|Median resident age:||36.7 years|
|West Virginia median age:||38.9 years|
Zip code: 25414
Kabletown district income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $268,846 (it was $128,700 in 2000)
- White alone - 9,450 (93.8%)
- Black alone - 307 (3.0%)
- Hispanic - 125 (1.2%)
- Two or more races - 93 (0.9%)
- Asian alone - 63 (0.6%)
- American Indian alone - 27 (0.3%)
- Other race alone - 6 (0.06%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 2 (0.02%)
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 71.4 square miles.
Population density: 170 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Kabletown district:
- High school or higher: 83.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 23.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.5%
- Unemployed: 3.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 41.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Kabletown district:
- Never married: 19.7%
- Now married: 66.2%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 4.1%
- Divorced: 10.0%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Kabletown district:||0.6% ($713)|
|West Virginia:||0.6% ($378)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Frederick, MD (26.9 miles , pop. 52,767).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Washington, DC (50.3 miles , pop. 572,059).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (153.9 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Shannondale, WV (1.7 miles ), Charles Town, WV (1.9 miles ), Corporation of Ranson, WV (2.2 miles ), Shenandoah Retreat, VA (2.6 miles ), Hillsboro, VA (2.7 miles) , Round Hill, VA (2.9 miles ), Middleway, WV (2.9 miles ), Bolivar, WV (2.9 miles ).
Latitude: 39.23 N, Longitude: 77.86 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 304
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (21%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (4%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (3%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Health care (11%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (9%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (4%)
- Social assistance (3%)
- Computer specialists (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Carpenters (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Customer service representatives (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Cashiers (4%)
- Registered nurses (4%)
Average climate in Kabletown district, West Virginia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Kabletown district-area historical tornado activity is significantly above West Virginia state average. It is 7% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/24/2001, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 35.4 miles away from the Kabletown district city center injured 2 people and caused $2 million in damages.
On 11/16/1989, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 4.3 miles away from the city center injured 3 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Kabletown district-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below West Virginia state average. It is 84% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 205.7 miles away from the city center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 123.0 miles away from Kabletown district center
On 12/9/2003 at 20:59:14, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB, 4.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 113.8 miles away from the city center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 239.0 miles away from the city center
On 1/16/1994 at 00:42:43, a magnitude 4.2 (4.2 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 124.1 miles away from Kabletown district center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 336.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Jefferson County (11) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 9
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Hurricanes: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Snowstorms: 2, Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Landslide: 1, Mudslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tornado: 1, Tropical Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Kabletown district:
- WILLOW TREE MANOR (Nursing Home, about 4 miles away; CHARLES TOWN, WV)
- WVUH-EAST HOME HEALTH CARE (Home Health Center, about 5 miles away; CHARLES TOWN, WV)
- JEFFERSON MEDICAL CENTER Critical Access Hospitals (about 5 miles away; RANSON, WV)
- JEFFERSON MEM. HOSPITAL, D/P (Nursing Home, about 5 miles away; RANSON, WV)
- GOLDEN LIVINGCENTER-ROSE HILL (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; BERRYVILLE, VA)
- ROSE HILL NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; BERRYVILLE, VA)
- PURCELLVILLE DIALYSIS CENTER (Dialysis Facility, about 10 miles away; PURCELLVILLE, VA)
Amtrak stations near Kabletown district:
- 10 miles: HARPERS FERRY (POTOMAC ST.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, public transit connection.
- 17 miles: MARTINSBURG (229 E. MARTIN ST.) . Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, paid short-term parking, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Kabletown district:
- American Public University System (about 4 miles; Charles Town, WV; Full-time enrollment: 43,829)
- Shepherd University (about 15 miles; Shepherdstown, WV; FT enrollment: 3,745)
- Shenandoah University (about 17 miles; Winchester, VA; FT enrollment: 3,010)
- Lord Fairfax Community College (about 26 miles; Middletown, VA; FT enrollment: 4,144)
- Frederick Community College (about 28 miles; Frederick, MD; FT enrollment: 3,798)
- Hagerstown Community College (about 30 miles; Hagerstown, MD; FT enrollment: 3,220)
- Stratford University (about 39 miles; Fairfax, VA; FT enrollment: 2,570)
Notable locations in Kabletown district: Locust Hill Golf Course (A), Keys Gap Lean-to (B), Summit Point Raceway Association Incorporated Ambulance (C), Blue Ridge Mountain Volunteer Fire Company 5 - 1 (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Kabletown district include: Saint Johns Episcopal Church (A), Kabletown Church (B), Beulah Church (C), Saint Johns Church (D), Saint Andrews Church (E), Mission Tabernacle (F), Prosperity Church (G), Oakland Church (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Fairview Cemetery (1), Franklintown Cemetery (2), Jamestown Prosperity Cemetery (3), Kabletown Churchyard Cemetery (4), Washington Burial Ground (5). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Hog Run (A), Furnace Run (B), Bullskin Run (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Kabletown district: Shannondale Springs Wildlife Management Area (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 82.1. This is about average.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 7.35. This is about average. Closest monitor was 13.7 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 29.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 12.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 16.0. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 12.6 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 11.4. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 12.5 miles away from the city center.
|This city:||2.7 people|
|West Virginia:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Kabletown district compared to West Virginia state average:
- Median household income above state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (65%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (14%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (13%)
- Wood (7%)
- Utility gas (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Kabletown district (based on Jefferson County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 33.15%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||United Methodist Church||Catholic Church||Southern Baptist Convention||Episcopal Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America|
|Name||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Assemblies of God||LDS (Mormon) Church||International Pentecostal Church of Christ||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Jefferson County:||1.58 / 10,000 pop.|
|West Virginia:||2.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.28 / 10,000 pop.|
|Jefferson County:||0.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|West Virginia:||1.09 / 10,000 pop.|
|Jefferson County:||3.15 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.22 / 10,000 pop.|
7.43% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($45,573 average adjusted gross income)
|West Virginia average:||5.16%|
0.05% of residents moved from foreign countries ($511 average AGI)
Jefferson County: 0.05% West Virginia average: 0.01%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Berkeley County, WV||1.61% ($35,364 average AGI)|
|from Frederick County, MD||0.70% ($44,092)|
|from Loudoun County, VA||0.61% ($49,885)|
6.45% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($43,964 average adjusted gross income)
|West Virginia average:||5.13%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Kabletown district:
- WMRE (1550 AM; 5 kW; CHARLESTOWN, WV; Owner: CLEVELAND RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- WTRI (1520 AM; daytime; 17 kW; BRUNSWICK, MD; Owner: JMK COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WMET (1150 AM; 50 kW; GAITHERSBURG, MD; Owner: BELTWAY ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
- WKCW (1420 AM; 50 kW; WARRENTON, VA; Owner: WAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WAGE (1200 AM; 5 kW; LEESBURG, VA; Owner: RADIO WAGE, INC.)
- WTEM (980 AM; 50 kW; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WTOP (1500 AM; 50 kW; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: BONNEVILLE HOLDING COMPANY)
- WBAL (1090 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: HEARST RADIO, INC.)
- WGOP (700 AM; daytime; 25 kW; WALKERSVILLE, MD; Owner: BIRACH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WPGC (1580 AM; 50 kW; MORNINGSIDE, MD; Owner: INFINITY WPGC(AM), INC.)
- WUST (1120 AM; daytime; 20 kW; WASHINGTON, DC)
- WWGB (1030 AM; daytime; 50 kW; INDIAN HEAD, MD; Owner: GOOD BODY MEDIA, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Kabletown district:
- WXVA-FM (98.3 FM; CHARLES TOWN, WV; Owner: CLEVELAND RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- W228BA (93.5 FM; LEESBURG, VA; Owner: CSN INTERNATIONAL)
- WINC-FM (92.5 FM; WINCHESTER, VA; Owner: MID ATLANTIC NETWORK, INC.)
- WLTF (97.5 FM; MARTINSBURG, WV; Owner: PRETTYMAN BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WTRM (91.3 FM; WINCHESTER, VA; Owner: TIMBER RIDGE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WFRE (99.9 FM; FREDERICK, MD; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W219BX (91.7 FM; FREDERICK, MD; Owner: CEDAR RIDGE CHILDREN'S HOME & SCHOOL, INC)
- WWRE (105.5 FM; BERRYVILLE, VA; Owner: MID ATLANTIC NETWORK, INC.)
- WARX (106.9 FM; HAGERSTOWN, MD; Owner: MANNING BROADCASTING INC.)
- WWVZ (103.9 FM; BRADDOCK HEIGHTS, MD; Owner: BONNEVILLE HOLDING COMPANY)
- WAYZ-FM (104.7 FM; HAGERSTOWN, MD; Owner: HJV LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WETH (89.1 FM; HAGERSTOWN, MD; Owner: GREATER WASHINGTON EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS ASSN.)
- W243AF (96.5 FM; FLINT HILL, VA; Owner: CSN INTERNATIONAL)
- WUSQ-FM (102.5 FM; WINCHESTER, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WAFY (103.1 FM; MIDDLETOWN, MD; Owner: FREDERICK BROADCASTING LLC)
- WCRH (90.5 FM; WILLIAMSPORT, MD; Owner: CEDAR RIDGE CHILDREN'S HOME & SCHOOL, INC)
- WPER (89.9 FM; CULPEPER, VA; Owner: POSITIVE ALTERNATIVE RADIO INC.)
- WEEO-FM (103.7 FM; MCCONNELLSBURG, PA; Owner: ALLEGHENY MOUNTAIN NETWORK)
- WMXH-FM (105.7 FM; LURAY, VA; Owner: EASY RADIO, INC.)
- WDZN (100.1 FM; ROMNEY, WV; Owner: CHARTER EQUITIES, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Kabletown district:
- WFPT (Channel 62; FREDERICK, MD; Owner: MARYLAND PUBLIC BROADCASTING COMMISSION)
- WWPX (Channel 60; MARTINSBURG, WV; Owner: PAXSON WASHINGTON-60 LICENSE, INC.)
- W52AS (Channel 52; FREDERICK, MD; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WAZW-CA (Channel 48; WINCHESTER, VA; Owner: RUARCH ASSOCIATES LLC)
- WAZF-CA (Channel 28; FRONT ROYAL, VA; Owner: RUARCH ASSOCIATES LLC)
Kabletown district on our top lists:
- #61 on the list of "Top 100 cities with longest commuting times (pop. 5,000+)"