Manitowish Waters, Wisconsin
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||58.1 years|
|Wisconsin median age:||42.6 years|
Zip codes: 54545.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $31,446 (it was $21,042 in 2000)
Manitowish Waters town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $407,059 (it was $243,200 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $288,410; Detached houses: $305,409; Townhouses or other attached units: $238,280; In 2-unit structures: $243,246; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $180,912; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $338,436; Mobile homes: $58,212
Races in Manitowish Waters, WI (2010)
- 55898.6%White alone
- 40.7%Two or more races
- 10.2%Black alone
- 10.2%American Indian alone
- 10.2%Other race alone
|looking to retire in eagle river or surrounding areas (34 replies)|
|Wife wants to move to Ashland, WI? (7 replies)|
|Wisconsin vs. Colorado (40 replies)|
|Best Rural/Country areas to live in (29 replies)|
|Most beautiful town in Wisconsin? (42 replies)|
|hello I'm from FRANCE and I like to have some inforamtion for my travel (24 replies)|
Latest news from Manitowish Waters, WI collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (42.6%), Polish (10.7%), Irish (9.9%), English (8.7%), French (6.5%), Swedish (6.3%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 1620 feet
Land area: 30.4 square miles.
Population density: 19 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Manitowish Waters:
- High school or higher: 89.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 23.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.4%
- Unemployed: 4.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 16.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Manitowish Waters town:
- Never married: 13.6%
- Now married: 70.6%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 7.8%
- Divorced: 8.0%
12 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Wisconsin and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Manitowish Waters, Wisconsin as of December 16, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Manitowish Waters to the number of sex offenders is 642 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Manitowish Waters town:||0.9% ($2,158)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Duluth, MN (117.4 miles , pop. 86,918).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: St. Paul, MN (177.4 miles , pop. 287,151).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (314.8 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Boulder Junction, WI (2.8 miles ), Presque Isle, WI (3.1 miles ), Lac du Flambeau, WI (3.2 miles ), Mercer, WI (3.6 miles ), Arbor Vitae, WI (3.8 miles ), Oma, WI (3.9 miles ), Plum Lake, WI (4.1 miles ), Sayner, WI (4.2 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2013: 8 buildings, average cost: $273,100
- 2014: 6 buildings, average cost: $262,500
Latitude: 46.12 N, Longitude: 89.85 W
Area code: 715
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (23%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers (6%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (4%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Food and beverage stores (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (22%)
- Public administration (12%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (9%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Health care (5%)
- Carpenters (11%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (10%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (10%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (8%)
- Top executives (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (12%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (12%)
- Cashiers (10%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
Average climate in Manitowish Waters, Wisconsin
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Manitowish Waters-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Wisconsin state average. It is 63% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/27/1984, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 17.1 miles away from the Manitowish Waters town center killed one person and injured 8 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 6/25/1950, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 39.3 miles away from the town center killed 2 people and injured 12 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Manitowish Waters-area historical earthquake activity is significantly below Wisconsin state average. It is 97% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 299.6 miles away from the city center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 325.5 miles away from Manitowish Waters center
On 6/5/1993 at 01:24:53, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 311.6 miles away from the city center
On 9/2/1999 at 16:17:29, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 304.7 miles away from the city center
On 10/20/1995 at 15:57:18, a magnitude 3.7 (3.7 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 337.9 miles away from Manitowish Waters center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 533.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Vilas County (4) is a lot smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 1
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 2, Storms: 2, Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
airports located in Manitowish Waters:
- Manitowish Waters Airport (D25) (Runways: 2, Air Taxi Ops: 200, Itinerant Ops: 3,000, Local Ops: 3,000)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Manitowish Waters:
- Northcentral Technical College (about 79 miles; Wausau, WI; Full-time enrollment: 3,356)
- Michigan Technological University (about 93 miles; Houghton, MI; FT enrollment: 6,078)
- Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College (about 103 miles; Shell Lake, WI; FT enrollment: 2,414)
- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (about 111 miles; Stevens Point, WI; FT enrollment: 9,089)
- University of Wisconsin-Superior (about 115 miles; Superior, WI; FT enrollment: 2,302)
- University of Minnesota-Duluth (about 118 miles; Duluth, MN; FT enrollment: 10,612)
- The College of Saint Scholastica (about 118 miles; Duluth, MN; FT enrollment: 3,762)
Public elementary/middle school in Manitowish Waters:
- NORTH LAKELAND ELEMENTARY (Students: 160, Location: 12686 COUNTY HIGHWAY K, Grades: PK-8)
Library in Manitowish Waters:
Notable locations in Manitowish Waters: Camp Jorn (A), Manitowish Waters Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Pier Lake (A), Rest Lake (B), Sherman Lake (C), Spider Lake (D), Alder Lake (E), Statehouse Lake (F), Stone Lake (G), Benson Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Rivers and creeks: Papoose Creek (A), Trout River (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 47.7. This is significantly better than average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2003 was 1.94. This is about average. Closest monitor was 10.5 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 34.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 3.6 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2005 was 11.0. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 10.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 5.34. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 10.5 miles away from the city center.
Lead (Pb) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 0.00227. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 10.5 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.0 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.7% of all households
Banks with branches in Manitowish Waters (2011 data):
- Citizens Bank: Manitowish Waters Branch at 135 Highway W, branch established on 1969/04/01. Info updated 2011/08/01: Bank assets: $9,212.3 mil, Deposits: $7,452.0 mil, headquarters in Flint, MI, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 220 total offices, Holding Company: Citizens Republic Bancorp, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Manitowish Waters town (based on Vilas County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Vilas County:||4.54 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vilas County:||0.45 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||0.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vilas County:||11.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||38.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.64 / 10,000 pop.|
6.02% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($48,375 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Oneida County, WI||1.04% ($27,250 average AGI)|
|from Waukesha County, WI||0.38% ($106,343)|
|from Milwaukee County, WI||0.30% ($40,143)|
5.57% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($44,043 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Manitowish Waters:
- WJMS (590 AM; 5 kW; IRONWOOD, MI; Owner: ROBERTS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WLKD (1570 AM; 5 kW; MINOCQUA, WI; Owner: RAVEN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WEBC (560 AM; 50 kW; DULUTH, MN)
- WSAU (550 AM; 20 kW; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: WRIG, INC.)
- WSPT (1010 AM; 50 kW; STEVENS POINT, WI)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WNAM (1280 AM; 50 kW; NEENAH-MENASHA, WI; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- KSTP (1500 AM; 50 kW; ST. PAUL, MN; Owner: KSTP-AM, LLC (DELAWARE))
- WTCM (580 AM; 35 kW; TRAVERSE CITY, MI; Owner: WTCM RADIO, INC.)
- KFAN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WERL (950 AM; 1 kW; EAGLE RIVER, WI)
Strongest FM radio stations in Manitowish Waters:
- WHBM-FM (90.3 FM; PARK FALLS, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- WMQA-FM (95.9 FM; MINOCQUA, WI; Owner: RAVEN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRJO (94.5 FM; EAGLE RIVER, WI; Owner: BERNER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WUPM (106.9 FM; IRONWOOD, MI; Owner: BIG G LITTLE O, INC.)
- WIMI (99.7 FM; IRONWOOD, MI; Owner: ROBERTS BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Manitowish Waters:
- WLEF-TV (Channel 36; PARK FALLS, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- WYOW (Channel 34; EAGLE RIVER, WI; Owner: WAOW-WYOW TELEVISION, INC.)
- W57AR (Channel 57; SAYNER/VILAS COUNTY, WI; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
- W31BA (Channel 31; MINOCQUA, WI; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WJFW-TV (Channel 12; RHINELANDER, WI; Owner: NORTHLAND TELEVISION, INC.)
- W02CF (Channel 2; MINOCQUA, WI; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 5Number of bridges
- 13m43ftTotal length
- $1,138,000Total costs
- 17,325Total average daily traffic
- 1,079Total average daily truck traffic
- 29,720Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Manitowish Waters)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- 133 County West (Lat: 46.139167 Lon: -89.885278), Call Sign: WQOG485
Assigned Frequencies: 467.212 MHz, 462.287 MHz, 467.287 MHz, 462.387 MHz, 467.387 MHzGrant Date: 09/20/2011, Expiration Date: 09/20/2021, Certifier: Kent PearsonRegistrant: Advanced Wireless Communication, 20809 Kensington Blvd, Lakeville, MN 55044-8353, Phone: (952) 469-0226, Fax: (952) 469-0170, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- MANITOWISH, 1.2 Mi Se (Lat: 46.123222 Lon: -89.870694), Type: Tower, Structure height: 36.9 m, Call Sign: WHB34
Assigned Frequencies: 2178.00 MHz, 2168.40 MHzGrant Date: 01/17/2001, Expiration Date: 02/01/2011, Cancellation Date: 02/11/2009, Certifier: Vicki SchultheisRegistrant: Centurytel, Inc., Vancouver, WA 98668, Phone: (360) 905-6839, Fax: (360) 905-5953, Email:
FCC Registered Paging Towers:1
- Hello Circle (Lat: 46.123333 Lon: -89.870278), Structure height: 29 m, Call Sign: KNKD729
Assigned Frequencies: 454.175 MHzGrant Date: 03/03/2009, Expiration Date: 04/01/2019, Certifier: Jeff SohnRegistrant: Lukas, Nace, Gutierrez & Sachs, LLP, 931 Shetland Ct, Mclean, VA 22120, Phone: (703) 584-8673, Fax: (703) 584-8696, Email:
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers:4
- Manitowish Waters Airport (Lat: 46.124944 Lon: -89.875167), Type: Building, Overall height: 5 m, Call Sign: KGW9
Assigned Frequencies: 122.800 MHzGrant Date: 07/15/2015, Expiration Date: 07/11/2025Registrant: Northway Communications Inc., 105 East Oak Street, Wausau, WI 54401, Phone: (715) 842-0841, Fax: (715) 848-1413, Email:
- Manitowish Waters Airport (Lat: 46.121944 Lon: -89.876111), Type: Building, Overall height: 4 m, Call Sign: KHQ7
Assigned Frequencies: 121.725 MHzGrant Date: 06/03/2015, Expiration Date: 04/11/2025Registrant: Town Of Manitowish Waters, 5733 Airport Road, Manitowish Waters, WI 54545, Phone: (715) 543-8400, Fax: (715) 543-8467, Email:
- Manitowish Waters Airport (Lat: 46.122722 Lon: -89.882667), Type: Tower, Call Sign: WRLB3332, Licensee ID: L00006910
Assigned Frequencies: 0.36400 MHzGrant Date: 11/01/2004, Expiration Date: 11/01/2014, Cancellation Date: 01/03/2015Registrant: Manitowish Waters, Town Of, Airport Rd, Manitowish Waters, WI 54545
- Manitowish Waters Airport (Lat: 46.120361 Lon: -89.880306), Type: Mast, Structure height: 9.1 m, Overall height: 11.3 m, Call Sign: WQOS434
Assigned Frequencies: 118.175 MHzGrant Date: 01/17/2012, Expiration Date: 01/17/2022, Certifier: Mary J StoutRegistrant: Vaisala Inc., 194 South Taylor Ave., Louisville, CO 80027, Phone: (303) 402-4741, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:4
- Call Sign: KB9OES, Licensee ID: L01148020, Grant Date: 05/04/2006, Expiration Date: 07/31/2016, Certifier: Kim K Kost, Registrant: Kim K Kost, 228 South Us Highway 51, Manitowish Waters, WI 54545
- Call Sign: N9QZY, Licensee ID: L00569308, Grant Date: 09/13/2002, Expiration Date: 09/15/2012, Cancellation Date: 09/16/2014, Registrant: Aldo Zanona, 505 Alder Circle, Manitowish Waters, WI 54545
- Call Sign: W9BNA, Grant Date: 01/29/1996, Expiration Date: 01/29/2006, Cancellation Date: 01/30/2008, Registrant: Edward M Gillespie, Rte 2 Box 71, Manitowish Waters, WI 54545
- Call Sign: KB9WCK, Licensee ID: L00227126, Grant Date: 02/02/2010, Expiration Date: 04/13/2020, Certifier: David B Kobylinski, Registrant: David B Kobylinski, 5249 U.S. Hwy 51, Manitowish Waters, WI 54545
FAA Registered Aircraft:8 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Manitowish Waters)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Manitowish Waters that have no violations reported:
- LITTLE BOHEMIA LODGE (Population served: 200, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- PEA PATCH SALOON (Population served: 100, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- RUSTIC ROADHAUS (Population served: 85, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- TRAILS END (Population served: 75, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- MANITOWISH WTRS COMM CH NEW WELL (Address: N49 HWY 51 , Population served: 50, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- OUR LADY QUEEN OF PEACE CHURCH (Population served: 50, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- VILLAGE MARKET (Population served: 30, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- SLEIGHTS WILDWOOD - NOKOMIS (Population served: 25, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- REST LAKE PARK (Population served: 25, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- MUSKY COUNTRY SPORT & OUTDOORS (Population served: 25, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
|Most common first names in Manitowish Waters, WI among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Manitowish Waters, WI among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (56%)
- Utility gas (29%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (8%)
- Electricity (4%)
- Wood (4%)
Businesses in Manitowish Waters, WI
- UPS: 1
- YMCA: 1
Manitowish Waters compared to Wisconsin state average:
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.