Knox City, Missouri
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||41.1 years|
|Missouri median age:||38.4 years|
Zip codes: 63446.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $18,550 (it was $10,696 in 2000)
Knox City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $32,678 (it was $18,900 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $63,531; Detached houses: $47,351; Mobile homes: $119,705
Median gross rent in 2015: $321.
Races in Knox City, MO (2010)
- 21298.1%White alone
- 41.9%Two or more races
Latest news from Knox City, MO collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (38.7%), American (37.0%), Irish (6.7%), English (5.0%), French (4.2%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1959
Elevation: 765 feet
Land area: 0.21 square miles.
Population density: 1,005 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Knox City:
- High school or higher: 84.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 1.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 13.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 31.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Knox City city:
- Never married: 28.8%
- Now married: 45.1%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 5.7%
- Divorced: 20.4%
According to our research of Missouri and other state lists there were 4 registered sex offenders living in Knox City, Missouri as of September 25, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Knox City to the number of sex offenders is 54 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $620 (1.5%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $576 (1.9%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Columbia, MO (84.5 miles , pop. 84,531).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: St. Louis, MO (141.2 miles , pop. 348,189).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (254.7 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: La Belle, MO (2.3 miles ), Edina, MO (3.0 miles ), Newark, MO (3.3 miles) , Lewistown, MO (3.4 miles ), Baring, MO (3.5 miles) , Rutledge, MO (3.5 miles) , Plevna, MO (3.5 miles) , Novelty, MO (3.7 miles) .
Latitude: 40.14 N, Longitude: 92.01 W
Area code: 660
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (34%)
- Construction (20%)
- Educational services (15%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Retail trade (6%)
- Transportation and warehousing (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (34%)
- Retail trade (21%)
- Finance and insurance (15%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (4%)
- Wholesale trade (4%)
- Transportation and warehousing (4%)
- Production occupations (25%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (20%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (20%)
- Transportation occupations (13%)
- Health technologists and technicians (6%)
- Sales and related occupations (6%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (3%)
- Sales and related occupations (21%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (17%)
- Personal care and service occupations (15%)
- Management occupations (11%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (11%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (9%)
- Health technologists and technicians (9%)
Average climate in Knox City, Missouri
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Knox City-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Missouri state average. It is 26% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/21/1967, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 12.8 miles away from the Knox City city center injured 2 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 4/20/1973, a category F4 tornado 25.0 miles away from the city center killed one person and injured 3 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Knox City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Missouri state average. It is 82% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 249.9 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 238.5 miles away from Knox City center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 245.5 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 271.8 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 274.6 miles away from Knox City center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 250.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Knox County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 16
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 13, Storms: 13, Tornadoes: 10, Winter Storms: 4, Winds: 3, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowstorm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Laverne Parrish - Army Medal of Honor recipient.
Medal of Honor Recipients
Medal of Honor Recipient born in Knox City: Laverne Parrish.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Knox City:
- Truman State University (about 31 miles; Kirksville, MO; Full-time enrollment: 5,553)
- Moberly Area Community College (about 56 miles; Moberly, MO; FT enrollment: 3,977)
- Southeastern Community College (about 64 miles; West Burlington, IA; FT enrollment: 2,251)
- Indian Hills Community College (about 66 miles; Ottumwa, IA; FT enrollment: 4,034)
- Western Illinois University (about 74 miles; Macomb, IL; FT enrollment: 10,755)
- Columbia College (about 84 miles; Columbia, MO; FT enrollment: 13,975)
- University of Missouri-Columbia (about 85 miles; Columbia, MO; FT enrollment: 29,599)
Notable location: Knox City and Rural Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
|This city:||2.0 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.9% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Knox City city (based on Knox County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Knox County:||2.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Missouri:||1.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|Knox County:||4.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.37 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Knox City, MO Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||8||$1,631|
|Totals for Government||0||$0||10||$2,453|
Knox City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Regular Highways: $3,000 ($14.22)
- Current Operations - Central Staff Services: $14,000 ($66.35)
General - Other: $1,000 ($4.74)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $7,000 ($33.18)
Knox City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $4,000 ($18.96)
Interest Earnings: $2,000 ($9.48)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $11,000 ($52.13)
- Tax - Property: $22,000 ($104.27)
Public Utilities: $5,000 ($23.70)
NEC: $1,000 ($4.74)
Knox City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $55,000 ($260.66)
6.93% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($27,019 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Lewis County, MO||1.53% ($26,522 average AGI)|
|from Adair County, MO||1.07% ($18,000)|
|from Scotland County, MO||0.73% ($27,909)|
6.87% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,330 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
|to Adair County, MO||1.47% ($22,500 average AGI)|
Strongest AM radio stations in Knox City:
- WTAD (930 AM; 5 kW; QUINCY, IL; Owner: STARADIO CORPORATION)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- WGEM (1440 AM; 5 kW; QUINCY, IL; Owner: QUINCY BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- KHMO (1070 AM; 5 kW; HANNIBAL, MO)
- WPSN (1590 AM; 3 kW; HONESDALE, PA; Owner: DE WIT BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Knox City:
- KRXL (94.5 FM; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Owner: KIRX, INC.)
- WCOY (99.5 FM; QUINCY, IL; Owner: STARADIO CORPORATION)
- KOKX-FM (95.3 FM; KEOKUK, IA; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- KRRY (100.9 FM; CANTON, MO; Owner: BICK BROADCASTING CO.)
- KGRC (92.9 FM; HANNIBAL, MO; Owner: STARADIO CORPORATION)
- KRNQ (96.3 FM; KEOKUK, IA; Owner: DAVID M. LISTER)
- KTUF (93.7 FM; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Owner: KIRX, INC.)
- KHGN (90.7 FM; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Owner: CARE BROADCASTING, INC)
TV broadcast stations around Knox City:
- KTVO (Channel 3; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Owner: KTVO LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, INC.)
- W53BP (Channel 53; QUINCY, IL; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W49BS (Channel 49; QUINCY, IL; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- KHQA-TV (Channel 7; HANNIBAL, MO; Owner: CHELSEY BROADCASTING COMPANY OF QUINCY, LLC)
- WTJR (Channel 16; QUINCY, IL; Owner: BELIEVER'S BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: N9FBP, Licensee ID: L01507322, Grant Date: 07/22/2009, Expiration Date: 08/05/2019, Registrant: Mr. Robert J Adair, 108 West Thomas, Knox City, MO 63446
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 10
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Knox City
|Most common first names in Knox City, MO among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Knox City, MO among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (46%)
- Electricity (25%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (14%)
- Wood (14%)
Knox City compared to Missouri state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- House age significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.