|Median resident age:||47.5 years|
|Massachusetts median age:||39.2 years|
Zip codes: 02649.
Mashpee town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $332,458 (it was $163,700 in 2000)
- White alone - 12,281 (87.7%)
- American Indian alone - 405 (2.9%)
- Two or more races - 383 (2.7%)
- Black alone - 312 (2.2%)
- Hispanic - 315 (2.2%)
- Asian alone - 168 (1.2%)
- Other race alone - 133 (0.9%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 9 (0.06%)
|Working in South Mashpee, MA (10 replies)|
|Moving to Mashpee but don't know much about it! (4 replies)|
|Driving from providence to mashpee (3 replies)|
|Cape cod vacation help (22 replies)|
|best ice cream stop (homemade) (45 replies)|
|Planning help: A few nights in "New England" in the Spring, with kids (6 replies)|
Latest news from Mashpee, MA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (27.3%), English (14.3%), Italian (12.6%), German (8.4%), French (7.1%), Polish (4.6%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1870
Elevation: 55 feet
Land area: 23.5 square miles.
Population density: 597 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Mashpee:
- High school or higher: 92.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 32.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.9%
- Unemployed: 3.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mashpee town:
- Never married: 20.3%
- Now married: 60.5%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 6.1%
- Divorced: 11.5%
342 residents are foreign born (1.7% Europe, 0.4% Latin America, 0.4% North America).
According to our research of Massachusetts and other state lists there were 3 registered sex offenders living in Mashpee, Massachusetts as of April 27, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Mashpee to the number of sex offenders is 4,789 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Mashpee town:||1.1% ($1,850)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: New Bedford, MA (23.2 miles , pop. 93,768).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (57.9 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (183.9 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Mashpee Neck, MA (1.1 miles ), Seabrook, MA (1.5 miles ), Popponesset Island, MA (1.6 miles) , New Seabury, MA (1.7 miles ), Popponesset, MA (1.7 miles ), Monomoscoy Island, MA (1.8 miles) , Seconsett Island, MA (1.9 miles) , East Falmouth, MA (2.2 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 180 buildings, average cost: $124,200
- 1998: 298 buildings, average cost: $100,900
- 2000: 288 buildings, average cost: $174,900
- 2001: 290 buildings, average cost: $190,300
- 2002: 187 buildings, average cost: $195,100
- 2003: 158 buildings, average cost: $200,800
- 2004: 164 buildings, average cost: $228,100
- 2005: 200 buildings, average cost: $297,900
- 2006: 112 buildings, average cost: $265,100
- 2007: 85 buildings, average cost: $331,000
- 2008: 61 buildings, average cost: $485,300
- 2009: 16 buildings, average cost: $552,900
- 2010: 26 buildings, average cost: $404,600
- 2011: 32 buildings, average cost: $403,300
- 2012: 41 buildings, average cost: $383,400
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 41.61 N, Longitude: 70.49 W
|Crime rates in Mashpee by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 301.1)||120.2||N/A||77.9||N/A||N/A||186.0||212.4||211.1||208.3||240.9||257.6||212.3||192.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Mashpee detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.48|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
- Construction (16%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (6%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Health care (19%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (7%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Carpenters (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (4%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (8%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
Average climate in Mashpee, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Mashpee-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Massachusetts state average. It is 90% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 253.8 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 142.2 miles away from Mashpee center
On 8/22/1992 at 12:20:32, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 3.8 MS, 4.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 173.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 257.2 miles away from the city center
On 7/22/2003 at 11:41:15, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 83.6 miles away from Mashpee center
On 10/2/1994 at 11:27:22, a magnitude 3.7 (3.5 LG, 3.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 105.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Barnstable County (13) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 4, Storms: 4, Snows: 3, Blizzards: 2, Floods: 2, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Melvin Coombs - Dancer.
Hospitals and medical centers in Mashpee:
Heliports located in Mashpee:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mashpee:
- Cape Cod Community College (about 10 miles; West Barnstable, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,491)
- University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth (about 27 miles; North Dartmouth, MA; FT enrollment: 7,545)
- Bristol Community College (about 34 miles; Fall River, MA; FT enrollment: 5,707)
- Bridgewater State University (about 36 miles; Bridgewater, MA; FT enrollment: 9,802)
- Roger Williams University (about 41 miles; Bristol, RI; FT enrollment: 4,375)
- Massasoit Community College (about 42 miles; Brockton, MA; FT enrollment: 5,442)
- Salve Regina University (about 44 miles; Newport, RI; FT enrollment: 2,349)
Public high school in Mashpee:
- Mashpee High School (Students: 993; Location: 500 OLD BARNSTABLE ROAD; Grades: 7-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Mashpee:
Notable locations in Mashpee: 4-H Club Camp (A), New Seabury Golf Club (B), Mashpee Fire and Rescue Department (C), Mashpee Public Library (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Mashpee: Old Indian Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and swamps: Combs Pond (A), Washburn pond (B), James Pond (C), Witch Pond (D), Santuit Pond (E), Lily Pond (F), Jim Pond (G), Jehu Pond (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Abigails Brook (A), Mashpee River (B), Quaker Run (C), Santuit River (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Mashpee include: Lowell Holly Reservation (1), Poppenesset Bird Sanctuary (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Beach: South Cape Beach (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attraction: Cape Cod Children's Museum (577 Great Neck Road South) (1). Display/hide its approximate location on the map
Hotels: Destinations Livery & Limousine Service (6 Cayuga Ave) (1), New Seabury Country Club & Restaurant (95 Shore Drive West) (2), La Plaza Del Sol Motel (72 Main street) (3), Santuit Inn The (6 Falmouth Rd) (4). Display/hide their approximate locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 98.2. This is worse than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 38.8. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 20.3 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 10.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 22.7 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Mashpee and their reported violations in the past:UPPER CAPE REGIONAL WATER COOPERATIVE (Population served: 56,250, Groundwater):
Past health violations:LAKESIDE ESTATES (Population served: 107, Groundwater):
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In JUN-2008, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St AO (w/o penalty) issued (NOV-25-2008), St Compliance achieved (NOV-25-2008)
Past monitoring violations:
- One routine major monitoring violation
Drinking water stations with addresses in Mashpee that have no violations reported:
- MASHPEE WATER DISTRICT (Population served: 22,445, Primary Water Source Type: Purch groundwater under infl of surface water)
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.6% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
4 people in group homes intended for adults in 2010
People in group quarters in Mashpee in 2000:
- 93 people in nursing homes
- 20 people in homes for the mentally retarded
- 16 people in other workers' dormitories
Mashpee compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Banks with branches in Mashpee (2011 data):
- Eastern Bank: Mashpee Branch at 6 Shellback Way, branch established on 1989/09/06. Info updated 2011/03/30: Bank assets: $7,812.9 mil, Deposits: $6,295.8 mil, headquarters in Boston, MA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 94 total offices, Holding Company: Eastern Bank Corporation
- Rockland Trust Company: Mashpee Branch at 5 Shellback Way, branch established on 1980/11/04. Info updated 2009/05/20: Bank assets: $4,974.4 mil, Deposits: $3,903.9 mil, headquarters in Rockland, MA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 67 total offices, Holding Company: Independent Bank Corp.
- Sovereign Bank, National Association: Mashpee Branch at 3 Charles St, branch established on 2008/07/14. Info updated 2012/01/31: Bank assets: $78,146.9 mil, Deposits: $48,042.9 mil, headquarters in Wilmington, DE, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 718 total offices, Holding Company: Banco Santander, S.A.
- TD Bank, National Association: Mashpee Common at 38 Nathan Ellis Highway, branch established on 1995/05/08. Info updated 2010/10/04: Bank assets: $188,912.6 mil, Deposits: $153,149.8 mil, headquarters in Wilmington, DE, positive income, 1314 total offices, Holding Company: Toronto-Dominion Bank, The
- RBS Citizens, National Association: Mashpee Stop & Shop at 39 Nathan Ellis Highway, branch established on 2003/10/07. Info updated 2007/09/19: Bank assets: $106,940.6 mil, Deposits: $75,690.2 mil, headquarters in Providence, RI, positive income, 1135 total offices, Holding Company: Uk Financial Investments Limited
- The Cape Cod Five Cents Savings Bank: Mashpee Branch at 10 North Market St., branch established on 1994/11/21. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $2,106.5 mil, Deposits: $1,831.3 mil, headquarters in Harwich Port, MA, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 17 total offices
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (63%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (21%)
- Electricity (12%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (4%)
- Wood (1%)
Religion statistics for Mashpee town (based on Barnstable County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 42.90%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||Episcopal Church||United Church of Christ||United Methodist Church||Jewish|
|Name||Unitarian Universalist Association||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Barnstable County:||3.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||1.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|Barnstable County:||3.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Barnstable County:||2.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||18.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.76 / 10,000 pop.|
4.67% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($63,162 average adjusted gross income)
0.07% of residents moved from foreign countries ($666 average AGI)
Barnstable County: 0.07% Massachusetts average: 0.06%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Plymouth County, MA||0.53% ($47,137 average AGI)|
|from Middlesex County, MA||0.39% ($89,653)|
|from Norfolk County, MA||0.33% ($85,930)|
4.59% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($50,649 average adjusted gross income)
0.06% of residents moved to foreign countries ($552 average AGI)
Barnstable County: 0.06% Massachusetts average: 0.11%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Mashpee:
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBSM (1420 AM; 5 kW; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WAMG (890 AM; 25 kW; DEDHAM, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF DEDHAM LICENSEE, LLC)
- WPLM (1390 AM; 5 kW; PLYMOUTH, MA; Owner: PLYMOUTH ROCK BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBUR (1240 AM; 1 kW; WEST YARMOUTH, MA; Owner: THE EXEC. COMM. OF TRTS. BOSTON U)
Strongest FM radio stations in Mashpee:
- WCIB (101.9 FM; FALMOUTH, MA; Owner: QANTUM OF CAPE COD LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WTWV (101.1 FM; MASHPEE, MA; Owner: BOCH BROADCASTING, L.P.)
- WPXC (102.9 FM; HYANNIS, MA; Owner: QANTUM OF CAPE COD LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WFPB-FM (91.9 FM; FALMOUTH, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
- WQRC (99.9 FM; BARNSTABLE, MA; Owner: SANDAB COMMUNICATION LTD. PNR/SHP II)
- WXTK (95.1 FM; WEST YARMOUTH, MA; Owner: BOCH BROADCASTING LTD. PARTNERSHIP)
- WMVY (92.7 FM; TISBURY, MA; Owner: ARITAUR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJFD-FM (97.3 FM; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: EDMUND DINIS, TRUSTEE)
- WCOD-FM (106.1 FM; HYANNIS, MA; Owner: BOCH BROADCASTING, L.P.)
- WSDH (91.5 FM; SANDWICH, MA; Owner: SANDWICH MASS. PUBLIC SCHOOLS)
- WCTK (98.1 FM; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: HALL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCAI (90.1 FM; WOODS HOLE, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WOCN-FM (103.9 FM; SOUTH YARMOUTH, MA; Owner: SANDAB COMMUNICATIONS LTD. PARTNERSHIP II)
- WKKL (90.7 FM; WEST BARNSTABLE, MA; Owner: CAPE COD COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
- WKPE-FM (104.7 FM; ORLEANS, MA; Owner: CRB WKPE LIC CORP.)
- WFHN (107.1 FM; FAIRHAVEN, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WPLM-FM (99.1 FM; PLYMOUTH, MA; Owner: PLYMOUTH ROCK BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WRZE (96.3 FM; NANTUCKET, MA; Owner: QANTUM OF CAPE COD LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WFCC-FM (107.5 FM; CHATHAM, MA; Owner: CHARLES RIVER B/CING WFCC LIC. CORP.)
TV broadcast stations around Mashpee:
- WDPX (Channel 58; VINEYARD HAVEN, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
- WMPX-LP (Channel 67; DENNIS, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
- WLWC (Channel 28; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: C-28 FCC LICENSEE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
- WWDP (Channel 46; NORWELL, MA; Owner: NORWELL TELEVISION, LLC)
- WLNE-TV (Channel 6; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: FREEDOM BROADCASTING OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND, INC.)
- W08CH (Channel 8; HYANNIS, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
Fatal accident count (per 100,000 population)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Mashpee, MA)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 6 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 70 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Mashpee)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 13 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Mashpee)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 76
- Hazardous Condition: 84
- Service Call: 20
- Good Intent Call: 8
Incident types - Mashpee
|Businesses in Mashpee, MA|
|Coldwater Creek||1||New Balance||1|
|Dunkin Donuts||4||Stop & Shop||1|
|JoS. A. Bank||1||Walgreens||1|
Total of 34 patent applications in 2008-2015.