Lake City, Iowa
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||50.6 years|
|Iowa median age:||38.0 years|
Zip codes: 51449.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $23,748 (it was $14,969 in 2000)
Lake City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $73,710 (it was $51,500 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $467.
Races in Lake City, IA (2013)
- 1,61295.2%White alone
- 231.4%Asian alone
- 221.3%Black alone
- 100.6%American Indian alone
- 30.2%Two or more races
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Online travel agencies generate most of their revenue in the United States Oct 25
- In Which States are Businesses Most Dependent on International Demand? Oct 22
- The most comfortable places to live in the U.S. Oct 21
- Fast food industry is an enduring American value Oct 19
- A look at the numbers: diabetes in the U.S. Oct 17
|Potential Move to Des Moines (45 replies)|
|The ULTIMATE Quad Cities Vacation (62 replies)|
|Any Southern Transplants in Iowa? (21 replies)|
|Iowa photo thread (274 replies)|
|Speeding Ticket in IOWA 85mph in 70mph Zone (31 replies)|
|Des Moines Photo of the Day (149 replies)|
Latest news from Lake City, IA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (44.7%), English (12.7%), Irish (7.7%), United States (5.3%), Norwegian (3.0%), Swedish (2.9%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 03/14/1887
Elevation: 1235 feet
Land area: 4.82 square miles.
Population density: 348 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Lake City:
- High school or higher: 84.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 17.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.7%
- Unemployed: 5.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 15.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Lake City city:
- Never married: 23.0%
- Now married: 54.9%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 12.6%
- Divorced: 6.9%
8 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Iowa and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Lake City, Iowa as of October 27, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Lake City to the number of sex offenders is 842 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $1,172 (1.5%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $1,001 (1.5%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Ames, IA (59.0 miles , pop. 50,731).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Omaha, NE (95.9 miles , pop. 390,007).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (363.5 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Lanesboro, IA (2.5 miles) , Yetter, IA (2.5 miles) , Auburn, IA (2.7 miles ), Lohrville, IA (3.1 miles ), Lidderdale, IA (3.2 miles) , Rockwell City, IA (3.2 miles ), Lytton, IA (3.5 miles ), Rinard, IA (3.7 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 4 buildings, average cost: $137,500
- 1998: 2 buildings, average cost: $70,000
- 1999: 5 buildings, average cost: $107,000
- 2000: 3 buildings, average cost: $120,700
- 2001: 1 building, cost: $75,000
- 2003: 3 buildings, average cost: $151,700
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $162,500
- 2005: 2 buildings, average cost: $140,000
- 2006: 4 buildings, average cost: $137,500
- 2007: 3 buildings, average cost: $190,000
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $225,000
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $190,000
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $225,000
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $250,000
- 2013: 1 building, cost: $245,000
- 2014: 3 buildings, average cost: $210,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.27 N, Longitude: 94.74 W
Area code: 712
Unemployment by year (%)
- Retail trade (24%)
- Construction (19%)
- Health care and social assistance (12%)
- Manufacturing (10%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Transportation and warehousing (6%)
- Other services, except public administration (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (60%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Other services, except public administration (5%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Manufacturing (4%)
- Sales and related occupations (17%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (14%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (10%)
- Management occupations (10%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (10%)
- Production occupations (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Personal care and service occupations (15%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (12%)
- Sales and related occupations (11%)
- Healthcare support occupations (10%)
- Health technologists and technicians (9%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (7%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (7%)
Average climate in Lake City, Iowa
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Lake City-area historical tornado activity is near Iowa state average. It is 93% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1954, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 1.1 miles away from the Lake City city center killed one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 5/5/1965, a category F4 tornado 13.8 miles away from the city center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Lake City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Iowa state average. It is 78% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 244.0 miles away from the city center
On 11/3/2002 at 20:41:56, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 214.9 miles away from Lake City center
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML) earthquake occurred 271.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 447.0 miles away from the city center
On 7/16/2004 at 12:17:30, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 MW, 3.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 120.7 miles away from Lake City center
On 2/6/1996 at 15:10:28, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 144.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Calhoun County (13) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 7, Storms: 6, Tornadoes: 4, Winter Storms: 3, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Archer MacMackin - Director.
Hospitals and medical centers in Lake City:
Heliports located in Lake City:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Lake City:
- Iowa Central Community College (about 32 miles; Fort Dodge, IA; Full-time enrollment: 4,682)
- Buena Vista University (about 36 miles; Storm Lake, IA; FT enrollment: 2,522)
- Iowa State University (about 59 miles; Ames, IA; FT enrollment: 28,662)
- Des Moines Area Community College (about 70 miles; Ankeny, IA; FT enrollment: 15,337)
- Drake University (about 73 miles; Des Moines, IA; FT enrollment: 3,768)
- Iowa Lakes Community College (about 79 miles; Estherville, IA; FT enrollment: 2,311)
- Western Iowa Tech Community College (about 84 miles; Sioux City, IA; FT enrollment: 3,544)
Notable locations in Lake City: Farmers Cooperative Company Elevator (A), Lake City Country Club (B), Central School Museum (C), Lake City Library (D), Lake City Community Building (E), Lake City Police Department (F), Lake City City Hall (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Lake City include: Woodlawn Christian Church (A), Pilgrim Lutheran Church (B), Lake City Union Church (C), First American Baptist Church (D), Community Fellowship Christian Church (E), Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses (F), Seventh Day Adventist Church (G), Saint Mary's Catholic Church (H), Saint Joseph's Catholic Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Saint Mary's Cemetery (1), Lake City Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Lake City include: Goins Memorial Park (1), Mike Macke Memorial Park (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attraction: Central School Preservation Inc (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 211 South Center Street).
(14.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 75.0% for Black residents, 100.0% for American Indian residents, 100.0% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
48 people in group homes intended for adults in 2010
85 people in nursing homes in 2000
Banks with branches in Lake City (2011 data):
- United Bank of Iowa: Lake City Branch at 201 North Center Street, branch established on 1920/03/20. Info updated 2011/01/04: Bank assets: $1,153.6 mil, Deposits: $906.0 mil, headquarters in Ida Grove, IA, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 25 total offices, Holding Company: Ida Grove Bancshares, Inc.
- Iowa Savings Bank: 106 North Illinois St Branch at 106 North Illinois Street, branch established on 1936/10/27. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $166.6 mil, Deposits: $151.3 mil, headquarters in Carroll, IA, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 8 total offices, Holding Company: Community Grain Co.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Lake City city (based on Calhoun County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Calhoun County:||4.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Calhoun County:||1.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||0.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|Calhoun County:||7.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.01 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Lake City, IA Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||2||$5,714||$34,284||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||4||$12,405||$37,215||1||$970|
|Streets and Highways||1||$2,984||$35,808||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||0||$0||1||$531|
|Totals for Government||9||$27,594||$36,792||7||$5,499|
Lake City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $170,000 ($101.37)
Police Protection: $150,000 ($89.45)
Sewerage: $142,000 ($84.68)
Regular Highways: $105,000 ($62.61)
Solid Waste Management: $97,000 ($57.84)
General - Other: $85,000 ($50.69)
Parks & Recreation: $60,000 ($35.78)
Libraries: $53,000 ($31.60)
Central Staff Services: $23,000 ($13.71)
Health Services - Other: $22,000 ($13.12)
Fire Protection: $9,000 ($5.37)
- General - Interest on Debt: $57,000 ($33.99)
- Other Capital Outlay - Central Staff: $76,000 ($45.32)
Regular Highways: $31,000 ($18.49)
Fire Protection: $17,000 ($10.14)
Police Protection: $17,000 ($10.14)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $322,000 ($192.01)
Lake City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $131,000 ($78.12)
Solid Waste Management: $105,000 ($62.61)
Parks & Recreation: $14,000 ($8.35)
All Other: $10,000 ($5.96)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $23,000 ($13.71)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $11,000 ($6.56)
General Revenue, NEC: $4,000 ($2.39)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $140,000 ($83.48)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $143,000 ($85.27)
General Support: $37,000 ($22.06)
- Tax - Property: $570,000 ($339.89)
NEC: $4,000 ($2.39)
Lake City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $1,125,000 ($670.84)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $950,000 ($566.49)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $175,000 ($104.35)
Lake City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $7,000 ($4.17)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $278,000 ($165.77)
5.46% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($35,521 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Webster County, IA||1.28% ($48,765 average AGI)|
|from Sac County, IA||0.33% ($18,385)|
|from Carroll County, IA||0.30% ($25,500)|
6.02% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($38,315 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Lake City:
- KWMT (540 AM; 5 kW; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KYDZ (1180 AM; 25 kW; BELLEVUE, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KCIM (1380 AM; 1 kW; CARROLL, IA; Owner: CARROLL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WOI (640 AM; 5 kW; AMES, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIV., OF SCIENCE & TECH.)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KFGQ (1260 AM; 5 kW; BOONE, IA; Owner: BOONE BIBLICAL MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KFAN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- KPSZ (940 AM; 10 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF IOWA, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Lake City:
- KIKD (106.7 FM; LAKE CITY, IA; Owner: CARROLL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KWOI (90.7 FM; CARROLL, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY)
- KGRA (98.9 FM; JEFFERSON, IA; Owner: COON VALLEY COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- KTPR (91.1 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY)
- KKRL (93.7 FM; CARROLL, IA; Owner: CARROLL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KTLB (105.9 FM; TWIN LAKES, IA; Owner: THREE EAGLES OF FT. DODGE, INC.)
- KKEZ (94.5 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KKIA (92.9 FM; IDA GROVE, IA; Owner: JIM DANDY BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Lake City:
- KTIN (Channel 21; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
Lake City fatal accident list:
Jun 5, 1997 11:42 AM, 175, Vehicles: 3, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 1
Dec 8, 1978 02:15 AM, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 2
Nov 11, 1977 04:30 AM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 3Number of bridges
- 10m33ftTotal length
- 1,270Total average daily traffic
- 6Total average daily truck traffic
- 1,776Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: KC0FJV, Grant Date: 03/29/1999, Expiration Date: 03/29/2009, Cancellation Date: 03/30/2011, Registrant: Will R Hildreth, 618 W Franklin, Lake City, IA 51449-1012
- Call Sign: KF7RFV, Licensee ID: L01655157, Grant Date: 08/10/2011, Expiration Date: 08/10/2021, Certifier: Karen L Lee, Registrant: Karen L Lee, 320 E Main St 5, Lake City, IA 51449
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Good Intent Call: 1
|Most common first names in Lake City, IA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Lake City, IA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (78%)
- Electricity (18%)
- Wood (2%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Businesses in Lake City, IA
- Chevrolet: 1
Lake City compared to Iowa state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2016.