We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||34.7 years|
|Arkansas median age:||37.8 years|
Zip codes: 72360.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $11,509 (it was $10,253 in 2000)
Marianna city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $53,883 (it was $42,800 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $500.
Races in Marianna, AR (2010)
- 3,14276.4%Black alone
- 85420.8%White alone
- 501.2%Two or more races
- 320.8%Asian alone
- 80.2%American Indian alone
|Cell Phone coverage... (10 replies)|
|Life in Marianna (2 replies)|
|Arkansas Native 100% Agrees with My Neg Perceptions (54 replies)|
|What's your favorite town name in Arkansas? (107 replies)|
|Arkansas Top 10 (41 replies)|
|Ticks and Chiggars (37 replies)|
Latest news from Marianna, AR collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (8.7%), Irish (3.5%), German (3.1%), English (2.5%), Dutch (1.3%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 02/07/1878
Elevation: 228 feet
Land area: 3.60 square miles.
Population density: 1,100 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Marianna:
- High school or higher: 73.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 7.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.5%
- Unemployed: 18.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 21.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Marianna city:
- Never married: 39.4%
- Now married: 30.9%
- Separated: 4.4%
- Widowed: 9.5%
- Divorced: 15.8%
According to our research of Arkansas and other state lists there were 14 registered sex offenders living in Marianna, Arkansas as of August 04, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Marianna to the number of sex offenders is 290 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $376 (0.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $330 (0.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Memphis, TN (50.9 miles , pop. 650,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (372.1 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Haynes, AR (2.9 miles ), LaGrange, AR (2.9 miles) , Aubrey, AR (2.9 miles ), Rondo, AR (2.9 miles ), Lexa, AR (3.5 miles ), Moro, AR (3.6 miles ), Palestine, AR (4.0 miles ), Forrest City, AR (4.0 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 1 building, cost: $20,000
- 1998: 8 buildings, average cost: $68,700
- 1999: 13 buildings, average cost: $60,000
- 2000: 12 buildings, average cost: $60,000
- 2001: 12 buildings, average cost: $60,000
- 2002: 13 buildings, average cost: $60,000
- 2003: 14 buildings, average cost: $60,000
- 2004: 9 buildings, average cost: $107,900
- 2005: 5 buildings, average cost: $89,900
- 2006: 3 buildings, average cost: $67,000
- 2009: 3 buildings, average cost: $105,700
- 2010: 27 buildings, average cost: $85,000
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $50,900
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 34.77 N, Longitude: 90.77 W
Area code: 870
|Crime rates in Marianna by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 287.5)||364.3||533.4||472.7||479.7||348.2||480.1||402.2||227.7||302.5||372.8|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Marianna detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||4.96|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -918 (-15.1%).
- Administrative and support and waste management services (26%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (23%)
- Public administration (14%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Other services, except public administration (10%)
- Manufacturing (5%)
- Transportation and warehousing (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (29%)
- Public administration (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Finance and insurance (10%)
- Other services, except public administration (9%)
- Retail trade (9%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (22%)
- Production occupations (15%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (12%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (10%)
- Community and social service occupations (10%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (6%)
- Fire fighting and prevention, and other protective service workers including supervisors (5%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (25%)
- Sales and related occupations (18%)
- Healthcare support occupations (16%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (8%)
- Personal care and service occupations (7%)
- Production occupations (7%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (3%)
Average climate in Marianna, Arkansas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Marianna-area historical tornado activity is near Arkansas state average. It is 99% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 11/19/1970, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 4.9 miles away from the Marianna city center injured 27 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 3/21/1952, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 30.4 miles away from the city center killed 29 people and injured 180 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Marianna-area historical earthquake activity is near Arkansas state average. It is 75% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 64.6 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 134.7 miles away from Marianna center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 86.2 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 86.3 miles away from the city center
On 4/27/1989 at 16:47:49, a magnitude 4.7 (4.6 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.3 LG) earthquake occurred 102.1 miles away from Marianna center
On 3/25/1976 at 01:00:11, a magnitude 4.5 (4.1 MB, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 60.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Lee County (9) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 6, Floods: 4, Winter Storms: 3, Tornadoes: 2, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Carlos Hall - 2005 NFL player (Kansas City Chiefs, born: Jan 16, 1979), Rodney E. Slater - Secretary of Transportation, Floyd Jones - Chicago blues singer, Charlie Flowers - College football player, Kevin Campbell (baseball) - Baseball player, Minor Watson - Actor, Oscar Polk - Actor, Chuck Moore (American football) - Football player.
Hospitals and medical centers in Marianna:
Airports located in Marianna:
- Marianna/Lee County-Steve Edwards Field Airport (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 4,000, Local Ops: 21,000, Military Ops: 50)
- Frost Flying Inc Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Marianna:
- Coahoma Community College (about 38 miles; Clarksdale, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,284)
- Northwest Mississippi Community College (about 47 miles; Senatobia, MS; FT enrollment: 6,607)
- Southwest Tennessee Community College (about 49 miles; Memphis, TN; FT enrollment: 8,043)
- University of Memphis (about 51 miles; Memphis, TN; FT enrollment: 17,427)
- Rhodes College (about 52 miles; Memphis, TN; FT enrollment: 2,052)
- Harding University (about 64 miles; Searcy, AR; FT enrollment: 5,360)
- Arkansas State University-Beebe (about 68 miles; Beebe, AR; FT enrollment: 3,387)
Public high school in Marianna:
Private high schools in Marianna:
Public elementary/middle schools in Marianna:
Notable locations in Marianna: Marianna Industrial Park (A), Lee County Courthouse (B), Marianna City Hall (C), Pafford Emergency Medical Services (D), Lee County Sheriff's Office (E), Marianna Police Department (F), Lee County Volunteer Fire Department (G), Marianna Volunteer Fire Department (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Shopping Center: Plaza Shopping Center (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Marianna include: Paradise Missionary Baptist Church (A), First Christian (B), First United Pentecostal Church (C), Saint Luke African Methodist Episcopal Church (D), Marianna Second Baptist Church (E), Marianna Church of Christ (F), First United Methodist Church of Marianna (G), Marianna Missionary Baptist Church (H), Saint Andrews Catholic Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Marianna Memorial Park Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Parks in Marianna include: Atkins Park (1), Court Square (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotels: Walnut Court Motel (219 Forest), Sands Motel (294 Highway 79).
Court: Lee County - Circuit Court Judge (15 East Chestnut Street).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2011 was 52.2. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2011 was 10.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 19.7 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Marianna and their reported violations in the past:LEE COUNTY WATER ASSOCIATION (Population served: 5,020, Purch groundwater):
Past health violations:
- MCL, Acute (TCR) - In JAN-2009, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (MAR-12-2009), St Public Notif received (APR-08-2009), St Compliance achieved (OCT-06-2009)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In NOV-2008, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JAN-09-2009), St Public Notif received (FEB-02-2009), St Compliance achieved (OCT-06-2009)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Marianna that have no violations reported:
- MARIANNA WATERWORKS (Population served: 4,115, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
(15.5% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 46.3% for Black residents, 100.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
|This city:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
People in group quarters in Marianna in 2010:
- 55 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 7 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
- 4 people in group homes for juveniles (non-correctional)
People in group quarters in Marianna in 2000:
- 77 people in nursing homes
- 32 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 11 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
Marianna compared to Arkansas state average:
- Median household income significantly below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Marianna (2011 data):
- First National Bank of Eastern Arkansas: Marianna Branch at 48 South Poplar Street, branch established on 1942/01/30. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $355.0 mil, Deposits: $314.3 mil, headquarters in Forrest City, AR, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 14 total offices, Holding Company: Bancshares Of Eastern Arkansas, Inc.
- The Farmers & Merchants Bank: Marianna Branch at 33 West Main Street, branch established on 1934/04/09. Info updated 2009/06/18: Bank assets: $622.6 mil, Deposits: $490.8 mil, headquarters in Stuttgart, AR, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 14 total offices, Holding Company: Farmers And Merchants Bankshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (50%)
- Utility gas (45%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (4%)
- Wood (0%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Marianna city (based on Lee County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Lee County:||0.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|Arkansas:||2.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||2.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.66 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2013)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||3||$10,824||$43,296||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||10||$36,753||$44,104||0||$0|
|Police - Other||2||$4,412||$26,472||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||10||$22,845||$27,414||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||9||$22,497||$29,996||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||2||$5,394||$32,364||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||1||$2,382||$28,584||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||49||$142,048||$34,787||35||$20,409|
6.71% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($22,373 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from St. Francis County, AR||0.99% ($22,962 average AGI)|
|from Pulaski County, AR||0.83% ($19,500)|
|from Phillips County, AR||0.53% ($20,786)|
7.66% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($22,961 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Marianna:
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- KXJK (950 AM; 5 kW; FORREST CITY, AR; Owner: FORREST CITY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMQM (1600 AM; 50 kW; LAKELAND, TN; Owner: WMQM, INC.)
- KGHT (880 AM; 50 kW; SHERIDAN, AR; Owner: METROPOLITAN RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- KAAY (1090 AM; 50 kW; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WJCE (680 AM; 10 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: ENTERCOM MEMPHIS LICENSE, LLC)
- WCPC (940 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: WCPC BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KWAM (990 AM; 10 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CONCORD MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WHBQ (560 AM; 5 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WREC (600 AM; 5 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPLX (1170 AM; 10 kW; GERMANTOWN, TN; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Marianna:
- KAKJ (105.3 FM; MARIANNA, AR; Owner: L.T. SIMES II & RAYMOND SIMES)
- KBFC (93.5 FM; FORREST CITY, AR; Owner: FORREST CITY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KARH (88.1 FM; FORREST CITY, AR; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- KVRN (90.7 FM; MARVELL, AR; Owner: EAST ARKANSAS EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- KFFA-FM (103.1 FM; HELENA, AR; Owner: DELTA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KTRQ (102.3 FM; COLT, AR; Owner: EAST ARKANSAS BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- KJIW-FM (94.5 FM; HELENA, AR; Owner: ELIJAH MONDY,JR.)
- K204CK (91.5 FM; FORREST CITY, AR; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- K234AB (94.7 FM; FORREST CITY, AR; Owner: LITTLE ROCK SCHOOL DIST., UNV OF ARK)
- KCLT (104.9 FM; WEST HELENA, AR; Owner: WEST HELENA B/CASTERS)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 3Number of bridges
- 25m82ftTotal length
- $20,000Total costs
- 4,140Total average daily traffic
- 537Total average daily truck traffic
- 4,709Total future (year 2020) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Marianna)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:24 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Marianna, AR)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:3
- LEE COUNTY, Lee Road (Lat: 34.677444 Lon: -90.766722), Type: Tower, Structure height: 60.8 m, Call Sign: WQNG970
Assigned Frequencies: 11215.0 MHz, 11215.0 MHz, 11215.0 MHz, 11215.0 MHz
Grant Date: 02/03/2011, Expiration Date: 02/03/2021, Certifier: Connie Lyles
Registrant: Doubleradius, 2022 Van Buren Ave, Indian Trail, NC 28079, Phone: (704) 927-6100, Email:
- MARIANNA, 4 Mi Se Of (Lat: 34.721194 Lon: -90.723972), Overall height: 55.2 m, Call Sign: KLN71
Assigned Frequencies: 3730.00 MHz, 3730.00 MHz, 3750.00 MHz, 3750.00 MHz, 3810.00 MHz, 3810.00 MHz, 3830.00 MHz, 3830.00 MHz, 3890.00 MHz, 3890.00 MHz... (+12 more)
Grant Date: 01/16/1990, Expiration Date: 02/01/2000, Cancellation Date: 01/28/1998
Registrant: At&t Corp, 1200 Peachtree St 15w24, Atlanta, GA 30309
- STATION, 100 Ft W Of Alabama St Between Walnut & Chestnut Sts (Lat: 34.776194 Lon: -90.767333), Overall height: 61 m, Call Sign: WHH805
Assigned Frequencies: 2184.80 MHz, 2191.20 MHz
Grant Date: 10/02/2002, Expiration Date: 12/11/2012, Cancellation Date: 02/24/2004
Registrant: Union Pacific Railroad Company, 201 S 16th St Suite 305, Omaha, NE 68179, Phone: (402) 280-7777, Fax: (402) 280-6565, Email:
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers:1
- Marianna Lee County Airport (Lat: 34.768972 Lon: -90.801778), Type: Building, Overall height: 6 m, Call Sign: KSF9
Assigned Frequencies: 122.800 MHz
Grant Date: 09/28/1998, Expiration Date: 09/28/2003, Cancellation Date: 11/30/2003
Registrant: City Of Marianna, Hwy W, Marianna, AR 72360
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:4
- Call Sign: KD5EWJ, Licensee ID: L01404302
Grant Date: 05/30/2008, Expiration Date: 07/28/2018, Certifier: Doddridge M Daggett
Registrant: Doddridge M Daggett, Marianna, AR 72360
- Call Sign: WB5SVI
Grant Date: 01/31/1989, Expiration Date: 01/31/1999, Cancellation Date: 02/01/2001
Registrant: Harold L Baker, Marianna, AR 72360
- Call Sign: KD5UTK, Licensee ID: L00611454
Grant Date: 12/18/2012, Expiration Date: 01/06/2023, Certifier: Frank M Brent Iii
Registrant: Frank M Brent Iii, 114 Lee County Road 414, Marianna, AR 72360
- Call Sign: KD5YFP, Licensee ID: L00707311
Grant Date: 06/26/2003, Expiration Date: 06/26/2013, Certifier: Cinda Brent
Registrant: Cinda Brent, 114 Lee County Rd 414, Marianna, AR 72360
FAA Registered Aircraft Manufacturers and Dealers:2 (See the full list of FAA Registered Manufacturers and Dealers in Marianna)
FAA Registered Aircraft:21 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 107
- Hazardous Condition: 4
Incident types - Marianna
|Most common first names in Marianna, AR among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Marianna, AR among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Marianna, AR|
|Ace Hardware||1||SONIC Drive-In||1|
Marianna on our top lists:
- #12 on the list of "Top 100 cities with declining populations from 2000 to 2008 (pop. 5,000+)"
- #27 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations"
- #36 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Therapists"
- #39 on the list of "Top 100 cities with the largest percentage of females (pop. 5,000+)"
- #69 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest number of burglaries in 2006 per 10,000 residents, excludes tourist destinations and others with a lot of outsiders visiting based on city industries data"
- #100 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest number of murders in 2006 per 10,000 residents, excludes tourist destinations and others with a lot of outsiders visiting based on city industries data"
- #24 (72360) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of African first ancestries"
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2015.