McCloud-Medicine Lake, California
McCloud-Medicine Lake: Medicine Lake California August 13, 2008
McCloud-Medicine Lake: Fog over Medicine Lake
McCloud-Medicine Lake: lake view after the first snow fall
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||46.5 years|
|California median age:||33.3 years|
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $20,952 (it was $16,521 in 2000)
McCloud-Medicine Lake CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $194,331 (it was $93,900 in 2000)
Races in McCloud-Medicine Lake, CA (2000)
- 1,46186.4%White alone
- 442.6%Two or more races
- 342.0%American Indian alone
- 281.7%Black alone
- 160.9%Asian alone
- 60.4%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Are people living outside the metro areas cushioned against falling home prices? Jan 21
- The global threat of Islamic terror Jan 19
- Exercise and sleep: which is more important for your health? Jan 17
- Motorcycle industry in the United States Jan 15
- Evolution of First Names: Unisex Names and Nicknames Jan 13
Current Local Time: PST time zone
Land area: 1232.3 square miles.
Population density: 1.4 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in McCloud-Medicine Lake:
- High school or higher: 85.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.2%
- Unemployed: 12.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 17.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in McCloud-Medicine Lake CCD:
- Never married: 18.8%
- Now married: 60.0%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 10.2%
- Divorced: 11.0%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|McCloud-Medicine Lake CCD:||0.8% ($784)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Redding, CA (61.3 miles , pop. 80,865).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Sacramento, CA (196.2 miles , pop. 407,018).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Los Angeles, CA (539.0 miles , pop. 3,694,820).
Nearest cities: Tennant, CA (3.8 miles) , McCloud, CA (4.1 miles ), Mount Shasta, CA (4.9 miles ), Dunsmuir, CA (4.9 miles ), Big Bend, CA (5.0 miles) , Carrick, CA (5.1 miles) , Weed, CA (5.2 miles ), Mount Hebron, CA (5.4 miles) .
Latitude: 41.38 N, Longitude: 121.86 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 530
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (11%)
- Wood products (10%)
- Food and beverage stores (10%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (23%)
- Health care (18%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Food and beverage stores (7%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (4%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Cashiers (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (12%)
- Cashiers (8%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (4%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (4%)
Average climate in McCloud-Medicine Lake, California
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:McCloud-Medicine Lake-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below California state average. It is 502% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/1906 at 13:12:21, a magnitude 7.9 (7.9 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 241.3 miles away from the city center, causing $524,000,000 total damage
On 1/31/1922 at 13:17:28, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK) earthquake occurred 198.1 miles away from McCloud-Medicine Lake center
On 11/8/1980 at 10:27:34, a magnitude 7.2 (6.2 MB, 7.2 MS, 7.2 MW, 7.0 ML) earthquake occurred 128.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/25/1992 at 18:06:04, a magnitude 7.2 (6.3 MB, 7.1 MS, 7.2 MW, 7.1 MW, Depth: 9.4 mi) earthquake occurred 135.4 miles away from the city center, causing $75,000,000 total damage
On 10/3/1915 at 06:52:48, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK) earthquake occurred 235.9 miles away from McCloud-Medicine Lake center
On 1/22/1923 at 09:04:18, a magnitude 7.2 (7.2 UK) earthquake occurred 191.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Siskiyou County (10) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 8
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 8, Storms: 5, Landslides: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Mudslide: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to McCloud-Medicine Lake:
- Shasta College (about 58 miles; Redding, CA; Full-time enrollment: 5,645)
- Oregon Institute of Technology (about 62 miles; Klamath Falls, OR; FT enrollment: 2,900)
- Southern Oregon University (about 71 miles; Ashland, OR; FT enrollment: 4,650)
- Rogue Community College (about 107 miles; Grants Pass, OR; FT enrollment: 3,600)
- California State University-Chico (about 115 miles; Chico, CA; FT enrollment: 14,838)
- Butte College (about 121 miles; Oroville, CA; FT enrollment: 8,649)
- Humboldt State University (about 121 miles; Arcata, CA; FT enrollment: 7,353)
Notable locations in McCloud-Medicine Lake: Soule Ranch (A), Tennant Campground (B), Stephens Pass Camp (C), Wiley Ranch Recreation Site (D), Chippy Spur (E), Hambone Pump Station (F), Wiley Ranch Guard Station (G), Undertakers Camp (H), Nitwit Camp (I), Mount Shasta Woods (J), Tennant Forest Service Station (K), Panther Meadows Campground (L), Harris Spring Campground (M), Harris Spring Guard Station (N), McCloud Ranger Station (O), Mount Shasta Ski Park Resort (P), Cooley Circle Seven Ranch Resort (Q), Cooley Circle Seven Ranch Recreation Site (R), Ash Creek Forest Service Station (S), Pilgrim Creek Experimental Station (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in McCloud-Medicine Lake: First Baptist Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Surprise Lake (A), Tamarack Lake (B), Toad Lake (C), White Deer Lake (D), Wet Weather Lake (E), Bear Lake (F), Frog Lake (G), Antelope Creek Lakes (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creeks: Tate Creek (A), Swamp Creek (B), Pole Creek (C), Mud Creek (D), Bull Creek (E), Raccoon Creek (F), Pilgrim Creek (G), Pig Creek (H), Paynes Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in McCloud-Medicine Lake: Deer Mountain Snowmobile Park (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2008 was 29.3. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2008 was 19.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 24.8 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.0 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for McCloud-Medicine Lake CCD (based on Siskiyou County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Siskiyou County:||4.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|California:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Siskiyou County:||0.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|California:||0.62 / 10,000 pop.|
|Siskiyou County:||7.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||11.09 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.42 / 10,000 pop.|
5.41% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($35,039 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Shasta County, CA||0.49% ($45,480 average AGI)|
|from Sacramento County, CA||0.25% ($44,105)|
|from Klamath County, OR||0.22% ($22,500)|
5.98% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,600 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in McCloud-Medicine Lake:
- KTMT (580 AM; 10 kW; ASHLAND, OR; Owner: MAPLETON COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- KMJC (620 AM; 1 kW; MOUNT SHASTA, CA; Owner: JPR FOUNDATION INC.)
- KAPL (1300 AM; 20 kW; PHOENIX, OR; Owner: APPLEGATE MEDIA, INC.)
- KKOH (780 AM; 50 kW; RENO, NV; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KGRV (700 AM; 25 kW; WINSTON, OR; Owner: PACIFIC CASCADE COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- KKJX (960 AM; 5 kW; KLAMATH FALLS, OR; Owner: NEW NORTHWEST BROADCASTERS, LLC)
- KCFJ (570 AM; 5 kW; ALTURAS, CA; Owner: EDI MEDIA, INC.)
- KNRO (1670 AM; 10 kW; REDDING, CA; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF REDDING, INC.)
- KVIP (540 AM; 3 kW; REDDING, CA; Owner: PACIFIC CASCADE COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- KAGO (1150 AM; 5 kW; KLAMATH FALLS, OR; Owner: NEW NORTHWEST BROADCASTERS, LLC)
- KCBS (740 AM; 50 kW; SAN FRANCISCO, CA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- KPNW (1120 AM; 50 kW; EUGENE, OR; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KDUN (1030 AM; 50 kW; REEDSPORT, OR; Owner: PAMPLIN BROADCASTING-OREGON, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in McCloud-Medicine Lake:
- KNSQ (88.1 FM; MOUNT SHASTA, CA; Owner: STATE OF ORE./STATE BD. OF HGR. ED.)
- KNTK (102.3 FM; WEED, CA; Owner: FOUR RIVERS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- K235AG (94.9 FM; DORRIS, CA; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- KKRB (106.9 FM; KLAMATH FALLS, OR; Owner: WYNNE BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KNCA (89.7 FM; BURNEY, CA; Owner: OREGON STATE BOARD OF HIGHER ED.)
- KMJC-FM (107.9 FM; MT. SHASTA, CA; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- KRRX (106.1 FM; BURNEY, CA; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF REDDING, INC.)
- K207BU (89.3 FM; YREKA, CA; Owner: SOUTHERN OREGON UNIVERSITY)
- KNYR (91.3 FM; YREKA, CA; Owner: STATE OF OREGON/STATE BD/OREGON STAT)
- KSYC-FM (103.9 FM; YREKA, CA; Owner: FOUR RIVERS BROACASTING, INC.)
- K214BS (90.7 FM; YREKA, CA; Owner: THE UNIVERSITY FOUNDATION)
- K220EB (91.9 FM; BURNEY, CA; Owner: THE UNIVERSITY FOUNDATION)
- KHRD (103.1 FM; WEAVERVILLE, CA; Owner: RESULTS RADIO LICENSEE, LLC)
- KNCQ (97.3 FM; REDDING, CA; Owner: RESULTS RADIO OF REDDING, LLC)
- KIBC (90.5 FM; BURNEY, CA; Owner: BURNEY EDUC. BROADCASTING FOUNDATION)
- KAKT (105.1 FM; PHOENIX, OR; Owner: MAPLETON COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- KTMT-FM (93.7 FM; MEDFORD, OR; Owner: MAPLETON COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- KKLJ (88.9 FM; KLAMATH FALLS, OR; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- KSKF (90.9 FM; KLAMATH FALLS, OR; Owner: ST OF OREGON ACT BY ST BOARD OF HIGH ED)
- K216CM (91.1 FM; BIEBER, CA; Owner: THE UNIVERSITY FOUNDATION)
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Wood (45%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (38%)
- Electricity (10%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (5%)
- Utility gas (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
McCloud-Medicine Lake compared to California state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
McCloud-Medicine Lake on our top lists:
- #93 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most residents born in Other Northern America (population 500+)"
- #45 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest Particulate Matter (PM2.5) Annual air pollution readings in 2012 (µg/m3)"