Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania
Mahanoy City: Old Elks Theater
Mahanoy City: C & J's Dog House, Center Street
Mahanoy City: An over look of Mahanoy City from the old Junior High School
Mahanoy City: McLaren Auto Supply, Center Street
Mahanoy City: Mahanoy City Lumber and Supply Company
Submit your own pictures of this borough and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||34.2 years|
|Pennsylvania median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 17948.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $18,393 (it was $14,369 in 2000)
Mahanoy City borough income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $29,225 (it was $27,400 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $127,042; Detached houses: $154,681; Townhouses or other attached units: $58,432; In 2-unit structures: $81,065; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $72,823; Mobile homes: $67,823
Median gross rent in 2015: $620.
Races in Mahanoy City, PA (2010)
- 3,85492.6%White alone
- 521.2%Two or more races
- 350.8%Black alone
- 140.3%American Indian alone
- 110.3%Asian alone
- 10.02%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
|Anthracite Coal Miners of Eastern PA (99 replies)|
|Shamokin named ******* of the Week" on Comedy Central (32 replies)|
|The PA Coal Region in great decline any thoughts? (56 replies)|
|Thinking of Shenandoah (2 replies)|
|Outstanding Pizza Poll - NEPA PIZZA? (372 replies)|
|Writing a book; need geographical information for Harrisburg and surrounding areas (20 replies)|
Latest news from Mahanoy City, PA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (13.4%), Lithuanian (9.2%), Italian (5.5%), Polish (4.8%), American (4.2%), Slovak (3.6%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 12/16/1863
Elevation: 1256 feet
Land area: 0.51 square miles.
Population density: 7,961 people per square mile(high).
For population 25 years and over in Mahanoy City:
- High school or higher: 84.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.5%
- Unemployed: 9.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mahanoy City borough:
- Never married: 41.2%
- Now married: 32.8%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 11.8%
- Divorced: 11.6%
208 residents are foreign born (4.4% Latin America, 0.5% Europe).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $1,108 (2.1%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $767 (2.8%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Reading, PA (34.4 miles , pop. 81,207).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Philadelphia, PA (77.0 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: New Boston-Morea, PA (1.4 miles ), Shenandoah borough, PA (1.8 miles ), Brandonville, PA (1.9 miles ), Shenandoah Heights, PA (1.9 miles ), Delano, PA (2.0 miles ), Grier City-Park Crest, PA (2.1 miles ), Grier City, PA (2.1 miles ), Gilberton borough, PA (2.1 miles ).
Latitude: 40.81 N, Longitude: 76.14 W
Area code: 570
|Crime rates in Mahanoy City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 270.1)||21.5||49.3||59.6||104.0||211.7||224.3||287.6||213.3||117.9|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Mahanoy City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||0.74|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -619 (-11.8%).
- Manufacturing (36%)
- Transportation and warehousing (14%)
- Retail trade (11%)
- Construction (10%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (3%)
- Wholesale trade (3%)
- Health care and social assistance (35%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Retail trade (12%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Manufacturing (5%)
- Material moving occupations (24%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (14%)
- Production occupations (13%)
- Sales and related occupations (9%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (8%)
- Management occupations (6%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (5%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (27%)
- Healthcare support occupations (14%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (13%)
- Sales and related occupations (9%)
- Health technologists and technicians (6%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (6%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (4%)
Average climate in Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Mahanoy City-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Pennsylvania state average. It is 5% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/31/1998, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 26.2 miles away from the Mahanoy City borough center injured 7 people and caused $1 million in damages.
On 6/18/1970, a category F3 tornado 28.9 miles away from the borough center killed one person and injured 5 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Mahanoy City-area historical earthquake activity is near Pennsylvania state average. It is 86% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 33.8 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 235.8 miles away from Mahanoy City center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 226.5 miles away from the city center
On 1/16/1994 at 00:42:43, a magnitude 4.2 (4.2 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 34.3 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 282.4 miles away from Mahanoy City center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 266.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Schuylkill County (19) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 14
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 6, Storms: 6, Snowstorms: 3, Tropical Storms: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Hurricanes: 2, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Mudslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Depression: 1, Water Shortage: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: David Huebner - Diplomat, Joe Dugan - Baseball player, Kevin C. Rhoades - Catholic bishop, Victor Schertzinger - Musician, Charlie Copley - Player of Football, Edward Lucyk - Politician, George Senesky - Basketball player-coach, Joe Boley - Major League Baseball shortstop, Ron Northey - Baseball player and coach, William Matthews (baseball) - Baseball player.
Hospitals and medical centers near Mahanoy City:
- SHENANDOAH MANOR NURSING CENTE (Nursing Home, about 4 miles away; SHENANDOAH, PA)
- RIDGEVIEW HEALTHCARE AND REHAB CENTER LLC (Nursing Home, about 5 miles away; SHENANDOAH, PA)
- BROAD MOUNTAIN NSG FRACKVILLE (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; FRACKVILLE, PA)
- BROAD MOUNTAIN NURSING AND REH (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; FRACKVILLE, PA)
- SCHUYLKILL CENTER (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; POTTSVILLE, PA)
- SCHUYLKILL MEDICAL CENTER - EAST NORWEGIAN STREET Acute Care Hospitals (about 9 miles away; POTTSVILLE, PA)
- HOMETOWN NURSING AND REHAB CEN (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; TAMAQUA, PA)
Operable nuclear power plants near Mahanoy City:
- 18 miles: Susquehanna 1 and 2 in Berwick, PA.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mahanoy City:
- McCann School of Business & Technology (about 11 miles; Pottsville, PA; Full-time enrollment: 3,412)
- Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania (about 21 miles; Bloomsburg, PA; FT enrollment: 9,452)
- Luzerne County Community College (about 28 miles; Nanticoke, PA; FT enrollment: 4,724)
- Kutztown University of Pennsylvania (about 28 miles; Kutztown, PA; FT enrollment: 9,099)
- Lehigh Carbon Community College (about 30 miles; Schnecksville, PA; FT enrollment: 4,391)
- Wilkes University (about 33 miles; Wilkes-Barre, PA; FT enrollment: 3,912)
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Berks (about 33 miles; Reading, PA; FT enrollment: 2,605)
Public high school in Mahanoy City:
- MAHANOY AREA HS (Students: 390, Location: 1 GOLDEN BEAR DR, Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Mahanoy City:
Notable locations in Mahanoy City: Washington Hook and Ladder Company 1 (A), Humane Fire Company 1 (B), Good American Hose Company 3 (C), West End Fire and Rescue Company (D), Citizens Fire Company 2 / Mahanoy City Emergency Medical Services (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creek: North Mahanoy Creek (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Court: District Court 21-3-05 (930 West Centre Street).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2007 was 30.8. This is significantly better than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2007 was 0.462. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 3.8 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2007 was 5.72. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 3.8 miles away from the city center.
(21.7% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 100.0% for Black residents, 27.3% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 35.0% for American Indian residents, 9.3% for other race residents, 9.3% for two or more races residents)
|This borough:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
8 people in religious group quarters in 2000
Banks with branches in Mahanoy City (2011 data):
- Manufacturers and Traders Trust Company: Mahanoy City Branch at One East Centre Street, branch established on 1964/05/11; Mahanoy City Drive-Up Facility Branc at Main & Centre Streets, branch established on 2003/06/30. Info updated 2011/08/08: Bank assets: $76,887.1 mil, Deposits: $60,064.2 mil, headquarters in Buffalo, NY, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 808 total offices, Holding Company: M&T Bank Corporation
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Mahanoy City borough (based on Schuylkill County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Schuylkill County:||2.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pennsylvania:||2.04 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.07 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.09 / 10,000 pop.|
|Schuylkill County:||0.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pennsylvania:||0.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|Schuylkill County:||3.26 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.12 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Mahanoy City, PA Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||12||$10,380||$10,380||1||$1,098|
|Police Protection - Officers||4||$18,567||$55,701||2||$5,018|
|Streets and Highways||3||$8,729||$34,916||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||20||$40,404||$24,242||9||$6,473|
Mahanoy City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Regular Highways: $3,000 ($0.73)
- Current Operations - Police Protection: $303,000 ($74.21)
Regular Highways: $226,000 ($55.35)
Solid Waste Management: $219,000 ($53.64)
General - Other: $145,000 ($35.51)
Central Staff Services: $129,000 ($31.59)
Fire Protection: $54,000 ($13.23)
Housing & Community Development: $38,000 ($9.31)
Protective Inspection and Regulation, NEC: $28,000 ($6.86)
Judicial and Legal Services: $7,000 ($1.71)
Libraries: $7,000 ($1.71)
Financial Administration: $6,000 ($1.47)
Parks & Recreation: $5,000 ($1.22)
Health Services - Other: $3,000 ($0.73)
- General - Interest on Debt: $1,000 ($0.24)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $514,000 ($125.89)
Mahanoy City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Solid Waste Management: $231,000 ($56.58)
All Other: $22,000 ($5.39)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $4,000 ($0.98)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $36,000 ($8.82)
Interest Earnings: $19,000 ($4.65)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $149,000 ($36.49)
General Support: $74,000 ($18.12)
Housing & Community Development: $1,000 ($0.24)
- Tax - Property: $351,000 ($85.97)
Individual Income: $223,000 ($54.62)
NEC: $153,000 ($37.47)
Mahanoy City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $15,000 ($3.67)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $5,000 ($1.22)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $10,000 ($2.45)
Mahanoy City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Bond Fund - Cash & Deposits: $4,000 ($0.98)
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $329,000 ($80.58)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $1,000 ($0.24)
3.03% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,818 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Berks County, PA||0.40% ($35,142 average AGI)|
|from Luzerne County, PA||0.30% ($28,678)|
|from Carbon County, PA||0.29% ($29,710)|
3.44% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($36,022 average adjusted gross income)
0.02% of residents moved to foreign countries ($171 average AGI)
Schuylkill County: 0.02% Pennsylvania average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Mahanoy City:
- WPPA (1360 AM; 5 kW; POTTSVILLE, PA; Owner: POTTSVILLE BROADCASTING CO.)
- WOGY (1300 AM; 5 kW; WEST HAZLETON, PA; Owner: ENTERCOM WILKES-BARRE SCRANTON, LLC)
- WWJZ (640 AM; 50 kW; MOUNT HOLLY, NJ; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WEEU (830 AM; 20 kW; READING, PA; Owner: WEEU BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WLSH (1410 AM; 5 kW; LANSFORD, PA; Owner: J-SYSTEMS FRANCHISING CORP.)
- WVCH (740 AM; 50 kW; CHESTER, PA; Owner: WVCH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WZZD (990 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: PENNSYLVANIA MEDIA ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- KYW (1060 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WPEN (950 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: GREATER PHILADELPHIA RADIO, INC.)
- WPAM (1450 AM; 1 kW; POTTSVILLE, PA; Owner: CURRAN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WKOK (1070 AM; 10 kW; SUNBURY, PA; Owner: SUNBURY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WNWR (1540 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA)
Strongest FM radio stations in Mahanoy City:
- W220BE (91.9 FM; ST. CLAIR, PA; Owner: SALT & LIGHT MEDIA MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WAVT-FM (101.9 FM; POTTSVILLE, PA; Owner: POTTSVILLE BROADCASTING CO.)
- WMGH-FM (105.5 FM; TAMAQUA, PA; Owner: J-SYSTEMS FRANCHISING CORP.)
- WFYY (106.5 FM; BLOOMSBURG, PA; Owner: RADIO FRIENDZ, INC.)
- WBSX (97.9 FM; HAZLETON, PA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- W299AF (107.7 FM; CATAWISSA, PA; Owner: SALT & LIGHT MEDIA MINISTRIES, INC.)
- W256AB (99.1 FM; POTTSVILLE, PA; Owner: TEMPLE UNIV OF COMMONWEALTH SYSTEM)
- WMGS (92.9 FM; WILKES-BARRE, PA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WSPI (99.7 FM; MOUNT CARMEL, PA; Owner: H & P COMMUNICATIONS, LTD)
- W290AC (105.9 FM; PALMERTON, PA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WVIA-FM (89.9 FM; SCRANTON, PA; Owner: NORTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA EDUCATIONAL TV ASSN.)
- WAMT (103.1 FM; FREELAND, PA; Owner: ENTERCOM WILKES-BARRE SCRANTON, LLC)
- W218AX (91.5 FM; HAZLETON, PA; Owner: GOSPEL MEDIA INSTITUTE, INC.)
- WBHT (97.1 FM; MOUNTAIN TOP, PA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WKRZ (98.5 FM; WILKES-BARRE, PA; Owner: ENTERCOM WILKES-BARRE SCRANTON, LLC)
- WQFM (92.1 FM; NANTICOKE, PA; Owner: THE SCRANTON TIMES, L.P.)
- WCLH (90.7 FM; WILKES-BARRE, PA; Owner: WILKES COLLEGE)
- W219CG (91.7 FM; WILKER-BARRE, PA; Owner: PENSACOLA CHRISTIAN COLLEGE, INC.)
- W202BD (88.3 FM; HAZLETON, PA; Owner: PENSACOLA CHRISTIAN COLLEGE, INC.)
- WPGM-FM (96.7 FM; DANVILLE, PA; Owner: MONTROSE BROADCASTING CORP.)
TV broadcast stations around Mahanoy City:
- WNEP-TV (Channel 16; SCRANTON, PA; Owner: NEW YORK TIMES MANAGEMENT SERVICES)
- WVIA-TV (Channel 44; SCRANTON, PA; Owner: NE PA ED TV ASSOCIATION)
- WBRE-TV (Channel 28; WILKES-BARRE, PA; Owner: NEXSTAR BROADCASTING OF NORTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA, L.L.C.)
- WYOU (Channel 22; SCRANTON, PA; Owner: MISSION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WOLF-TV (Channel 56; HAZLETON, PA; Owner: WOLF LICENSE CORP.)
- WLYH-TV (Channel 15; LANCASTER, PA; Owner: TELEVISION STATION GROUP LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
- WTVE (Channel 51; READING, PA; Owner: READING BROADCASTING, INC.)
- W24BL (Channel 24; POTTSVILLE, ETC., PA; Owner: NEXSTAR BROADCASTING OF NORTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA, L.L.C.)
- W47AO (Channel 47; BERWICK, PA; Owner: TRIPLE J COMMUNITY BROADCASTING., L.L.C.)
- W19CI (Channel 19; BERWICK, PA; Owner: CATHOLIC BROADCASTING OF SCRANTON, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 0mTotal length
- 100Total average daily traffic
- 187Total future (year 2030) average daily traffic
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 30
- Hazardous Condition: 14
Incident types - Mahanoy City
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (54%)
- Electricity (27%)
- Coal or coke (16%)
- Utility gas (2%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
- Wood (1%)
Businesses in Mahanoy City, PA
- GNC: 1
- Rite Aid: 1
Mahanoy City compared to Pennsylvania state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Mahanoy City on our top lists:
- #76 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest housing density (population 2,000+)"
- #82 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the smallest percentage of one, detached housing units in structures (2,000+ housing units)"
- #4 (17948) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the lowest charity contributions deductions as a percentage of AGI in 2012 (pop 5,000+)"
- #37 (17948) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Lithuanian first ancestries"
- #84 (17948) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the smallest percentage of taxpayers reporting profit/loss from business in 2012 (pop 5,000+)"
- #90 (17948) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the smallest percentage of taxpayers using charity contributions deductions in 2012 (pop 5,000+)"
- #14 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest percentage of residents relocating to other counties in 2011"
- #17 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest percentage of residents relocating to foreign countries in 2011"
- #20 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2007-2013 (pop. 50,000+)"
- #31 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest number of births per 1000 residents 2007-2013"
- #57 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the most Mainline Protestant congregations"