Osceola County has a predicted average indoor radon screening level greater than 4 pCi/L (pico curies per liter) - Highest Potential
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2011: 7.0%
Average household size:
Percentage of family households:
|This city: || 2.0 people|
|Iowa: || 2.4 people|
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
|This city: || 57.8%|
|Whole state: || 64.7%|
No gay or lesbian households reported
|This city: || 9.2%|
|Whole state: || 6.7%|
Detailed information about poverty and poor residents in Melvin, IA
Melvin compared to Iowa state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Back to the top
Banks with branches in Melvin (2011 data):
- Melvin Savings Bank: at 260 Main Street, branch established on 1912/01/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $56.1 mil, Deposits: $45.3 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 2 total offices, Holding Company: Benz Holding Company
Educational Attainment (%) in 2011
School Enrollment by Level of School (%)
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (72%)
- Electricity (13%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (13%)
- Other fuel (3%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Melvin (based on Osceola County data)
Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 79.09%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
Source: Jones, Dale E., et al. 2002. Congregations and Membership in the United States 2000. Nashville, TN: Glenmary Research Center.
|Name||Catholic Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Reformed Church in America||Lutheran Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
Number of grocery stores:
|Osceola County:||4.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (with gas):
|Osceola County:||3.10 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||5.55 / 10,000 pop.|Number of full-service restaurants:
|This county:||12.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.01 / 10,000 pop.|Adult diabetes rate:
|Iowa:||7.8%|Adult obesity rate:
|State:||27.3%|Low-income preschool obesity rate:
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
||Monthly full-time payroll
||Average yearly full-time wage
||Monthly part-time payroll
|Other Government Administration
|Totals for Government
Melvin government finances in 2002(per resident):
- Charges - Solid Waste Management: $9,000 ($43.69)
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $21,000 ($101.94)
Regular Highways: $17,000 ($82.52)
Libraries: $13,000 ($63.11)
Solid Waste Management: $9,000 ($43.69)
Fire Protection: $9,000 ($43.69)
General - Other: $7,000 ($33.98)
Sewerage: $6,000 ($29.13)
Financial Administration: $5,000 ($24.27)
General Public Buildings: $3,000 ($14.56)
Central Staff Services: $3,000 ($14.56)
Parks & Recreation: $2,000 ($9.71)
- Intergovernmental to Local NEC - Police Protection: $18,000 ($87.38)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $21,000 ($101.94)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $7,000 ($33.98)
General Revenue, NEC: $1,000 ($4.85)
- Other Capital Outlay - Regular Highways: $9,000 ($43.69)
Fire Protection: $6,000 ($29.13)
Libraries: $2,000 ($9.71)
General - Other: $1,000 ($4.85)
General Public Building: $1,000 ($4.85)
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $217,000 ($1053.40)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $26,000 ($126.21)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $19,000 ($92.23)
General Support: $10,000 ($48.54)
- Tax - Property: $29,000 ($140.78)
Public Utilities: $2,000 ($9.71)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $22,000 ($106.80)
5.15% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($28,508 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
6.09% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($31,673 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Melvin:
- KXRB (1000 AM; 10 kW; SIOUX FALLS, SD)
- KKOJ (1190 AM; 5 kW; JACKSON, MN; Owner: KLEVEN BROADCASTING CO. OF MINN.)
- KSOO (1140 AM; 10 kW; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Owner: SOUTHERN MINNESOTA BROADCASTING CO.)
- KLOH (1050 AM; 9 kW; PIPESTONE, MN; Owner: WALLACE CHRISTENSEN)
- KWOA (730 AM; 1 kW; WORTHINGTON, MN)
- KFAN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- KIWA (1550 AM; 1 kW; SHELDON, IA; Owner: SHELDON BROADCASTING CO., INC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Melvin:
- KELO-FM (92.5 FM; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Owner: MIDCONTINENT RADIO OF SOUTH DAKOTA, INC.)
- KWOA-FM (95.1 FM; WORTHINGTON, MN; Owner: THREE EAGLES OF LUVERNE, INC.)
- KNWC-FM (96.5 FM; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Owner: NORTHWESTERN COLLEGE)
- KOJI (90.7 FM; OKOBOJI, IA; Owner: WESTERN IOWA TECH COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
- KUOO (103.9 FM; SPIRIT LAKE, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KIWA-FM (105.3 FM; SHELDON, IA; Owner: SHELDON BROADCASTING CO., INC)
- KITN (93.5 FM; WORTHINGTON, MN; Owner: THREE EAGLES OF LUVERNE, INC.)
- KDCR (88.5 FM; SIOUX CENTER, IA; Owner: DORDT COLLEGE, INC.)
- KUQQ (102.1 FM; MILFORD, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KJIA (88.9 FM; SPIRIT LAKE, IA; Owner: MINN-IOWA CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING INC)
TV broadcast stations around Melvin:
- K33AB (Channel 33; SIBLEY, ETC., IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
- KELO-TV (Channel 11; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Owner: YOUNG BROADCASTING OF SIOUX FALLS, INC.)
- K07TY (Channel 7; WORTHINGTON, MN; Owner: NOBLES BROADCASTING CO., LTD.)
- KSFY-TV (Channel 13; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Owner: ELCOM OF SOUTH DAKOTA, INC.)
- KDLT-TV (Channel 46; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Owner: RED RIVER BROADCAST CO., LLC)
- K67GH (Channel 67; OTTUMWA, IA; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- KMEG (Channel 14; SIOUX CITY, IA; Owner: WAITT BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KPTH (Channel 44; SIOUX CITY, IA; Owner: PAPPAS TELECASTING OF SIOUX CITY)
- KTIV (Channel 4; SIOUX CITY, IA; Owner: KTIV TELEVISION, INC.)
- K15EB (Channel 15; WORTHINGTON, MN; Owner: INDEPENDENT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- K25AA (Channel 25; ROCK RAPIDS, ETC., IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
Melvin fatal accident list:
Apr 26, 1978 11:20 AM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:
- Jct L50 & A48 1 Mi W And 2 1/8 Mi N W Side Of Rd (Lat: 43.319417 Lon: -95.625833), Call Sign: KNFX691, Licensee ID: L00522077
Assigned Frequencies: 451.950 MHz
Grant Date: 06/15/2002, Expiration Date: 06/22/2012, Cancellation Date: 08/25/2012
Registrant: Ron Schultz And Sons Inc, 2335 Sorrel Ave, Melvin, IA 51350, Phone: (712) 736-2515
- 1 1/2 Mi W 3 Mi N On Hwy 59 (Lat: 43.330528 Lon: -95.643056), Call Sign: KNBB779
Assigned Frequencies: 451.150 MHz, 451.150 MHz
Grant Date: 08/03/2012, Expiration Date: 09/22/2022
Registrant: Alpha Wireless Communcations Co, 1115 Cross St, North Mankato, MN 56003, Phone: (712) 262-2448, Fax: (712) 262-4039
- Lat: 43.287028 Lon: -95.609417, Call Sign: WPYQ245
Assigned Frequencies: 153.890 MHz
Grant Date: 09/26/2003, Expiration Date: 09/26/2013, Certifier: Charles Benz
Registrant: Electronic Specialties Inc, 2103 Highway 169 North, Algona, IA 50511, Phone: (515) 295-7752, Fax: (515) 295-7238, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:
- Call Sign: N0FUV, Licensee ID: L00844516
Grant Date: 04/09/2004, Expiration Date: 06/29/2014, Certifier: Douglas L Karnes
Registrant: Douglas L Karnes, 117 N Street, Melvin, IA 51350
- Call Sign: WB0IAX
Grant Date: 10/18/1994, Expiration Date: 10/18/2004, Cancellation Date: 10/19/2006
Registrant: Ronald H Houghtaling, 359 Center St Box 144, Melvin, IA 51350
|Most common first names in Melvin, IA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Melvin, IA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Businesses in Melvin, IA
- #3 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Repair and maintenance"
- #8 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Engineers"
- #12 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations"
- #13 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Paper"
- #23 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Fire fighting and prevention workers including supervisors"
- #27 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Machinery, equipment, and supplies merchant wholesalers"
- #77 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest temperature differences during a year"
- #86 (51350) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Dutch first ancestries"