We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||35.8 years|
|Kentucky median age:||35.9 years|
Zip code: 41179
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $13,014 (it was $9,015 in 2000)
Laurel-Petersville CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $58,277 (it was $32,100 in 2000)
Races in Laurel-Petersville, KY (2000)
- 2,05199.4%White alone
- 40.2%American Indian alone
- 40.2%Two or more races
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The fastest-growing sector in the West is dominated by one company Aug 17
- What matters more when it comes to moving between states: weather or taxes? Aug 15
- How your income level affects your health Aug 13
- A few numbers about alcohol consumption Aug 11
- High-paid finance jobs are moving outside of large cities Aug 9
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 165.8 square miles.
Population density: 12 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Laurel-Petersville:
- High school or higher: 52.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 3.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.7%
- Unemployed: 10.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 35.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Laurel-Petersville CCD:
- Never married: 18.5%
- Now married: 67.7%
- Separated: 2.6%
- Widowed: 6.7%
- Divorced: 7.1%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Laurel-Petersville CCD:||0.6% ($199)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Huntington, WV (51.0 miles , pop. 51,475).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Fayette, KY (66.8 miles , pop. 260,512).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (327.8 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Vanceburg, KY (3.4 miles ), Upper Tygarts, KY (3.5 miles ), Carter, KY (3.5 miles ), Pine Grove, KY (3.6 miles ), Olive Hill, KY (3.7 miles ), Tollesboro, KY (3.8 miles ), Garrison, KY (3.9 miles ), Hillsboro, KY (3.9 miles ).
Latitude: 38.43 N, Longitude: 83.37 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 606
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (20%)
- Wood products (13%)
- Construction (10%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (6%)
- Truck transportation (5%)
- Machinery (4%)
- Transportation equipment (4%)
- Health care (20%)
- Transportation equipment (13%)
- Apparel (11%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Food and beverage stores (7%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Personal and laundry services (4%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (14%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (8%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (8%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (13%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Child care workers (5%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (4%)
Average climate in Laurel-Petersville, Kentucky
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Laurel-Petersville-area historical tornado activity is below Kentucky state average. It is 21% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/23/1968, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 36.3 miles away from the Laurel-Petersville place center killed 7 people and injured 93 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/10/2003, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 13.6 miles away from the place center injured 17 people and caused $6 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Laurel-Petersville-area historical earthquake activity is near Kentucky state average. It is 79% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 34.5 miles away from the city center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 33.8 miles away from Laurel-Petersville center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 244.4 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 245.2 miles away from the city center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 264.1 miles away from Laurel-Petersville center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 241.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Lewis County (24) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 21
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 18, Storms: 15, Mudslides: 8, Tornadoes: 8, Winter Storms: 7, Landslides: 5, Snowstorms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Laurel-Petersville:
- Morehead State University (about 17 miles; Morehead, KY; Full-time enrollment: 7,523)
- Maysville Community and Technical College (about 28 miles; Maysville, KY; FT enrollment: 2,969)
- Shawnee State University (about 30 miles; Portsmouth, OH; FT enrollment: 4,160)
- Ashland Community and Technical College (about 40 miles; Ashland, KY; FT enrollment: 2,482)
- Marshall University (about 52 miles; Huntington, WV; FT enrollment: 11,450)
- Southern State Community College (about 58 miles; Hillsboro, OH; FT enrollment: 2,418)
- Big Sandy Community and Technical College (about 61 miles; Prestonsburg, KY; FT enrollment: 2,660)
Notable locations in Laurel-Petersville: Washman Lookout (A), Henderson Shelter (B), Head of Grassy (C), Huckleberry Tower (D), Camp Dix Volunteer Fire Department (E), Kinniconick Volunteer Fire Department (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Laurel-Petersville include: Laurel Point Church (A), Nolan Church (B), Golden Ridge Church (C), Union Church (D), Thackers Chapel (E), Oak Ridge Church (F), Blankenship Church (G), Saylor Branch Church (H), Cedar Grove Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Thorp Cemetery (1), McEldowney Cemetery (2), Rayburn Community Cemetery (3), Million Cemetery (4), Esham Cemetery (5), Holly Cemetery (6), McCoy Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Bark Branch (A), Barrett Branch (B), Big Chestnut Lick (C), Buck Lick Branch (D), Blue Ridge Fork (E), Boles Fork (F), Bradford Branch (G), Brandy Lick (H), Deep Hole Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 51.6. This is significantly better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 27.2. This is about average. Closest monitor was 22.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 10.3. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 14.1 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 7.51. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 24.8 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Laurel-Petersville CCD (based on Lewis County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Lewis County:||5.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||2.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|Lewis County:||7.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||2.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.74 / 10,000 pop.|
4.88% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($25,355 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Mason County, KY||0.98% ($24,250 average AGI)|
|from Fleming County, KY||0.56% ($17,087)|
|from Carter County, KY||0.44% ($35,444)|
4.53% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,995 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Laurel-Petersville:
- WTVN (610 AM; 50 kW; COLUMBUS, OH; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WLW (700 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WGOH (1370 AM; 5 kW; GRAYSON, KY; Owner: CARTER COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WSAI (1530 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKKS (1570 AM; 1 kW; VANCEBURG, KY; Owner: BROWN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WLGC (1520 AM; daytime; 5 kW; GREENUP, KY; Owner: GREENUP COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNXT (1260 AM; 5 kW; PORTSMOUTH, OH; Owner: HOMETOWN B/C OF PORTSMOUTH, INC.)
- WKYH (600 AM; 5 kW; PAINTSVILLE, KY; Owner: HIGHLANDS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WVHU (800 AM; 5 kW; HUNTINGTON, WV; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRVC (930 AM; 5 kW; HUNTINGTON, WV; Owner: FIFTH AVENUE BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WMOR (1330 AM; daytime; 1 kW; MOREHEAD, KY; Owner: MORGAN COUNTY INDUSTRIES, INC.)
- WRFD (880 AM; daytime; 23 kW; COLUMBUS-WORTHINGTON, OH; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF OHIO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Laurel-Petersville:
- WFLE-FM (95.1 FM; FLEMINGSBURG, KY; Owner: FLEMING COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC)
- WMKY (90.3 FM; MOREHEAD, KY; Owner: MOREHEAD STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WPAY-FM (104.1 FM; PORTSMOUTH, OH; Owner: RADIO STATIONS WPAY/WPFB, INC.)
- WOSP (91.5 FM; PORTSMOUTH, OH; Owner: THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WBMK (88.5 FM; MOREHEAD, KY; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WKKS-FM (104.9 FM; VANCEBURG, KY; Owner: BROWN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WOKE (98.3 FM; GARRISON, KY; Owner: BIG RIVER RADIO, INC.)
- WQXX (106.1 FM; MOREHEAD, KY; Owner: MORGAN COUNTY INDUSTRIES, INC.)
- WOHP (88.3 FM; PORTSMOUTH, OH; Owner: THE CEDARVILLE UNIVERSITY)
- WIVY (96.3 FM; MOREHEAD, KY; Owner: GATEWAY RADIO WORKS, INC.)
- WBVX (92.1 FM; CARLISLE, KY; Owner: L.M. COMMUNICATIONS OF KENTUCKY, LLC)
- WNXT-FM (99.3 FM; PORTSMOUTH, OH; Owner: HOMETOWN B/C OF PORTSMOUTH, INC.)
- WAGX (101.3 FM; MANCHESTER, OH; Owner: JEWELL SCHAEFFER BROADCASTING CO.)
- W215AV (90.9 FM; SOUTH PORTSMOUTH, KY; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- WZZZ (107.5 FM; PORTSMOUTH, OH; Owner: HOMETOWN BROADCASTING OF PORTSMOUTH 2, INC.)
- WUGO (102.3 FM; GRAYSON, KY; Owner: CARTER COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WLGC-FM (105.7 FM; GREENUP, KY; Owner: GREENUP COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Laurel-Petersville:
- WKMR (Channel 38; MOREHEAD, KY; Owner: KENTUCKY AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- WPBO (Channel 42; PORTSMOUTH, OH; Owner: THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WUPX-TV (Channel 67; MOREHEAD, KY; Owner: PAXSON LEXINGTON LICENSE, INC.)
- WHCP (Channel 30; PORTSMOUTH, OH; Owner: TELEVISION PROPERTIES, INC.)
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Wood (36%)
- Electricity (33%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (26%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (4%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Laurel-Petersville compared to Kentucky state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.