Smith County has a predicted average indoor radon screening level greater than 4 pCi/L (pico curies per liter) - Highest Potential
Click to draw/clear city borders
Notable locations in Kensington: Rural Fire Protection District 1 (A), Kensington School Community Library (B), Kensington Senior Community Center (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Kensington include: First Saint John Lutheran Church (A), United Church of Kensington (B), Saint John Lutheran Church (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attraction: Kensington USD 238 - School Superintendent (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 128 South Kansas).
Hotel: Ferguson Lodge (RR 1 Box 152).
Drinking water stations with addresses in Kensington that have no violations reported:
- KENSINGTON, CITY OF (Address: PO BOX 186, Population served: 490, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2009: 11.3%
(11.6% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
Average household size:
Percentage of family households:
|This city: || 2.2 people|
|Kansas: || 2.4 people|
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
|This city: || 62.1%|
|Whole state: || 66.2%|
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
|This city: || 2.6%|
|Whole state: || 4.1%|
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Detailed information about poverty and poor residents in Kensington, KS
31 people in nursing homes
Kensington compared to Kansas state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
Back to the top
Banks with branches in Kensington (2011 data):
- Farmers National Bank: Kensington Branch at 133 South Main, branch established on 1888/01/01. Info updated 2012/01/19: Bank assets: $107.7 mil, Deposits: $93.3 mil, headquarters in Phillipsburg, KS, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 5 total offices
Educational Attainment (%)
School Enrollment by Level of School (%)
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (90%)
- Electricity (10%)
- Other fuel (1%)
2004 Presidential Election results in Smith County Kansas:
Religion statistics for Kensington (based on Smith County data)
Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 78.00%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||United Methodist Church||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Catholic Church||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ|
Source: Jones, Dale E., et al. 2002. Congregations and Membership in the United States 2000. Nashville, TN: Glenmary Research Center.
|Name||Church of the Nazarene||Lutheran Church||United Church of Christ||Evangelical Free Church of America||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
Number of grocery stores:
|Smith County:||7.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kansas:||1.96 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (no gas):
|Smith County:||2.53 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kansas:||0.51 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (with gas):
|Smith County:||5.07 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|Number of full-service restaurants:
|Here:||15.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.33 / 10,000 pop.|Adult diabetes rate:
|Kansas:||8.1%|Adult obesity rate:
|Kansas:||27.9%|Low-income preschool obesity rate:
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
||Monthly full-time payroll
||Average yearly full-time wage
||Monthly part-time payroll
|Other Government Administration
|Other and Unallocable
|Totals for Government
Kensington government finances in 2002:
- Charges - Sewerage: $29,000 ($61.18)
Solid Waste Management: $22,000 ($46.41)
Parks & Recreation: $11,000 ($23.21)
- Current Operations - General - Other: $58,000 ($122.36)
Water Utilities: $36,000 ($75.95)
Parks & Recreation: $26,000 ($54.85)
Solid Waste Management: $18,000 ($37.97)
Police Protection: $13,000 ($27.43)
Sewerage: $11,000 ($23.21)
Regular Highways: $9,000 ($18.99)
Financial Administration: $8,000 ($16.88)
Libraries: $6,000 ($12.66)
Judicial and Legal Services: $3,000 ($6.33)
- General - Interest on Debt: $0 ($0.00)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $173,000 ($364.98)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Water Utilities: $164,000 ($345.99)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Water Utilities: $8,000 ($16.88)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $19,000 ($40.08)
General Revenue, NEC: $9,000 ($18.99)
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $403,000 ($850.21)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $53,000 ($111.81)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $16,000 ($33.76)
General Support: $10,000 ($21.10)
- Tax - Property: $98,000 ($206.75)
Public Utilities: $12,000 ($25.32)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $27,000 ($56.96)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $10,000 ($21.10)
3.52% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($38,603 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
6.36% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($28,667 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Strongest AM radio stations in Kensington:
- KRVN (880 AM; 50 kW; LEXINGTON, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA RURAL RADIO ASSOCIATION)
- KKAN (1490 AM; 1 kW; PHILLIPSBURG, KS; Owner: WALTER C. SEIDEL)
- KFRM (550 AM; 5 kW; SALINA, KS; Owner: TAYLOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KMMJ (750 AM; 11 kW; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Owner: JRK BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KKPR (1460 AM; 5 kW; KEARNEY, NE; Owner: PLATTE RIVER RADIO, INC.)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KRMG (740 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KGYN (1210 AM; 50 kW; GUYMON, OK; Owner: TELNS BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Kensington:
- KQMA (92.5 FM; PHILLIPSBURG, KS; Owner: WALTER C. SEIDEL)
- KFIX (96.9 FM; PLAINVILLE, KS; Owner: HULL BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KKAN-FM (95.3 FM; PHILLIPSBURG, KS; Owner: BARRACUDA BROADCASTING, INC.)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:
8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Kensington
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:
- 10 Mi N (Lat: 39.890278 Lon: -99.072583), Call Sign: KNES804, Licensee ID: L00037946
Assigned Frequencies: 158.460 MHz
Grant Date: 02/21/2003, Expiration Date: 03/01/2013
Registrant: Ferguson Bros Inc, Rr 1, Kensington, KS 66951
- 116 E Ash (Lat: 39.765500 Lon: -99.031278), Call Sign: WQKA468
Assigned Frequencies: 463.337 MHz, 468.337 MHz
Grant Date: 03/05/2009, Expiration Date: 03/05/2019, Certifier: Bruce Nech
Registrant: Comm-Tronix, 1735 Mccormick, Wichita, KS 67213, Phone: (316) 263-5958, Fax: (316) 462-0555, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:
- Kensington, 1052 Highway 36 (Lat: 39.771806 Lon: -99.057250), Type: Tower, Structure height: 59.4 m, Overall height: 60.9 m, Call Sign: WQLL536
Assigned Frequencies: 6197.24 MHz
Grant Date: 03/02/2010, Expiration Date: 06/02/2019, Certifier: Frank Dirico
Registrant: Industrial Tower And Wireless, LLC, 40 Lone Street, Marshfield, MA 02050, Phone: (781) 319-1011, Fax: (781) 837-4000, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:
- Call Sign: KA0ZIR, Licensee ID: L01019839
Grant Date: 10/16/2008, Expiration Date: 01/11/2019, Certifier: David F Wahl
Registrant: David F Wahl, 302 North Adams Ave, Kensington, KS 66951
- Call Sign: KB0OLQ, Licensee ID: L00038174
Grant Date: 06/07/2004, Expiration Date: 08/06/2014, Certifier: Ronald R Rice
Registrant: Ronald R Rice, Kensington, KS 66951
- Call Sign: WD0AAM, Licensee ID: L00874908
Grant Date: 06/17/2004, Expiration Date: 07/16/2014
Registrant: Mark A Migalski, Kensington, KS 66951
- Call Sign: WD0AAP
Grant Date: 03/22/1994, Expiration Date: 03/22/2004, Cancellation Date: 03/23/2006
Registrant: Harlan W Wangerin, 504 S Main St, Kensington, KS 66951
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
Incident types - Kensington
See full 2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System statistics for Kensington, KS
|Most common first names in Kensington, KS among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Kensington, KS among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Kensington on our top lists:
- #30 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Rail transportation"
- #50 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Warehousing and storage"
- #58 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers"
- #72 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Life, physical, and social science technicians"
- #78 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Life and physical scientists"
- #99 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Petroleum and coal products"
- #35 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest percentage of residents relocating from other counties between 2005 and 2006"
- #40 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2003"
- #50 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest number of births per 1000 residents 2000-2003"