|Median resident age:||38.1 years|
|Colorado median age:||38.5 years|
Zip codes: 80117.
Kiowa town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $142,448 (it was $119,400 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $905.
- White alone - 629 (87.0%)
- Hispanic - 57 (7.9%)
- Two or more races - 15 (2.1%)
- Black alone - 10 (1.4%)
- Asian alone - 10 (1.4%)
- American Indian alone - 2 (0.3%)
|Winter 2014-2015 Colorado Weather Thread (200 replies)|
|Colorado Springs isn't all that great (146 replies)|
|Winter in Colorado, 2012-2013 (736 replies)|
|Denver area car chase (54 replies)|
|Are CO people mean or what? (151 replies)|
|Weld county leading the charge for a new state (138 replies)|
Latest news from Kiowa, CO collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (24.8%), Irish (12.3%), English (9.0%), French (6.8%), United States (4.2%), Italian (4.2%).
Current Local Time: MST time zone
Incorporated on 12/30/1912
Elevation: 6363 feet
Land area: 0.49 square miles.
Population density: 1,494 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Kiowa:
- High school or higher: 88.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 24.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.4%
- Unemployed: 4.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 37.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Kiowa town:
- Never married: 17.7%
- Now married: 52.2%
- Separated: 4.1%
- Widowed: 5.0%
- Divorced: 21.0%
56 residents are foreign born (2.5% Europe).
According to our research of Colorado and other state lists there were 4 registered sex offenders living in Kiowa, Colorado as of February 26, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Kiowa to the number of sex offenders is 179 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $1,168 (0.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $833 (4.4%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Centennial, CO (27.4 miles , pop. 100,377).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: South Aurora, CO (29.0 miles , pop. 297,828).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Phoenix, AZ (583.8 miles , pop. 1,321,045).
Nearest cities: Elizabeth, CO (2.7 miles ), Elbert, CO (3.1 miles ), Ponderosa Park, CO (3.2 miles ), Franktown, CO (4.0 miles) , The Pinery, CO (4.1 miles ), Brick Center, CO (4.1 miles) , Comanche Creek, CO (4.4 miles ), Parker, CO (4.5 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2005: 9 buildings, average cost: $94,400
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $129,700
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 39.34 N, Longitude: 104.46 W
|Crime rates in Kiowa by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 292.8)||396.6||356.5||298.4||468.1||210.2||468.0||417.4||433.8||318.2||210.7|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Kiowa detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||4.08|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Retail trade (23%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (13%)
- Construction (10%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (9%)
- Information (8%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (17%)
- Accommodation and food services (13%)
- Finance and insurance (11%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (8%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (8%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (14%)
- Carpenters (8%)
- Construction laborers (7%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (7%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (7%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (5%)
- Cashiers (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (8%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Business operations specialists (5%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (5%)
Average climate in Kiowa, Colorado
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Kiowa-area historical tornado activity is above Colorado state average. It is 29% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/12/1982, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 33.1 miles away from the Kiowa town center caused between $500 and $5000 in damages.
On 6/6/1990, a category F3 tornado 34.2 miles away from the town center caused between $500 and $5000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Kiowa-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Colorado state average. It is 66% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/18/1984 at 15:30:23, a magnitude 5.5 (5.4 MB, 5.1 MS, 5.5 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 218.8 miles away from the city center
On 8/10/2005 at 22:08:22, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 168.5 miles away from Kiowa center
On 10/28/1983 at 14:06:06, a magnitude 7.3 (6.2 MB, 7.3 MS, 7.0 MW, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 582.3 miles away from the city center, causing 2 deaths (2 shaking deaths) and 3 injuries, causing $15,000,000 total damage
On 12/25/1994 at 19:06:07, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 19.0 miles away from the city center
On 1/3/2007 at 14:34:38, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.4 MW, 4.4 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 159.3 miles away from Kiowa center
On 9/5/2001 at 10:52:07, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 152.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Elbert County (8) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 4, Snows: 2, Storms: 2, Fire: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Mudslide: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Tornado: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Airports and heliports located in Kiowa:
- Chaparral Airport (Runways: 2)
- Comanche Creek Airport (Runways: 1)
- Herrick Airport (Runways: 2)
- Elbert County Heliport
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Kiowa:
- Jones International University (about 28 miles; Centennial, CO; Full-time enrollment: 2,556)
- Colorado State University-Global Campus (about 30 miles; Greenwood Village, CO; FT enrollment: 3,642)
- Community College of Aurora (about 32 miles; Aurora, CO; FT enrollment: 4,730)
- United States Air Force Academy (about 33 miles; USAFA, CO; FT enrollment: 5,088)
- Arapahoe Community College (about 35 miles; Littleton, CO; FT enrollment: 6,619)
- University of Colorado Colorado Springs (about 37 miles; Colorado Springs, CO; FT enrollment: 8,700)
- University of Denver (about 37 miles; Denver, CO; FT enrollment: 9,621)
Public high school in Kiowa:
- Kiowa High School (Students: 111; Location: 525 COMANCHE STREET; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Kiowa:
Notable locations in Kiowa: Kiowa Fire Protection District Station 1 (A), Elbert County Sheriff's Office (B), Kiowa Police Department (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Hungate Memorial (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Courts: Elbert County Government - Court House- Social Services- Simla (215 Comanche), Elbert County Government - Court House- Assessor-Mapping Department (215 Comanche), Elbert County Government - County Court- District Court (751 Ute Avenue), Elbert County Government - Court House- Nurse- Simla (215 Comanche).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 76.8. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 43.1. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 21.1 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2000 was 15.1. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 21.3 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2010 was 4.24. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 12.1 miles away from the city center.
(12.4% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 78.6% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for other race residents, 0.0% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
9 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups) in 2000
Kiowa compared to Colorado state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
Banks with branches in Kiowa (2011 data):
- Bank of the West: Kiowa Branch at 440 Comanche Street, branch established on 1907/12/27. Info updated 2009/11/16: Bank assets: $62,408.3 mil, Deposits: $43,995.2 mil, headquarters in San Francisco, CA, positive income, 647 total offices, Holding Company: Bnp Paribas
- Bank Midwest, National Association: Kiowa Branch at 326 Comanche Street, branch established on 1998/02/24. Info updated 2012/03/19: Bank assets: $6,237.6 mil, Deposits: $5,064.6 mil, headquarters in Kansas City, MO, positive income, 138 total offices, Holding Company: Nbh Holdings Corp.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (87%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (7%)
- Electricity (5%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Kiowa town (based on Elbert County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 9.26%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||LDS (Mormon) Church||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Baptist Missionary Association of America||Southern Baptist Convention||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ|
|Name||American Baptist Churches in the USA||United Methodist Church||Lutheran Church||Conservative Baptist Association of America||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Elbert County:||0.44 / 10,000 pop.|
|Colorado:||1.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|Elbert County:||1.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.97 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||3||$10,560||$42,240||6||$756|
|Police Protection - Officers||3||$12,522||$50,088||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||1||$2,820||$33,840||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||8||$29,994||$44,991||6||$756|
Kiowa government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $37,000 ($50.75)
Police Protection: $29,000 ($39.78)
Sewerage: $27,000 ($37.04)
Financial Administration: $16,000 ($21.95)
Regular Highways: $9,000 ($12.35)
Parks & Recreation: $2,000 ($2.74)
- General - Interest on Debt: $0 ($0.00)
- Other Capital Outlay - Police Protection: $11,000 ($15.09)
Regular Highways: $8,000 ($10.97)
Financial Administration: $6,000 ($8.23)
Sewerage: $4,000 ($5.49)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $29,000 ($39.78)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $0 ($0.00)
Kiowa government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $66,000 ($90.53)
- Local Intergovernmental - Highways: $22,000 ($30.18)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $15,000 ($20.58)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $72,000 ($98.77)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $16,000 ($21.95)
All Other: $5,000 ($6.86)
General Support: $2,000 ($2.74)
- Tax - Total General Sales: $71,000 ($97.39)
NEC: $48,000 ($65.84)
Property: $37,000 ($50.75)
Public Utilities: $17,000 ($23.32)
Motor Vehicle License: $8,000 ($10.97)
Other Selective Sales: $3,000 ($4.12)
Kiowa government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $350,000 ($480.11)
9.18% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($56,232 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Douglas County, CO||2.54% ($60,005 average AGI)|
|from Arapahoe County, CO||1.43% ($63,324)|
|from El Paso County, CO||0.59% ($36,674)|
9.59% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($47,664 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Kiowa:
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KMXA (1090 AM; 50 kW; AURORA, CO; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KCUV (1510 AM; 25 kW; LITTLETON, CO; Owner: PEOPLE WIRELESS, INC.)
- KNRC (1150 AM; 10 kW; ENGLEWOOD, CO; Owner: NRC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KCBR (1040 AM; daytime; 15 kW; MONUMENT, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KVOR (740 AM; 3 kW; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KEZW (1430 AM; 10 kW; AURORA, CO; Owner: ENTERCOM DENVER LICENSE, LLC)
- KCMN (1530 AM; 15 kW; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO)
- KLMO (1060 AM; 30 kW; LONGMONT, CO; Owner: PILGRIM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KRKS (990 AM; 10 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KADZ (1550 AM; 10 kW; ARVADA, CO; Owner: ABC, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Kiowa:
- KJMN (92.1 FM; CASTLE ROCK, CO; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KAVD (103.1 FM; LIMON, CO; Owner: THE MEADOWLARK GROUP, INC.)
- KQMT (99.5 FM; DENVER, CO; Owner: ENTERCOM DENVER LICENSE, LLC)
- KKFM (98.1 FM; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KBIQ (102.7 FM; MANITOU SPRINGS, CO; Owner: BISON MEDIA, INC.)
- KKCS-FM (101.9 FM; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Owner: WALTON STATIONS - COLORADO, INC.)
- KRCC (91.5 FM; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Owner: THE COLORADO COLLEGE)
- KSKX (105.5 FM; SECURITY, CO; Owner: OPTIMA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KKLI (106.3 FM; WIDEFIELD, CO; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KGFT (100.7 FM; PUEBLO, CO; Owner: BISON MEDIA, INC)
- KTLF (90.5 FM; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Owner: EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS OF COLORADO SPRINGS, INC.)
- KMOM (96.1 FM; FOUNTAIN, CO; Owner: AMFM TEXAS LICENSES LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KSPZ (92.9 FM; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KVUU (99.9 FM; PUEBLO, CO; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KCME (88.7 FM; MANITOU SPRINGS, CO; Owner: CHEYENNE MOUNTAIN PUBLIC BROADCAST HOUSE, INC)
- KILO (94.3 FM; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Owner: COLORADO SPRINGS RADIO BCSTERS, INC.)
- KRDO-FM (95.1 FM; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Owner: THE PIKES PEAK BROADCASTING CO.)
- KEPC (89.7 FM; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Owner: PIKES PEAK COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
- KBRU-FM (101.7 FM; FORT MORGAN, CO; Owner: ON-AIR FAMILY, LLC)
- KCCY (96.9 FM; PUEBLO, CO; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
TV broadcast stations around Kiowa:
- KWHD (Channel 53; CASTLE ROCK, CO; Owner: LESEA BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KMGH-TV (Channel 7; DENVER, CO; Owner: MCGRAW-HILL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- K48FW (Channel 48; DENVER, CO; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- KDEO-LP (Channel 38; AURORA, CO; Owner: PETER B. VAN DE SANDE)
Total length: 6 meters (20ft)
Total costs: $677,000
Total average daily traffic: 5,000
Total average daily truck traffic: 300
Total future (year 2028) average daily traffic: 8,050
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:5 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Kiowa)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:6 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Kiowa, CO)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:4
- STATION, 5 Mi S Of Kiowa Communications Tower (Lat: 39.281639 Lon: -104.442444), Overall height: 61 m, Call Sign: WNEU265
Assigned Frequencies: 2182.40 MHz
Grant Date: 03/05/1996, Expiration Date: 03/31/1999
Registrant: Phone: (303) 360-3251
- KIOWA, Off Of Rd 134 (Lat: 39.346083 Lon: -104.423278), Structure height: 60.4 m, Call Sign: WPNL479
Assigned Frequencies: 6775.00 MHz, 6805.00 MHz
Grant Date: 05/06/2008, Expiration Date: 06/12/2018, Certifier: Francis J Dirico
Registrant: Lukas, Nace, Gutierrez & Sachs, LLP, 8300 Greensboro Drive, Suite 1200, Mclean, VA 22102, Phone: (703) 584-8678, Fax: (703) 584-8694, Email:
- DEN-KIO, 28787 Cr-49 (Lat: 39.281472 Lon: -104.442444), Type: Tower, Structure height: 59 m, Overall height: 59.5 m, Call Sign: WQPB873
Assigned Frequencies: 22575.0 MHz, 22675.0 MHz, 22575.0 MHz, 22675.0 MHz, 22575.0 MHz, 22675.0 MHz, 22575.0 MHz, 22675.0 MHz, 22575.0 MHz, 22675.0 MHz... (+4 more)
Grant Date: 03/30/2012, Expiration Date: 03/30/2022, Certifier: Jerry Schleiger
Registrant: Lp Broadband, 619 14th Street Sw, Loveland, CO 80537, Phone: (970) 295-4236, Fax: (970) 797-0119, Email:
- KIOWA R, 1 Mile East Of (Lat: 39.346083 Lon: -104.423278), Overall height: 58.8 m, Call Sign: KAM71
Assigned Frequencies: 6315.90 MHz, 11485.0 MHz, 4198.00 MHz
Grant Date: 09/14/1993, Expiration Date: 02/01/2000, Cancellation Date: 11/04/1998
Registrant: At&t Corp, 1200 Peachtree St 15w24, Atlanta, GA 30309
FCC Registered Paging Towers:3
- County Radio Tower Behind Kiowa County Jail (Lat: 39.347750 Lon: -104.477500), Type: Tower, Structure height: 30.5 m, Overall height: 36.6 m, Call Sign: KNKG547, Licensee ID: L01422065
Assigned Frequencies: 931.712 MHz
Grant Date: 05/05/2009, Expiration Date: 04/01/2019, Cancellation Date: 07/26/2010, Certifier: Shawn E Endsley
Registrant: Usa Mobility Wireless, Inc., 3000 Technology Dr. #400, Plano, TX 75074, Phone: (972) 801-0000, Email:
- 8.0 Km South Of Kiowa (Lat: 39.281639 Lon: -104.442444), Overall height: 61 m, Call Sign: KNKM853
Assigned Frequencies: 931.812 MHz
Grant Date: 04/10/1998, Expiration Date: 04/01/1999, Cancellation Date: 03/30/1999
Registrant: Mobilemedia Communications, Inc., Debtor-In-Possession, 2101 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 935, Arlington, VA 22201, Phone: (703) 312-5153, Fax: (703) 312-5155, Email:
- County Radio Tower (Lat: 39.347750 Lon: -104.477722), Type: Tower, Structure height: 30.5 m, Overall height: 36.6 m, Call Sign: KNKO634, Licensee ID: L01422065
Assigned Frequencies: 931.687 MHz
Grant Date: 05/05/2009, Expiration Date: 04/01/2019, Certifier: Shawn E Endsley
Registrant: Usa Mobility Wireless, Inc., 3000 Technology Dr. #400, Plano, TX 75074, Phone: (972) 801-0000, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:24 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Kiowa)
FAA Registered Aircraft:10 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Kiowa)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 10
- Hazardous Condition: 8
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Kiowa
|Most common first names in Kiowa, CO among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Kiowa, CO among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Businesses in Kiowa, CO
- U-Haul: 1
Kiowa on our top lists:
- #54 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest number of assaults in 2006 per 10,000 residents, excludes tourist destinations and others with a lot of outsiders visiting based on city industries data"
- #54 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers"
- #94 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Cashiers"
- #96 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Data processing and other information services"
- #99 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Construction"
- #27 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2003"
Total of 5 patent applications in 2008-2015.