Lamesa: South Elementary Water Tower
Lamesa: Forrest Park
Lamesa: The Wall
Lamesa: Dawson County Court House
Lamesa: Sky Vue Drive-In
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||35.2 years|
|Texas median age:||34.5 years|
Zip codes: 79331.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $25,804 (it was $16,211 in 2000)
Lamesa city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $69,489 (it was $36,700 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2016: $625.
Races in Lamesa, TX (2016)
- 3,59337.1%White alone
- 1741.8%Black alone
- 830.9%Asian alone
- 220.2%Two or more races
- 120.1%American Indian alone
- 40.04%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
|OMG...TEXIT Nexit??? (159 replies)|
|Where? (21 replies)|
|Dalhart, Fort Stockton or Lamesa, Texas : Which would be the best city to live in ? (10 replies)|
|Some Sorry No Good People In Midland, TX (10 replies)|
|How to find apartments in Lamesa, TX (12 replies)|
|Odessa and Midland Developments (228 replies)|
Latest news from Lamesa, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: American (9.4%), German (4.2%), Irish (2.6%), English (2.4%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 4.78 square miles.
Population density: 1,974 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Lamesa:
- High school or higher: 77.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.7%
- Unemployed: 8.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 17.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Lamesa city:
- Never married: 25.3%
- Now married: 54.2%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 8.2%
- Divorced: 10.3%
659 residents are foreign born (6.1% Latin America).
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 46 registered sex offenders living in Lamesa, Texas as of June 21, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Lamesa to the number of sex offenders is 210 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $1,568 (2.0%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2016: $953 (1.5%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Midland, TX (51.1 miles , pop. 94,996).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Fort Worth, TX (269.0 miles , pop. 534,694).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (300.8 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Los Ybanez, TX (1.6 miles) , Welch, TX (4.1 miles ), O'Donnell, TX (4.2 miles ), Ackerly, TX (4.5 miles ), Tarzan-Lenorah, TX (5.4 miles ), Loop, TX (5.4 miles ), Gail, TX (5.5 miles ), Tahoka, TX (5.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 5 buildings, average cost: $89,700
- 1998: 5 buildings, average cost: $89,700
- 1999: 5 buildings, average cost: $89,700
- 2000: 4 buildings, average cost: $89,700
- 2001: 4 buildings, average cost: $89,700
- 2004: 1 building, cost: $300,000
- 2005: 1 building, cost: $300,000
- 2008: 3 buildings, average cost: $243,100
- 2009: 6 buildings, average cost: $205,800
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $300,000
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $270,000
- 2012: 6 buildings, average cost: $175,900
- 2013: 5 buildings, average cost: $167,000
- 2014: 7 buildings, average cost: $206,600
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 32.73 N, Longitude: 101.96 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: -1,002 (-10.3%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 2,163 (54.2%)
Area code: 806
|Crime rates in Lamesa by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 280.5)||256.7||252.1||270.5||285.5||247.1||250.9||246.8||315.2||215.2||341.4||266.4||351.8||407.3||396.1||399.4|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Lamesa detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.91|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -819 (-7.6%).
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (15%)
- Public administration (13%)
- Transportation and warehousing (10%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (9%)
- Construction (8%)
- Manufacturing (8%)
- Health care and social assistance (19%)
- Educational services (18%)
- Retail trade (12%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Information (5%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (17%)
- Transportation occupations (11%)
- Management occupations (10%)
- Sales and related occupations (10%)
- Production occupations (9%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (9%)
- Material moving occupations (8%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (27%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (13%)
- Sales and related occupations (10%)
- Management occupations (8%)
- Personal care and service occupations (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (4%)
Average climate in Lamesa, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Lamesa-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Texas state average. It is 6% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/11/1970, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 56.5 miles away from the Lamesa city center killed 26 people and injured 500 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 5/24/1957, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 29.1 miles away from the city center injured one person and caused between $500 and $5000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Lamesa-area historical earthquake activity is significantly above Texas state average. It is 31% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 72.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi) earthquake occurred 189.1 miles away from Lamesa center
On 1/2/1992 at 11:45:35, a magnitude 5.0 (4.6 MB, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 72.1 miles away from the city center
On 12/19/2005 at 20:27:40, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.1 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 151.6 miles away from the city center
On 8/10/2005 at 22:08:22, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 330.5 miles away from Lamesa center
On 5/23/2004 at 09:22:05, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 152.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Dawson County (8) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 4, Fires: 3, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Steve Pearce (politician) - Armed forces veteran and politician, Edward R. Tinsley - Businessman, Barry Corbin - (born 1940), actor, Brad Cornett - Baseball player, Steve Freeman - Football player.
Hospitals and medical centers in Lamesa:
airports located in Lamesa:
- Lamesa Municipal Airport (2F5) (Runways: 2, Itinerant Ops: 3,400, Local Ops: 10,200)
- Thorp Airport (9TE3) (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 400, Local Ops: 600)
- Benny White Flying Airport (XA77) (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Lamesa:
- Howard College (about 45 miles; Big Spring, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,587)
- Midland College (about 50 miles; Midland, TX; FT enrollment: 3,650)
- Texas Tech University (about 59 miles; Lubbock, TX; FT enrollment: 29,251)
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (about 60 miles; Lubbock, TX; FT enrollment: 3,269)
- The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (about 63 miles; Odessa, TX; FT enrollment: 2,982)
- South Plains College (about 63 miles; Levelland, TX; FT enrollment: 7,007)
- Odessa College (about 65 miles; Odessa, TX; FT enrollment: 3,107)
Public high schools in Lamesa:
Public elementary/middle schools in Lamesa:
User submitted facts and corrections:
- Grace Lutheran Church is another Lamesa, Tx church not listed. Located at 1002 N. 11th St.
- Under schools, There is also Dawson ISD who is K-12. Has an average of 160 enrollment and is 15 miles north of Lamesa.
Notable locations in Lamesa: Lamesa Fire Department Central Station (A), Lamesa Fire Department Northern Station (B), Dawson County Emergency Medical Services - Hill Corporation (C), Dal Paso Museum (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Lamesa include: Harvest Community Church of Lamesa (A), First Presbyterian Church (B), Northridge Methodist Church (C), First United Methodist Church (D), Saint John Episcopal Church (E), Saint Margaret Mary Catholic Church Convent (F), Sunset Baptist Church (G), Second Baptist Church (H), Saint John Baptist Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Lamesa include: North Park (1), Ninth Street Park (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attraction: DAL Paso Museum (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 125 Main Avenue).
Hotel: Budget Host Inn (901 South Dallas Avenue).
Court: Lamesa City - Municipal Court (601 South 1st Street).
(5.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 50.6% for Black residents, 22.1% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 96.1% for American Indian residents, 100.0% for Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander residents, 30.6% for other race residents, 4.3% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
People in group quarters in Lamesa in 2010:
- 46 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 16 people in hospitals with patients who have no usual home elsewhere
- 8 people in group homes intended for adults
- 4 people in group homes for juveniles (non-correctional)
People in group quarters in Lamesa in 2000:
- 68 people in nursing homes
- 30 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 13 people in wards in general hospitals for patients who have no usual home elsewhere
- 3 people in homes or halfway houses for drug/alcohol abuse
Banks with branches in Lamesa (2011 data):
- First United Bank: Lamesa Branch at 601 North First Street, branch established on 1905/01/01. Info updated 2007/02/12: Bank assets: $1,081.2 mil, Deposits: $962.8 mil, headquarters in Dimmitt, TX, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 18 total offices, Holding Company: Plains Bancorp, Inc.
- The Lamesa National Bank: at 112 Houston Street, branch established on 1927/07/30. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $275.4 mil, Deposits: $245.8 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 1 total offices
- The State National Bank of Big Spring: Lamesa Branch at 801 North 4th Street, branch established on 1992/08/10. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $299.9 mil, Deposits: $273.3 mil, headquarters in Big Spring, TX, positive income, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Snb Financial, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2016
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2016
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Lamesa city (based on Dawson County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Dawson County:||1.45 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dawson County:||0.73 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dawson County:||2.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.09 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Lamesa, TX Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||4||$18,044||$54,132||7||$84|
|Judicial and Legal||1||$3,984||$47,808||1||$385|
|Police Protection - Officers||15||$49,611||$39,689||0||$0|
|Police - Other||5||$13,503||$32,407||1||$1,072|
|Streets and Highways||4||$16,136||$48,408||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||9||$28,593||$38,124||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||5||$11,596||$27,830||1||$1,742|
|Housing and Community Development(Local)||1||$3,576||$42,912||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||3||$9,882||$39,528||1||$770|
|Totals for Government||69||$232,414||$40,420||12||$4,699|
Lamesa government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Solid Waste Management: $319,000 ($33.79)
Water Utilities: $122,000 ($12.92)
Sewerage: $42,000 ($4.45)
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $1,769,000 ($187.39)
Police Protection: $1,109,000 ($117.48)
Solid Waste Management: $1,019,000 ($107.94)
Regular Highways: $931,000 ($98.62)
Sewerage: $609,000 ($64.51)
Fire Protection: $433,000 ($45.87)
Central Staff Services: $377,000 ($39.94)
Housing & Community Development: $347,000 ($36.76)
Parks & Recreation: $278,000 ($29.45)
General - Other: $235,000 ($24.89)
Financial Administration: $214,000 ($22.67)
- General - Interest on Debt: $54,000 ($5.72)
- Other Capital Outlay - Police Protection: $49,000 ($5.19)
Fire Protection: $44,000 ($4.66)
Parks & Recreation: $13,000 ($1.38)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $2,672,000 ($283.05)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $6,000 ($0.64)
Lamesa government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Solid Waste Management: $911,000 ($96.50)
Sewerage: $624,000 ($66.10)
Parks & Recreation: $11,000 ($1.17)
All Other: $3,000 ($0.32)
- Federal Intergovernmental - Housing & Community Development: $391,000 ($41.42)
All Other: $43,000 ($4.56)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $153,000 ($16.21)
General Support: $32,000 ($3.39)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $650,000 ($68.86)
Interest Earnings: $155,000 ($16.42)
Rents: $10,000 ($1.06)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $1,811,000 ($191.84)
- Tax - Property: $1,148,000 ($121.61)
Total General Sales: $883,000 ($93.54)
Public Utilities: $742,000 ($78.60)
Other Selective Sales: $30,000 ($3.18)
NEC: $19,000 ($2.01)
Lamesa government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Industrial Revenue: $553,000 ($58.58)
Water Utilities: $95,000 ($10.06)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $275,000 ($29.13)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Industrial Revenue: $503,000 ($53.28)
Other, NEC: $140,000 ($14.83)
- Long Term Debt Retired Nonguaranteed - Industrial Revenue: $50,000 ($5.30)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $135,000 ($14.30)
Water Utilities: $95,000 ($10.06)
- Short Term Debt Outstanding - Beginning: $151,000 ($16.00)
End of Fiscal Year: $62,000 ($6.57)
Lamesa government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $2,115,000 ($224.05)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $503,000 ($53.28)
5.68% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($28,211 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Lubbock County, TX||0.97% ($29,179 average AGI)|
|from Midland County, TX||0.57% ($23,870)|
|from Howard County, TX||0.42% ($30,824)|
7.00% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($37,667 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Lamesa:
- KPET (690 AM; 0 kW; LAMESA, TX; Owner: KPET, INC.)
- KCRS (550 AM; 5 kW; MIDLAND, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KICA (980 AM; 50 kW; CLOVIS, NM; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KFYO (790 AM; 5 kW; LUBBOCK, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KINF (1020 AM; 50 kW; ROSWELL, NM; Owner: JAMES CRYSTAL HOLDINGS OF NEW MEXICO, INC.)
- KMUL (1380 AM; 50 kW; MULESHOE, TX; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KJTV (950 AM; 5 kW; LUBBOCK, TX; Owner: RAMAR COMMUNICATIONS II, LTD.)
- KKYX (680 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KYKK (1110 AM; daytime; 5 kW; HUMBLE CITY, NM; Owner: NOALMARK BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KWEL (1070 AM; daytime; 3 kW; MIDLAND, TX; Owner: FAUSTINO QUIROZ)
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- KHOB (1390 AM; 5 kW; HOBBS, NM; Owner: AMERICAN ASSET MANAGEMENT, INC.)
- KKOB (770 AM; 50 kW; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Lamesa:
- K217BX (91.3 FM; LAMESA, TX; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- KYMI (98.5 FM; LOS YBANEZ, TX; Owner: ISRAEL G. YBANEZ)
- KTXC (104.7 FM; LAMESA, TX; Owner: MIDESSA BROADCASTING LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
TV broadcast stations around Lamesa:
- KPTR-LP (Channel 47; LAMESA, TX; Owner: PRIME TIME CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KLBK-TV (Channel 13; LUBBOCK, TX; Owner: QUORUM OF TEXAS LICENSE, LLC)
- KJTV-TV (Channel 34; LUBBOCK, TX; Owner: RAMAR COMMUNICATIONS II, LTD.)
- KWGD-LP (Channel 54; WELCH, TX; Owner: PRIME TIME CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 0mTotal length
- 5,500Total average daily traffic
- 770Total average daily truck traffic
- 7,700Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 93 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Lamesa, TX)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 20 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 38 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 7 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 34 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Lamesa)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 41 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Lamesa)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 105
- Hazardous Condition: 35
- Service Call: 4
- Good Intent Call: 16
Incident types - Lamesa
|Most common first names in Lamesa, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Lamesa, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (67%)
- Electricity (33%)
|Businesses in Lamesa, TX|
|Ace Hardware||1||Long John Silver's||1|
Lamesa compared to Texas state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Lamesa on our top lists:
- #24 on the list of "Top 100 cities with lowest ratio of median house value to median household income (pop. 5,000+)"
- #28 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Law enforcement workers including supervisors (population 5,000+)"
- #65 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in industries: Information (population 5,000+)"
Total of 4 patent applications in 2008-2018.