We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||52.7 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip code: 05905
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $24,264 (it was $15,668 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $151,846 (it was $85,000 in 2000)
Races in Maidstone, VT (2010)
- 20598.6%White alone
- 21.0%American Indian alone
- 10.5%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The fastest-growing industry sectors in the Northeast are Construction-related Apr 25
- The decline of the U.S. Agriculture industry visualized Apr 23
- The revenues and net sales of Samsonite Apr 21
- Crowfunding is a fast-increasing market Apr 19
- The number of jobs in Construction is falling across the U.S. Apr 17
|Route 9 danger (53 replies)|
|Northeast Kingdom- This local has some questions about visiting. (1 reply)|
|Newport biotech (38 replies)|
|Honda fit in the winter (18 replies)|
Latest news from Maidstone, VT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (34.3%), French (21.9%), United States (10.5%), Scottish (9.5%), Dutch (5.7%), Irish (3.8%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 880 feet
Land area: 30.5 square miles.
Population density: 6.8 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Maidstone:
- High school or higher: 58.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 28.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.7%
- Unemployed: 8.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 31.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Maidstone town:
- Never married: 28.9%
- Now married: 48.2%
- Separated: 6.0%
- Widowed: 9.6%
- Divorced: 7.2%
2 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Vermont and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Maidstone, Vermont as of April 26, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Maidstone to the number of sex offenders is 104 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Maidstone town:||1.2% ($1,042)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (96.4 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (163.6 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (286.6 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Stratford, NH (2.1 miles ), Granby, VT (2.2 miles) , Brunswick, VT (2.3 miles) , Ferdinand, VT (2.6 miles) , Groveton, NH (2.7 miles ), Northumberland, NH (2.7 miles ), Guildhall, VT (2.7 miles ), Bloomfield, VT (3.1 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 2 buildings, average cost: $91,700
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $109,200
- 2003: 2 buildings, average cost: $132,800
- 2004: 5 buildings, average cost: $138,800
- 2005: 4 buildings, average cost: $138,800
- 2006: 2 buildings, average cost: $171,000
- 2007: 2 buildings, average cost: $171,000
- 2008: 2 buildings, average cost: $171,000
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $171,000
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $171,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 44.65 N, Longitude: 71.64 W
Area code: 802
Unemployment by year (%)
Average climate in Maidstone, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Maidstone-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Vermont state average. It is 92% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 103.0 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 142.2 miles away from Maidstone center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 79.8 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1995 at 12:13:11, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 28.8 miles away from the city center
On 8/21/1996 at 07:54:14, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 35.4 miles away from Maidstone center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 101.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Essex County (16) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 15
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 11, Storms: 10, Tropical Storms: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Maidstone:
- NORTHWOODS HOME HEALTH AND HOSPICE (Home Health Center, about 10 miles away; LANCASTER, NH)
- COUNTRY VILLAGE CENTER, GENESIS HEALTHCARE (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; LANCASTER, NH)
- MCKERLEY HEALTH CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; LANCASTER, NH)
- FRESENIUS MEDICAL CARE OF LANCASTER (Dialysis Facility, about 13 miles away; LANCASTER, NH)
- WEEKS MEDICAL CENTER Critical Access Hospitals (about 13 miles away; LANCASTER, NH)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Maidstone:
- Norwich University (about 62 miles; Northfield, VT; Full-time enrollment: 4,221)
- Plymouth State University (about 63 miles; Plymouth, NH; FT enrollment: 4,838)
- Dartmouth College (about 74 miles; Hanover, NH; FT enrollment: 6,030)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 74 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- Saint Michael's College (about 76 miles; Colchester, VT; FT enrollment: 2,336)
- Community College of Vermont (about 77 miles; Winooski, VT; FT enrollment: 3,394)
- University of Vermont (about 78 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 11,566)
Notable locations in Maidstone: Camping Area B (A), Camping Area A (B), Essex County Courthouse (C), Maidstone State Park Nature Center (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Webb Cemetery (1), Taylor Cemetery (2), Stevens-McDade Cemetery (3), Rich Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Dutton Pond (A), Stevens Pond (B), West Mountain Pond (C), Maidstone Lake (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Taylor Brook (A), Rich Brook (B), Maidstone Brook (C), Dutton Brook (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2002 was 23.4. This is significantly better than average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2002 was 1.47. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 7.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 18.4. This is about average. Closest monitor was 7.2 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Maidstone town (based on Essex County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Essex County:||3.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Essex County:||6.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||15.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
7.51% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($26,339 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Caledonia County, VT||1.91% ($23,813 average AGI)|
|from Coos County, NH||1.59% ($26,075)|
|from Orleans County, VT||0.52% ($21,385)|
7.29% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($67,934 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Maidstone:
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WTWN (1100 AM; daytime; 5 kW; WELLS RIVER, VT; Owner: PUFFER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDEV (550 AM; 5 kW; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Maidstone:
- WGMT (97.7 FM; LYNDON, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMTK (106.3 FM; LITTLETON, NH; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WXXS (102.3 FM; LANCASTER, NH; Owner: BARRY P. LUNDERVILLE)
- WLKC (103.3 FM; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO BROADCASTING SERVICES, INC.)
- WVPS (107.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WEZF (92.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WVFM (105.7 FM; CAMPTON, NH; Owner: DEVON BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WCVT (101.7 FM; STOWE, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT CLASSICS, L.L.C.)
- WCKJ (90.5 FM; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WKXH (105.5 FM; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WDOT (95.7 FM; DANVILLE, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING INC)
- WNCS (104.7 FM; MONTPELIER, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSCY (106.9 FM; MOULTONBOROUGH, NH; Owner: NORTHEAST COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WLOB-FM (96.3 FM; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: ATLANTIC COAST RADIO, LLC)
- W243AE (96.5 FM; ORLEANS, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WTBM (100.7 FM; MEXICO, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WMOO (92.1 FM; DERBY CENTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSTAR MEDIA, INC.)
- WLTN-FM (96.7 FM; LISBON, NH; Owner: PROFILE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Maidstone:
- WLED-TV (Channel 49; LITTLETON, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
- WVTB (Channel 20; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: VERMONT ETV, INC.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 4Number of bridges
- 8m26ftTotal length
- $1,091,000Total costs
- 370Total average daily traffic
- 7Total average daily truck traffic
- 555Total future (year 2027) average daily traffic
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (74%)
- Wood (21%)
- Utility gas (5%)
Maidstone compared to Vermont state average:
- Median household income significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.