Ford County has a predicted average indoor radon screening level greater than 4 pCi/L (pico curies per liter) - Highest Potential
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2009: 16.3%
(16.5% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
Average household size:
Percentage of family households:
|This village: || 2.5 people|
|Illinois: || 2.4 people|
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
|This village: || 68.9%|
|Whole state: || 67.3%|
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
|This village: || 6.3%|
|Whole state: || 4.8%|
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Detailed information about poverty and poor residents in Melvin, IL
Melvin compared to Illinois state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age significantly above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
Back to the top
Banks with branches in Melvin (2011 data):
- Farmers-Merchants National Bank of Paxton: Melvin Branch at 100 East Main Street, branch established on 1890/11/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $107.5 mil, Deposits: $92.2 mil, headquarters in Paxton, IL, positive income, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Premier Bancorp Of Illinois, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%)
School Enrollment by Level of School (%)
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (88%)
- Electricity (11%)
2004 Presidential Election results in Ford County Illinois:
Religion statistics for Melvin (based on Ford County data)
Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 63.23%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||United Methodist Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Catholic Church||New Testament Association Independent Baptist Churches/Other Fundamental Baptists||Southern Baptist Convention|
Source: Jones, Dale E., et al. 2002. Congregations and Membership in the United States 2000. Nashville, TN: Glenmary Research Center.
|Name||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Presbyterian Church (USA)|| The Evangelical Covenant Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
Number of grocery stores:
|Ford County:||2.83 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (no gas):
|Ford County:||1.42 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||0.75 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (with gas):
|Here:||5.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.61 / 10,000 pop.|Number of full-service restaurants:
|Here:||11.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|Adult diabetes rate:
|State:||8.3%|Adult obesity rate:
|State:||25.2%|Low-income preschool obesity rate:
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
||Monthly full-time payroll
||Average yearly full-time wage
||Monthly part-time payroll
|Other and Unallocable
|Totals for Government
Melvin government finances in 2002:
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $56,000 ($124.17)
Regular Highways: $40,000 ($88.69)
Financial Administration: $19,000 ($42.13)
General - Other: $11,000 ($24.39)
Police Protection: $6,000 ($13.30)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $24,000 ($53.22)
General Revenue, NEC: $2,000 ($4.43)
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $625,000 ($1385.81)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $46,000 ($102.00)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $73,000 ($161.86)
Highways: $14,000 ($31.04)
- Tax - Property: $23,000 ($51.00)
NEC: $1,000 ($2.22)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $12,000 ($26.61)
7.01% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($30,281 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
7.65% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($33,923 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Melvin:
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
- WYLL (1160 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: SCA LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WILL (580 AM; 5 kW; URBANA, IL; Owner: UNIV. OF ILLINOIS BOARD OF TRUSTEES)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WMVP (1000 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WIBC (1070 AM; 50 kW; INDIANAPOLIS, IN; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WVIV (1200 AM; 20 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLXX-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- WISN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WOWO (1190 AM; 50 kW; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: PATHFINDER COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Melvin:
- WGCY (106.3 FM; GIBSON CITY, IL; Owner: F & G BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WPXN (104.9 FM; PAXTON, IL; Owner: PAXTON BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WYST (107.7 FM; FAIRBURY, IL; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WWHP (98.3 FM; FARMER CITY, IL; Owner: WMS1, INC.)
- WTRX-FM (93.7 FM; PONTIAC, IL; Owner: LIVINGSTON COUNTY BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WGKC (105.9 FM; MAHOMET, IL; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WGNN (102.5 FM; FISHER, IL; Owner: GOOD NEWS RADIO, INC)
- WQQB (96.1 FM; RANTOUL, IL; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WEVX (95.3 FM; RANTOUL, IL; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WLRW (94.5 FM; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF ILLINOIS, LLC)
- WBGL (91.7 FM; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Owner: ILLINOIS BIBLE INSTITUTE,INC)
TV broadcast stations around Melvin:
- W34CD (Channel 34; QUINCY, IL; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WCIA (Channel 3; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Owner: NEXSTAR BROADCASTING OF CHAMPAIGN, L.L.C.)
- W52BR (Channel 52; CHAMPAIGN-URBANA, IL; Owner: MARCIA COHEN)
- WICD (Channel 15; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Owner: WICD LICENSEE, LLC)
- WILL-TV (Channel 12; URBANA, IL; Owner: UNIV. OF ILLINOIS BD. OF TRUSTEES)
- WCCU (Channel 27; URBANA, IL; Owner: URBANA-CHAMPAIGN BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- W58DA (Channel 58; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Melvin fatal accident list:
Sep 19, 1996 08:00 PM, Center St, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:
1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Melvin
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:
13 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:
- One Block Of Rt 54 N (Lat: 40.576694 Lon: -88.243111), Call Sign: KNGY231, Licensee ID: L00058634
Assigned Frequencies: 464.400 MHz
Grant Date: 04/29/2003, Expiration Date: 07/08/2013
Registrant: Roger Arends, 1040 E 1200 N Rd, Melvin, IL 60952, Phone: (217) 388-2362
- Lat: 40.573417 Lon: -88.289889, Call Sign: WQEP695
Assigned Frequencies: 451.350 MHz, 452.050 MHz, 451.975 MHz, 462.100 MHz, 464.625 MHz
Grant Date: 03/20/2006, Expiration Date: 03/20/2016, Certifier: Jim Freehill
Registrant: Supreme Radio Communications, Inc., 4017 N. Prospect Rd., Peoria Heights, IL 61616, Phone: (309) 682-0831, Fax: (309) 682-5949, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:
- MELVIN, 2.41 Km Se Of Rt 54 Sect 12 Twp 24n Range 8e 2.41 Km S (Lat: 40.545556 Lon: -88.252222), Type: Tower, Structure height: 107.8 m, Overall height: 112.4 m, Call Sign: WMS808
Assigned Frequencies: 2115.20 MHz
Grant Date: 02/27/2001, Expiration Date: 02/01/2011, Certifier: Glenn E Rauh
Registrant: Lukas, Nace, Gutierrez & Sachs, LLP, 8300 Greensboro Drive, Suite 1200, Mclean, VA 22102, Phone: (703) 584-8661, Fax: (703) 584-8696, Email:
FCC Registered Paging Towers:
- East End Of Melvin Drive South Side Of Rte 54 (Lat: 40.576694 Lon: -88.243083), Type: Tower, Structure height: 91.4 m, Call Sign: KNKB445
Assigned Frequencies: 454.075 MHz
Grant Date: 07/20/1999, Expiration Date: 04/01/2009, Cancellation Date: 01/30/2009, Certifier: Shawn E Endsley
Registrant: Usa Mobility Wireless, Inc., 300 Technology Drive #400, Plano, TX 75074, Phone: (972) 801-1626, Fax: (972) 801-1699, Email:
|Most common first names in Melvin, IL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Melvin, IL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
- #3 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Entertainers and performers, sports, and related workers"
- #5 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers"
- #15 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Cashiers"
- #26 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Repair and maintenance"
- #28 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Furniture and home furnishing merchant wholesalers"
- #60 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Miscellaneous manufacturing"