We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||52.9 years|
|Georgia median age:||33.4 years|
Zip code: 30546
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $22,518 (it was $20,303 in 2000)
Macedonia CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $161,052 (it was $119,200 in 2000)
Races in Macedonia, GA (2000)
- 2,43998.5%White alone
- 220.9%Two or more races
- 30.1%American Indian alone
- 20.08%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Are people living outside the metro areas cushioned against falling home prices? Jan 21
- The global threat of Islamic terror Jan 19
- Exercise and sleep: which is more important for your health? Jan 17
- Motorcycle industry in the United States Jan 15
- Evolution of First Names: Unisex Names and Nicknames Jan 13
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 73.2 square miles.
Population density: 39 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Macedonia:
- High school or higher: 75.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 19.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.4%
- Unemployed: 6.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 32.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Macedonia CCD:
- Never married: 9.3%
- Now married: 72.4%
- Separated: 0.6%
- Widowed: 10.0%
- Divorced: 8.3%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Macedonia CCD:||0.4% ($443)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Johns Creek, GA (64.9 miles , pop. 76,728).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Atlanta, GA (86.9 miles , pop. 416,474).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (525.0 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Hiawassee, GA (1.9 miles ), Young Harris, GA (2.4 miles ), Hayesville, NC (3.3 miles ), Blairsville, GA (3.3 miles ), Tate City, GA (3.6 miles) , Helen, GA (3.7 miles ), Sautee Nacoochee, GA (3.9 miles ), Ivylog, GA (4.1 miles ).
Latitude: 34.90 N, Longitude: 83.76 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 706
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (30%)
- Health care (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Utilities (5%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (5%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Electrical and electronic goods merchant wholesalers (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (17%)
- Health care (15%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Food and beverage stores (6%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (5%)
- Construction (5%)
- Carpenters (8%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (5%)
- Construction laborers (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (10%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (7%)
- Waiters and waitresses (6%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (6%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
Average climate in Macedonia, Georgia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Macedonia-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Georgia state average. It is 9% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/3/1974, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 20.5 miles away from the Macedonia place center killed 4 people and injured 26 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 4/3/1974, a category F4 tornado 32.6 miles away from the place center killed 6 people and injured 30 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Macedonia-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Georgia state average. It is 81% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 101.6 miles away from the city center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML) earthquake occurred 63.4 miles away from Macedonia center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 109.8 miles away from the city center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 229.0 miles away from the city center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 225.1 miles away from Macedonia center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 335.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Towns County (5) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 3, Flood: 1, Snowfall: 1, Storm: 1, Tornado: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Macedonia:
- CLAY COUNTY CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; HAYESVILLE, NC)
- UNION COUNTY NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; BLAIRSVILLE, GA)
- UNION GENERAL HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 12 miles away; BLAIRSVILLE, GA)
- APPALACHIAN HOME HEALTH CARE, INC (Home Health Center, about 13 miles away; BLAIRSVILLE, GA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Macedonia:
- Piedmont College (about 27 miles; Demorest, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,251)
- University of North Georgia (about 29 miles; Dahlonega, GA; FT enrollment: 12,445)
- Brenau University (about 42 miles; Gainesville, GA; FT enrollment: 2,341)
- Western Carolina University (about 45 miles; Cullowhee, NC; FT enrollment: 8,684)
- Lanier Technical College (about 47 miles; Oakwood, GA; FT enrollment: 2,435)
- Clemson University (about 55 miles; Clemson, SC; FT enrollment: 20,131)
- Tri-County Technical College (about 58 miles; Pendleton, SC; FT enrollment: 5,174)
Notable locations in Macedonia: Department of Natural Resources Work Center (A), High Shoals Falls Scenic Area (B), Camp Pioneer (C), Towns County Fire and Rescue Station 6 (D), Towns County Emergency Medical Service (E), Towns County Fire and Rescue Station 3 (F), Towns County Fire and Rescue Station 5 (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Macedonia include: Hiwassee Church (A), Union Hill Church (B), Mount Zion Church (C), Missionary Church (D), Macedonia Baptist Church (E), Kingdom Hall Church (F), Friendship Church (G), Enotah Church (H), Calvary Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Enotah Cemetery (1), Macedonia Cemetery (2), Rogers Cemetery (3), Russell Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Watkins Branch (A), Tripp Branch (B), Taylor Branch (C), Stillhouse Branch (D), Stable Branch (E), Sparks Branch (F), Spaniard Branch (G), Soapstone Creek (H), Silas Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Macedonia include: Lake Chatuge Recreation Area (1), Swallow Creek Wildlife Management Area (2), Chatuge State Park (3), Towns County Park (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 65.8. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 40.9. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 21.9 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Macedonia CCD (based on Towns County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Towns County:||2.76 / 10,000 pop.|
|Georgia:||1.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|Towns County:||0.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Georgia:||0.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Towns County:||10.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||19.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.41 / 10,000 pop.|
7.97% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($39,831 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Union County, GA||1.19% ($20,222 average AGI)|
|from Clay County, NC||0.58% ($19,455)|
|from Gwinnett County, GA||0.34% ($52,769)|
6.42% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($35,084 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Macedonia:
- WZCM (770 AM; daytime; 1 kW; YOUNG HARRIS, GA; Owner: YOUNG HARRIS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCNN (680 AM; 50 kW; NORTH ATLANTA, GA; Owner: DICKEY BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WLFJ (660 AM; daytime; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, SC; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WDUN (550 AM; 10 kW; GAINESVILLE, GA; Owner: JWJ PROPERTIRS, INC.)
- WSB (750 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WDGR (1210 AM; daytime; 10 kW; DAHLONEGA, GA; Owner: SMALL TOWN RADIO OF GEORGIA, INC.)
- WGST (640 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WKRK (1320 AM; 5 kW; MURPHY, NC; Owner: RADFORD COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WCSZ (1070 AM; 50 kW; SANS SOUCI, SC; Owner: WHYZ RADIO, L.P.)
- WFTD (1080 AM; daytime; 50 kW; MARIETTA, GA; Owner: PRIETO ENTERPRISES, INC.)
- WGUN (1010 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: WGUN, INC.)
- WFGW (1010 AM; 50 kW; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORP.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Macedonia:
- WFQS (91.3 FM; FRANKLIN, NC; Owner: WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA PUBLIC RADIO)
- WCVP-FM (95.9 FM; ROBBINSVILLE, NC; Owner: CHEROKEE BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WRBN (104.1 FM; CLAYTON, GA; Owner: SUTTON RADIOCASTING CORPORATION)
- WTFH (89.9 FM; HELEN, GA; Owner: TOCCOA FALLS COLLEGE)
- WHEL (105.1 FM; HELEN, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- W237AR (95.3 FM; HAZELWOOD, ETC., NC; Owner: WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA PUBLIC RADIO)
- W269AY (101.7 FM; HIGHLANDS, NC; Owner: WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA PUBLIC RADIO)
- WNCC-FM (96.7 FM; FRANKLIN, NC; Owner: SUTTON RADIOCASTING CORPORATION)
- W277AL (103.3 FM; HIGHLANDS, NC; Owner: CHARISMA RADIO CORPORATION)
- WCON-FM (99.3 FM; CORNELIA, GA; Owner: HABERSHAM BROADCASTING CO.)
- WHLC (104.5 FM; HIGHLANDS, NC; Owner: CHARISMA RADIO CORP.)
- WNGC (106.1 FM; TOCCOA, GA; Owner: SOUTHERN BROADCASTING OF PENSACOLA, INC)
- WKSF (99.9 FM; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WIVK-FM (107.7 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WPPR (88.3 FM; DEMOREST, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- WFOX (97.1 FM; GAINESVILLE, GA; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- W234AG (94.7 FM; CHATSWORTH, GA; Owner: IMMANUEL BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WCNG (102.7 FM; MURPHY, NC; Owner: CHEROKEE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WAZX-FM (101.9 FM; CLEVELAND, GA; Owner: WAZX-FM, INC)
- WMJE (102.9 FM; CLARKESVILLE, GA; Owner: JWJ PROPERTIES, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Macedonia:
- W50AB (Channel 50; HIAWASSEE, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- W07BB (Channel 7; HIAWASSEE, ETC., GA; Owner: TRI-COUNTY TV BOOSTER CLUB,INC)
- W42AT (Channel 42; HAYESVILLE, NC; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA)
- WNEG-TV (Channel 32; TOCCOA, GA; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL BROADCASTING OF SO. CAROLINA HOLDINGS, INC.)
- W10AM (Channel 10; HIAWASSEE, ETC., GA; Owner: TRI-COUNTY TV BOOSTER CLUB,INC)
- W13AX (Channel 13; HIAWASSEE, ETC., GA; Owner: TRI-COUNTY TV BOOSTER CLUB, INC)
- W04BJ (Channel 4; YOUNG HARRIS, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (60%)
- Electricity (23%)
- Wood (8%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (5%)
- Utility gas (4%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Macedonia compared to Georgia state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.