Calhoun County has a predicted average indoor radon screening level greater than 4 pCi/L (pico curies per liter) - Highest Potential
Click to draw/clear city borders
Notable locations in Lake City: Farmers Cooperative Company Elevator (A), Lake City Country Club (B), Central School Museum (C), Lake City Library (D), Lake City Community Building (E), Lake City Police Department (F), Lake City City Hall (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Lake City include: Woodlawn Christian Church (A), Pilgrim Lutheran Church (B), Lake City Union Church (C), First American Baptist Church (D), Community Fellowship Christian Church (E), Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses (F), Seventh Day Adventist Church (G), Saint Mary's Catholic Church (H), Saint Joseph's Catholic Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Saint Mary's Cemetery (1), Lake City Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Lake City include: Goins Memorial Park (1), Mike Macke Memorial Park (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attraction: Central School Preservation Inc (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 211 South Center Street).
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2011: 15.9%
(15.0% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 95.0% for Black residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 100.0% for American Indian residents)
Average household size:
Percentage of family households:
|This city: || 2.1 people|
|Iowa: || 2.4 people|
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
|This city: || 59.6%|
|Whole state: || 64.7%|
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
|This city: || 5.9%|
|Whole state: || 6.7%|
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
Detailed information about poverty and poor residents in Lake City, IA
66 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities in 2010
48 people in group homes intended for adults in 2010
85 people in nursing homes in 2000
Lake City compared to Iowa state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Back to the top
Banks with branches in Lake City (2011 data):
- United Bank of Iowa: Lake City Branch at 201 North Center Street, branch established on 1920/03/20. Info updated 2011/01/04: Bank assets: $1,153.6 mil, Deposits: $906.0 mil, headquarters in Ida Grove, IA, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 25 total offices, Holding Company: Ida Grove Bancshares, Inc.
- Iowa Savings Bank: 106 North Illinois St Branch at 106 North Illinois Street, branch established on 1936/10/27. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $166.6 mil, Deposits: $151.3 mil, headquarters in Carroll, IA, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 8 total offices, Holding Company: Community Grain Co.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2011
School Enrollment by Level of School (%)
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (75%)
- Electricity (18%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
- Wood (2%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Lake City (based on Calhoun County data)
Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 84.40%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Lutheran Church||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)|
Source: Jones, Dale E., et al. 2002. Congregations and Membership in the United States 2000. Nashville, TN: Glenmary Research Center.
|Name||United Church of Christ||Presbyterian Church (USA)|| The Evangelical Covenant Church||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
Number of grocery stores:
|Calhoun County:||4.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (no gas):
|This county:||1.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||0.43 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (with gas):
|Calhoun County:||7.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||5.55 / 10,000 pop.|Number of full-service restaurants:
|This county:||8.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.01 / 10,000 pop.|Adult diabetes rate:
|Iowa:||7.8%|Adult obesity rate:
|State:||27.3%|Low-income preschool obesity rate:
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
||Monthly full-time payroll
||Average yearly full-time wage
||Monthly part-time payroll
|Other Government Administration
|Police Protection - Officers
|Streets and Highways
|Totals for Government
Lake City government finances in 2002(per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $131,000 ($77.79)
Solid Waste Management: $105,000 ($62.35)
Parks & Recreation: $14,000 ($8.31)
All Other: $10,000 ($5.94)
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $170,000 ($100.95)
Police Protection: $150,000 ($89.07)
Sewerage: $142,000 ($84.32)
Regular Highways: $105,000 ($62.35)
Solid Waste Management: $97,000 ($57.60)
General - Other: $85,000 ($50.48)
Parks & Recreation: $60,000 ($35.63)
Libraries: $53,000 ($31.47)
Central Staff Services: $23,000 ($13.66)
Health Services - Other: $22,000 ($13.06)
Fire Protection: $9,000 ($5.34)
- General - Interest on Debt: $57,000 ($33.85)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $23,000 ($13.66)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $1,125,000 ($668.05)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $950,000 ($564.13)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $175,000 ($103.92)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $11,000 ($6.53)
General Revenue, NEC: $4,000 ($2.38)
- Other Capital Outlay - Central Staff: $76,000 ($45.13)
Regular Highways: $31,000 ($18.41)
Fire Protection: $17,000 ($10.10)
Police Protection: $17,000 ($10.10)
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $7,000 ($4.16)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $140,000 ($83.14)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $278,000 ($165.08)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $143,000 ($84.92)
General Support: $37,000 ($21.97)
- Tax - Property: $570,000 ($338.48)
NEC: $4,000 ($2.38)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $322,000 ($191.21)
5.89% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($31,630 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
6.29% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($32,925 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Lake City:
- KWMT (540 AM; 5 kW; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KYDZ (1180 AM; 25 kW; BELLEVUE, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KCIM (1380 AM; 1 kW; CARROLL, IA; Owner: CARROLL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WOI (640 AM; 5 kW; AMES, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIV., OF SCIENCE & TECH.)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KFGQ (1260 AM; 5 kW; BOONE, IA; Owner: BOONE BIBLICAL MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KFAN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- KPSZ (940 AM; 10 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF IOWA, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Lake City:
- KIKD (106.7 FM; LAKE CITY, IA; Owner: CARROLL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KWOI (90.7 FM; CARROLL, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY)
- KGRA (98.9 FM; JEFFERSON, IA; Owner: COON VALLEY COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- KTPR (91.1 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY)
- KKRL (93.7 FM; CARROLL, IA; Owner: CARROLL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KTLB (105.9 FM; TWIN LAKES, IA; Owner: THREE EAGLES OF FT. DODGE, INC.)
- KKEZ (94.5 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KKIA (92.9 FM; IDA GROVE, IA; Owner: JIM DANDY BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Lake City:
- KTIN (Channel 21; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
Lake City fatal accident list:
Jul 30, 2006 11:07 AM, N Illinois St, Pennsylvania, Lat: 42.271681, Lon: -94.732708, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Jun 5, 1997 11:42 AM, 175, Vehicles: 3, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 1
Dec 8, 1978 02:15 AM, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 2
Nov 11, 1977 04:30 AM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:
- Call Sign: KC0FJV
Grant Date: 03/29/1999, Expiration Date: 03/29/2009, Cancellation Date: 03/30/2011
Registrant: Will R Hildreth, 618 W Franklin, Lake City, IA 51449-1012
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
|Most common first names in Lake City, IA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Lake City, IA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
- #21 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Health care"
- #22 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Secondary school teachers"
- #83 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Fuel dealers"