Marlin: Windows on the srcond story of ols historic building on Live Oak Street in the business district of Marlin.
Marlin: Boss Hogs BBQ
Marlin: H.E.B grocery store in Marlin, Texas
Marlin: Mineral Water Fountain Located At The Chamber Of Commerce
Marlin: Allen House located in Marlin
Marlin: Detail of mural on building near railroad tracks
Marlin: Sway-backed house located in Marlin
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||39.8 years|
|Texas median age:||34.4 years|
Zip codes: 76661.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $13,967 (it was $13,555 in 2000)
Marlin city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $54,765 (it was $37,300 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2015: $570.
Races in Marlin, TX (2010)
- 2,68545.0%Black alone
- 1,78129.8%White alone
- 420.7%Two or more races
- 230.4%Asian alone
- 90.2%American Indian alone
- 70.1%Other race alone
- 50.08%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
|Waco, Texas future (82 replies)|
|Best and Worst City in Texas to Live in ? (316 replies)|
|Laid back beach bars in Corpus Christi? (7 replies)|
|Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II (4635 replies)|
|Teaching / Living in Waco area (9 replies)|
|Texas Music Thread (199 replies)|
Latest news from Marlin, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: American (7.5%), German (3.4%), Irish (3.3%), English (2.7%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 4.52 square miles.
Population density: 1,269 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Marlin:
- High school or higher: 66.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.1%
- Unemployed: 11.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Marlin city:
- Never married: 39.2%
- Now married: 34.2%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 12.3%
- Divorced: 12.4%
798 residents are foreign born (12.8% Latin America).
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 29 registered sex offenders living in Marlin, Texas as of May 23, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Marlin to the number of sex offenders is 203 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $1,319 (2.4%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $960 (2.2%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Waco, TX (22.9 miles , pop. 113,726).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Austin, TX (86.2 miles , pop. 656,562).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (103.4 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Reagan, TX (3.1 miles ), Perry, TX (3.1 miles ), Lott, TX (3.3 miles ), Riesel, TX (3.4 miles ), Golinda, TX (3.4 miles ), Chilton, TX (3.7 miles ), Kosse, TX (3.9 miles ), Bremond, TX (4.0 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 8 buildings, average cost: $42,000
- 1998: 8 buildings, average cost: $42,000
- 1999: 9 buildings, average cost: $42,000
- 2000: 8 buildings, average cost: $42,000
- 2001: 8 buildings, average cost: $85,700
- 2002: 10 buildings, average cost: $66,700
- 2003: 11 buildings, average cost: $66,700
- 2004: 8 buildings, average cost: $70,700
- 2005: 8 buildings, average cost: $69,700
- 2006: 3 buildings, average cost: $85,100
- 2007: 1 building, cost: $69,700
- 2009: 2 buildings, average cost: $57,800
- 2010: 3 buildings, average cost: $85,300
- 2011: 2 buildings, average cost: $61,500
- 2012: 4 buildings, average cost: $45,000
- 2013: 6 buildings, average cost: $46,700
- 2014: 3 buildings, average cost: $56,700
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 31.31 N, Longitude: 96.89 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: -132 (-2.2%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 741 (40.9%)
Area code: 254
|Crime rates in Marlin by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 286.7)||504.3||230.4||188.4||264.0||271.0||217.0||243.9||139.3||203.8||212.0||135.4||168.2||125.5||176.5||158.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Marlin detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.76|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +139 (+2.1%).
- Construction (28%)
- Manufacturing (14%)
- Accommodation and food services (12%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (8%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (28%)
- Retail trade (17%)
- Public administration (16%)
- Manufacturing (11%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (22%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (12%)
- Material moving occupations (9%)
- Transportation occupations (8%)
- Management occupations (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Production occupations (7%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (15%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (11%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (10%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (9%)
- Production occupations (8%)
- Healthcare support occupations (8%)
- Personal care and service occupations (7%)
Average climate in Marlin, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Marlin-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Texas state average. It is 60% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/11/1953, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 22.6 miles away from the Marlin city center killed 114 people and injured 597 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 3/10/1973, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 15.8 miles away from the city center killed 6 people and injured 77 people.
Earthquake activity:Marlin-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Texas state average. It is 81% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 256.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi) earthquake occurred 391.1 miles away from Marlin center
On 4/9/1993 at 12:29:19, a magnitude 4.3 (4.1 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 187.8 miles away from the city center
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 233.4 miles away from the city center
On 1/2/1992 at 11:45:35, a magnitude 5.0 (4.6 MB, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 371.6 miles away from Marlin center
On 4/7/2008 at 09:51:12, a magnitude 3.9 (3.9 MB, 3.9 MW, 3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 178.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Falls County (8) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 3, Hurricanes: 3, Floods: 2, Storms: 2 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Danario Alexander - Football player, Peggy Little - Female singer, Bruce Curry - (born 1956), world champion boxer, Conway Baker - Football player, Coryell Judie - College Football player, Fred Washington - Football player, Matterral Richardson - Player of football, Pierce Holt - Football player, Lenoy Jones - Football player.
Hospitals and medical centers in Marlin:
- FALLS COMMUNITY HOSPITAL AND CLINIC (Voluntary non-profit - Private, provides emergency services, 322 COLEMAN STREET)
- FOSTER GROUP HOME (711 FOSTER ST)
- ROBERT E LEE GROUP HOME (1606 ROBERT E LEE DRIVE)
- ELMWOOD NURSING CENTER (221 VIRGINIA AVE)
- GOLDEN YEARS NURSING AND REHABILITATION CENTER (318 CHAMBERS)
- GOLDEN YEARS REST HOME (318 CHAMBERS)
- FALLS COUNTY KIDNEY CENTER (602 HWY 6 SOUTH)
- TEXAS QUALITY HOME HEALTH (125 HERITAGE ROW)
airports located in Marlin:
- Marlin Airport (T15) (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 300, Military Ops: 50)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Marlin:
- Baylor University (about 22 miles; Waco, TX; Full-time enrollment: 14,800)
- Texas State Technical College-Waco (about 26 miles; Waco, TX; FT enrollment: 4,210)
- McLennan Community College (about 26 miles; Waco, TX; FT enrollment: 6,673)
- Temple College (about 32 miles; Temple, TX; FT enrollment: 3,796)
- University of Mary Hardin-Baylor (about 38 miles; Belton, TX; FT enrollment: 2,885)
- Hill College (about 51 miles; Hillsboro, TX; FT enrollment: 2,968)
- Central Texas College (about 56 miles; Killeen, TX; FT enrollment: 15,911)
Public high schools in Marlin:
- MARLIN H S (Students: 225, Location: 1400 CAPPS ST, Grades: 9-12)
- ROSEBUD-LOTT LEARNING CENTER (Location: 213 GREEN ST, Grades: 9-12)
- ROSEBUD-LOTT DAEP (Location: 213 GREEN ST, Grades: 9-10)
Public elementary/middle schools in Marlin:
User submitted facts and corrections:
- 1. A new public library was completed in 2006. It is now on Capps Street. 2. St. John's Episcopal Church no longer has the school as listed. I've lived next door to the church for 3 years, and it was closed quite awhile before I moved in. added by Dee
Notable locations in Marlin: Highlands Mansion (A), Marlin Volunteer Fire Department (B), Marlin Fire Department Station 1 (C), Marlin Fire Department Station 2 (D), Falls County Emergency Medical Services (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Marlin include: Church Saint Pauls (A), First Presbyterian Church (B), Pentecostal Bibleway Holiness Church (C), Davis Chapel United Methodist Church (D), Grace Lutheran Church (E), Power House Church of God in Christ (F), Bernard Steet Church of Christ (G), Saint Josephs Catholic Church (H), Saint Pauls Baptist Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Evergreen Cemetery (1), Calvary Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: Oil Mill Lake (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Park in Marlin: Marlin City Park (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attraction: Falls County Historical Museum (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 145 Heritage Row).
Hotel: Budget Inn (210 Fortune Street).
Court: Marlin City - Municipal Court (City Hall).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2002 was 55.4. This is better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 10.5. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.4 miles away from the city center.
(20.6% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 38.2% for Black residents, 44.9% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 44.2% for other race residents)
|This city:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
People in group quarters in Marlin in 2010:
- 590 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
- 93 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 15 people in group homes intended for adults
People in group quarters in Marlin in 2000:
- 411 people in short-term care, detention or diagnostic centers for delinquent children
- 208 people in nursing homes
- 16 people in mental (psychiatric) hospitals or wards
- 13 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 11 people in homes for the mentally ill
Banks with branches in Marlin (2011 data):
- First State Bank Central Texas: Live Oak Branch at 164 Live Oak Street, branch established on 1934/04/20. Info updated 2010/06/14: Bank assets: $1,112.8 mil, Deposits: $884.8 mil, headquarters in Austin, TX, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 31 total offices, Holding Company: Central Community Corporation
- Compass Bank: Marlin Branch at 504 Live Oak Street, branch established on 2009/08/22. Info updated 2011/02/24: Bank assets: $63,107.0 mil, Deposits: $46,232.4 mil, headquarters in Birmingham, AL, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 720 total offices, Holding Company: Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, S.A.
- Citizens State Bank: Marlin Branch at 101 Live Oak Street, branch established on 1909/09/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $129.1 mil, Deposits: $110.5 mil, headquarters in Woodville, TX, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Ram Security Holdings Gp, Inc.
- Texas Star Bank, SSB: Marlin Branch at 119 Craik Street, branch established on 1989/05/12. Info updated 2009/11/16: Bank assets: $76.0 mil, Deposits: $61.9 mil, headquarters in Lott, TX, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Southern Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Marlin city (based on Falls County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Falls County:||1.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Falls County:||1.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Falls County:||5.90 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.90 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Marlin, TX Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||2||$12,673||$76,038||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||2||$4,783||$28,698||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||18||$57,169||$38,113||0||$0|
|Police - Other||9||$24,452||$32,603||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||8||$19,160||$28,740||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||1||$1,839||$22,068||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||1||$4,716||$56,592||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||78||$240,689||$37,029||0||$0|
6.73% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,276 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from McLennan County, TX||2.26% ($26,596 average AGI)|
|from Bell County, TX||0.79% ($36,975)|
|from Harris County, TX||0.26% ($15,769)|
6.31% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,489 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Marlin:
- KBBW (1010 AM; 10 kW; WACO-MARLIN, TX; Owner: AMERICAN BROADCASTING OF TEXAS)
- KRZI (1580 AM; 10 kW; WACO, TX; Owner: VAN D. GOODALL, JR.)
- KRZX (1660 AM; 10 kW; WACO, TX; Owner: VAN D. GOODALL, JR.)
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- KESS (1270 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: KESS-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- KRLD (1080 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: TEXAS INFINITY BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KAHZ (1360 AM; 50 kW; HURST, TX)
- KFXR (1190 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KZMP (1540 AM; 50 kW; UNIVERSITY PARK, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KTRH (740 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, TX; Owner: AMFM TEXAS LICENSES LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KSKY (660 AM; 20 kW; BALCH SPRINGS, TX; Owner: BISON MEDIA, INC.)
- KZNE (1150 AM; 10 kW; COLLEGE STATION, TX; Owner: BRYAN BROADCASTING LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, INC.)
- KGOL (1180 AM; 50 kW; HUMBLE, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Marlin:
- WACO-FM (99.9 FM; WACO, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KWTX-FM (97.5 FM; WACO, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KBGO (95.7 FM; WACO, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KWBU-FM (103.3 FM; WACO, TX; Owner: BRAZOS VALLEY PUBLIC BROADCASTING FOUNDATION)
- KLRK (92.9 FM; MARLIN, TX; Owner: VAN D. GOODALL, JR.)
- KXCS (103.9 FM; CAMERON, TX; Owner: EQUICOM, INC)
- KBCT (94.5 FM; WACO, TX; Owner: KENNELWOOD BCST/G COMPANY, INC.)
- KBDE (89.9 FM; TEMPLE, TX; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
TV broadcast stations around Marlin:
- KCEN-TV (Channel 6; TEMPLE, TX; Owner: CHANNEL 6, INC.)
- KXXV (Channel 25; WACO, TX; Owner: CENTEX TELEVISION LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KWKT (Channel 44; WACO, TX; Owner: COMCORP OF TEXAS LICENSE CORP.)
- KWTX-TV (Channel 10; WACO, TX; Owner: KWTX-KBTX LICENSEE CORP.)
- KWBU-TV (Channel 34; WACO, TX; Owner: BRAZOS VALLEY PUBLIC BROADCASTING FOUNDATION)
- KYLE (Channel 28; BRYAN, TX; Owner: COMCORP OF BRYAN LICENSE CORP.)
- K38FN (Channel 38; WACO, TX; Owner: NATIONAL MINORITY T.V., INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 10Number of bridges
- 48m157ftTotal length
- $1,708,000Total costs
- 31,100Total average daily traffic
- 5,842Total average daily truck traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:4 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Marlin)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:87 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Marlin, TX)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:7 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:19 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Marlin)
FAA Registered Aircraft:4
- Aircraft: CESSNA 182A (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 119 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR O-470 SERIES (230 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 2175G , Serial Number: 51475, Year manufactured: 1958, Airworthiness Date: 09/26/1958
Registrant (Individual): John T Stem, 108 Bridge St, Marlin, TX 76661
- Aircraft: BEECH S35 (Category: Land, Seats: 6, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 150 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR IO 520 SERIES (285 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 478T , Serial Number: D-7649, Year manufactured: 1964, Airworthiness Date: 10/06/1964
Registrant (Individual): Theresa A Foster, 404 County Road 252, Marlin, TX 76661
- Aircraft: AERONCA 7AC (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 90 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR C85 SERIES (85 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 81498 , Serial Number: 7AC112, Year manufactured: 1945
Registrant (Individual): T C Arledge, Box 475, Marlin, TX 76661
- Aircraft: PIPER J3C-65 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 67 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR A&C65 SERIES (65 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 88552 , Serial Number: 16177, Year manufactured: 1946
Registrant (Individual): Harry Jr Rogers, Po Box 65, Marlin, TX 76661
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 53
- Hazardous Condition: 47
- Service Call: 3
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Marlin
|Most common first names in Marlin, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Marlin, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (54%)
- Electricity (44%)
- No fuel used (1%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
|Businesses in Marlin, TX|
|Ace Hardware||1||H&R Block||1|
|Church's Chicken||1||SONIC Drive-In||1|
Marlin compared to Texas state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Marlin on our top lists:
- #2 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Law enforcement workers including supervisors (population 5,000+)"
- #4 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in short-term care, detention or diagnostic centers for delinquent children (population 1,000+)"
- #14 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Healthcare support occupations (population 5,000+)"
- #44 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the lowest cost per building permit(population 5,000+)"
- #47 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Law enforcement workers including supervisors (population 5,000+)"
- #48 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest house values disparities (population 5,000+)"
- #52 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest household incomes disparities (population 5,000+)"
- #88 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in industries: Construction (population 5,000+)"
- #92 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in industries: Health care and social assistance (population 5,000+)"
- #92 (76661) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the lowest 2012 average reported profit/loss from business (pop 5,000+)"
Total of 5 patent applications in 2008-2017.