We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||40.5 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip code: 04453
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $15,552 (it was $11,573 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $141,066 (it was $76,300 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $153,039; Detached houses: $169,164; Townhouses or other attached units: $176,475; In 2-unit structures: $134,771; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $220,102; Mobile homes: $56,648
Races in Maxfield, ME (2010)
- 8890.7%White alone
- 44.1%American Indian alone
- 33.1%Two or more races
- 11.0%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Professional services jobs are soaring, making it the fastest-growing industry Aug 21
- Internetification today Aug 19
- The fastest-growing sector in the West is dominated by one company Aug 17
- What matters more when it comes to moving between states: weather or taxes? Aug 15
- How your income level affects your health Aug 13
Ancestries: French (18.4%), United States (18.4%), French Canadian (16.1%), German (3.4%), Irish (3.4%), Danish (2.3%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 02/06/1824
Land area: 19.1 square miles.
Population density: 5.1 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Maxfield:
- High school or higher: 69.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 3.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 9.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 30.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Maxfield town:
- Never married: 20.3%
- Now married: 64.4%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 10.2%
- Divorced: 5.1%
2 residents are foreign born (2.3% North America).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Maxfield town:||1.0% ($767)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (134.7 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (235.7 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (401.2 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Medford, ME (2.2 miles ), Howland, ME (2.3 miles ), Edinburg, ME (2.9 miles) , Lagrange, ME (3.0 miles ), Enfield, ME (3.1 miles ), Passadumkeag, ME (3.1 miles ), Milo, ME (3.4 miles ), Lincoln, ME (3.7 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2005: 1 building, cost: $20,000
- 2008: 2 buildings, average cost: $103,000
- 2009: 3 buildings, average cost: $103,000
- 2010: 3 buildings, average cost: $103,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 45.28 N, Longitude: 68.75 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
Average climate in Maxfield, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Maxfield-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Maine state average. It is 93% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 249.5 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 71.4 miles away from Maxfield center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 290.1 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 187.1 miles away from the city center
On 9/16/1994 at 04:22:42, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 25.8 miles away from Maxfield center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi) earthquake occurred 67.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Penobscot County (17) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 10
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 8, Storms: 7, Snows: 5, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Maxfield:
- University of Maine (about 28 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 32 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 81 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 84 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 133 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 135 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 135 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Bonnie Brook (A), Hardy Brook (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 45.4. This is significantly better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 25.4. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 5.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 9.17. This is about average. Closest monitor was 24.8 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Maxfield town (based on Penobscot County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Penobscot County:||2.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Penobscot County:||2.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Penobscot County:||5.72 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
4.81% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,478 average adjusted gross income)
0.04% of residents moved from foreign countries ($304 average AGI)
Penobscot County: 0.04% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Hancock County, ME||0.44% ($29,886 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.34% ($36,835)|
|from Aroostook County, ME||0.32% ($29,433)|
5.52% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($36,804 average adjusted gross income)
0.03% of residents moved to foreign countries ($387 average AGI)
Penobscot County: 0.03% Maine average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Maxfield:
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSYY (1240 AM; 1 kW; MILLINOCKET, ME; Owner: KATAHDIN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDEA (1370 AM; 5 kW; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Maxfield:
- WVOM (103.9 FM; HOWLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHCF (88.5 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WHMX (105.7 FM; LINCOLN, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WQCB (106.5 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WBZN (107.3 FM; OLD TOWN, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WWBX (97.1 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSYY-FM (94.9 FM; MILLINOCKET, ME; Owner: KATAHDIN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WMEH (90.9 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WGUY (102.1 FM; DEXTER, ME; Owner: CONCORD MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WWMJ (95.7 FM; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WEZQ (92.9 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WKIT-FM (100.3 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WDME-FM (103.1 FM; DOVER-FOXCROFT, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 0mTotal length
- 79Total average daily traffic
- 3Total average daily truck traffic
- 119Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KB1HLD, Licensee ID: L00421396, Grant Date: 12/30/2011, Expiration Date: 12/30/2021, Certifier: Steven A Rozek, Registrant: Steven A Rozek, 474 Bunker Hill Rd, Maxfield, ME 04453
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (67%)
- Wood (33%)
Maxfield compared to Maine state average:
- Median household income significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.