Macon: Macon church.
Macon: Samariton Memorial Hospital.
Macon: Downtown Macon.
Macon: Macon city library.
Macon: Macon post office.
Macon: Macon county courthouse.
Macon: Macon City Limit Sign
Macon: Macon lake.
Macon: Old sanitorium - now housing.
Macon: Section of hwy. 63 buisness district.
Macon: National guard armory.
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||41.7 years|
|Missouri median age:||38.1 years|
Zip codes: 63552.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $18,120 (it was $16,679 in 2000)
Macon city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $79,628 (it was $65,100 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $402.
Races in Macon, MO (2013)
- 4,98590.4%White alone
- 3696.7%Black alone
- 360.7%Asian alone
- 200.4%Two or more races
- 50.09%American Indian alone
|Illegal Black Rhino horns in Macon Mo (0 replies)|
|Is Springfield, Mo really that racist? (157 replies)|
|New to missouri / need info on laclede (37 replies)|
|Macon, Atlanta and the areas around (3 replies)|
|Most progressive areas in Missouri? (141 replies)|
|Gov.Nixon and students (6 replies)|
Latest news from Macon, MO collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (27.3%), United States (15.4%), Irish (14.7%), English (10.0%), Italian (4.8%), French (2.2%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1859
Elevation: 872 feet
Land area: 6.13 square miles.
Population density: 899 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Macon:
- High school or higher: 83.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 18.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.8%
- Unemployed: 2.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 14.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Macon city:
- Never married: 23.6%
- Now married: 47.6%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 11.7%
- Divorced: 16.2%
43 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Missouri and other state lists there were 16 registered sex offenders living in Macon, Missouri as of September 02, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Macon to the number of sex offenders is 344 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $725 (0.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $651 (1.0%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Columbia, MO (55.3 miles , pop. 84,531).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Kansas City, MO (120.5 miles , pop. 441,545).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (289.9 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Bevier, MO (2.2 miles ), Excello, MO (2.7 miles) , Callao, MO (2.9 miles ), Jacksonville, MO (3.2 miles) , Atlanta, MO (3.3 miles ), Clarence, MO (3.3 miles ), New Cambria, MO (3.9 miles ), Cairo, MO (4.0 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 9 buildings, average cost: $90,300
- 1998: 7 buildings, average cost: $96,000
- 1999: 8 buildings, average cost: $101,700
- 2000: 9 buildings, average cost: $108,200
- 2001: 7 buildings, average cost: $111,900
- 2002: 10 buildings, average cost: $116,300
- 2003: 6 buildings, average cost: $138,300
- 2004: 13 buildings, average cost: $129,600
- 2006: 14 buildings, average cost: $149,000
- 2007: 12 buildings, average cost: $70,800
- 2008: 3 buildings, average cost: $161,100
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $100,000
- 2011: 10 buildings, average cost: $60,000
- 2012: 5 buildings, average cost: $100,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 39.74 N, Longitude: 92.47 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +1,587 (+28.8%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,560 (67.6%)
Area code: 660
|Crime rates in Macon by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 294.7)||307.6||258.8||214.1||219.4||206.2||233.3||195.3||161.5||199.1||203.9||219.6||269.3||182.3|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Macon detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.18|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -34 (-0.6%).
- Manufacturing (15%)
- Public administration (13%)
- Retail trade (11%)
- Construction (9%)
- Health care and social assistance (8%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (30%)
- Retail trade (12%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Manufacturing (8%)
- Other services, except public administration (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (13%)
- Production occupations (9%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (8%)
- Sales and related occupations (7%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (7%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (7%)
- Material moving occupations (7%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (21%)
- Healthcare support occupations (10%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (9%)
- Personal care and service occupations (8%)
- Sales and related occupations (8%)
- Health technologists and technicians (6%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (6%)
Average climate in Macon, Missouri
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Macon-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Missouri state average. It is 20% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/12/1970, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 10.7 miles away from the Macon city center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 4/23/1975, a category F4 tornado 11.4 miles away from the city center killed one person and injured 4 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Macon-area historical earthquake activity is near Missouri state average. It is 77% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 261.7 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 253.6 miles away from Macon center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 238.7 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 262.7 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 280.2 miles away from Macon center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 263.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Macon County (17) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 8, Storms: 8, Tornadoes: 5, Winter Storms: 4, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Orlando Ward - Army general, Chuck Rose - Professional baseball player, Henry A. Bamman - Author, Del Young (outfielder) - Baseball player baseball player, Henderson Forsythe - Film actor, James P. Kem - Politician.
Hospitals and medical centers in Macon:
- MACON COUNTY SAMARITAN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (provides emergency services, 1205 NORTH MISSOURI)
- SAMARITAN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (1205 N MISSOURI ST)
- SAMARITAN HOME HEALTH AGENCY (1205 NORTH MISSOURI)
- LOCH HAVEN (701 SUNSET HILLS DR, PO BOX 187)
- MACON COUNTY NURSING HOME (SUNSET HILLS DR BOX 187)
- MACON HEALTH CARE CENTER (29612 KELLOGG AVENUE, PO BOX 465)
- MACON HEALTH CARE CTR (P O BOX 465 HIGHWAY 36 EAST)
Airports located in Macon:
- Macon-Fower Memorial Airport (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 1,869, Local Ops: 1,225, Military Ops: 20)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Macon:
- Moberly Area Community College (about 23 miles; Moberly, MO; Full-time enrollment: 3,977)
- Truman State University (about 32 miles; Kirksville, MO; FT enrollment: 5,553)
- Columbia College (about 55 miles; Columbia, MO; FT enrollment: 13,975)
- University of Missouri-Columbia (about 56 miles; Columbia, MO; FT enrollment: 29,599)
- Lincoln University (about 83 miles; Jefferson City, MO; FT enrollment: 2,348)
- State Fair Community College (about 84 miles; Sedalia, MO; FT enrollment: 3,581)
- Indian Hills Community College (about 91 miles; Ottumwa, IA; FT enrollment: 4,034)
Public high schools in Macon:
Public elementary/middle schools in Macon:
Private elementary/middle schools in Macon:
User submitted facts and corrections:
- Moberly Area Community College is located in Moberly, Missouri just 15 miles south of Macon in Moberly. Junior college based out of Moberly offering 2 year tranferable program in several locations through out North East Missouri.
- stong FM radio stations: KBIA, NPR affiliate in Columbia, MO 89.7FM
Notable locations in Macon: Macon Plaza (A), Macon Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Macon: Crossroads Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: East Woodlawn Cemetery (1), Oakwood Cemetery (2), Saint Marys Cemetery (3), Woodlawn Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Macon Lake (A), Still Hildreth Lake (B), Macon Lake (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Macon: Stephens Park (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attractions: Blees STIL Hildreth Preservation Inc (Museums; 314 North Rollins Street), Don's Skate Center (Amusement & Theme Parks; Highway 63 South).
Hotels: Best Western Inn (28933 Sunset Drive), Comfort Inn Macon (1821 North Missouri).
Courts: Court House (101 East Washington), Associate Circut Court Division 2-Traffic (101 East Washington Street), Missouri Court Of Appeals (716 Sunset Hills Drive), American Court Services (104 West Bourke Street), Macon County - Macon County Municipal Court (106 West Bourke Street).
(14.3% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 33.3% for Black residents, 41.5% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 100.0% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.1% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
People in group quarters in Macon in 2010:
- 221 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 12 people in workers' group living quarters and job corps centers
- 8 people in group homes intended for adults
People in group quarters in Macon in 2000:
- 238 people in nursing homes
- 19 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
- 5 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
Macon compared to Missouri state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Banks with branches in Macon (2011 data):
- U.S. Bank National Association: Macon North Branch at 1608 North Rutherford Street, branch established on 1991/11/21; Macon Branch at 318 North Rollins, branch established on 1965/04/12. Info updated 2012/01/30: Bank assets: $330,470.8 mil, Deposits: $236,091.5 mil, headquarters in Cincinnati, OH, positive income, 3121 total offices, Holding Company: U.S. Bancorp
- Citizens Bank and Trust Company: Macon Branch at 707 Briggs Drive, branch established on 1906/01/01. Info updated 2008/08/25: Bank assets: $867.0 mil, Deposits: $709.5 mil, headquarters in Chillicothe, MO, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 19 total offices, Holding Company: Young Partners, L.P.
- Bank Midwest, National Association: Macon Branch # 75 at 1612 Maffry Street, branch established on 1933/01/01. Info updated 2012/03/19: Bank assets: $6,237.6 mil, Deposits: $5,064.6 mil, headquarters in Kansas City, MO, positive income, 138 total offices, Holding Company: Nbh Holdings Corp.
- Macon-Atlanta State Bank: at 1513 North Missouri Street, branch established on 1893/01/01. Info updated 2012/02/02: Bank assets: $212.2 mil, Deposits: $185.1 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 1 total offices, Holding Company: Macon-Atlanta Bancorp, Inc.
- Bank of Kirksville: Bank Of Macon-A Division Of Bank Of at 1512 North Missouri, branch established on 2005/06/07. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $507.8 mil, Deposits: $420.8 mil, headquarters in Kirksville, MO, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 8 total offices, Holding Company: Rockhold Bancorp
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Macon, Missouri:
- Americas Best Value Inn, 28933 Sunset Dr, Macon, MO 63552 , Phone: (660) 385-2125
- Super 8 Motel, 203 E Briggs Dr, Macon, MO 63552 , Phone: (660) 385-5788, Fax: (660) 385-5788
- Comfort Inn, 1821 N Missouri, Macon, MO 63552 , Phone: (660) 395-8000, Fax: (660) 395-8001
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (53%)
- Electricity (35%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (8%)
- Wood (3%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Macon city (based on Macon County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Macon County:||1.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|Missouri:||1.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|Macon County:||0.64 / 10,000 pop.|
|Missouri:||0.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|Macon County:||6.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||11.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2013)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||3||$15,301||$61,204||10||$3,260|
|Judicial and Legal||1||$4,337||$52,044||4||$3,278|
|Police Protection - Officers||11||$31,220||$34,058||4||$2,259|
|Police - Other||2||$5,035||$30,210||5||$5,334|
|Streets and Highways||8||$23,603||$35,405||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||0||$0||1||$434|
|Parks and Recreation||2||$4,311||$25,866||0||$0|
|Housing and Community Development(Local)||2||$6,184||$37,104||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||80||$292,468||$43,870||46||$24,866|
4.58% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($28,537 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Randolph County, MO||0.54% ($28,344 average AGI)|
|from Adair County, MO||0.53% ($21,742)|
|from Boone County, MO||0.31% ($20,667)|
5.44% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($26,349 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Macon:
- KLTI (1560 AM; 1 kW; MACON, MO; Owner: CHIRILLO ELECTRONICS, INC.)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WTAD (930 AM; 5 kW; QUINCY, IL; Owner: STARADIO CORPORATION)
- KKHK (1250 AM; 25 kW; KANSAS CITY, KS)
- WPSN (1590 AM; 3 kW; HONESDALE, PA; Owner: DE WIT BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KWIX (1230 AM; 1 kW; MOBERLY, MO; Owner: KWIX, INC.)
- KHMO (1070 AM; 5 kW; HANNIBAL, MO)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KCMO (710 AM; 10 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: SUSQUEHANNA KANSAS CITY PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Macon:
- KIRK (99.9 FM; MACON, MO; Owner: KIRK, L.L.C.)
- KRES (104.7 FM; MOBERLY, MO; Owner: KWIX, INC)
- KLTE (107.9 FM; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Owner: BOTT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KWWR (95.7 FM; MEXICO, MO; Owner: KXEO RADIO, INC.)
- KZZT (105.5 FM; MOBERLY, MO; Owner: FM-105, INC.)
- KRXL (94.5 FM; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Owner: KIRX, INC.)
- KTUF (93.7 FM; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Owner: KIRX, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Macon:
- KTVO (Channel 3; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Owner: KTVO LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 13Number of bridges
- 68m223ftTotal length
- $1,147,000Total costs
- 59,705Total average daily traffic
- 9,634Total average daily truck traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Macon)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:60 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:21 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Macon, MO)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:91 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Macon)
FAA Registered Aircraft:5
- Aircraft: VANS AIRCRAFT INC RV-12 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: ROTAX 912ULS (100 HP) (4 Cycle)
N-Number: 167SW , Serial Number: 120038, Year manufactured: 2009, Airworthiness Date: 04/30/2010
Registrant (Individual): Stephen S Wyman, 27124 State Highway Ax, Macon, MO 63552
- Aircraft: PIPER PA-28-151 (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 80 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 234JC , Serial Number: 28-7715093, Year manufactured: 1976
Registrant (Co-Owned): Christopher L Shoemaker, 1317 Magnolia St, Macon, MO 63552, Other Owners: Tammy D Shoemaker
- Aircraft: CESSNA 172L (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 105 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 3845Q , Serial Number: 17259945, Year manufactured: 1971
Registrant (Corporation): Macon Flying Club Inc, Po Box 295, Macon, MO 63552
- Aircraft: CESSNA A150L (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 90 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR 0-200 SERIES (100 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 5992J , Serial Number: A1500292, Year manufactured: 1971, Airworthiness Date: 09/17/1971
Registrant (Co-Owned): Timothy T Watts, 209 E Lincoln St, Macon, MO 63552, Other Owners: Jane M Watts
- Aircraft: BALLOON WORKS FIREFLY 7 (Category: Land, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 63 mph), Engine: None
N-Number: 7415J , Serial Number: F7-235, Airworthiness Date: 08/26/1985
Registrant (Co-Owned): Stephen E Foltz, Po Box 563, Macon, MO 63552, Other Owners: Sharon K Foltz
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 49
- Hazardous Condition: 15
- Service Call: 8
- Good Intent Call: 2
Incident types - Macon
|Most common first names in Macon, MO among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Macon, MO among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Macon, MO|
|Burger King||1||SONIC Drive-In||1|
Total of 3 patent applications in 2008-2015.