|Median resident age:||37.4 years|
|Georgia median age:||33.4 years|
Zip code: 31737
Mayhaw CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $79,323 (it was $51,100 in 2000)
- White alone - 2,024 (78.8%)
- Black alone - 524 (20.4%)
- Two or more races - 8 (0.3%)
- American Indian alone - 5 (0.2%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 5 (0.2%)
- Hispanic - 4 (0.2%)
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 191 feet
Land area: 131.6 square miles.
Population density: 19 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Mayhaw:
- High school or higher: 74.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.1%
- Unemployed: 3.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 17.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mayhaw CCD:
- Never married: 21.7%
- Now married: 58.2%
- Separated: 3.5%
- Widowed: 7.0%
- Divorced: 13.1%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Mayhaw CCD:||1.1% ($545)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Dothan, AL (36.5 miles , pop. 57,737).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Montgomery, AL (121.0 miles , pop. 201,568).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (638.1 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Colquitt, GA (2.1 miles ), Boykin, GA (2.7 miles) , Donalsonville, GA (3.0 miles ), Iron City, GA (3.0 miles ), Damascus, GA (3.4 miles ), Bellview, GA (3.4 miles ), Jakin, GA (3.4 miles) , Brinson, GA (3.5 miles ).
Latitude: 31.15 N, Longitude: 84.80 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 229
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (16%)
- Construction (9%)
- Truck transportation (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (6%)
- Health care (6%)
- Paper (6%)
- Food (5%)
- Health care (16%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Apparel (9%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (8%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (10%)
- Farmers and farm managers (10%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (10%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (8%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (9%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (9%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (7%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
Average climate in Mayhaw, Georgia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Mayhaw-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Georgia state average. It is 48% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/22/2005, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 9.8 miles away from the Mayhaw place center killed one person and injured 18 people and caused $7 million in damages.
On 12/28/1968, a category F3 tornado 29.2 miles away from the place center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Mayhaw-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Georgia state average. It is 86% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 146.5 miles away from the city center
On 9/10/2006 at 14:56:08, a magnitude 5.9 (5.9 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, Depth: 8.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 356.4 miles away from Mayhaw center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 212.2 miles away from the city center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 231.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 236.5 miles away from Mayhaw center
On 11/7/2004 at 11:20:21, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.3 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 211.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Miller County (6) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Tornadoes: 3, Hurricanes: 2, Storms: 2, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Mayhaw:
- MILLER NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 5 miles away; COLQUITT, GA)
- MILLER COUNTY HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 5 miles away; COLQUITT, GA)
- SEMINOLE MANOR NH (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; DONALSONVILLE, GA)
- SEMINOLE MANOR NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; DONALSONVILLE, GA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mayhaw:
- Bainbridge State College (about 24 miles; Bainbridge, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,308)
- George C Wallace State Community College-Dothan (about 42 miles; Dothan, AL; FT enrollment: 3,611)
- Darton State College (about 46 miles; Albany, GA; FT enrollment: 5,000)
- Albany Technical College (about 47 miles; Albany, GA; FT enrollment: 3,707)
- Albany State University (about 49 miles; Albany, GA; FT enrollment: 3,662)
- Tallahassee Community College (about 56 miles; Tallahassee, FL; FT enrollment: 10,904)
- Florida State University (about 58 miles; Tallahassee, FL; FT enrollment: 38,283)
Notable location: Miller County Volunteer Fire Department Station 3 - Enterprize Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Mayhaw include: Evergreen Church (A), Boykin Church of God (B), Hopewell Church (C), Church of Christ (D), Morning Star Church (E), Mothers Home Church (F), New Home Church (G), New Salem Church (H), Pilgrims Rest Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Lane Cemetery (1), Boykin Cemetery (2), Colquitt City Cemetery (3), Flat Creek Cemetery (4), Mothers Home Cemetery (5), New Home Cemetery (6), New Salem Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and swamps: Gilbert Lake (A), Byrd Pond (B), Full Ford Pond (C), Piney Pond (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Aycocks Creek (A), Kaney Head Creek (B), Susian Ford Creek (C), Sow Branch (D), Flat Creek (E), Dry Creek (F), Cypress Creek (G), Big Drain (H), Acocks Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Mayhaw: Miller County Wildlife Management Area (1). Display/hide its location on the map
|This place:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.1% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Mayhaw compared to Georgia state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (70%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (24%)
- No fuel used (2%)
- Utility gas (2%)
- Wood (1%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Mayhaw CCD (based on Miller County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 51.75%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||National Association of Free Will Baptists||United Methodist Church||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Miller County:||9.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Georgia:||1.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|Miller County:||3.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|Georgia:||0.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Miller County:||6.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||4.87 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.41 / 10,000 pop.|
6.78% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,098 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Seminole County, GA||1.44% ($25,192 average AGI)|
|from Decatur County, GA||1.17% ($30,095)|
|from Early County, GA||0.78% ($17,786)|
7.04% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($24,591 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Mayhaw:
- WSEM (1500 AM; daytime; 1 kW; DONALSONVILLE, GA; Owner: SEMINOLE BROADCASTING CO.)
- WSTT (730 AM; 25 kW; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: MARION R. WILLIAMS)
- WMGR (930 AM; 5 kW; BAINBRIDGE, GA; Owner: DECATUR BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WOOF (560 AM; 5 kW; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: WOOF, INC.)
- WTCL (1580 AM; daytime; 10 kW; CHATTAHOOCHEE, FL; Owner: METZ, INC.)
- WJEP (1020 AM; daytime; 10 kW; OCHLOCKNEE, GA; Owner: LIFELINE MINISTRIES, INCORPORATED)
- WHGH (840 AM; daytime; 10 kW; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: H. G. H INVESTMENT CORP.)
- WFVR (910 AM; 50 kW; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: RAMA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WMAC (940 AM; 50 kW; MACON, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WFRF (1070 AM; daytime; 10 kW; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Owner: FAITH RADIO NETWORK, INC.)
- WQLS (1200 AM; 10 kW; OZARK, AL; Owner: STYLES BROADCASTING OF DOTHAN, INC.)
- WMGA (1130 AM; 10 kW; MOULTRIE, GA; Owner: RADIO MOULTRIE, INC.)
- WBBK (1260 AM; daytime; 1 kW; BLAKELY, GA; Owner: MERCHANTS BROADCASTING SYSTEMS)
Strongest FM radio stations in Mayhaw:
- WRAK-FM (97.3 FM; BAINBRIDGE, GA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGMK (106.3 FM; DONALSONVILLE, GA; Owner: MERCHANTS BROADCASTING CO)
- WTVY-FM (95.5 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: STYLES BROADCASTING OF DOTHAN, INC.)
- WBBK-FM (93.1 FM; BLAKELY, GA; Owner: MERCHANTS BROADCASTING SYSTEMS OF SW GA)
- WOOF-FM (99.7 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: WOOF, INC.)
- WZND (105.3 FM; HEADLAND, AL; Owner: GULF SOUTH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WWGF (107.5 FM; DONALSONVILLE, GA; Owner: BARINOWSKI INVESTMENT COMPANY)
- WJJN (92.1 FM; COLUMBIA, AL; Owner: WILSON BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WBGE (101.9 FM; BAINBRIDGE, GA; Owner: JOHN H. WIGGINS)
- WAGF-FM (101.3 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: WILSON BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Mayhaw:
- W69DO (Channel 69; COLQUITT, GA; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W26BM (Channel 26; COLQUITT, GA; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W45BL (Channel 45; COLQUITT, GA; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W51CQ (Channel 51; COLQUITT, GA; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W08DM (Channel 8; COLQUITT, GA; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W30BO (Channel 30; COLQUITT, GA; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WTLH (Channel 49; BAINBRIDGE, GA; Owner: WTLH LICENSE CORP.)
- W47BX (Channel 47; COLQUITT, GA; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WABW-TV (Channel 14; PELHAM, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- WTWC-TV (Channel 40; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Owner: WTWC LICENSEE, LLC)
- WTXL-TV (Channel 27; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Owner: MEDIA VENTURE MANAGEMENT, INC.)
- WTVY (Channel 4; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
- WCTV (Channel 6; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: WCTV LICENSEE CORP.)
- WDHN (Channel 18; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: MORRIS NETWORK OF ALABAMA, INC.)
- W22BV (Channel 22; COLQUITT, GA; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)