Lempster, New Hampshire
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||46.1 years|
|New Hampshire median age:||43.9 years|
Zip codes: 03605.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $27,269 (it was $19,172 in 2000)
Lempster town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $172,452 (it was $87,700 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $216,995; Detached houses: $239,179; Townhouses or other attached units: $260,917; In 2-unit structures: $186,313; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $154,418; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $103,704; Mobile homes: $55,192
Races in Lempster, NH (2010)
- 1,12397.3%White alone
- 121.0%Two or more races
- 30.3%American Indian alone
- 20.2%Black alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The fastest-growing industry sectors in the Northeast are Construction-related Apr 25
- The decline of the U.S. Agriculture industry visualized Apr 23
- The revenues and net sales of Samsonite Apr 21
- Crowfunding is a fast-increasing market Apr 19
- The number of jobs in Construction is falling across the U.S. Apr 17
|Cost of new septic system in Lempster (4 replies)|
|N. H. doesn't exist anymore (92 replies)|
|Relocation from GA to Grafton/Coos county (5 replies)|
|What can you tell me about Franklin/Tilton? (18 replies)|
|Windmills for power (15 replies)|
|State of public schools in New Hampshire (30 replies)|
Latest news from Lempster, NH collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (22.1%), French (16.4%), Irish (16.1%), German (8.5%), French Canadian (8.2%), Italian (7.5%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1761
Elevation: 1416 feet
Land area: 32.3 square miles.
Population density: 36 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Lempster:
- High school or higher: 81.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.7%
- Unemployed: 1.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 33.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Lempster town:
- Never married: 19.8%
- Now married: 61.6%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 7.5%
- Divorced: 9.7%
26 residents are foreign born (1.9% Europe, 0.8% North America).
According to our research of New Hampshire and other state lists there were 4 registered sex offenders living in Lempster, New Hampshire as of April 26, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Lempster to the number of sex offenders is 273 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Lempster town:||2.3% ($2,047)|
|New Hampshire:||2.3% ($2,946)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Manchester, NH (40.8 miles , pop. 107,006).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (84.1 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (186.4 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Acworth, NH (2.3 miles ), Goshen, NH (2.3 miles ), Unity, NH (2.4 miles ), Washington, NH (2.5 miles ), Marlow, NH (2.9 miles ), Newport, NH (3.0 miles ), Alstead, NH (3.1 miles ), Newbury, NH (3.2 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 6 buildings, average cost: $42,500
- 1998: 7 buildings, average cost: $42,500
- 1999: 8 buildings, average cost: $42,500
- 2000: 9 buildings, average cost: $42,500
- 2001: 12 buildings, average cost: $45,000
- 2002: 12 buildings, average cost: $79,200
- 2003: 12 buildings, average cost: $65,000
- 2005: 11 buildings, average cost: $65,000
- 2006: 9 buildings, average cost: $65,000
- 2007: 7 buildings, average cost: $65,000
- 2008: 5 buildings, average cost: $65,000
- 2009: 4 buildings, average cost: $65,000
- 2010: 5 buildings, average cost: $165,900
- 2011: 3 buildings, average cost: $165,900
- 2012: 3 buildings, average cost: $208,800
- 2013: 4 buildings, average cost: $138,300
- 2014: 2 buildings, average cost: $100,500
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 43.23 N, Longitude: 72.19 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 603
Unemployment by year (%)
- Metal and metal products (18%)
- Construction (16%)
- Wood products (6%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Repair and maintenance (5%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (5%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Health care (20%)
- Educational services (16%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (5%)
- Metal and metal products (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (4%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (14%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (12%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Carpenters (4%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (9%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (4%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (4%)
- Health technologists and technicians (4%)
Average climate in Lempster, New Hampshire
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Lempster-area historical tornado activity is slightly above New Hampshire state average. It is 43% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/20/1968, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 32.4 miles away from the Lempster town center injured one person and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 6/9/1953, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 52.8 miles away from the town center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Lempster-area historical earthquake activity is near New Hampshire state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 119.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 115.6 miles away from Lempster center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 34.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 114.8 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 133.0 miles away from Lempster center
On 6/16/1995 at 12:13:11, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 74.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Sullivan County (26) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 17
Emergencies Declared: 9
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 12, Floods: 11, Snows: 4, Winter Storms: 4, Hurricanes: 3, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Medal of Honor Recipients
Medal of Honor Recipient born in Lempster: William H. Wilcox.
Hospitals and medical centers near Lempster:
- WOODLAWN CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; NEWPORT, NH)
- TRUSTING HANDS (Home Health Center, about 10 miles away; NEWPORT, NH)
- CONNECTICUT VALLEY HOME CARE (Home Health Center, about 10 miles away; NEWPORT, NH)
- NEWPORT HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 10 miles away; NEWPORT, NH)
- VALLEY REGIONAL HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 14 miles away; CLAREMONT, NH)
- ELM WOOD CENTER AT CLAREMONT (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; CLAREMONT, NH)
- MCGIRR NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; BELLOWS FALLS, VT)
Amtrak stations near Lempster:
- 14 miles: CLAREMONT (PLAINS RD.) . Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking.
- 15 miles: BELLOWS FALLS (DEPOT ST.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
- 20 miles: WINDSOR-MOUNT ASCUTNEY (WINDSOR, DEPOT AVE.) . Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, intercity bus service.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Lempster:
- Keene State College (about 22 miles; Keene, NH; Full-time enrollment: 5,098)
- Franklin Pierce University (about 32 miles; Rindge, NH; FT enrollment: 2,139)
- NHTI-Concord's Community College (about 33 miles; Concord, NH; FT enrollment: 2,865)
- Dartmouth College (about 33 miles; Hanover, NH; FT enrollment: 6,030)
- Saint Anselm College (about 39 miles; Manchester, NH; FT enrollment: 2,059)
- Southern New Hampshire University (about 40 miles; Manchester, NH; FT enrollment: 16,552)
- Mount Washington College (about 41 miles; Manchester, NH; FT enrollment: 2,187)
Public elementary/middle school in Lempster:
- GOSHEN-LEMPSTER COOPERATIVE SCHOOL (Students: 168, Location: 29 SCHOOL RD., Grades: KG-8)
Notable locations in Lempster: Lempster Fire Department (A), Lempster Rescue (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Lempster: Miner Memorial Chapel (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Beaver Pond (A), Dodge Pond (B), Hurd Pond (C), Cold Brook Pond (D), Richardson Brook Pond (E), Long Pond (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Babb Brook (A), Richardson Brook (B), Purmort Brook (C), Ways Brook (D), Hamlin Brook (E), Cold Brook (F), Beaver Brook (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 82.5. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2003 was 3.66. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 11.9 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 24.8. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 11.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 12.6. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 8.4 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 8.41. This is about average. Closest monitor was 8.4 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.4 people|
|New Hampshire:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New Hampshire average:||10.9|
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Lempster town (based on Sullivan County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Sullivan County:||1.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Hampshire:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.15 / 10,000 pop.|
|Sullivan County:||1.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Hampshire:||1.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|Sullivan County:||6.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||4.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||9.70 / 10,000 pop.|
5.80% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($43,914 average adjusted gross income)
|New Hampshire average:||6.07%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Grafton County, NH||0.94% ($44,975 average AGI)|
|from Windsor County, VT||0.62% ($33,583)|
|from Merrimack County, NH||0.59% ($31,637)|
6.53% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($41,691 average adjusted gross income)
|New Hampshire average:||6.45%|
0.06% of residents moved to foreign countries ($824 average AGI)
Sullivan County: 0.06% New Hampshire average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Lempster:
- WNTK (1020 AM; 10 kW; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: KOOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WNBX (1480 AM; 5 kW; SPRINGFIELD, VT)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WKBK (1290 AM; 5 kW; KEENE, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTSV (1230 AM; 1 kW; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Lempster:
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WVRR (101.7 FM; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WZSH (107.1 FM; BELLOWS FALLS, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WKNE (103.7 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WEVN (90.7 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC RADIO, INC.)
- WTPL (107.7 FM; HILLSBORO, NH; Owner: CONCORD BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WNTK-FM (99.7 FM; NEW LONDON, NH; Owner: SHEILA E. VINIKOOR)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WFEX (92.1 FM; PETERBOROUGH, NH; Owner: FNX BROADCASTING OF NEW HAMPSHIRE LLC)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WNNH (99.1 FM; HENNIKER, NH; Owner: TELE-MEDIA COMPANY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, L.L.C.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WXKK (93.5 FM; SPRINGFIELD, VT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEVH (91.3 FM; HANOVER, NH; Owner: NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC RADIO INC)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
TV broadcast stations around Lempster:
- WEKW-TV (Channel 52; KEENE, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
- WVTA (Channel 41; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT ETV, INC.)
- WNNE (Channel 31; HARTFORD, VT; Owner: HEARST-ARGYLE STATIONS, INC.)
- W17CI (Channel 17; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: UPPER VALLEY BROADCASTING, LLC)
Lempster fatal accident list:
Jul 1, 1995 01:40 AM, Route 10, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 12Number of bridges
- 7m23ftTotal length
- $37,704,000Total costs
- 9,770Total average daily traffic
- 434Total average daily truck traffic
- 14,460Total future (year 2035) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:15 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Lempster)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Lat: 43.230194 Lon: -72.151889, Call Sign: WQSK782
Assigned Frequencies: 457.312 MHz, 457.987 MHz, 462.512 MHzGrant Date: 10/22/2013, Expiration Date: 10/22/2023, Certifier: Ryan HaleyRegistrant: Radio Licensing Services, Milwaukie, OR 97222, Phone: (503) 659-1240, Fax: (503) 659-4723, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:17 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Lempster)
FAA Registered Aircraft:3
- Aircraft: MOONEY M20J (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 126 mph), Engine: LYCOMING I0360 SER A&C (200 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 1143A , Serial Number: 24-1179, Year manufactured: 1981, Airworthiness Date: 07/31/1981
Registrant (Individual): Eckhard Straeter, 169 Allen Rd, Lempster, NH 03605
- Aircraft: ANDERSON LANCE J MOD II (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: HKS 700E (60 HP) (4 Cycle)
N-Number: 241LA , Serial Number: 0130020700, Year manufactured: 2007, Airworthiness Date: 06/26/2007
Registrant (Co-Owned): Warren W Hurd, Po Box 204, Lempster, NH 03605, Other Owners: Sindie L Hurd
- Aircraft: GRUMMAN AMERICAN AVN. CORP. AA-5A (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 105 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 9995U , Serial Number: AA5A0395, Year manufactured: 1977, Airworthiness Date: 05/10/1977
Registrant (Partnership): William Rodeschin, 5 Wheeler Ln, Lempster, NH 03605, Other Owners: David Russo
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 11
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (56%)
- Wood (23%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (19%)
- Electricity (2%)
Lempster compared to New Hampshire state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Total of 12 patent applications in 2008-2017.