Liberty: Cabin on St. Georges Lake at route 3, near 173
Liberty: Haystack Mountain from Rte.220 (Main St is crossroad)
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||47.2 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04949.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $23,380 (it was $16,201 in 2000)
Liberty town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $164,275 (it was $85,900 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $187,092; Detached houses: $203,691; Townhouses or other attached units: $261,289; In 2-unit structures: $289,326; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $267,473; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $164,805; Mobile homes: $76,724
Races in Liberty, ME (2010)
- 88897.3%White alone
- 121.3%Two or more races
- 60.7%American Indian alone
- 20.2%Black alone
- 10.1%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
|Possibly relocating to Maine from Texas, Buying Land, etc... (70 replies)|
|Quimbly land donated to Feds - now a National Monument (133 replies)|
|Supply and demand (38 replies)|
|And Maine's Nutters Take us Off and Running! (67 replies)|
|Did all the smokers move out of Portland? (33 replies)|
|Damn Ticks (44 replies)|
Latest news from Liberty, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Liberty, ME City Guides:
Ancestries: English (18.6%), Irish (14.9%), German (11.3%), French (10.1%), United States (9.9%), Italian (4.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 01/31/1827
Elevation: 450 feet
Land area: 25.9 square miles.
Population density: 35 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Liberty:
- High school or higher: 87.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 19.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.4%
- Unemployed: 6.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 33.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Liberty town:
- Never married: 20.2%
- Now married: 61.2%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 4.8%
- Divorced: 12.9%
8 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Liberty, Maine as of April 28, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Liberty to the number of sex offenders is 903 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Liberty town:||0.9% ($768)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (67.4 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (167.0 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (335.7 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Palermo, ME (2.2 miles ), Montville, ME (2.2 miles ), Appleton, ME (2.5 miles ), Washington, ME (2.7 miles ), Searsmont, ME (2.7 miles ), Morrill, ME (3.0 miles ), Freedom, ME (3.0 miles ), Somerville, ME (3.1 miles ).
Latitude: 44.37 N, Longitude: 69.33 W
Area code: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (14%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (10%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Wood products (5%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Transportation equipment (4%)
- Textile mills and textile products (4%)
- Educational services (16%)
- Health care (16%)
- Food and beverage stores (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Finance and insurance (9%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Carpenters (7%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (6%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (6%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (8%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Cashiers (6%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Waiters and waitresses (4%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (4%)
Average climate in Liberty, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Liberty-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 92% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 216.6 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 127.9 miles away from Liberty center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 250.1 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 58.8 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 11.9 miles away from Liberty center
On 1/17/2000 at 08:16:20, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, 3.4 LG, Depth: 10.1 mi) earthquake occurred 56.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Waldo County (17) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 14
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 13, Storms: 10, Snows: 3, Heavy Rains: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Liberty:
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 23 miles; Augusta, ME; Full-time enrollment: 3,204)
- Husson University (about 42 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 46 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine (about 49 miles; Orono, ME; FT enrollment: 8,931)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 67 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 68 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 69 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
Private high school in Liberty:
Public elementary/middle school in Liberty:
- WALKER MEMORIAL SCHOOL (Location: 33 WEST MAIN STREET, Grades: PK-5)
Notable locations in Liberty: Fish Turn (A), Liberty Volunteer Ambulance Service (B), Liberty Volunteer Fire Department (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Fish Cemetery (1), Hannon Cemetery (2), Gove Cemetery (3), Hunt Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Cargill Pond (A), Colby Pond (B), Little Pond (C), Stevens Pond (D), Saint George Lake (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Liberty: Lake Saint George State Park (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attraction: Davistown Museum (Main Street) (1). Display/hide its approximate location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 52.4. This is significantly better than average.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 4.56. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 21.8 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 1.06. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 18.5 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 30.0. This is about average. Closest monitor was 16.1 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 13.1. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 18.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 6.75. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 19.1 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Liberty town (based on Waldo County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Waldo County:||2.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Waldo County:||1.82 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Waldo County:||7.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.91% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($35,908 average adjusted gross income)
0.07% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,481 average AGI)
Waldo County: 0.07% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||1.14% ($27,430 average AGI)|
|from Kennebec County, ME||0.71% ($29,699)|
|from Knox County, ME||0.45% ($28,545)|
6.11% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,013 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Liberty:
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WFAU (1280 AM; 5 kW; GARDINER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WDEA (1370 AM; 5 kW; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WTVL (1490 AM; 1 kW; WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WRKD (1450 AM; 1 kW; ROCKLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGAN (560 AM; 5 kW; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Liberty:
- WMEP (90.5 FM; CAMDEN, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WQSS (102.5 FM; CAMDEN, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WWBX (97.1 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WFZX (101.7 FM; SEARSPORT, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMCM (103.3 FM; ROCKLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WWWA (95.3 FM; WINSLOW, ME; Owner: LIGHT OF LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WBFB (104.7 FM; BELFAST, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBQX (106.9 FM; THOMASTON, ME; Owner: MARINER BROADCASTING LIMITED PARTNER)
- WMME-FM (92.3 FM; AUGUSTA, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKIT-FM (100.3 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WERU-FM (89.9 FM; BLUE HILL, ME; Owner: SALT POND COMMUNITY B/C COMPANY)
- WWMJ (95.7 FM; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WHQO (107.9 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
- WCTB (93.5 FM; FAIRFIELD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
- WMEW (91.3 FM; WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBYA (105.5 FM; ISLESBORO, ME; Owner: MARINER BROADCASTING LIMTED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEBB (98.5 FM; WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCME (96.7 FM; BOOTHBAY HARBOR, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WABK-FM (104.3 FM; GARDINER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
TV broadcast stations around Liberty:
- WABI-TV (Channel 5; BANGOR, ME; Owner: COMMUNITY BROADCASTING SERVICE)
- WPFO (Channel 23; WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: CMCG PORTLAND LICENSE LLC)
- WFYW-LP (Channel 69; FAIRFIELD/WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- DW23AB (Channel 23; WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: RUSSELL COMMUNICATIONS)
- W36CK (Channel 36; BANGOR, ME; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- Liberty, Maine
- Fatal accident count15
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents27
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons:3
- Persons involved in fatal accidents44
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents1
- Maine average
- Fatal accident count59
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents84
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons23
- Persons involved in fatal accidents143
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents4
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 3Number of bridges
- 2m7ftTotal length
- $1,230,000Total costs
- 1,417Total average daily traffic
- 110Total average daily truck traffic
- 2,126Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Liberty)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:20 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:5
- LIBERTY, 12 Mi Ne Of Windsor (Lat: 44.396194 Lon: -69.359778), Type: Tower, Structure height: 109.7 m, Overall height: 111.2 m, Call Sign: WMQ587
Assigned Frequencies: 5945.20 MHz, 6093.45 MHz, 6034.15 MHz, 6004.50 MHz, 6605.00 MHzGrant Date: 01/04/2011, Expiration Date: 02/01/2021Registrant: Holland & Knight LLP, 800 17th Street, N.W., Suite 1100, Washington, DC 20006-3906, Phone: (202) 955-3000, Fax: (202) 955-5564, Email:
- LIBERTY, Off Route 220 (Lat: 44.355250 Lon: -69.335694), Type: Tower, Structure height: 49 m, Call Sign: WQFC939
Assigned Frequencies: 957.150 MHzGrant Date: 04/06/2016, Expiration Date: 06/19/2026, Certifier: Owen R SmithRegistrant: Waldo County Emergency Management Agency, 4 Public Safety Way, Belfast, ME 04941, Phone: (207) 338-3870, Fax: (301) 230-2891, Email:
- Liberty, 0.80 Km Nnw Of Sr-3, 4.82km West Of (Lat: 44.391111 Lon: -69.366111), Type: Tower, Structure height: 91.4 m, Overall height: 96 m, Call Sign: WQJF680
Assigned Frequencies: 6805.00 MHzGrant Date: 08/21/2008, Expiration Date: 08/21/2018, Cancellation Date: 08/06/2015, Certifier: John T Scott IiiRegistrant: Verizon Wireless, 1120 Sanctuary Pkwy, #150 Gasa5reg, Alpharetta, GA 30009-7630, Phone: (770) 797-1070, Fax: (770) 797-1036, Email:
- Liberty, .80km Nnw Of Sr-3 4.82km W (Lat: 44.391111 Lon: -69.366111), Type: Gtower, Structure height: 91.4 m, Overall height: 96 m, Call Sign: WQSB859
Assigned Frequencies: 11425.0 MHz, 11385.0 MHz, 11425.0 MHz, 11385.0 MHz, 11425.0 MHz, 11385.0 MHz, 11425.0 MHz, 11385.0 MHz, 11425.0 MHz, 11385.0 MHz... (+8 more)Grant Date: 08/28/2013, Expiration Date: 08/28/2023, Certifier: Tom BuckleyRegistrant: Lukas, Nace, Gutierrez & Sachs, LLP, 8300 Greensboro Drive, Suite 1200, Mclean, VA 22102, Phone: (703) 584-8678, Fax: (703) 584-8696, Email:
- LIBERTY, Rt 220 (Lat: 44.355333 Lon: -69.335861), Overall height: 70.4 m, Call Sign: KCB83
Assigned Frequencies: 4010.00 MHz, 4070.00 MHz, 4010.00 MHz, 4070.00 MHz, 3770.00 MHz, 3770.00 MHz, 3850.00 MHz, 3850.00 MHz, 3930.00 MHz, 3930.00 MHz, 4090.00 MHz, 4090.00 MHzGrant Date: 02/19/1998, Expiration Date: 02/01/2000, Cancellation Date: 05/07/2000Registrant: Phone: (404) 810-4021
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Liberty)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Liberty and their reported violations in the past:MDOC ST PK - LAKE ST GEORGE (Population served: 255, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:LORIS CAFE (Population served: 190, Groundwater):
- One routine major monitoring violation
Past monitoring violations:
- 19 routine major monitoring violations
- 4 regular monitoring violations
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 27
- Hazardous Condition: 7
- Service Call: 4
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Liberty
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (60%)
- Wood (25%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (10%)
- Electricity (2%)
- Other fuel (2%)
- Utility gas (1%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Liberty compared to Maine state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2017.