We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||38.0 years|
|Virginia median age:||37.6 years|
Zip codes: 24266.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $24,658 (it was $16,678 in 2000)
Lebanon town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $96,072 (it was $73,100 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $554.
Races in Lebanon, VA (2010)
- 3,21093.8%White alone
- 982.9%Black alone
- 300.9%Asian alone
- 290.8%Two or more races
- 80.2%American Indian alone
|Do you believe that VA feels like a police state? (106 replies)|
|Can you tell me about Lebanon VA & surrounding towns? (2 replies)|
|My Village, Dulles South, Was Gone... (37 replies)|
|Worst Cities/Areas of VA (132 replies)|
|Backwoods VA, still 'Southern'? Any reccomendations? (8 replies)|
|Virginia vs Pennsylvania (14 replies)|
Latest news from Lebanon, VA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (22.4%), English (16.8%), German (12.3%), Irish (7.8%), Greek (2.9%), Polish (2.9%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1873
Elevation: 2040 feet
Land area: 4.10 square miles.
Population density: 825 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Lebanon:
- High school or higher: 81.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 19.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.7%
- Unemployed: 7.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 21.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Lebanon town:
- Never married: 26.6%
- Now married: 47.6%
- Separated: 3.0%
- Widowed: 11.7%
- Divorced: 11.1%
93 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Virginia and other state lists there were 10 registered sex offenders living in Lebanon, Virginia as of August 28, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Lebanon to the number of sex offenders is 340 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $712 (0.5%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $692 (0.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Johnson City, TN (42.4 miles , pop. 55,469).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Charlotte, NC (136.4 miles , pop. 540,828).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (432.1 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Cleveland, VA (2.3 miles) , Honaker, VA (3.1 miles ), Castlewood, VA (3.4 miles ), St. Paul, VA (3.6 miles ), Dante, VA (3.7 miles ), Abingdon, VA (3.8 miles ), Meadow View, VA (3.8 miles ), Emory-Meadow View, VA (4.0 miles ).
Latitude: 36.90 N, Longitude: 82.08 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +2,598 (+75.7%)
Workers who live and work in this town: 626 (48.7%)
Area code: 276
|Crime rates in Lebanon by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 294.7)||108.5||172.3||274.5||309.3||253.1||282.4||144.4||211.4||165.1||188.3||197.1||229.6||160.7|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Lebanon detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||3.25|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -125 (-3.7%).
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (21%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (14%)
- Public administration (13%)
- Construction (11%)
- Information (7%)
- Manufacturing (7%)
- Educational services (15%)
- Other services, except public administration (13%)
- Retail trade (9%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (8%)
- Information (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (7%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (19%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (13%)
- Computer and mathematical occupations (12%)
- Production occupations (10%)
- Architecture and engineering occupations (9%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (9%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (8%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (23%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (15%)
- Management occupations (12%)
- Production occupations (11%)
- Legal occupations (6%)
- Sales and related occupations (6%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (6%)
Average climate in Lebanon, Virginia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Lebanon-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Virginia state average. It is 80% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/4/1974, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 9.4 miles away from the Lebanon town center killed one person and injured 4 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 1/25/1975, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 18.9 miles away from the town center injured 2 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Lebanon-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Virginia state average. It is 80% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 136.4 miles away from the city center
On 11/23/2006 at 10:42:57, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 18.6 miles away from Lebanon center
On 11/2/2006 at 17:53:02, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 22.4 miles away from the city center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML) earthquake occurred 129.7 miles away from the city center
On 6/29/1996 at 19:30:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 MB, 3.9 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 21.0 miles away from Lebanon center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 130.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Russell County (12) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 9
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 6, Storms: 5, Winter Storms: 4, Blizzard: 1, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Mudslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Tornado: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Lebanon:
Heliports located in Lebanon:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Lebanon:
- King University (about 23 miles; Bristol, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,472)
- Northeast State Community College (about 35 miles; Blountville, TN; FT enrollment: 4,480)
- East Tennessee State University (about 45 miles; Johnson City, TN; FT enrollment: 12,774)
- Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 51 miles; Cumberland, KY; FT enrollment: 2,196)
- Appalachian State University (about 53 miles; Boone, NC; FT enrollment: 17,362)
- Wytheville Community College (about 56 miles; Wytheville, VA; FT enrollment: 2,193)
- Tusculum College (about 64 miles; Greeneville, TN; FT enrollment: 2,070)
Public high school in Lebanon:
- Lebanon High School (Students: 558; Location: 1 PIONEER DR HWY 841; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Lebanon:
- Lebanon Primary School (Students: 438; Location: 991 EAST MAIN STREET; Grades: PK-2)
- Lebanon Middle School (Students: 388; Location: 131 WEST MAIN STREET; Grades: 6-8)
- Lebanon Elementary School (Students: 305; Location: 56 GEORGE BEN WHITED DRIVE; Grades: 3-5)
- Project Bridge/Russell Co School (Location: 1 SCHOOL BOARD DR)
- Russell County Voc. School (Location: 1 VOCATIONAL SCHOOL ROAD)
Notable locations in Lebanon: Russell County Industrial Park (A), Russell County Library (B), Russell County Courthouse (C), Lebanon Town Hall (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Lebanon: Cedar Creek Mission (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Westhill Cemetery (1), Gilmer Cemetery (2), Ketron Memorial Gardens (3), Russell Memorial Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 43.2. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 8.77. This is about average. Closest monitor was 20.8 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Lebanon that have no violations reported:
- CENTENNIAL HEIGHTS (Population served: 220, Primary Water Source Type: Purch surface water)
(25.6% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 3.3% for Black residents, 100.0% for American Indian residents)
|This town:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
People in group quarters in Lebanon in 2010:
- 56 people in correctional residential facilities
- 52 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 18 people in group homes intended for adults
- 12 people in residential treatment centers for adults
- 10 people in group homes for juveniles (non-correctional)
People in group quarters in Lebanon in 2000:
- 139 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 75 people in nursing homes
- 10 people in homes or halfway houses for drug/alcohol abuse
- 6 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
Lebanon compared to Virginia state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Banks with branches in Lebanon (2011 data):
- The First Bank and Trust Company: East Lebanon Branch at 2030 East Main Street, branch established on 1997/08/14; The First Bank And Trust Company at 359 West Main Street, branch established on 1979/08/03. Info updated 2007/04/05: Bank assets: $1,247.0 mil, Deposits: $1,102.9 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 21 total offices, Holding Company: First Bancorp, Inc.
- TruPoint Bank: Lebanon Branch at 116 South East Main St, branch established on 1964/04/27. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $455.3 mil, Deposits: $395.0 mil, headquarters in Grundy, VA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 12 total offices, Holding Company: Miners And Merchants Bancorp, Inc.
- New Peoples Bank, Inc.: Lebanon Office at 1421 East Main Street, branch established on 2000/05/08. Info updated 2007/08/21: Bank assets: $781.6 mil, Deposits: $709.1 mil, headquarters in Honaker, VA, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 28 total offices, Holding Company: New Peoples Bankshares, Inc.
- First Sentinel Bank: Lebanon Branch at 66 Townview Drive, branch established on 2006/05/30. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $167.5 mil, Deposits: $149.9 mil, headquarters in Richlands, VA, positive income, Consumer Lending Specialization, 5 total offices, Holding Company: First Region Bancshares, Inc.
- Carter Bank & Trust: Lebanon Branch at 82 E Main St, branch established on 1998/10/02. Info updated 2007/02/23: Bank assets: $3,970.4 mil, Deposits: $3,610.0 mil, headquarters in Martinsville, VA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 123 total offices
- Branch Banking and Trust Company: Lebanon Main Branch at 1850 E Main St, branch established on 1979/02/15. Info updated 2010/03/29: Bank assets: $168,867.6 mil, Deposits: $127,549.5 mil, headquarters in Winston Salem, NC, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 1793 total offices, Holding Company: Bb&T Corporation
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (89%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (9%)
- Utility gas (2%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Lebanon town (based on Russell County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Russell County:||1.73 / 10,000 pop.|
|Virginia:||2.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|Russell County:||0.69 / 10,000 pop.|
|Virginia:||1.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|Russell County:||9.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||4||$12,121||$36,363||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||10||$34,819||$41,783||0||$0|
|Police - Other||4||$11,552||$34,656||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||12||$34,656||$34,656||2||$2,247|
|Solid Waste Management||2||$4,005||$24,030||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||7||$17,683||$30,314||34||$12,448|
|Other and Unallocable||6||$20,295||$40,590||4||$7,543|
|Totals for Government||60||$177,167||$35,433||48||$35,105|
4.27% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($36,407 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Tazewell County, VA||0.62% ($43,852 average AGI)|
|from Wise County, VA||0.58% ($31,740)|
|from Washington County, VA||0.55% ($30,333)|
4.73% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($33,584 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Lebanon:
- WLRV (1380 AM; 1 kW; LEBANON, VA; Owner: GARY W. WARD BRAODCASTING CORPORATION)
- WZAP (690 AM; 10 kW; BRISTOL, VA; Owner: RAM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WGOC (640 AM; 10 kW; BLOUNTVILLE, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WYRV (770 AM; daytime; 5 kW; CEDAR BLUFF, VA; Owner: FAITH CHRISTIAN MUSIC BROADCASTING MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WXLZ (1140 AM; daytime; 3 kW; ST. PAUL, VA; Owner: YEARY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WFHG (980 AM; 5 kW; BRISTOL, VA; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WXMY (1600 AM; daytime; 5 kW; SALTVILLE, VA; Owner: CONTINENTAL MEDIA GROUP, LLC)
- WPWT (870 AM; daytime; 10 kW; COLONIAL HEIGHTS, TN; Owner: INFORMATION COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WNRG (940 AM; 5 kW; GRUNDY, VA; Owner: VIRGINIA-KENTUCKY BROADCASTING CO., INC)
- WHGG (1090 AM; daytime; 10 kW; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: APPALACHIAN EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIO)
- WDIC (1430 AM; daytime; 5 kW; CLINCHCO, VA; Owner: DICKENSON COUNTY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WFGW (1010 AM; 50 kW; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WBCV (1550 AM; 5 kW; BRISTOL, TN; Owner: SUNSHINE BROADCASTERS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Lebanon:
- WXLZ-FM (107.3 FM; LEBANON, VA; Owner: YEARY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WHCB (91.5 FM; BRISTOL, TN; Owner: APPALACHIAN EDUC. COMMUNICATION CORP)
- WCQR-FM (88.3 FM; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: POSITIVE ALTERNATIVE RADIO, INC.)
- WETS-FM (89.5 FM; JOHNSON CITY, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WXBQ-FM (96.9 FM; BRISTOL, TN; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WPJO (99.3 FM; ELIZABETHTON, TN; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- W214AP (90.7 FM; JOHNSON CITY, TN; Owner: THE MOODY BIBLE INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO)
- WFHG-FM (92.7 FM; ABINGDON, VA; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WTFM (98.5 FM; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WMEV-FM (93.9 FM; MARION, VA; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WPKE-FM (103.1 FM; COAL RUN, KY; Owner: EAST KENTUCKY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WRIC-FM (100.7 FM; RICHLANDS, VA; Owner: PEGGY SUE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WOLD-FM (102.5 FM; MARION, VA; Owner: EMERALD SOUND, INC.)
- W223AA (92.5 FM; BIG STONE GAP, VA; Owner: VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WAXM (93.5 FM; BIG STONE GAP, VA; Owner: VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WIFX-FM (94.3 FM; JENKINS, KY; Owner: LETCHER COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC)
- WDXC (102.3 FM; POUND, VA; Owner: WDXC RADIO, INC.)
- WGTH-FM (105.5 FM; RICHLANDS, VA; Owner: HIGH KNOB BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WXKQ-FM (103.9 FM; WHITESBURG, KY; Owner: T.C.W. BROADCASTING , INC.)
- WMMT (88.7 FM; WHITESBURG, KY; Owner: APPALSHOP, INCORPORATED)
TV broadcast stations around Lebanon:
- WLFG (Channel 68; GRUNDY, VA; Owner: LIVING FAITH MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WCYB-TV (Channel 5; BRISTOL, VA; Owner: APPALACHIAN BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WAPW-CA (Channel 31; ABINGDON, ETC., VA; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W58CY (Channel 58; CASTLEWOOD, VA; Owner: RUSSELL COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS)
- W63AK (Channel 63; DICKENSONVILLE, VA; Owner: RUSSELL COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- W65AR (Channel 65; DICKENSONVILLE, VA; Owner: RUSSELL COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 16Number of bridges
- 87m285ftTotal length
- $735,000Total costs
- 109,307Total average daily traffic
- 4,770Total average daily truck traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Lebanon)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:22 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Lebanon, VA)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:7 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers:3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:38 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Lebanon)
FAA Registered Aircraft:4
- Aircraft: CESSNA 150H (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 90 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR 0-200 SERIES (100 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 22758 , Serial Number: 15068500, Year manufactured: 1968, Airworthiness Date: 03/28/1968
Registrant (Individual): Albert G Kreiner, 811 Creekside Dr, Lebanon, VA 24266
- Aircraft: CESSNA 182S (Category: Land, Seats: 6, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: LYCOMING IO-540 SER (300 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 2439T , Serial Number: 18280810, Year manufactured: 2000, Airworthiness Date: 08/23/2000
Registrant (Individual): David P Kramer, 476 Fincastle Ests, Lebanon, VA 24266
- Aircraft: CESSNA 172N (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 105 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 4910D , Serial Number: 17272394, Year manufactured: 1979, Airworthiness Date: 03/02/1979
Registrant (Co-Owned): Vernon D Johnson, 308 Scenic Dr, Lebanon, VA 24266, Other Owners: Sherry V Johnson
- Aircraft: CESSNA 172M (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 108 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (4 Cycle)
N-Number: 9365H , Serial Number: 17266118, Year manufactured: 1975, Airworthiness Date: 10/22/1975
Registrant (Individual): Ronald L Dba Barrett, Po Box 1352, Lebanon, VA 24266, Other Owners: Rentals Ron's
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 25
- Hazardous Condition: 19
- Good Intent Call: 8
Incident types - Lebanon
|Most common first names in Lebanon, VA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Lebanon, VA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Lebanon, VA|
|Advance Auto Parts||1||Long John Silver's||1|
|Burger King||1||Pizza Hut||1|
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2015.