|Median resident age:||46.0 years|
|Colorado median age:||38.5 years|
Zip codes: 81235.
Lake City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $226,468 (it was $225,000 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $915.
- White alone - 376 (92.2%)
- Hispanic - 11 (2.7%)
- Two or more races - 10 (2.5%)
- Other race alone - 5 (1.2%)
- American Indian alone - 4 (1.0%)
- Black alone - 1 (0.2%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.2%)
Latest news from Lake City, CO collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (25.4%), English (15.9%), Irish (11.0%), Scottish (8.6%), French (3.7%), Italian (3.7%).
Current Local Time: MST time zone
Elevation: 8658 feet
Land area: 0.84 square miles.
|Population density: 467 people per square mile||(low).|
For population 25 years and over in Lake City:
- High school or higher: 95.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 43.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 17.0%
- Unemployed: 0.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 16.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Lake City town:
- Never married: 19.6%
- Now married: 58.0%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 10.6%
- Divorced: 10.7%
9 residents are foreign born (2.3% Europe, 0.6% Asia, 0.3% Africa).
According to our research of Colorado and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Lake City, Colorado as of January 25, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Lake City to the number of sex offenders is 391 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $940 (0.4%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $788 (0.3%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Pueblo, CO (147.3 miles , pop. 102,121).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Colorado Springs, CO (148.1 miles , pop. 360,890).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Phoenix, AZ (410.4 miles , pop. 1,321,045).
Nearest cities: Cathedral, CO (4.0 miles) , Ouray, CO (4.4 miles ), Portland, CO (4.6 miles) , Sapinero, CO (4.8 miles ), City of Creede, CO (4.9 miles ), Silverton, CO (4.9 miles ), Creede, CO (5.0 miles ), Ridgway, CO (5.1 miles ).
Latitude: 38.03 N, Longitude: 107.31 W
Area code: 970
- Construction (34%)
- Finance and insurance (14%)
- Manufacturing (9%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (27%)
- Public administration (17%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (13%)
- Health care and social assistance (11%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (8%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (10%)
- Carpenters (10%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (9%)
- Computer specialists (7%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (6%)
- Construction laborers (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (19%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (9%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (8%)
- Food and beverage serving workers except waiters/waitresses (8%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (7%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (7%)
- Other healthcare support occupations (5%)
Average climate in Lake City, Colorado
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Lake City-area historical earthquake activity is above Colorado state average. It is 205% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/1915 at 06:52:48, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 571.3 miles away from the city center
On 6/28/1992 at 11:57:34, a magnitude 7.6 (6.2 MB, 7.6 MS, 7.3 MW, Depth: 0.7 mi) earthquake occurred 579.5 miles away from Lake City center, causing 3 deaths (1 shaking deaths, 2 other deaths) and 400 injuries, causing $100,000,000 total damage and $40,000,000 insured losses
On 10/28/1983 at 14:06:06, a magnitude 7.3 (6.2 MB, 7.3 MS, 7.0 MW) earthquake occurred 537.6 miles away from the city center, causing 2 deaths (2 shaking deaths) and 3 injuries, causing $15,000,000 total damage
On 9/13/1994 at 06:01:23, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 ML, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 37.1 miles away from the city center
On 10/16/1999 at 09:46:44, a magnitude 7.4 (6.3 MB, 7.4 MS, 7.2 MW, 7.3 ML) earthquake occurred 563.5 miles away from Lake City center
On 8/10/2005 at 22:08:22, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 159.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Hinsdale County (5) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Landslides: 2, Fire: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Mudslide: 1, Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: C. Jasper Bell - Politician.
Airports located in Lake City:
- Castle Lakes Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Lake City:
- Western State Colorado University (about 42 miles; Gunnison, CO; Full-time enrollment: 2,023)
- Fort Lewis College (about 61 miles; Durango, CO; FT enrollment: 3,631)
- Adams State University (about 88 miles; Alamosa, CO; FT enrollment: 2,805)
- Colorado Mesa University (about 99 miles; Grand Junction, CO; FT enrollment: 7,671)
- San Juan College (about 99 miles; Farmington, NM; FT enrollment: 5,112)
- Colorado Mountain College (about 105 miles; Glenwood Springs, CO; FT enrollment: 3,463)
- Pikes Peak Community College (about 146 miles; Colorado Springs, CO; FT enrollment: 10,395)
Public high school in Lake City:
- Lake City Community School (Students: 96; Location: 614 NORTH SILVER STREET; Grades: PK-12)
Notable locations in Lake City: Hinsdale County Emergency Medical Service (A), Lake City Volunteer Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creek: Henson Creek (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attractions: Hinsdale County Museum (130 North Silver), Combined Court Clerk (Recreation Areas; 0327 North Henson).
Hotels: Alpine Moose Lodge (1221 North Highway 149), Benvenuto John A (301 Gunnison Avenue), Crystal Lodge (South Highway 149 South), Lake City Resort (307 South Gunnison Avenue).
Court: Colorado State Government - Courts- Hinsdale County Combined Court- County & District Court- (300 Henson).
Drinking water stations with addresses in Lake City and their reported violations in the past:WOODLAKE PARK (Population served: 81, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:VICKERS DUDE RANCH (Population served: 26, Groundwater):
- One routine major monitoring violation
Past monitoring violations:
- 3 routine major monitoring violations
Drinking water stations with addresses in Lake City that have no violations reported:
- LAKE CITY TOWN OF (Address: PO BOX 544, Population served: 1000, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- SAN JUAN RANCH HOA (Population served: 88, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
(5.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 0.0% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 1.0% of all households
Lake City compared to Colorado state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- Number of rooms per house below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Banks with branches in Lake City (2011 data):
- Pine River Valley Bank: Lake City Branch at 231 Silver Street, branch established on 2007/04/02. Info updated 2007/06/01: Bank assets: $145.2 mil, Deposits: $129.7 mil, headquarters in Bayfield, CO, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Pine River Bank Corp.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (38%)
- Wood (31%)
- Electricity (23%)
- Utility gas (6%)
- Solar energy (1%)
Religion statistics for Lake City town (based on Hinsdale County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 33.04%
Food Environment Statistics:
|Hinsdale County:||11.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|Colorado:||1.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|Hinsdale County:||23.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||71.26 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||2||$7,700||$46,200||7||$750|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||1||$100|
|Parks and Recreation||1||$2,334||$28,008||5||$3,428|
|Totals for Government||5||$17,092||$41,021||13||$4,278|
12.46% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 200563,857 ($ average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
11.83% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 200634,758 ($ average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Strongest AM radio stations in Lake City:
- KNZZ (1100 AM; 50 kW; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: M B C GRAND BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KUBC (580 AM; 5 kW; MONTROSE, CO; Owner: WOODLAND COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- KTNN (660 AM; 50 kW; WINDOW ROCK, AZ; Owner: THE NAVAJO NATION)
- KKOB (770 AM; 50 kW; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KIUP (930 AM; 5 kW; DURANGO, CO; Owner: FOUR CORNERS BROADCASTING, LLC)
- KJOL (620 AM; 10 kW; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: UNITED MINISTRIES)
- KMXA (1090 AM; 50 kW; AURORA, CO; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KHAC (880 AM; 43 kW; TSE BONITO, NM; Owner: WESTERN INDIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- KLMO (1060 AM; 30 kW; LONGMONT, CO; Owner: PILGRIM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KAVP (1450 AM; 1 kW; COLONA, CO; Owner: WS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Lake City:
- K209CC (89.7 FM; LAKE CITY, CO; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- KKXK (94.1 FM; MONTROSE, CO; Owner: WOODLAND COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- KWGL (105.7 FM; OURAY, CO; Owner: WS COMMUNICATIONS, L.L.C.)
- KOTO (91.7 FM; TELLURIDE, CO; Owner: SAN MIGUEL EDUCATIONAL FUND, INC.)
- KPRH (88.3 FM; MONTROSE, CO; Owner: PUBLIC BROADCASTING OF COLORADO INC)
- KBNG (103.7 FM; RIDGWAY, CO; Owner: WOODLAND COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- KIQX (101.3 FM; DURANGO, CO; Owner: FOUR CORNERS BROADCASTINGS, LLC)
- KUTE (90.1 FM; IGNACIO, CO; Owner: KUTE, INC.)
- K210BA (89.9 FM; PURGATORY, ETC., CO; Owner: KUTE, INC.)
- KRSJ (100.5 FM; DURANGO, CO; Owner: FOUR CORNERS BROADCASTING, LLC)
- K204BR (88.7 FM; LAKE CITY, CO; Owner: NORTH FORK VALLEY PUBLIC RADIO, INC.)
- KVMT (89.1 FM; MONTROSE, CO; Owner: NORTH FORK VALLEY PUBLIC RADIO, INC)
- K232DA (94.3 FM; HESPERUS, CO; Owner: NATIVE AMERICAN CHRISTIAN VOICE, INC.)
- K237CR (95.3 FM; HESPERUS, CO; Owner: NATIVE AMERICAN CHRISTIAN VOICE, INC.)
- KRYD (104.9 FM; NORWOOD, CO; Owner: ROCKY III INVESTMENTS, INC.)
- K228CG (93.5 FM; LAKE CITY, ETC., CO; Owner: PASSWORD, INC)
- K292AK (106.3 FM; LAKE CITY, CO; Owner: HINSDALE CTY. CHAMBER OF COMMERCE)
TV broadcast stations around Lake City:
- K10EA (Channel 10; LAKE CITY, CO; Owner: HINSDALE COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE)
- K04HG (Channel 4; LAKE CITY, CO; Owner: HINSDALE COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE)
- K12KV (Channel 12; LAKE CITY, CO; Owner: HINSDALE COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE)
- K08GV (Channel 8; LAKE CITY, CO; Owner: HINSDALE COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE)
Lake City fatal accident list:
Feb 10, 2002 09:00 AM, Cinnamon Pass Rd, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Total length: 5 meters (16ft)
Total costs: $777,000
Total average daily traffic: 2,477
Total average daily truck traffic: 100
Total future (year 2028) average daily traffic: 3,853
|Most common first names in Lake City, CO among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Lake City, CO among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Lake City on our top lists:
- #5 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores"
- #19 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides"
- #21 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Sporting goods, camera, and hobby and toy stores"
- #24 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Transportation, tourism, and lodging attendants"
- #28 on the list of "Top 100 highest located cities"
- #40 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Electronic shopping and mail-order houses"
- #50 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most users submitting photos to our site per 10,000 residents"
- #62 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Sporting goods, camera, and hobby and toy stores"
- #69 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest differences between daily high and daily low temperatures"
- #30 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2003"