Karnes City, Texas
Karnes City: St. Cornelius Catholic Church
Karnes City: Karnes City Hall
Karnes City: Karnes City Courthouse
Karnes City: St. Cornelius Catholic Church
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||33.6 years|
|Texas median age:||34.4 years|
Zip codes: 78118.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $24,571 (it was $12,243 in 2000)
Karnes City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $87,288 (it was $33,100 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $126,820; Detached houses: $145,951; Mobile homes: $37,648
Median gross rent in 2015: $727.
Races in Karnes City, TX (2010)
- 93030.6%White alone
- 1083.6%Black alone
- 120.4%Two or more races
- 30.10%American Indian alone
- 30.10%Other race alone
- 10.03%Asian alone
|Transferring to Karnes City or Dilley, where should I live? (7 replies)|
|Severe Weather San Antonio (135 replies)|
|Dilley, Karnes, now what!? Need help! (31 replies)|
|The summer of 1978 (almost killed this "cool weather candy ass! (6 replies)|
|Bill Miller Price Increase (78 replies)|
|Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II (4571 replies)|
Latest news from Karnes City, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (3.6%), Polish (2.6%), Irish (2.4%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 433 feet
Land area: 2.12 square miles.
Population density: 1,561 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Karnes City:
- High school or higher: 71.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.7%
- Unemployed: 7.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 24.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Karnes City city:
- Never married: 36.2%
- Now married: 39.8%
- Separated: 2.8%
- Widowed: 9.0%
- Divorced: 12.2%
213 residents are foreign born (6.0% Latin America).
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 10 registered sex offenders living in Karnes City, Texas as of February 27, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Karnes City to the number of sex offenders is 316 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $1,446 (1.5%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $456 (0.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: San Antonio, TX (53.7 miles , pop. 1,144,646).
Nearest cities: Kenedy, TX (2.4 miles ), Falls City, TX (3.1 miles ), Runge, TX (3.4 miles ), Gillett, TX (3.9 miles ), Poth, TX (4.1 miles ), Nordheim, TX (4.2 miles ), Pawnee, TX (4.2 miles ), Tulsita, TX (4.2 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 6 buildings, average cost: $40,300
- 1998: 1 building, cost: $84,000
- 1999: 12 buildings, average cost: $23,900
- 2000: 2 buildings, average cost: $8,500
- 2001: 1 building, cost: $100,000
- 2002: 4 buildings, average cost: $24,000
- 2003: 3 buildings, average cost: $45,500
- 2004: 3 buildings, average cost: $30,000
- 2005: 2 buildings, average cost: $52,500
- 2006: 2 buildings, average cost: $52,500
- 2007: 2 buildings, average cost: $52,500
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $83,000
- 2009: 30 buildings, average cost: $177,100
- 2010: 8 buildings, average cost: $175,600
- 2011: 10 buildings, average cost: $65,000
- 2012: 24 buildings, average cost: $181,600
- 2013: 26 buildings, average cost: $192,600
- 2014: 27 buildings, average cost: $212,800
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 28.89 N, Longitude: 97.90 W
Area code: 830
|Crime rates in Karnes City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 286.7)||72.1||86.8||119.8||96.7||152.2||123.3||289.5||259.8||232.7||153.0||224.1||233.8||152.5||138.2||157.9|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Karnes City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.66|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (17%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (16%)
- Public administration (13%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Other services, except public administration (9%)
- Construction (9%)
- Transportation and warehousing (8%)
- Health care and social assistance (25%)
- Educational services (17%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Public administration (13%)
- Other services, except public administration (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Transportation and warehousing (6%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (19%)
- Production occupations (14%)
- Transportation occupations (11%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (11%)
- Management occupations (8%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (7%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (6%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (26%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (18%)
- Personal care and service occupations (10%)
- Healthcare support occupations (10%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (9%)
- Sales and related occupations (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (3%)
Average climate in Karnes City, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Karnes City-area historical tornado activity is below Texas state average. It is 9% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/25/1966, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 5.1 miles away from the Karnes City city center injured 3 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 5/29/1967, a category F3 tornado 37.8 miles away from the city center caused between $500 and $5000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Karnes City-area historical earthquake activity is below Texas state average. It is 84% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/9/1993 at 12:29:19, a magnitude 4.3 (4.1 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 14.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 342.5 miles away from Karnes City center
On 4/7/2008 at 09:51:12, a magnitude 3.9 (3.9 MB, 3.9 MW, 3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 8.4 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML) earthquake occurred 333.0 miles away from the city center
On 7/20/1991 at 23:38:19, a magnitude 3.6 (3.4 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 8.6 miles away from Karnes City center
On 3/24/1997 at 22:31:34, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 81.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Karnes County (9) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 5, Fires: 2, Floods: 2, Storms: 2, Tornado: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Karnes City:
airports located in Karnes City:
- Burris Ranch Airport (2TE6) (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Karnes City:
- Coastal Bend College (about 33 miles; Beeville, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,880)
- Palo Alto College (about 50 miles; San Antonio, TX; FT enrollment: 5,055)
- St Philip's College (about 50 miles; San Antonio, TX; FT enrollment: 5,970)
- San Antonio College (about 53 miles; San Antonio, TX; FT enrollment: 15,182)
- University of the Incarnate Word (about 53 miles; San Antonio, TX; FT enrollment: 6,875)
- Trinity University (about 54 miles; San Antonio, TX; FT enrollment: 2,467)
- Our Lady of the Lake University (about 54 miles; San Antonio, TX; FT enrollment: 2,133)
Public high schools in Karnes City:
Public elementary/middle schools in Karnes City:
Notable locations in Karnes City: Karnes County Courthouse (A), Karnes City Volunteer Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Karnes City include: First Presbyterian Church (A), Saint Pauls Lutheran Church (B), Saint Cornelius Catholic Church (C), First Baptist Church (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Karnes City: Highland Park (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Hotel: Chaparral Motel (116 N Highway 80).
Courts: 81st Judicial District Elite (115 North Market Street), Karnes City City - Municipal Court (314 East Calvert Avenue).
(26.4% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 14.5% for Black residents, 35.3% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 38.8% for other race residents, 7.7% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.7 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
109 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities in 2010
People in group quarters in Karnes City in 2000:
- 520 people in other types of correctional institutions
- 99 people in nursing homes
- 12 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
Banks with branches in Karnes City (2011 data):
- The Karnes County National Bank of Karnes City: The Karnes County National Bank Of K at 311 East Calvert Street, branch established on 1900/01/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $155.2 mil, Deposits: $142.2 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 1 total offices
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Karnes City city (based on Karnes County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Karnes County:||2.66 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Karnes County:||0.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Karnes County:||6.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Karnes City, TX Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||6||$800|
|Judicial and Legal||2||$2,049||$12,294||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||7||$13,540||$23,211||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||1||$2,404||$28,848||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||1||$1,907||$22,884||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||24||$47,040||$23,520||7||$1,050|
7.30% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,927 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Bexar County, TX||1.07% ($36,773 average AGI)|
|from Bee County, TX||0.68% ($27,750)|
|from Wilson County, TX||0.41% ($28,235)|
6.57% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($29,089 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Karnes City:
- KTKR (760 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KAML (990 AM; 0 kW; KENEDY-KARNES CITY, TX; Owner: SIGA BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WOAI (1200 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KKYX (680 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KCTA (1030 AM; 50 kW; CORPUS CHRISTI, TX; Owner: BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF THE SOUTHWEST)
- KSAH (720 AM; 10 kW; UNIVERSAL CITY, TX; Owner: KSAH LICENSING, INC.)
- KENS (1160 AM; 25 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: KENS-TV, INC.)
- KSLR (630 AM; 5 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF TEXAS, INC.)
- KDRY (1100 AM; 11 kW; ALAMO HEIGHTS, TX; Owner: KDRY RADIO, INC.)
- KTSA (550 AM; 5 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF SAN ANTONIO)
- KONO (860 AM; 5 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KFNI (1380 AM; 4 kW; PLEASANTON, TX; Owner: WAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KXTN (1310 AM; 5 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX)
Strongest FM radio stations in Karnes City:
- KTNR (92.1 FM; KENEDY, TX; Owner: GOOD NEWS BROADCASTING OF TEXAS)
- KEMA (94.5 FM; THREE RIVERS, TX; Owner: ROY E. HENDERSON)
- KXTN-FM (107.5 FM; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: TICHENOR LICENSE CORPORATION ("TLC"))
- KROM (92.9 FM; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: TICHENOR LICENSE CORPORATION ("TLC"))
- KSMG (105.3 FM; SEGUIN, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KISS-FM (99.5 FM; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KBBT (98.5 FM; SCHERTZ, TX; Owner: HBC LICENSE CORPORATION)
- KCJZ (106.7 FM; TERRELL HILLS, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Karnes City:
- K45DX (Channel 45; FLORESVILLE, TX; Owner: TELEFUTURA PARTNERSHIP OF FLORESVILLE)
- KENS-TV (Channel 5; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: KENS-TV, INC.)
- WOAI-TV (Channel 4; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KVDA (Channel 60; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: TELEMUNDO OF TEXAS PARTNERSHIP, LP)
- KABB (Channel 29; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: KABB LICENSEE, LLC)
- KSAT-TV (Channel 12; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: POST-NEWSWEEK STATIONS, SAN ANTONIO, LP)
- KWEX-TV (Channel 41; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: KWEX LICENSE PARTNERSHIP, L.P.)
- KSAA-LP (Channel 28; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: MAKO COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- KHCE (Channel 23; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: SAN ANTONIO COMMUNITY EDUCATIONAL TV, INC.)
- KXTM-LP (Channel 21; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: HUMBERTO LOPEZ)
- KLRN (Channel 9; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: ALAMO PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COUNCIL)
- KFTO-CA (Channel 67; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: TELEFUTURA PARTNERSHIP OF SAN ANTONIO)
- KQVE-LP (Channel 46; La VERNIA, TX; Owner: WORD OF GOD FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:5
- Call Sign: KA5OYF, Licensee ID: L00244454, Grant Date: 04/09/2016, Expiration Date: 04/23/2026, Certifier: Simon S Kotara Jr, Registrant: Simon S Kotara Jr, 4365 Fm 1353, Karnes City, TX 78118
- Call Sign: N8NNJ, Previous Call Sign: KB8KZO, Licensee ID: L00418702, Grant Date: 01/26/2012, Expiration Date: 01/26/2022, Certifier: Jeffrey A Edwards, Registrant: Jeffrey A Edwards, 2463 Cr 167, Karnes City, TX 78118
- Call Sign: WA5S, Licensee ID: L00977925, Grant Date: 05/27/2015, Expiration Date: 07/20/2025, Registrant: Charles R Salge, 889 Fm 99, Karnes City, TX 78118
- Call Sign: KD5VMY, Licensee ID: L00649350, Grant Date: 01/08/2013, Expiration Date: 03/05/2023, Certifier: Eric C Opiela, Registrant: Eric C Opiela, 3567 County Road 167, Karnes City, TX 78118
- Call Sign: KE5KOH, Licensee ID: L01194344, Grant Date: 09/20/2006, Expiration Date: 09/20/2016, Certifier: J Garrett Willett, Registrant: J Garrett Willett, 506 N Johnson St, Karnes City, TX 78118-2551
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 27
- Hazardous Condition: 4
- Service Call: 2
Incident types - Karnes City
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Karnes City, Texas:
- Super 8 Karnes City, 210 S SH 123, Karnes City, Texas 78118 , Phone: (830) 780-2140, Fax: (830) 780-2144
- Karnes County Lodge, 167 County Rd 300, Karnes city, Texas 78118 , Phone: (830) 203-7787
- La Quinta Inns and Suites, 1025 S State Hwy 123, Karnes city, Texas 78118 , Phone: (800) 642-4271, Fax: (830) 780-3272
|Most common first names in Karnes City, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Karnes City, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (58%)
- Utility gas (38%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (4%)
|Businesses in Karnes City, TX|
Karnes City compared to Texas state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Karnes City on our top lists:
- #6 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in other types of correctional institutions (population 1,000+)"
- #15 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in dormitories (population 1,000+)"
- #15 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in group homes (population 1,000+)"
- #15 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in hospitals/wards, hospices, and schools for the handicapped (population 1,000+)"
- #15 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in long-term care (population 1,000+)"
- #15 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in military quarters (population 1,000+)"
- #15 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in noninstitutionalized settings (population 1,000+)"
- #15 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in on base quarters (population 1,000+)"
- #15 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in schools, hospitals, or wards for the physically handicapped (population 1,000+)"
Total of 8 patent applications in 2008-2017.