We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||45.2 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04648.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $24,540 (it was $14,418 in 2000)
Jonesboro town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $121,222 (it was $71,200 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $168,925; Detached houses: $188,029; Townhouses or other attached units: $106,762; In 2-unit structures: $161,614; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $346,963; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $331,181; Mobile homes: $70,848; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $41,942
Races in Jonesboro, ME (2010)
- 56296.4%White alone
- 91.5%Two or more races
- 30.5%American Indian alone
- 20.3%Asian alone
- 10.2%Black alone
- 10.2%Other race alone
|Vermont vs. Maine (32 replies)|
|Can anyone offer info about living in Machias, ME area? (46 replies)|
|Photos of Maine (4365 replies)|
|Little guidance on Oct. vacation please (12 replies)|
|Tom Selleck in Jonesboro? (23 replies)|
|Looking for Realtor/Land Between Gouldsboro-Jonesboro (1 reply)|
Latest news from Jonesboro, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Jonesboro, ME City Guides:
Ancestries: English (30.8%), Irish (15.2%), German (10.1%), French (6.9%), Scottish (6.6%), Polish (3.7%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 03/04/1809
Land area: 36.7 square miles.
Population density: 16 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Jonesboro:
- High school or higher: 87.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 17.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.1%
- Unemployed: 2.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Jonesboro town:
- Never married: 16.9%
- Now married: 67.6%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 4.9%
- Divorced: 10.6%
3 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there were 5 registered sex offenders living in Jonesboro, Maine as of January 18, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Jonesboro to the number of sex offenders is 122 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Jonesboro town:||1.1% ($765)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (149.5 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (238.6 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (413.7 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Centerville, ME (2.0 miles) , Whitneyville, ME (2.3 miles ), Columbia Falls, ME (2.5 miles ), Roque Bluffs, ME (2.6 miles ), Marshfield, ME (2.7 miles ), Machias, ME (2.7 miles ), Jonesport, ME (2.7 miles ), Addison, ME (3.0 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1998: 4 buildings, average cost: $55,000
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $55,000
- 2000: 1 building, cost: $55,000
- 2001: 1 building, cost: $55,000
- 2002: 3 buildings, average cost: $130,700
- 2003: 3 buildings, average cost: $83,300
- 2004: 10 buildings, average cost: $138,800
- 2005: 10 buildings, average cost: $50,000
- 2006: 9 buildings, average cost: $50,000
- 2007: 8 buildings, average cost: $181,200
- 2008: 6 buildings, average cost: $181,200
- 2009: 5 buildings, average cost: $181,200
- 2010: 5 buildings, average cost: $181,200
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $172,800
- 2012: 5 buildings, average cost: $184,000
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $30,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 44.66 N, Longitude: 67.60 W
Area code: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (20%)
- Construction (13%)
- Truck transportation (9%)
- Health care (8%)
- Repair and maintenance (6%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (4%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Educational services (22%)
- Health care (19%)
- Accommodation and food services (14%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Social assistance (6%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (4%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (16%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (13%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (10%)
- Carpenters (7%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (11%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (11%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (8%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (8%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Waiters and waitresses (6%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
Average climate in Jonesboro, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Jonesboro-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Maine state average. It is 94% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 34.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 301.8 miles away from Jonesboro center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 214.6 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 337.4 miles away from the city center
On 9/25/2005 at 03:08:57, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 LG, 3.4 LG, Depth: 4.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 31.1 miles away from Jonesboro center
On 9/16/1994 at 07:01:54, a magnitude 3.6 (3.5 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 53.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Washington County (19) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 11, Storms: 10, Snows: 5, Winds: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
airports located in Jonesboro:
- Drisko Airport (05ME) (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Jonesboro:
- University of Maine (about 56 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 60 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 111 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 126 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 149 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 150 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 155 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
Public elementary/middle school in Jonesboro:
- JONESBORO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Location: 57 SCHOOL ROAD, Grades: PK-8)
Notable locations in Jonesboro: Jonesboro Station (A), Sunkhaze Campground (B), Jonesboro Volunteer Fire Department (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Arna Meadow Brook (A), Tide Mill Creek (B), White Creek (C), Dry Brook (D), Libby Creek (E), Ebenezer Brook (F), Beaver Brook (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotel: Blueberry Patch Motel (USRoute 1 N Road) (1). Display/hide its approximate location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 79.5. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 32.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 4.7 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.8% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Jonesboro town (based on Washington County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Washington County:||4.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington County:||1.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington County:||9.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||11.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
4.44% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($46,571 average adjusted gross income)
0.14% of residents moved from foreign countries ($798 average AGI)
Washington County: 0.14% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.56% ($25,985 average AGI)|
|from Hancock County, ME||0.38% ($33,364)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.29% ($38,176)|
4.37% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,225 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Jonesboro:
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WDEA (1370 AM; 5 kW; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Jonesboro:
- WALZ-FM (95.3 FM; MACHIAS, ME; Owner: WILLIAM MCVICAR & ROGER HOLST, GEN. PARTNERSHIP)
- WNSX (97.7 FM; WINTER HARBOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHCF (88.5 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WBQI (107.7 FM; BAR HARBOR, ME; Owner: MARINER BROADCASTING, L.P.)
- WMED (89.7 FM; CALAIS, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WCRQ (102.9 FM; DENNYSVILLE, ME; Owner: WQDY, INC.)
Jonesboro fatal accident list:
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 2Number of bridges
- 6m20ftTotal length
- 4,285Total average daily traffic
- 377Total average daily truck traffic
- 6,020Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Jonesboro)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- JONESBORO, Rt 1a (Lat: 44.692389 Lon: -67.534250), Type: Bant, Structure height: 15 m, Overall height: 20 m, Call Sign: WQJF447
Assigned Frequencies: 154.830 MHz, 155.850 MHz, 158.730 MHzGrant Date: 08/19/2008, Expiration Date: 08/19/2018, Certifier: Mark W PooleRegistrant: State Of Maine, State House Station 138, Augusta, ME 04333-0138, Phone: (207) 624-9933, Fax: (207) 287-5623, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- JONESBORO, Us Route 1 (Lat: 44.636972 Lon: -67.626139), Type: Gtower, Structure height: 101.2 m, Overall height: 103.6 m, Call Sign: WQQQ784
Assigned Frequencies: 11225.0 MHzGrant Date: 02/13/2013, Expiration Date: 02/13/2023, Certifier: John E MondayRegistrant: At&t Mobility LLC, 3300 E. Renner Road, B3132, Richardson, TX 75082, Phone: (855) 699-7073, Fax: (972) 907-1131, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Jonesboro)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Jonesboro and their reported violations in the past:AOS 96 JONESBORO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Population served: 72, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- OCCT/SOWT Study/Recommendation - In FEB-15-2006, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (MAR-20-2006), St Compliance achieved (APR-28-2007)
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In JUL-01-2011, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (AUG-25-2011), St Formal NOV issued (AUG-25-2011), St Compliance achieved (MAR-01-2013), St Public Notif received (MAR-18-2013)
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In JAN-01-2008, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (APR-02-2008), St Formal NOV issued (APR-02-2008), St Public Notif received (APR-11-2008), St Compliance achieved (JUL-15-2008)
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In JUL-01-2007, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (APR-02-2008), St Formal NOV issued (APR-02-2008), St Public Notif received (APR-11-2008), St Compliance achieved (JUL-15-2008)
- Water Quality Parameter M/R - Between AUG-15-2005 and FEB-14-2006, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (MAR-20-2006), St Compliance achieved (APR-28-2007)
- 4 routine major monitoring violations
- 4 regular monitoring violations
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 7
- Hazardous Condition: 3
- Service Call: 1
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Jonesboro
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (83%)
- Wood (13%)
- Electricity (2%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Jonesboro compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Total of 3 patent applications in 2008-2017.