Kossuth County has a predicted average indoor radon screening level greater than 4 pCi/L (pico curies per liter) - Highest Potential
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2012: 14.0%
(14.0% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 0.0% for American Indian residents)
Average household size:
Percentage of family households:
|This city: || 2.1 people|
|Iowa: || 2.4 people|
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
|This city: || 59.7%|
|Whole state: || 64.7%|
No gay or lesbian households reported
|This city: || 6.7%|
|Whole state: || 6.7%|
Detailed information about poverty and poor residents in Lakota, IA
Lakota compared to Iowa state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- Number of rooms per house above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Back to the top
Banks with branches in Lakota (2011 data):
- Farmers Trust and Savings Bank: Lakota Branch at 201 Third Street, branch established on 1935/07/05. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $183.0 mil, Deposits: $140.4 mil, headquarters in Buffalo Center, IA, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Koss-Winn Bancshares, Inc. Employee Stock Ownership Plan With 401(K) Provisions
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (44%)
- Utility gas (36%)
- Electricity (12%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (5%)
- Wood (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Lakota city (based on Kossuth County data)
Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 82.31%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||Lutheran Church||United Methodist Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Presbyterian Church (USA)|
Source: Jones, Dale E., et al. 2002. Congregations and Membership in the United States 2000. Nashville, TN: Glenmary Research Center.
|Name||Presbyterian Church in America||Reformed Church in America||United Church of Christ||Baptist General Conference||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
Number of grocery stores:
|Kossuth County:||5.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (no gas):
|This county:||0.64 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||0.43 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (with gas):
|Kossuth County:||8.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||5.55 / 10,000 pop.|Number of full-service restaurants:
|This county:||12.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.01 / 10,000 pop.|Adult diabetes rate:
|Iowa:||7.8%|Adult obesity rate:
|State:||27.3%|Low-income preschool obesity rate:
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
||Monthly full-time payroll
||Average yearly full-time wage
||Monthly part-time payroll
|Other Government Administration
|Streets and Highways
|Other and Unallocable
|Totals for Government
4.03% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($34,663 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
6.01% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($28,563 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Lakota:
- KLGA (1600 AM; 5 kW; ALGONA, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KFAN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KWMT (540 AM; 5 kW; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KSTP (1500 AM; 50 kW; ST. PAUL, MN; Owner: KSTP-AM, LLC (DELAWARE))
- KKOJ (1190 AM; 5 kW; JACKSON, MN; Owner: KLEVEN BROADCASTING CO. OF MINN.)
- KBEW (1560 AM; daytime; 1 kW; BLUE EARTH, MN)
- KGLO (1300 AM; 5 kW; MASON CITY, IA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KTIS (900 AM; 25 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: NORTHWESTERN COLLEGE)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Lakota:
- KJLY (104.5 FM; BLUE EARTH, MN; Owner: MINN-IOWA CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING,INC)
- KLGA-FM (92.7 FM; ALGONA, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KTPR (91.1 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY)
- KBEW-FM (98.1 FM; BLUE EARTH, MN; Owner: KBEW, INC.)
- KFMC-FM (106.5 FM; FAIRMONT, MN; Owner: WOODWARD BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Lakota:
- KIMT (Channel 3; MASON CITY, IA; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL BROADCASTING OF SO. CAROLINA HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KTIN (Channel 21; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
- K60FY (Channel 60; FROST, MN; Owner: BLUE EARTH - NICOLLET - FARIBAULT COOP. ELEC. ASSOC.)
- K14KD (Channel 14; FROST, MN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL ELECTRIC ASSOCIATION)
- K27FI (Channel 27; FROST, MN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL ELECTRIC ASSN.)
- K31EF (Channel 31; FROST, MN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL ELECTRIC ASSN.)
- K36FI (Channel 36; FROST, MN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL ELECTRIC ASSOCIATION)
- K58FC (Channel 58; FROST, MN; Owner: BLUE EARTH - NICOLLET - FARIBAULT COOP. ELEC. ASSOC.)
- K62FH (Channel 62; FROST, MN; Owner: BLUE EARTH - NICOLLET - FARIBAULT COOP. ELEC. ASSOC.)
- K65FW (Channel 65; FROST, MN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL ELECTRIC ASSN.)
- KEYC-TV (Channel 12; MANKATO, MN; Owner: UNITED COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:
1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Lakota
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:
8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:
- County Maintenance Garage (Lat: 43.385250 Lon: -94.101361), Call Sign: WBG52
Assigned Frequencies: 159.135 MHz
Grant Date: 12/21/2004, Expiration Date: 02/28/2015, Cancellation Date: 12/12/2012
Registrant: Electronic Specialties, Inc, 2103 Highway 169 North, Algona, IA 50511, Phone: (515) 295-7752, Fax: (515) 295-7238, Email:
- Jct 169 & 9 2 Mi E 3.5 Mi S (Lat: 43.333583 Lon: -94.050222), Call Sign: KNHR258
Assigned Frequencies: 462.450 MHz
Grant Date: 12/05/2003, Expiration Date: 12/09/2013, Cancellation Date: 12/12/2003
Registrant: Ibp, 2210 W Oaklawn Dr, Springdale, AR 72765, Phone: (479) 290-1450, Fax: (479) 290-7940, Email:
- Lat: 43.340333 Lon: -94.069389, Call Sign: WQGF335
Assigned Frequencies: 464.625 MHz
Grant Date: 12/29/2006, Expiration Date: 12/29/2016, Certifier: Mickey Berg
Registrant: Electronic Specialties, Inc., 2103 Highway 169 North, Algona, IA 50511, Phone: (515) 295-7752, Fax: (515) 295-7238, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:
- LAKOTA, 2.8 Mi Ssw (Lat: 43.332778 Lon: -94.116111), Type: Tower, Structure height: 91.4 m, Overall height: 96 m, Call Sign: WMS953
Assigned Frequencies: 6256.54 MHz, 6745.00 MHz, 6765.00 MHz
Grant Date: 01/11/2011, Expiration Date: 02/01/2021, Certifier: Steven T Campbell
Registrant: Holland & Knight LLP, 800 17th Street, N.W., Suite #1100, Washington, DC 20006-3906, Phone: (202) 955-3000, Fax: (202) 955-5564, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:
- Call Sign: KC0VTO, Licensee ID: L01110510
Grant Date: 01/25/2006, Expiration Date: 01/25/2016, Certifier: Gregory M Ervin
Registrant: Gregory M Ervin, 2105 Highway 9, Lakota, IA 50451-7074
FAA Registered Aircraft:
- Aircraft: CESSNA 150G (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 90 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR 0-200 SERIES (100 HP) (4 Cycle)
N-Number: 3954J , Serial Number: 15065254, Year manufactured: 1966, Airworthiness Date: 10/15/1966
Registrant (Co-Owned): Dennis R Schutjer, 4102 220th Ave, Lakota, IA 50451, Other Owners: Richard F Buffington
- Aircraft: PIPER PA-25-235 (Category: Land, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 93 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-540 SERIES (250 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 8766L , Serial Number: 25-5251, Year manufactured: 1970, Airworthiness Date: 06/19/1970
Registrant (Individual): Rex W Larson, 1809 420th St, Lakota, IA 50451
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
|Most common first names in Lakota, IA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Lakota, IA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
- #11 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Personal appearance workers"
- #11 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Wood products"
- #12 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Nonmetallic mineral products"
- #28 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Religious workers"
- #41 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Farm supplies merchant wholesalers"
- #46 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Wood products"
- #51 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest temperature differences during a year"