7 miles ), Horicon, NY (3.8 miles ), Stony Creek, NY (3.9 miles ), Warrensburg, NY (3.9 miles ).
Latitude: 43.64 N, Longitude: 74.00 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 518
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (21%)
- Accommodation and food services (13%)
- Nonmetallic mineral products (6%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (4%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (4%)
- Health care (20%)
- Educational services (17%)
- Accommodation and food services (14%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (7%)
- Finance and insurance (7%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Sporting goods, camera, and hobby and toy stores (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Carpenters (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (5%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
- Cashiers (5%)
Average climate in Johnsburg, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Johnsburg-area historical tornado activity is below New York state average. It is 80% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/28/1973, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 20.7 miles away from the Johnsburg town center .
On 7/10/1989, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 62.2 miles away from the town center injured 20 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Johnsburg-area historical earthquake activity is near New York state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 27.3 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 60.1 miles away from Johnsburg center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 120.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 24.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 60.6 miles away from Johnsburg center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 77.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Warren County (14) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 9
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 6, Storms: 6, Hurricanes: 4, Blizzard: 1, Earthquake: 1, Power Outage: 1, Tornado: 1, Wind: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Wilbur Olin Atwater - Agricultural chemist, Jeanne Robert Foster - Poet.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Johnsburg:
- Adirondack Community College (about 27 miles; Queensbury, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,826)
- Skidmore College (about 40 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; FT enrollment: 2,753)
- SUNY Empire State College (about 41 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; FT enrollment: 9,473)
- Castleton State College (about 42 miles; Castleton, VT; FT enrollment: 2,079)
- Fulton-Montgomery Community College (about 48 miles; Johnstown, NY; FT enrollment: 2,043)
- Middlebury College (about 49 miles; Middlebury, VT; FT enrollment: 3,077)
- Union College (about 58 miles; Schenectady, NY; FT enrollment: 2,075)
Notable locations in Johnsburg: Gobbler's Knob Farm (A), Adirondack Tri - County Health Care Center (B), Town of Johnsburg Library (C), North River Fire Department (D), North Creek Fire House (E), Wevertown Volunteer Fire Company (F), Baker Mills - Sodom Volunteer Fire (G), Johnsburg Volunteer Fire Department (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Johnsburg: Calvary Bible Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Bates Cemetery (1), Saint James Catholic Cemetery (2), Wakley Cemetery (3), Wevertown Cemetery (4), North Creek Union Cemetery (5). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Kibby Pond (A), Mud Pond (B), Mud Ponds (C), North Pond (D), Ordway Pond (E), Oven Mountain Pond (F), Peaked Mountain Pond (G), Puffer Pond (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Glen Creek (A), Paintbed Brook (B), Peaked Mountain Brook (C), Pine Ridge Brook (D), Putnam Brook (E), Raymond Brook (F), Straight Brook (G), Balm of Gilead Brook (H), Roaring Brook (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||2.3 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
6 people in group homes intended for adults in 2010
People in group quarters in Johnsburg in 2000:
- 79 people in nursing homes
- 5 people in homes for the mentally retarded
- 5 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New York average:||14.2|
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Johnsburg town (based on Warren County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Warren County:||4.70 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.15 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Warren County:||0.46 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||0.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Warren County:||5.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||20.64 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
6.48% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($41,192 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Saratoga County, NY||1.67% ($37,897 average AGI)|
|from Washington County, NY||1.64% ($29,869)|
|from Albany County, NY||0.21% ($51,831)|
6.62% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($35,791 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
0.05% of residents moved to foreign countries ($761 average AGI)
Warren County: 0.05% New York average: 0.11%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Johnsburg:
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WIRD (920 AM; 5 kW; LAKE PLACID, NY; Owner: RADIO LAKE PLACID INC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Johnsburg:
- WXLG (89.9 FM; NORTH CREEK, NY; Owner: THE ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY)
- WKBE (100.3 FM; WARRENSBURG, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WCKM-FM (99.1 FM; LAKE GEORGE, NY; Owner: ENTERTRONICS, INC.)
- WNYQ (105.7 FM; QUEENSBURY, NY; Owner: VOX NEW YORK, L.L.C.)
- WXLH (91.3 FM; BLUE MOUNTAIN LAKE, NY; Owner: THE ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WBAR-FM (94.7 FM; LAKE LUZERNE, NY; Owner: CAPITAL MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCQL (95.9 FM; GLENS FALLS, NY; Owner: ENTERTRONICS, INC.)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WRGR (102.3 FM; TUPPER LAKE, NY; Owner: RADIO LAKE PLACID, INC.)
- WDEV-FM (96.1 FM; WARREN, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WFFG-FM (107.1 FM; CORINTH, NY; Owner: VOX NEW YORK, L.L.C.)
- WNGN (91.9 FM; ARGYLE, NY; Owner: NORTHEAST GOSPEL BROADCASTING INC)
- WKRD (93.7 FM; SCOTIA, NY; Owner: DOT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEXP (101.5 FM; BRANDON, VT; Owner: VOX VERMONT, L.L.C.)
TV broadcast stations around Johnsburg:
- W07BH (Channel 7; NORTH CREEK, ETC., NY; Owner: TOWN OF JOHNSBURG)
- W11AW (Channel 11; NORTH CREEK, ETC., NY; Owner: TOWN OF JOHNSBURG)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 34Number of bridges
- 71m233ftTotal length
- $24,846,000Total costs
- 24,040Total average daily traffic
- 2,424Total average daily truck traffic
- 31,129Total future (year 2029) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
- 1Before 1900
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Johnsburg)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:2
- 1900 W Of Peaceful Valley Rd (Lat: 43.684500 Lon: -73.998472), Type: Building, Structure height: 5 m, Call Sign: WPFZ370, Licensee ID: L00908116
Assigned Frequencies: 173.287 MHzGrant Date: 10/17/2014, Expiration Date: 11/10/2024Registrant: Johnsburg, Town Of, 219 Main Street, North Creek, NY 12853, Phone: (518) 251-2421, Fax: (518) 251-9991, Email:
- RS2_WARREN, 8 Mi. W From Johnsburg, Ny On Sr 8 (Lat: 43.609167 Lon: -74.069167), Type: Tower, Structure height: 45.7 m, Call Sign: WPVB232
Assigned Frequencies: 855.737 MHz, 857.737 MHz, 855.462 MHz, 856.762 MHz, 857.762 MHz, 859.762 MHz, 860.762 MHz, 855.237 MHz, 855.712 MHz, 860.737 MHz... (+12 more)Grant Date: 06/11/2002, Expiration Date: 06/11/2012, Cancellation Date: 11/17/2010, Certifier: Thomas J CowperRegistrant: Nys Dhses Office Of Interoperable And Emergency Communications, State Office Campus Building 22, 1220 Washington Ave, Albany, NY 12226, Phone: (518) 322-4912, Fax: (518) 322-4975, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:3
- GORE MTN., 360 Gore Mountain Road (Lat: 43.672306 Lon: -74.049278), Type: Tower, Structure height: 18.6 m, Overall height: 24.7 m, Call Sign: WQCI836
Assigned Frequencies: 10551.2 MHzGrant Date: 02/10/2015, Expiration Date: 03/15/2025, Certifier: Carol L TackerRegistrant: At&t Mobility LLC, 1120 20th Street, Nw - Suite 1000, Washington, DC 20036, Phone: (202) 457-2055, Fax: (202) 457-3073, Email:
- GORE, Gore Mountain Road (Lat: 43.673056 Lon: -74.048750), Type: Ltower, Structure height: 20.1 m, Call Sign: WQPJ302
Assigned Frequencies: 6197.24 MHz, 6256.54 MHzGrant Date: 06/04/2012, Expiration Date: 06/04/2022, Certifier: Donald S JanquishRegistrant: Essex County Emergency Services, 702 Stowersville Rd., Lewis, NY 12950, Phone: (518) 873-3900, Fax: (518) 873-3963, Email:
- GORE MTN, Gore Mountain Road (Lat: 43.672917 Lon: -74.048750), Type: Tower, Structure height: 44.2 m, Overall height: 50 m, Call Sign: WQPK684
Assigned Frequencies: 6355.37 MHzGrant Date: 06/15/2012, Expiration Date: 06/15/2022, Certifier: Lawrence E JeffordsRegistrant: Warren County Sheriff\'s Office, 1400 State Route 9, Lake George, NY 12845, Phone: (518) 743-2504, Fax: (518) 743-2519, Email:
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: CESSNA 172S (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: LYCOMING I0360 SER (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 851SP , Serial Number: 172S8759, Airworthiness Date: 03/12/2001
Registrant (Individual): Donald C Preuninger, Po Box 231, Johnsburg, NY 12843
Drinking water stations with addresses in Johnsburg and their reported violations in the past:J & J FOXX LAIR TAVERN (Population served: 25, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - Between JUL-2006 and SEP-2006, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (OCT-25-2006), St Public Notif requested (OCT-25-2006), St Compliance achieved (FEB-16-2011)
- MCL, Acute (TCR) - In JUL-2006, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (AUG-08-2006), St Public Notif requested (AUG-08-2006), St Compliance achieved (APR-29-2011)
- Monitoring, Repeat Major (TCR) - Between OCT-2007 and DEC-2007, Contaminant: Coliform (TCR). Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (FEB-19-2008), St Formal NOV issued (FEB-19-2008), St Compliance achieved (FEB-16-2011)
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
- 3 regular monitoring violations
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Hazardous Condition: 3
|Most common first names in Johnsburg, NY among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Johnsburg, NY among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (73%)
- Wood (17%)
- Electricity (7%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (4%)
Johnsburg compared to New York state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.