Martin: Pacer Pond on The University of Tennessee at Martin campus
Martin: UT Martin welcome sign
Martin: Old Varsity Theater
Martin: Downtown Martin
Martin: The main road that goes in front of UTM campus.
Martin: Across Main Street
Martin: Downtown Martin Tennessee
Martin: Adam's Chapel
Martin: The basketball gym at University of Tennessee-Martin.
Martin: A patch of countryside off of 45S near Martin, TN.
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||25.0 years|
|Tennessee median age:||38.5 years|
Zip codes: 38237.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $18,370 (it was $15,184 in 2000)
Martin city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $122,863 (it was $78,700 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $126,584; Detached houses: $134,991; Townhouses or other attached units: $150,825; In 2-unit structures: $60,475; Mobile homes: $57,729; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $17,694
Median gross rent in 2013: $576.
Races in Martin, TN (2013)
- 8,85776.8%White alone
- 2,28419.8%Black alone
- 970.8%Two or more races
- 460.4%American Indian alone
- 260.2%Asian alone
|Rolls Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin coming to Brentwood (3 replies)|
|Arts in Johnson City and weather? (54 replies)|
|How are taxes in TN vs FL? Anyone move from FL? (32 replies)|
|Lockheed Martin (1 reply)|
|Moving from IL suburb to Nashville suburb (35 replies)|
|Travel&Leisure: Nashville #1 in US for BBQ (36 replies)|
Latest news from Martin, TN collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (20.3%), Irish (12.0%), German (10.7%), English (8.8%), French (2.4%), Scottish (1.7%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1901
Elevation: 413 feet
Land area: 12.4 square miles.
Population density: 917 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Martin:
- High school or higher: 87.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 30.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 10.7%
- Unemployed: 7.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 15.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Martin city:
- Never married: 52.1%
- Now married: 34.3%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 4.3%
- Divorced: 7.4%
280 residents are foreign born (3.8% Asia, 0.6% Africa, 0.4% North America, 0.3% Latin America).
According to our research of Tennessee and other state lists there were 26 registered sex offenders living in Martin, Tennessee as of September 03, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Martin to the number of sex offenders is 439 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $861 (0.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $912 (1.0%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Jackson, TN (49.0 miles , pop. 59,643).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Memphis, TN (105.5 miles , pop. 650,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (385.5 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Sharon, TN (2.8 miles ), Dresden, TN (3.1 miles ), South Fulton, TN (3.3 miles ), Rives, TN (3.3 miles ), Chestnut Glade-Dukedom, TN (3.4 miles ), Fulton, KY (3.4 miles ), Union City, TN (3.5 miles ), Greenfield, TN (3.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 24 buildings, average cost: $91,600
- 1998: 24 buildings, average cost: $91,400
- 1999: 23 buildings, average cost: $91,500
- 2000: 21 buildings, average cost: $91,500
- 2001: 21 buildings, average cost: $91,500
- 2002: 48 buildings, average cost: $77,900
- 2003: 47 buildings, average cost: $79,600
- 2004: 48 buildings, average cost: $101,000
- 2005: 54 buildings, average cost: $95,900
- 2006: 49 buildings, average cost: $97,300
- 2007: 37 buildings, average cost: $96,800
- 2008: 24 buildings, average cost: $97,000
- 2009: 17 buildings, average cost: $96,900
- 2010: 15 buildings, average cost: $96,900
- 2011: 12 buildings, average cost: $96,900
- 2012: 15 buildings, average cost: $96,900
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 36.34 N, Longitude: 88.85 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +2,205 (+19.3%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 2,906 (64.6%)
Area code: 731
|Crime rates in Martin by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 294.7)||240.9||208.6||237.1||216.6||225.1||235.3||292.7||335.3||281.3||294.5||227.5||194.0||173.7|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Martin detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.46|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +871 (+9.0%).
- Educational services (21%)
- Manufacturing (16%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (7%)
- Construction (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (25%)
- Educational services (22%)
- Retail trade (14%)
- Manufacturing (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Other services, except public administration (9%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (3%)
- Production occupations (12%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (12%)
- Sales and related occupations (10%)
- Management occupations (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Transportation occupations (6%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (6%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (16%)
- Sales and related occupations (15%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (11%)
- Personal care and service occupations (8%)
- Healthcare support occupations (8%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (7%)
- Management occupations (6%)
Average climate in Martin, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Martin-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Tennessee state average. It is 89% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/1/1997, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 15.6 miles away from the Martin city center caused $100,000 in damages.
On 5/7/1971, a category F4 tornado 19.2 miles away from the city center killed 3 people and injured 137 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Martin-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Tennessee state average. It is 73% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 56.2 miles away from the city center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 68.5 miles away from Martin center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 155.3 miles away from the city center
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG) earthquake occurred 95.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/27/1989 at 16:47:49, a magnitude 4.7 (4.6 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.3 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 56.2 miles away from Martin center
On 9/29/1987 at 00:04:56, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 41.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Weakley County (7) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 5, Storms: 4, Tornadoes: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Flash Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Chad Clifton - 2005 NFL player (Green Bay Packers, born: Jun 26, 1976), Floyd Burdette - College basketball coach, Hayden White - Historian, Billy Hodges - Male singer, Jason Black - College basketball player (Samford Bulldogs), Paul Fitts - Psychologist.
Hospitals and medical centers in Martin:
- BEHAVIOR HEALTHCARE CENTER AT MARTIN ("458 HANNINGS LANE, P O BOX 1006")
- UNIVERSITY HOME HEALTH AND HOSPICE (135 KENNEDY DRIVE)
- VOLUNTEER COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (Proprietary, 161 MOUNT PELIA RD)
- RCG MARTIN (113 E.C. THURMAN COVE)
- CAREALL (135 KENNEDY DRIVE)
- COLUMBIA HOMECARE OF NORTHWEST TN (215 HAWKS RD BLDG 1 DOOR 108)
- HEALTHSOUTH CANE CREEK REHAB CENTER (180 MT PELIA RD)
- MARTIN HEALTH CARE (158 MT PELIA RD)
- VAN AYER MANOR (460 HANNINGS LANE)
- VAN AYER MANOR NURSING CENTER (640 HANNINGS LANE)
College/University in Martin:
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Martin:
- Bethel University (about 24 miles; McKenzie, TN; Full-time enrollment: 5,878)
- Murray State University (about 35 miles; Murray, KY; FT enrollment: 8,930)
- Dyersburg State Community College (about 37 miles; Dyersburg, TN; FT enrollment: 2,211)
- Union University (about 46 miles; Jackson, TN; FT enrollment: 4,051)
- Jackson State Community College (about 49 miles; Jackson, TN; FT enrollment: 2,958)
- West Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 51 miles; Paducah, KY; FT enrollment: 4,107)
- Southeast Missouri State University (about 78 miles; Cape Girardeau, MO; FT enrollment: 9,678)
Public high school in Martin:
- Westview High School (Students: 719; Location: 8161 Highway 45; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Martin:
Private elementary/middle school in Martin:
User submitted facts and corrections:
- WLJT-TV is the area PBS station and is located on the campus of the University of Tennessee at Martin. added by Miss Mellie
- pat head summitt played college ball at utm
Notable locations in Martin: Martin Industrial Park (A), University Center (B), Jim McCord Residence Hall (C), Hall-Moody Administration Building (D), G-H Residence Hall (E), Frank Clement Residence Hall (F), Cooper Hall (G), Cecil M and Boyce Gooch Hall (H), Buford Ellington Residence Hall (I), Browning Hall (J), Brehm Hall (K), Austin Peay Residence Hall (L), Atrium Residence Hall (M), Andy Holt Humanities Building (N), HealthSouth Cane Creek Rehabilitation Hospital (O), Martin Fire Department (P), C E Weldon Library (Q), Paul Meek Library (R), Martin City Hall (S), Martin Fire Department Station 2 (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Martin include: Central Baptist Church (A), Eastside Baptist Church (B), Martin Church of Christ (C), Miles Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Williams Cemetery (1), Memorial Gardens Cemetery (2), Dibrell Cemetery (3), Williams Cemetery (4), Yellow Fever Cemetery (5), Lynch Cemetery (6), Parham Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: W F Baker Lake (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Parks in Martin include: Virginia Weldon Park (1), Rotary Field (2), Pacer Stadium (3), Harmon Field (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotels: Days Inn (800 University Street), Econo Lodge Martin (853 University Street), Days Inn Martin Tn (800 University Street), Econo Lodge of Martin (853 University Street), Eagle Inn (500 N Lindell St).
Drinking water stations with addresses in Martin that have no violations reported:
- MARTIN WATER DEPT (Population served: 11,473, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
(26.8% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 47.1% for Black residents, 36.3% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 41.8% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
People in group quarters in Martin in 2010:
- 1,781 people in college/university student housing
- 196 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 17 people in group homes intended for adults
- 8 people in residential treatment centers for adults
People in group quarters in Martin in 2000:
- 1,877 people in college dormitories (includes college quarters off campus)
- 244 people in nursing homes
- 35 people in short-term care, detention or diagnostic centers for delinquent children
- 19 people in homes for the mentally ill
- 13 people in homes for the mentally retarded
- 7 people in other group homes
Martin compared to Tennessee state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- Number of college students significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Banks with branches in Martin (2011 data):
- First State Bank: Martin Branch at 106 University Street, branch established on 2003/01/27; University Plaza Drive Branch at 126 University Plaza Drive, branch established on 1988/08/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $1,646.2 mil, Deposits: $1,393.0 mil, headquarters in Union City, TN, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 32 total offices, Holding Company: Community First Bancshares, Inc.
- Regions Bank: Martin Branch at 242 Lindell Street, branch established on 1886/01/01; Martin Branch at 844 University Street, branch established on 1991/01/28. Info updated 2011/02/24: Bank assets: $123,368.2 mil, Deposits: $98,301.3 mil, headquarters in Birmingham, AL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 1778 total offices, Holding Company: Regions Financial Corporation
- First Citizens National Bank: Martin Branch at 200 University Street, branch established on 2002/04/22. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $1,053.2 mil, Deposits: $856.0 mil, headquarters in Dyersburg, TN, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 19 total offices, Holding Company: First Citizens Bancshares, Inc.
- Reelfoot Bank: Martin Branch at 408 North Lindell, branch established on 1983/10/24. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $151.8 mil, Deposits: $135.4 mil, headquarters in Union City, TN, positive income, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Reelfoot Bancshares, Inc.
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Martin, Tennessee:
- Econo Lodge/martin Econo Inc, 853 University St, Martin, TN 38237 , Phone: (731) 587-4241
- Days Inn, 800 University St, Martin, TN 38237 , Phone: (731) 587-9577, Fax: (731) 587-9578
- Hampton Inn, 5575 Skyhawk Pkwy, Martin, TN 38237 , Phone: (731) 587-5800, Fax: (731) 587-0533
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (66%)
- Utility gas (33%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Martin city (based on Weakley County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Weakley County:||1.51 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.30 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|Weakley County:||5.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.63 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||4||$18,084||$54,252||7||$3,250|
|Police Protection - Officers||29||$101,038||$41,809||0||$0|
|Police - Other||9||$23,767||$31,689||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||13||$28,939||$26,713||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||8||$22,182||$33,273||15||$4,674|
|Other and Unallocable||3||$6,381||$25,524||1||$549|
|Totals for Government||140||$395,924||$33,936||25||$9,436|
5.79% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($28,583 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Obion County, TN||1.11% ($29,645 average AGI)|
|from Carroll County, TN||0.44% ($24,771)|
|from Henry County, TN||0.36% ($21,872)|
6.23% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,247 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Martin:
- WCMT (1410 AM; 1 kW; MARTIN, TN; Owner: THUNDERBOLT BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- WENK (1240 AM; 1 kW; UNION CITY, TN; Owner: WENK OF UNION CITY, INC.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WKZT (1270 AM; 1 kW; FULTON, KY; Owner: RIVER COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WMUF (1000 AM; daytime; 5 kW; PARIS, TN; Owner: BENTON-WEATHERFORD B/CTING OF TN,INC)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WMQM (1600 AM; 50 kW; LAKELAND, TN; Owner: WMQM, INC.)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
- WNQM (1300 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: WNQM. INC.)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WPAD (1560 AM; 10 kW; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Martin:
- WCMT-FM (101.7 FM; MARTIN, TN; Owner: THUNDERBOLT BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WUTM (90.3 FM; MARTIN, TN; Owner: THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE)
- WWKF (99.3 FM; FULTON, KY; Owner: WENK OF UNION CITY, INC.)
- WYVY (104.9 FM; UNION CITY, TN; Owner: TWIN STATES BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCDZ (95.1 FM; DRESDEN, TN; Owner: THUNDERBOLT BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WYNU (92.3 FM; MILAN, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WWYN (106.9 FM; MCKENZIE, TN; Owner: RAINBOW MEDIA, INC.)
- WTNE-FM (97.7 FM; TRENTON, TN; Owner: GIBSON COUNTY BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WFGE (103.7 FM; MURRAY, KY; Owner: FOREVER COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- WQAK (105.7 FM; UNION CITY, TN; Owner: TWIN STATES BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WASL (100.1 FM; DYERSBURG, TN; Owner: DR PEPPER PEPSI-COLA BOTTLING CO.)
- WKBG (102.1 FM; CLINTON, KY; Owner: FOREVER COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- WLSQ-FM (94.3 FM; DYER, TN; Owner: F. DARRELL BOYD)
- WTKB-FM (93.7 FM; ATWOOD, TN; Owner: GIBSON COUNTY BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WAKQ (105.5 FM; PARIS, TN; Owner: WENK BROADCAST GROUP, INC.)
- WAJJ (89.3 FM; MCKENZIE, TN; Owner: HEARTLAND MINSTRIES, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Martin:
- WUWT-CA (Channel 9; UNION CITY, TN; Owner: JOSEPH H. HARPOLE, SR.)
- W02BT (Channel 2; SHARON, TN; Owner: DAYSTAR MINISTRIES)
- WDKA (Channel 49; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: WDKA ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
- WJKT (Channel 16; JACKSON, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WKMU (Channel 21; MURRAY, KY; Owner: KENTUCKY AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- WQTV-LP (Channel 24; MURRAY, KY; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
Fatal accident count (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 49Number of bridges
- 199m653ftTotal length
- $5,098,000Total costs
- 180,090Total average daily traffic
- 11,431Total average daily truck traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 51 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Martin, TN)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 14 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers: 4 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 7 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 51 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Martin)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 10 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Martin)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 97
- Hazardous Condition: 107
- Service Call: 7
Incident types - Martin
|Most common first names in Martin, TN among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Martin, TN among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Martin, TN|
|Advance Auto Parts||1||Hilton||1|
|Baskin-Robbins||1||Long John Silver's||1|
|Dairy Queen||1||SONIC Drive-In||1|
|Domino's Pizza||1||Taco Bell||1|
Total of 3 patent applications in 2008-2015.