Mason City, Nebraska
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||36.8 years|
|Nebraska median age:||36.3 years|
Zip code: 68855
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $15,097 (it was $12,881 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $44,061 (it was $23,300 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $697.
Races in Mason City, NE (2010)
- 16093.6%White alone
- 42.3%Two or more races
- 21.2%Asian alone
- 10.6%American Indian alone
Latest news from Mason City, NE collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (29.9%), Czech (11.9%), Irish (9.2%), United States (9.2%), English (7.3%), Polish (3.4%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 12/14/1886
Elevation: 2249 feet
Land area: 0.47 square miles.
Population density: 358 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Mason City:
- High school or higher: 93.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 20.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 45.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mason City village:
- Never married: 26.8%
- Now married: 43.5%
- Separated: 0.6%
- Widowed: 7.7%
- Divorced: 21.4%
According to our research of Nebraska and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Mason City, Nebraska as of April 30, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Mason City to the number of sex offenders is 84 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $659 (1.0%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $549 (1.5%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Lincoln, NE (139.8 miles , pop. 225,581).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (598.8 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Ansley, NE (2.5 miles ), Litchfield, NE (3.0 miles ), Westerville, NE (3.6 miles) , Berwyn, NE (3.7 miles) , Hazard, NE (3.8 miles) , Arcadia, NE (4.1 miles ), Loup City, NE (4.2 miles ), Pleasanton, NE (4.5 miles ).
Latitude: 41.22 N, Longitude: 99.30 W
Area code: 308
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (25%)
- Public administration (16%)
- Transportation and warehousing (12%)
- Other services, except public administration (12%)
- Finance and insurance (10%)
- Health care and social assistance (10%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Health care and social assistance (36%)
- Educational services (16%)
- Accommodation and food services (16%)
- Manufacturing (8%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Production occupations (33%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (16%)
- Management occupations (14%)
- Sales and related occupations (14%)
- Material moving occupations (10%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Healthcare support occupations (32%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (24%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (20%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (8%)
- Transportation occupations (8%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (4%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (4%)
Average climate in Mason City, Nebraska
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Mason City-area historical tornado activity is near Nebraska state average. It is 67% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/7/1953, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 11.5 miles away from the Mason City village center killed 11 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 6/6/1956, a category F4 tornado 20.3 miles away from the village center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Mason City-area historical earthquake activity is near Nebraska state average. It is 55% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/18/1959 at 06:37:13, a magnitude 7.7 (7.7 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 619.5 miles away from the city center, causing $26,000,000 total damage
On 10/18/1984 at 15:30:23, a magnitude 5.5 (5.4 MB, 5.1 MS, 5.5 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 333.2 miles away from Mason City center
On 11/3/2002 at 20:41:56, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 108.9 miles away from the city center
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML) earthquake occurred 207.0 miles away from the city center
On 6/20/2002 at 04:29:40, a magnitude 3.5 (3.3 MB, 3.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 40.3 miles away from Mason City center
On 5/25/2003 at 07:32:33, a magnitude 4.0 (3.9 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 181.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Custer County (14) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 11, Floods: 8, Tornadoes: 5, Snows: 3, Winter Storms: 2, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mason City:
- University of Nebraska at Kearney (about 38 miles; Kearney, NE; Full-time enrollment: 6,047)
- Central Community College (about 54 miles; Grand Island, NE; FT enrollment: 4,159)
- Northeast Community College (about 114 miles; Norfolk, NE; FT enrollment: 3,334)
- Wayne State College (about 138 miles; Wayne, NE; FT enrollment: 3,121)
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln (about 139 miles; Lincoln, NE; FT enrollment: 20,817)
- Nebraska Wesleyan University (about 141 miles; Lincoln, NE; FT enrollment: 2,072)
- Southeast Community College Area (about 143 miles; Lincoln, NE; FT enrollment: 8,838)
Public elementary/middle school in Mason City:
- Mason City Public School (Students: 15; Location: Clay & Main Box 88; Grades: PK-8)
Notable locations in Mason City: Mason City (A), Mason City Rescue Service (B), Mason City Rural Volunteer Fire Department (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Mason City include: American Missionary Fellowship (A), Saint Thomas Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Drinking water stations with addresses in Mason City and their reported violations in the past:MASON CITY, VILLAGE OF (Population served: 176, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In OCT-2010, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (OCT-25-2010), St Violation/Reminder Notice (OCT-25-2010), St Public Notif received (NOV-16-2010)
|This village:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Mason City compared to Nebraska state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age significantly above state average.
Banks with branches in Mason City (2011 data):
- Nebraska State Bank and Trust Company: Mason City Branch at Main Street, branch established on 1924/08/04. Info updated 2008/02/19: Bank assets: $176.4 mil, Deposits: $156.6 mil, headquarters in Broken Bow, NE, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 6 total offices, Holding Company: First Central Nebraska Co.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (59%)
- Electricity (20%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (12%)
- Wood (9%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Mason City village (based on Custer County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Custer County:||6.46 / 10,000 pop.|
|Nebraska:||2.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|Custer County:||1.85 / 10,000 pop.|
|Nebraska:||0.44 / 10,000 pop.|
|Custer County:||6.46 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.83 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||11.07 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.76 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||5||$102|
|Streets and Highways||0||$0||1||$132|
|Solid Waste Management||0||$0||1||$1,211|
|Parks and Recreation||0||$0||1||$120|
|Totals for Government||0||$0||37||$2,964|
Mason City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Regular Highways: $24,000 ($142.01)
Solid Waste Management: $22,000 ($130.18)
Water Utilities: $15,000 ($88.76)
Central Staff Services: $13,000 ($76.92)
Financial Administration: $10,000 ($59.17)
Police Protection: $3,000 ($17.75)
Fire Protection: $2,000 ($11.83)
General Public Buildings: $2,000 ($11.83)
Parks & Recreation: $1,000 ($5.92)
- General - Interest on Debt: $5,000 ($29.59)
- Other Capital Outlay - Regular Highways: $6,000 ($35.50)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $43,000 ($254.44)
Mason City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - All Other: $19,000 ($112.43)
- Local Intergovernmental - General Support: $2,000 ($11.83)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $20,000 ($118.34)
Interest Earnings: $1,000 ($5.92)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $20,000 ($118.34)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $17,000 ($100.59)
General Support: $7,000 ($41.42)
All Other: $7,000 ($41.42)
- Tax - Property: $24,000 ($142.01)
NEC: $11,000 ($65.09)
Mason City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $79,000 ($467.46)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Other, NEC: $75,000 ($443.79)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $4,000 ($23.67)
Mason City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $51,000 ($301.78)
5.81% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($27,755 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Buffalo County, NE||0.61% ($24,654 average AGI)|
|from Lancaster County, NE||0.35% ($30,400)|
|from Dawson County, NE||0.30% ($33,000)|
5.01% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($28,981 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Mason City:
- KRVN (880 AM; 50 kW; LEXINGTON, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA RURAL RADIO ASSOCIATION)
- KMMJ (750 AM; 11 kW; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Owner: JRK BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- KKPR (1460 AM; 5 kW; KEARNEY, NE; Owner: PLATTE RIVER RADIO, INC.)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KCNI (1280 AM; daytime; 1 kW; BROKEN BOW, NE; Owner: CUSTER COUNTY BROADCASTING CO.)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KRGI (1430 AM; 5 kW; GRAND ISLAND, NE)
- KNLV (1060 AM; daytime; 1 kW; ORD, NE; Owner: SANDHILLS ADVERTISING CORP.)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KIMB (1260 AM; 50 kW; KIMBALL, NE; Owner: G & L INVESTMENTS, LLC)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KJLT (970 AM; 5 kW; NORTH PLATTE, NE; Owner: TRI-STATE B/CING ASSOC., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Mason City:
- KSYZ-FM (107.7 FM; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Owner: NEUHOFF BROADCASTING-GRAND ISLAND, I)
- KRNY (102.3 FM; KEARNEY, NE; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KBBN-FM (98.3 FM; BROKEN BOW, NE; Owner: CUSTER COUNTY BROADCASTING CO.)
TV broadcast stations around Mason City:
- KHGI-TV (Channel 13; KEARNEY, NE; Owner: PAPPAS TELECASTING OF CENTRAL NEBRASKA, A CALIFORNIA LP)
- KTVG (Channel 17; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Owner: HILL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
Mason City fatal accident list:
Nov 13, 1978 01:27 PM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 3Number of bridges
- 4m13ftTotal length
- 2,380Total average daily traffic
- 356Total average daily truck traffic
- 3,165Total future (year 2030) average daily traffic
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 8
- Hazardous Condition: 1
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2016.