Lake City, Colorado
Lake City: Church
Lake City: Church
Lake City: Log House
Lake City: Church
Lake City: Store Front
Lake City: First National Bank
Lake City: Lake City, Public Library, August 2008
Lake City: River near Lake City, August 2008
Lake City: Lake City Firestation
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||57.2 years|
|Colorado median age:||36.4 years|
Zip codes: 81235.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $39,841 (it was $23,392 in 2000)
Lake City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $263,410 (it was $225,000 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $885.
Races in Lake City, CO (2010)
- 37692.2%White alone
- 102.5%Two or more races
- 51.2%Other race alone
- 41.0%American Indian alone
- 10.2%Black alone
- 10.2%Asian alone
|Lake City, Colorado (5 replies)|
|Relocating from Salt Lake City to Denver (13 replies)|
|Pueblo West wants to change its name (46 replies)|
|Is Denver's winter "mild" the same way many describe Seattle's rainy season as mild? (192 replies)|
|i live in colorado - but havent experienced colorado ha! (7 replies)|
|Thoughts on where to home base for a month in CO this summer? (49 replies)|
Latest news from Lake City, CO collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (25.3%), English (19.2%), Irish (14.0%), Scottish (7.4%), Italian (3.7%), French (2.4%).
Current Local Time: MST time zone
Elevation: 8658 feet
Land area: 0.84 square miles.
Population density: 451 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Lake City:
- High school or higher: 95.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 43.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 14.8%
- Unemployed: 0.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 16.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Lake City town:
- Never married: 14.4%
- Now married: 63.4%
- Separated: 0.6%
- Widowed: 13.1%
- Divorced: 8.4%
12 residents are foreign born (2.8% Europe, 0.6% Asia, 0.6% Africa).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $1,032 (0.4%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $890 (0.4%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Pueblo, CO (147.3 miles , pop. 102,121).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Colorado Springs, CO (148.1 miles , pop. 360,890).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Phoenix, AZ (410.4 miles , pop. 1,321,045).
Nearest cities: Cathedral, CO (4.0 miles) , Ouray, CO (4.4 miles ), Portland, CO (4.6 miles) , Sapinero, CO (4.8 miles ), City of Creede, CO (4.9 miles ), Silverton, CO (4.9 miles ), Creede, CO (5.0 miles ), Ridgway, CO (5.1 miles ).
Latitude: 38.03 N, Longitude: 107.31 W
Area code: 970
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (25%)
- Health care and social assistance (12%)
- Utilities (9%)
- Finance and insurance (8%)
- Manufacturing (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (5%)
- Public administration (20%)
- Information (16%)
- Accommodation and food services (15%)
- Finance and insurance (12%)
- Health care and social assistance (12%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (9%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (5%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (24%)
- Management occupations (15%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (14%)
- Sales and related occupations (13%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (12%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (6%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (5%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (27%)
- Sales and related occupations (12%)
- Production occupations (11%)
- Management occupations (9%)
- Community and social service occupations (7%)
- Arts, design, entertainment, sports, and media occupations (7%)
- Healthcare support occupations (7%)
Average climate in Lake City, Colorado
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Lake City-area historical earthquake activity is above Colorado state average. It is 205% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/1915 at 06:52:48, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 571.3 miles away from the city center
On 6/28/1992 at 11:57:34, a magnitude 7.6 (6.2 MB, 7.6 MS, 7.3 MW, Depth: 0.7 mi) earthquake occurred 579.5 miles away from Lake City center, causing 3 deaths (1 shaking deaths, 2 other deaths) and 400 injuries, causing $100,000,000 total damage and $40,000,000 insured losses
On 10/28/1983 at 14:06:06, a magnitude 7.3 (6.2 MB, 7.3 MS, 7.0 MW) earthquake occurred 537.6 miles away from the city center, causing 2 deaths (2 shaking deaths) and 3 injuries, causing $15,000,000 total damage
On 9/13/1994 at 06:01:23, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 ML, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 37.1 miles away from the city center
On 10/16/1999 at 09:46:44, a magnitude 7.4 (6.3 MB, 7.4 MS, 7.2 MW, 7.3 ML) earthquake occurred 563.5 miles away from Lake City center
On 8/10/2005 at 22:08:22, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 159.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Hinsdale County (5) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Landslides: 2, Fire: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Mudslide: 1, Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: C. Jasper Bell - Politician.
airports located in Lake City:
- Castle Lakes Airport (CD32) (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Lake City:
- Western State Colorado University (about 42 miles; Gunnison, CO; Full-time enrollment: 2,023)
- Fort Lewis College (about 61 miles; Durango, CO; FT enrollment: 3,631)
- Adams State University (about 88 miles; Alamosa, CO; FT enrollment: 2,805)
- Colorado Mesa University (about 99 miles; Grand Junction, CO; FT enrollment: 7,671)
- San Juan College (about 99 miles; Farmington, NM; FT enrollment: 5,112)
- Colorado Mountain College (about 105 miles; Glenwood Springs, CO; FT enrollment: 3,463)
- Pikes Peak Community College (about 146 miles; Colorado Springs, CO; FT enrollment: 10,395)
Public high school in Lake City:
- LAKE CITY COMMUNITY SCHOOL (Students: 96, Location: 614 NORTH SILVER STREET, Grades: PK-12)
Notable locations in Lake City: Hinsdale County Emergency Medical Service (A), Lake City Volunteer Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creek: Henson Creek (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attractions: Hinsdale County Museum (130 North Silver), Combined Court Clerk (Recreation Areas; 0327 North Henson).
Hotels: Alpine Moose Lodge (1221 North Highway 149), Benvenuto John A (301 Gunnison Avenue), Crystal Lodge (South Highway 149 South), Lake City Resort (307 South Gunnison Avenue).
Court: Colorado State Government - Courts- Hinsdale County Combined Court- County & District Court- (300 Henson).
(6.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents)
|This town:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 1.0% of all households
Banks with branches in Lake City (2011 data):
- Pine River Valley Bank: Lake City Branch at 231 Silver Street, branch established on 2007/04/02. Info updated 2007/06/01: Bank assets: $145.2 mil, Deposits: $129.7 mil, headquarters in Bayfield, CO, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Pine River Bank Corp.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Lake City town (based on Hinsdale County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Hinsdale County:||11.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|Colorado:||1.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|Hinsdale County:||23.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||71.26 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.99 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Lake City, CO Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||9||$9,654||$12,872||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||1||$127|
|Parks and Recreation||1||$2,744||$32,928||1||$354|
|Totals for Government||14||$19,858||$17,021||2||$481|
9.62% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($26,286 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
11.74% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($18,657 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Strongest AM radio stations in Lake City:
- KNZZ (1100 AM; 50 kW; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: M B C GRAND BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KUBC (580 AM; 5 kW; MONTROSE, CO; Owner: WOODLAND COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- KTNN (660 AM; 50 kW; WINDOW ROCK, AZ; Owner: THE NAVAJO NATION)
- KKOB (770 AM; 50 kW; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KIUP (930 AM; 5 kW; DURANGO, CO; Owner: FOUR CORNERS BROADCASTING, LLC)
- KJOL (620 AM; 10 kW; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: UNITED MINISTRIES)
- KMXA (1090 AM; 50 kW; AURORA, CO; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KHAC (880 AM; 43 kW; TSE BONITO, NM; Owner: WESTERN INDIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- KLMO (1060 AM; 30 kW; LONGMONT, CO; Owner: PILGRIM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KAVP (1450 AM; 1 kW; COLONA, CO; Owner: WS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Lake City:
- K209CC (89.7 FM; LAKE CITY, CO; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- KKXK (94.1 FM; MONTROSE, CO; Owner: WOODLAND COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- KWGL (105.7 FM; OURAY, CO; Owner: WS COMMUNICATIONS, L.L.C.)
- KOTO (91.7 FM; TELLURIDE, CO; Owner: SAN MIGUEL EDUCATIONAL FUND, INC.)
- KPRH (88.3 FM; MONTROSE, CO; Owner: PUBLIC BROADCASTING OF COLORADO INC)
- KBNG (103.7 FM; RIDGWAY, CO; Owner: WOODLAND COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- KIQX (101.3 FM; DURANGO, CO; Owner: FOUR CORNERS BROADCASTINGS, LLC)
- KUTE (90.1 FM; IGNACIO, CO; Owner: KUTE, INC.)
- K210BA (89.9 FM; PURGATORY, ETC., CO; Owner: KUTE, INC.)
- KRSJ (100.5 FM; DURANGO, CO; Owner: FOUR CORNERS BROADCASTING, LLC)
- K204BR (88.7 FM; LAKE CITY, CO; Owner: NORTH FORK VALLEY PUBLIC RADIO, INC.)
- KVMT (89.1 FM; MONTROSE, CO; Owner: NORTH FORK VALLEY PUBLIC RADIO, INC)
- K232DA (94.3 FM; HESPERUS, CO; Owner: NATIVE AMERICAN CHRISTIAN VOICE, INC.)
- K237CR (95.3 FM; HESPERUS, CO; Owner: NATIVE AMERICAN CHRISTIAN VOICE, INC.)
- KRYD (104.9 FM; NORWOOD, CO; Owner: ROCKY III INVESTMENTS, INC.)
- K228CG (93.5 FM; LAKE CITY, ETC., CO; Owner: PASSWORD, INC)
- K292AK (106.3 FM; LAKE CITY, CO; Owner: HINSDALE CTY. CHAMBER OF COMMERCE)
TV broadcast stations around Lake City:
- K10EA (Channel 10; LAKE CITY, CO; Owner: HINSDALE COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE)
- K04HG (Channel 4; LAKE CITY, CO; Owner: HINSDALE COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE)
- K12KV (Channel 12; LAKE CITY, CO; Owner: HINSDALE COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE)
- K08GV (Channel 8; LAKE CITY, CO; Owner: HINSDALE COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE)
Lake City fatal accident list:
Feb 10, 2002 09:00 AM, Cinnamon Pass Rd, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 2Number of bridges
- 5m16ftTotal length
- $775,000Total costs
- 2,733Total average daily traffic
- 130Total average daily truck traffic
- 4,251Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic
Drinking water stations with addresses in Lake City and their reported violations in the past:LAKE CITY TOWN OF (Population served: 408, Groundwater under infl of surface water):
Past monitoring violations:VICKERS RANCH (Population served: 100, Groundwater):
- One routine major monitoring violation
- 6 regular monitoring violations
Past monitoring violations:WOODLAKE PARK (Population served: 81, Groundwater):
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
- 3 regular monitoring violations
Past monitoring violations:
- One routine major monitoring violation
|Most common first names in Lake City, CO among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Lake City, CO among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (39%)
- Wood (26%)
- Electricity (22%)
- Utility gas (8%)
- Solar energy (5%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Lake City compared to Colorado state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- Number of rooms per house below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Lake City on our top lists:
- #29 on the list of "Top 100 highest located cities"
- #8 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the smallest number of people without health insurance coverage in 2000"
- #9 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of children under 18 without health insurance coverage in 2000"
- #42 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest total withdrawal of fresh water for public supply"
- #69 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents relocating to other counties in 2011"
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2016.