Hancock County has a predicted average indoor radon screening level greater than 4 pCi/L (pico curies per liter) - Highest Potential
Air pollution and air quality trends
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2009 was 34.2. This is about average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µ/m3] level in 2009 was 10.5. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.1 miles away from the city center.
(lower is better)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Kanawha and their reported violations in the past:
KANAWHA WATER SUPPLY (Population served: 739, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- 2 regular monitoring violations
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2009: 9.4%
(9.5% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 0.0% for Black residents)
Average household size:
Percentage of family households:
|This city: || 2.2 people|
|Iowa: || 2.4 people|
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
|This city: || 57.4%|
|Whole state: || 66.4%|
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
|This city: || 4.5%|
|Whole state: || 4.9%|
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Detailed information about poverty and poor residents in Kanawha, IA
42 people in nursing homes
Kanawha compared to Iowa state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Back to the top
Banks with branches in Kanawha (2011 data):
- First Citizens National Bank: Kanawha Branch at 220 North Main Street, branch established on 1800/01/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $1,022.1 mil, Deposits: $744.4 mil, headquarters in Mason City, IA, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 10 total offices, Holding Company: First Citizens Financial Corp.
Educational Attainment (%)
School Enrollment by Level of School (%)
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (83%)
- Electricity (14%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (2%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
- No fuel used (1%)
2004 Presidential Election results in Hancock County Iowa:
Religion statistics for Kanawha (based on Hancock County data)
Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 77.94%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||United Methodist Church||Catholic Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Lutheran Church||United Church of Christ|
Source: Jones, Dale E., et al. 2002. Congregations and Membership in the United States 2000. Nashville, TN: Glenmary Research Center.
|Name||Christian Reformed Church in North America||Evangelical Free Church of America||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Reformed Church in the United States||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
Number of grocery stores:
|Hancock County:||3.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (with gas):
|Hancock County:||8.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||5.55 / 10,000 pop.|Number of full-service restaurants:
|This county:||8.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.01 / 10,000 pop.|Adult diabetes rate:
|Iowa:||7.8%|Adult obesity rate:
|State:||27.3%|Low-income preschool obesity rate:
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
||Monthly full-time payroll
||Average yearly full-time wage
||Monthly part-time payroll
|Other Government Administration
|Police Protection - Officers
|Streets and Highways
|Totals for Government
Kanawha government finances in 2002:
- Charges - Sewerage: $48,000 ($73.85)
- Current Operations - Police Protection: $67,000 ($103.08)
Regular Highways: $59,000 ($90.77)
Water Utilities: $44,000 ($67.69)
General Public Buildings: $24,000 ($36.92)
Libraries: $23,000 ($35.38)
Financial Administration: $22,000 ($33.85)
Sewerage: $22,000 ($33.85)
Parks & Recreation: $19,000 ($29.23)
Fire Protection: $11,000 ($16.92)
General - Other: $7,000 ($10.77)
Central Staff Services: $6,000 ($9.23)
- General - Interest on Debt: $42,000 ($64.62)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $23,000 ($35.38)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $837,000 ($1287.69)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $560,000 ($861.54)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Other, NEC: $221,000 ($340.00)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $56,000 ($86.15)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $56,000 ($86.15)
Property Sale Other: $8,000 ($12.31)
Interest Earnings: $4,000 ($6.15)
Rents: $1,000 ($1.54)
- Other Capital Outlay - Fire Protection: $56,000 ($86.15)
Water Utilities: $47,000 ($72.31)
Regular Highways: $37,000 ($56.92)
Police Protection: $6,000 ($9.23)
Parks & Recreation: $2,000 ($3.08)
Libraries: $2,000 ($3.08)
Sewerage: $1,000 ($1.54)
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $195,000 ($300.00)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $82,000 ($126.15)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $59,000 ($90.77)
All Other: $33,000 ($50.77)
General Support: $18,000 ($27.69)
- Tax - Property: $178,000 ($273.85)
Total General Sales: $38,000 ($58.46)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $104,000 ($160.00)
5.71% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($32,239 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
6.70% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($33,277 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Kanawha:
- KWMT (540 AM; 5 kW; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KLGA (1600 AM; 5 kW; ALGONA, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KGLO (1300 AM; 5 kW; MASON CITY, IA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KFAN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WOI (640 AM; 5 kW; AMES, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIV., OF SCIENCE & TECH.)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KCNZ (1250 AM; 10 kW; CEDAR FALLS, IA; Owner: FIFE COMMUNICATION COMPANY, L.C.)
- KSTP (1500 AM; 50 kW; ST. PAUL, MN; Owner: KSTP-AM, LLC (DELAWARE))
Strongest FM radio stations in Kanawha:
- KIOW (107.3 FM; FOREST CITY, IA; Owner: PILOT KNOB BROADCASTING)
- KTPR (91.1 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY)
- KLSS-FM (106.1 FM; MASON CITY, IA; Owner: THREE EAGLES OF MASON CITY, INC.)
- KIAI (93.9 FM; MASON CITY, IA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KIAQ (96.9 FM; CLARION, IA; Owner: THREE EAGLES OF FT. DODGE, INC.)
- KLGA-FM (92.7 FM; ALGONA, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KJYL (100.7 FM; EAGLE GROVE, IA; Owner: MINN-IOWA CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING,INC)
- KLKK (103.7 FM; CLEAR LAKE, IA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Kanawha:
- KIMT (Channel 3; MASON CITY, IA; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL BROADCASTING OF SO. CAROLINA HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KTIN (Channel 21; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
- KYIN (Channel 24; MASON CITY, IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:
- Call Sign: KA0WCX, Licensee ID: L01206082
Grant Date: 10/25/2006, Expiration Date: 10/25/2016
Registrant: Robert C Elsbury, 202 E 2nd St, Kanawha, IA 50447
- Call Sign: NO0Z, Licensee ID: L01063941
Grant Date: 09/16/2005, Expiration Date: 11/03/2015, Certifier: Charles L Hartwig
Registrant: Charles L Hartwig, 565 120th St, Kanawha, IA 50447
FAA Registered Aircraft:
- Aircraft: PIPER PA-22-150 (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 94 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 7631D , Serial Number: 22-5340, Year manufactured: 1957
Registrant (Individual): Bernard Thuerauf, , Kanawha, IA 50447
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
|Most common first names in Kanawha, IA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Kanawha, IA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
- #62 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Farm product raw material merchant wholesalers"
- #64 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Transportation equipment"
- #69 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest temperature differences during a year"
- #77 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Life, physical, and social science technicians"
- #89 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Social scientists and related workers"
- #95 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing"