We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||46.5 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04463.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $19,001 (it was $12,609 in 2000)
Medford town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $128,112 (it was $77,500 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $146,333; Detached houses: $158,409; Townhouses or other attached units: $192,170; In 2-unit structures: $150,318; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $86,534; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $328,038; Mobile homes: $49,046
Races in Medford, ME (2010)
- 25098.4%White alone
- 20.8%Black alone
- 10.4%Two or more races
|portland, me vs. burlington, vt (16 replies)|
|East/West Highway (109 replies)|
|The best place to live in Maine. (385 replies)|
|great hiking in Maine (51 replies)|
|Medway Maine? Considering Moving There (15 replies)|
|Maine vs. Vermont vs. New Hampshire (X-post) (10 replies)|
Latest news from Medford, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (19.0%), United States (16.5%), Irish (14.3%), French (11.7%), Scotch-Irish (4.3%), Scottish (4.3%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 01/31/1824
Elevation: 337 feet
Land area: 42.4 square miles.
Population density: 6.0 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Medford:
- High school or higher: 78.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.5%
- Unemployed: 18.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 35.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Medford town:
- Never married: 27.2%
- Now married: 58.0%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 4.3%
- Divorced: 8.0%
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Medford, Maine as of October 06, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Medford to the number of sex offenders is 218 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Medford town:||0.5% ($383)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (131.7 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (233.0 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (397.8 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Maxfield, ME (2.2 miles) , Milo, ME (2.6 miles ), Lagrange, ME (2.9 miles ), Howland, ME (3.1 miles ), Brownville, ME (3.2 miles ), Edinburg, ME (3.3 miles) , Sebec, ME (3.6 miles ), Atkinson, ME (3.6 miles ).
Latitude: 45.28 N, Longitude: 68.85 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (18%)
- Metal and metal products (16%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (9%)
- Transportation equipment (9%)
- Truck transportation (9%)
- Textile mills and textile products (7%)
- Wood products (5%)
- Social assistance (15%)
- Leather and allied products (8%)
- Metal and metal products (8%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (8%)
- Gasoline stations (8%)
- Publishing, and motion picture and sound recording industries (8%)
- Finance and insurance (8%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (16%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (12%)
- Carpenters (11%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (9%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (7%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (5%)
- Woodworkers (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (23%)
- Financial managers (8%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (8%)
- Other financial specialists (8%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (8%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (8%)
- Personal appearance workers (8%)
Average climate in Medford, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Medford-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Maine state average. It is 93% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 244.7 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 73.2 miles away from Medford center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 285.5 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 183.3 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 64.2 miles away from Medford center
On 9/16/1994 at 04:22:42, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 30.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Piscataquis County (20) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 14
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 12, Storms: 11, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Medford:
- University of Maine (about 28 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 32 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 77 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 80 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 129 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 132 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 133 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
Notable location: Upper Ferry (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Schoodic Cemetery (1), Upper Ferry Cemetery (2), Medford Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and swamps: Mud Pond (A), Hawthorne Meadow (B), Palmer Meadow (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Alder Brook (A), Scutaze Stream (B), Schoodic Stream (C), Roberts Rocky Brook (D), Meadow Brook (E), Pleasant River (F), Cold Stream (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 45.4. This is significantly better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 25.4. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 8.1 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Medford compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (68%)
- Wood (26%)
- Electricity (5%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Medford town (based on Piscataquis County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Piscataquis County:||5.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Piscataquis County:||4.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Piscataquis County:||8.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.65% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,622 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||2.00% ($26,472 average AGI)|
|from Somerset County, ME||0.36% ($34,864)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.28% ($48,588)|
6.17% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,622 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Medford:
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDEA (1370 AM; 5 kW; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WSYY (1240 AM; 1 kW; MILLINOCKET, ME; Owner: KATAHDIN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
Strongest FM radio stations in Medford:
- WVOM (103.9 FM; HOWLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHCF (88.5 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WQCB (106.5 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WBZN (107.3 FM; OLD TOWN, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WHMX (105.7 FM; LINCOLN, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WWBX (97.1 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGUY (102.1 FM; DEXTER, ME; Owner: CONCORD MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WSYY-FM (94.9 FM; MILLINOCKET, ME; Owner: KATAHDIN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WDME-FM (103.1 FM; DOVER-FOXCROFT, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WMEH (90.9 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWMJ (95.7 FM; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WKIT-FM (100.3 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WEZQ (92.9 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 3Number of bridges
- 21m69ftTotal length
- 363Total average daily traffic
- 16Total average daily truck traffic
- 545Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: WING LEONARD A ZENITH CH-701 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: ROTAX 912 (80 HP) (4 Cycle)
N-Number: 71LW , Serial Number: 001, Airworthiness Date: 06/20/2008
Registrant (Individual): Darryl E Luce, 1345 Medford Center Rd, Medford, ME 04463