Lafayette County has a predicted average indoor radon screening level less than 2 pCi/L (pico curies per liter) - Low Potential
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2012: 39.2%
(20.6% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 69.0% for Black residents, 31.3% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for other race residents, 0.0% for two or more races residents)
Average household size:
Percentage of family households:
|This town: || 2.8 people|
|Florida: || 2.5 people|
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
|This town: || 63.6%|
|Whole state: || 65.2%|
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
|This town: || 6.4%|
|Whole state: || 7.3%|
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Detailed information about poverty and poor residents in Mayo, FL
People in group quarters in Mayo in 2010:
- 50 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 18 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
- 3 people in group homes intended for adults
People in group quarters in Mayo in 2000:
- 41 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 27 people in other nonhousehold living situations
- 8 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
Mayo compared to Florida state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Back to the top
Banks with branches in Mayo (2011 data):
- Lafayette State Bank: at Main And Lafayette Streets, branch established on 1946/04/02. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $90.9 mil, Deposits: $79.0 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 4 total offices
- Drummond Community Bank: Mayo Branch at 130 Northeast Clyde Avenue, branch established on 2007/12/03. Info updated 2007/05/30: Bank assets: $200.1 mil, Deposits: $150.8 mil, headquarters in Chiefland, FL, positive income, 7 total offices, Holding Company: Drummond Banking Company
- First Federal Bank of Florida: Highway 51 N. Branch at 187 North Fletcher Avenue, branch established on 1961/01/01. Info updated 2011/07/21: Bank assets: $978.4 mil, Deposits: $771.4 mil, headquarters in Lake City, FL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 18 total offices
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (80%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (16%)
- Wood (3%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
- Utility gas (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Mayo town (based on Lafayette County data)
Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 51.27%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
Source: Jones, Dale E., et al. 2002. Congregations and Membership in the United States 2000. Nashville, TN: Glenmary Research Center.
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Assemblies of God||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
Number of grocery stores:
|Lafayette County:||2.51 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.04 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (no gas):
|This county:||1.26 / 10,000 pop.|
|Florida:||1.28 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (with gas):
|Lafayette County:||5.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Florida:||3.04 / 10,000 pop.|Number of full-service restaurants:
|This county:||2.51 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.45 / 10,000 pop.|Adult diabetes rate:
|Florida:||9.2%|Adult obesity rate:
|State:||23.7%|Low-income preschool obesity rate:
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
||Monthly full-time payroll
||Average yearly full-time wage
||Monthly part-time payroll
|Other Government Administration
|Police Protection - Officers
|Police - Other
|Solid Waste Management
|Totals for Government
9.49% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($30,796 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
7.35% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($25,670 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Mayo:
- WFVR (910 AM; 50 kW; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: RAMA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WOKV (690 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, FL; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WSTT (730 AM; 25 kW; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: MARION R. WILLIAMS)
- WGSR (1570 AM; 50 kW; FERNANDINA BEACH, FL; Owner: RJM COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- WOBS (1530 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, FL; Owner: WORD BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WFLF (540 AM; 50 kW; PINE HILLS, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WQTM (740 AM; 50 kW; ORLANDO, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMGG (820 AM; 50 kW; LARGO, FL; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF ST. PETERSBURG LICENSEE)
- WHGH (840 AM; daytime; 10 kW; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: H. G. H INVESTMENT CORP.)
- WDYZ (990 AM; 50 kW; ORLANDO, FL; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WQYK (1010 AM; 50 kW; SEFFNER, FL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF TAMPA)
- WRUF (850 AM; 5 kW; GAINESVILLE, FL; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA)
- WFRF (1070 AM; daytime; 10 kW; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Owner: FAITH RADIO NETWORK, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Mayo:
- WGSG (89.5 FM; MAYO, FL; Owner: TRUE CONCEPTS OF LEVY COUNTY, INC.)
- WLVO (106.1 FM; LIVE OAK, FL; Owner: LEON F. PETTERSEN)
- WQPW (95.7 FM; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: RTG RADIO, LLC)
- WQHL-FM (98.1 FM; LIVE OAK, FL; Owner: RTG RADIO, LLC)
- WQLC (102.1 FM; WATERTOWN, FL; Owner: LOUIS D. BOLTON, II)
- WOLR (91.3 FM; LAKE CITY, FL; Owner: WOLR 91.3 FM, INC.)
- WNFK (92.1 FM; PERRY, FL; Owner: TAYLOR COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Mayo:
- WFXU (Channel 57; LIVE OAK, FL; Owner: WFXU LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WLCF-LP (Channel 11; LAKE CITY, FL; Owner: BUDD BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- W39BZ (Channel 39; LAKE CITY, FL; Owner: ERIC McBRIDE)
- W66CQ (Channel 66; LAKE CITY, FL; Owner: MARTHA RAYBURN)
- WCTV (Channel 6; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: WCTV LICENSEE CORP.)
- W23AQ (Channel 23; LAKE CITY, FL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Mayo fatal accident list:
Nov 23, 1985 00:05 AM, 20, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 2, Drunken drivers: 1
Feb 14, 1984 07:15 PM, 251b, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:
2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Mayo
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:
92 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers:
- Sr 356 (Lat: 30.045778 Lon: -83.095139), Type: Tower, Structure height: 69 m, Overall height: 74 m, Call Sign: WPFR900
Assigned Frequencies: 857.362 MHz
Grant Date: 11/24/2009, Expiration Date: 12/05/2019, Certifier: Robin J Cohen
Registrant: Sprint Nextel Corporation, 12502 Sunrise Valley Drive, Reston, VA 20191, Phone: (703) 433-4000, Fax: (703) 433-4483
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:
- County Eoc Courthouse (Lat: 30.050778 Lon: -83.167639), Call Sign: KWJ202, Licensee ID: L00001437
Assigned Frequencies: 39.1000 MHz, 39.1800 MHz
Grant Date: 05/31/2003, Expiration Date: 08/11/2013
Registrant: State Of Florida, 2555 Shumard Oak Blvd, Tallahassee, FL 32399
- MAYO TOWER, 203 W Us 27 (Lat: 30.065000 Lon: -83.196056), Type: Gtower, Structure height: 30.4 m, Overall height: 36.6 m, Call Sign: KIK808
Assigned Frequencies: 159.270 MHz
Grant Date: 08/13/2005, Expiration Date: 10/06/2015, Certifier: William J Parrish
Registrant: Fcca, 216 Young St, Brewton, AL 36426, Phone: (251) 867-8036, Fax: (251) 867-8036, Email:
- Lat: 30.143389 Lon: -83.334111, Call Sign: WQPQ698
Assigned Frequencies: 159.570 MHz, 159.870 MHz, 159.945 MHz, 159.990 MHz, 160.005 MHz
Grant Date: 07/23/2012, Expiration Date: 07/23/2022, Certifier: Bruce C Buchanan
Registrant: Buchanans Farms, 901 Nw Cr 348, Mayo, FL 32066, Phone: (386) 209-1602, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:
9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town
FCC Registered Paging Towers:
1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:
12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Mayo
FAA Registered Aircraft:
- Aircraft: JACKSON JACK EXEC 90 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: AMA/EXPR UNKNOWN ENG (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 53022 , Serial Number: 395609494, Year manufactured: 1997, Airworthiness Date: 06/11/1997
Registrant (Individual): Don D Millar, 121 Nw Polk Path, Mayo, FL 32066
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
See full 2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System statistics for Mayo, FL
|Most common first names in Mayo, FL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Mayo, FL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Businesses in Mayo, FL
- #2 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Farm supplies merchant wholesalers"
- #10 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations"
- #59 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most people below 50% of the poverty level, excluding cities with 15% or more of residents in college and with the median age below 28"
- #61 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)"
- #65 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations"
- #65 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest maximum monthly morning or afternoon humidity"
- #77 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Customer service representatives"
- #99 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Waiters and waitresses"
- #46 (32066) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Bahamian first ancestries"
- #91 (32066) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Belizean first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"