We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||42.5 years|
|Colorado median age:||34.3 years|
Zip code: 80823
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $17,912 (it was $17,541 in 2000)
Karval CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $140,995 (it was $81,900 in 2000)
Races in Karval, CO (2000)
- 64295.5%White alone
- 60.9%Two or more races
- 20.3%Black alone
- 10.1%American Indian alone
- 10.1%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The fastest-growing sector in the West is dominated by one company Aug 17
- What matters more when it comes to moving between states: weather or taxes? Aug 15
- How your income level affects your health Aug 13
- A few numbers about alcohol consumption Aug 11
- High-paid finance jobs are moving outside of large cities Aug 9
Current Local Time: MST time zone
Elevation: 5112 feet
Land area: 1206.1 square miles.
Population density: 0.5 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Karval:
- High school or higher: 88.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 18.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.0%
- Unemployed: 1.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Karval CCD:
- Never married: 13.3%
- Now married: 68.0%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 8.0%
- Divorced: 10.8%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Karval CCD:||0.4% ($350)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Pueblo, CO (58.8 miles , pop. 102,121).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Colorado Springs, CO (60.6 miles , pop. 360,890).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (562.3 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Hugo, CO (5.7 miles ), Sugar City, CO (5.7 miles ), Haswell, CO (5.8 miles) , Ordway, CO (5.8 miles ), Crowley, CO (6.0 miles) , Simla, CO (6.1 miles ), Southeastern El Paso, CO (6.1 miles ), Ramah, CO (6.2 miles) .
Latitude: 38.70 N, Longitude: 103.69 W
Area code: 719
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (56%)
- Construction (14%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Repair and maintenance (4%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Truck transportation (3%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (2%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (30%)
- Health care (11%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (4%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (3%)
- Farmers and farm managers (41%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (12%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (6%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (4%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (3%)
- Farmers and farm managers (20%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (8%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (7%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (6%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (6%)
Average climate in Karval, Colorado
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Karval-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Colorado state average. It is 21% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/6/1990, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 31.4 miles away from the Karval place center caused between $500 and $5000 in damages.
On 6/6/1990, a category F3 tornado 32.5 miles away from the place center injured 14 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Karval-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Colorado state average. It is 43% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/10/2005 at 22:08:22, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 136.6 miles away from the city center
On 10/18/1984 at 15:30:23, a magnitude 5.5 (5.4 MB, 5.1 MS, 5.5 ML) earthquake occurred 273.9 miles away from Karval center
On 1/3/2007 at 14:34:38, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.4 MW, 4.4 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 130.8 miles away from the city center
On 9/5/2001 at 10:52:07, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 119.1 miles away from the city center
On 3/22/2004 at 12:09:56, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.4 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 142.7 miles away from Karval center
On 8/1/2004 at 06:50:47, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.3 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 148.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Lincoln County (7) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Drought: 1, Fire: 1, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Mudslide: 1, Tornado: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Karval:
- Colorado State University-Pueblo (about 56 miles; Pueblo, CO; Full-time enrollment: 5,993)
- Pikes Peak Community College (about 60 miles; Colorado Springs, CO; FT enrollment: 10,395)
- Pueblo Community College (about 60 miles; Pueblo, CO; FT enrollment: 5,329)
- University of Colorado Colorado Springs (about 62 miles; Colorado Springs, CO; FT enrollment: 8,700)
- Colorado College (about 63 miles; Colorado Springs, CO; FT enrollment: 2,199)
- Colorado Technical University-Colorado Springs (about 64 miles; Colorado Springs, CO; FT enrollment: 2,049)
- Colorado Technical University-Online (about 64 miles; Colorado Springs, CO; FT enrollment: 22,771)
Public high school in Karval:
- KARVAL JUNIOR-SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 39, Location: 16232 COUNTY ROAD 29, Grades: 6-12)
Public elementary/middle school in Karval:
- KARVAL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 26, Location: 16232 COUNTY ROAD 29, Grades: PK-5)
Notable locations in Karval: Andy Windmill (A), Hall Station (B), Rush Creek Ranch (C), Forder (D), Forder Ranch (E), Bar W W Ranch (F), Karval Fire Department (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Karval: Blue Cliff Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Dudley Cemetery (1), Grandma Forgey Grave (2), Liberty Bell Cemetery (3), Samuel Messersmith Grave (4), Bucklen Cemetery (5), Spring Hill Cemetery (6), Kirkland Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Nelson Lake (A), Hubbard Lake (B), Stacy Lakes (C), Sharp Lake (D), Blakeman Lake (E), Roundtree Lake (F), Schafer Reservoir (G), Evilsizer Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Pond Creek (A), Skull Creek (B), South Rush Creek (C), North Rush Creek (D), Little Horse Creek (E), Steels Fork (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Karval: Kaval Lake State Recreation Area (1). Display/hide its location on the map
|This place:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.8% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Karval CCD (based on Lincoln County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Lincoln County:||3.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|Colorado:||1.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|Lincoln County:||13.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||13.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.99 / 10,000 pop.|
7.62% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($31,927 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
8.75% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($33,021 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
|to Weld County, CO||0.67% ($21,364 average AGI)|
Strongest AM radio stations in Karval:
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KMXA (1090 AM; 50 kW; AURORA, CO; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KCBR (1040 AM; daytime; 15 kW; MONUMENT, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KCMN (1530 AM; 15 kW; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO)
- KWYD (1580 AM; 10 kW; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Owner: PILGRIM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KSIR (1010 AM; 25 kW; BRUSH, CO; Owner: JMS BROADCASTING, LLC)
- KCUV (1510 AM; 25 kW; LITTLETON, CO; Owner: PEOPLE WIRELESS, INC.)
- KLMO (1060 AM; 30 kW; LONGMONT, CO; Owner: PILGRIM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KIMB (1260 AM; 50 kW; KIMBALL, NE; Owner: G & L INVESTMENTS, LLC)
- KGYN (1210 AM; 50 kW; GUYMON, OK; Owner: TELNS BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KVOR (740 AM; 3 kW; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Karval:
- KCCY (96.9 FM; PUEBLO, CO; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KYZX (103.9 FM; PUEBLO WEST, CO; Owner: COLORADO SPRINGS RADIO B/CASTRS, INC)
- KKMG (98.9 FM; PUEBLO, CO; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KAVD (103.1 FM; LIMON, CO; Owner: THE MEADOWLARK GROUP, INC.)
- KKFM (98.1 FM; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KKCS-FM (101.9 FM; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Owner: WALTON STATIONS - COLORADO, INC.)
- KBIQ (102.7 FM; MANITOU SPRINGS, CO; Owner: BISON MEDIA, INC.)
- KRCC (91.5 FM; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Owner: THE COLORADO COLLEGE)
- KSKX (105.5 FM; SECURITY, CO; Owner: OPTIMA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KKLI (106.3 FM; WIDEFIELD, CO; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KGFT (100.7 FM; PUEBLO, CO; Owner: BISON MEDIA, INC)
- KTLF (90.5 FM; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Owner: EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS OF COLORADO SPRINGS, INC.)
- KMOM (96.1 FM; FOUNTAIN, CO; Owner: AMFM TEXAS LICENSES LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KSPZ (92.9 FM; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KVUU (99.9 FM; PUEBLO, CO; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KCME (88.7 FM; MANITOU SPRINGS, CO; Owner: CHEYENNE MOUNTAIN PUBLIC BROADCAST HOUSE, INC)
- KILO (94.3 FM; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Owner: COLORADO SPRINGS RADIO BCSTERS, INC.)
- KRDO-FM (95.1 FM; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Owner: THE PIKES PEAK BROADCASTING CO.)
- KEPC (89.7 FM; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Owner: PIKES PEAK COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1
- Barrel Springs Site, Approx 12.4 Mi (20 Km) Se Of (Lat: 38.639167 Lon: -103.338278), Type: Tower, Structure height: 54.9 m, Overall height: 57.3 m, Call Sign: KNKR307
Assigned Frequencies: 869.040 MHz, 824.040 MHz, 890.010 MHz, 845.010 MHzGrant Date: 11/06/2007, Expiration Date: 10/27/2017, Certifier: Francis J DiricoRegistrant: Lukas, Nace, Gutierrez & Sachs, Chartered, 1650 Tysons Boulevard, Suite 1500, Mclean, VA 22102, Phone: (703) 584-8678, Fax: (703) 584-8694, Email:
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- 10 Mi S (Lat: 38.588889 Lon: -103.538000), Call Sign: KEA289, Licensee ID: L00407341
Assigned Frequencies: 152.870 MHzGrant Date: 10/11/2001, Expiration Date: 12/22/2011, Cancellation Date: 02/25/2012Registrant: Ronald L Parker, H C 73 Box 64, Karval, CO 80823
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- Karval, CO, Lat: 38.710306 Lon: -103.710000, Call Sign: WQAS968
Assigned Frequencies: 956.443 MHz, 956.443 MHzGrant Date: 07/08/2014, Expiration Date: 08/02/2024, Certifier: Joseph ListengartRegistrant: Sourcegas Distribution LLC, 655 East Millsap Road, Suite 104, Fayetteville, AR 72703, Phone: (877) 404-7207, Fax: (479) 582-7802, Email:
Drinking water stations with addresses in Karval and their reported violations in the past:KARVAL WATER USERS INC (Population served: 129, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- 4 regular monitoring violations
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (82%)
- Electricity (6%)
- Wood (5%)
- Utility gas (2%)
- Other fuel (2%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (2%)
Karval compared to Colorado state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.