Mercer: View of a Mercer sunset
Mercer: Fall view from Corson road in Mercer
Mercer: Looking East toward Downtown Mecer on Main Street
Mercer: Our 200 year old barn located on Sandy River rd.
Mercer: shot of Sandy river road
Mercer: another shot of the Sandy river road
Mercer: Sandy river from the back of my dads property
Mercer: Carved trees on Bacon Road in Mercer Maine
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||48.4 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04957.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $24,938 (it was $18,068 in 2000)
Mercer town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $138,425 (it was $84,300 in 2000)
Races in Mercer, ME (2010)
- 65198.0%White alone
- 40.6%American Indian alone
- 30.5%Asian alone
- 30.5%Two or more races
- 10.2%Black alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Another look at gender equality in the U.S. Oct 27
- Online travel agencies generate most of their revenue in the United States Oct 25
- In Which States are Businesses Most Dependent on International Demand? Oct 22
- The most comfortable places to live in the U.S. Oct 21
- Fast food industry is an enduring American value Oct 19
|Thinking of Portland, ME (possibly NH?) (9 replies)|
|Rome, Maine Real Estate (6 replies)|
|Maine's Own Off-Topic Thread! (2485 replies)|
|Heading to NYC 5/07/09 (11 replies)|
|I need a turkey! (13 replies)|
|Is Augusta really that bad??? (39 replies)|
Latest news from Mercer, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (21.3%), English (19.8%), United States (16.8%), French (10.7%), German (7.0%), Polish (5.9%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 06/22/1804
Elevation: 328 feet
Land area: 26.7 square miles.
Population density: 25 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Mercer:
- High school or higher: 84.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.6%
- Unemployed: 2.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 31.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mercer town:
- Never married: 25.4%
- Now married: 60.0%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 4.7%
- Divorced: 9.0%
9 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Mercer, Maine as of October 27, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Mercer to the number of sex offenders is 315 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Mercer town:||0.9% ($733)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (72.0 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (173.2 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (332.8 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Starks, ME (2.2 miles ), Smithfield, ME (2.2 miles ), Norridgewock, ME (2.4 miles ), New Sharon, ME (2.6 miles ), Rome, ME (2.6 miles ), Madison, ME (2.9 miles ), Anson, ME (3.0 miles ), Industry, ME (3.3 miles ).
Latitude: 44.67 N, Longitude: 69.89 W
Area code: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (15%)
- Paper (12%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (9%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Wood products (6%)
- Truck transportation (5%)
- Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers (4%)
- Health care (16%)
- Educational services (16%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Leather and allied products (6%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- Social assistance (6%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (12%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (10%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (11%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (8%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (5%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (4%)
Average climate in Mercer, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Mercer-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 92% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 189.0 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 225.8 miles away from Mercer center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 117.3 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 89.0 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 22.5 miles away from Mercer center
On 1/17/2000 at 08:16:20, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, 3.4 LG, Depth: 10.1 mi) earthquake occurred 27.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Somerset County (22) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 15
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 13, Storms: 12, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Hurricanes: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: James S. Wiley - Politician.
Hospitals and medical centers near Mercer:
- MAPLECREST REHAB AND LIVING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; MADISON, ME)
- WOODLAWN REHABILITATION AND NURSING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; SKOWHEGAN, ME)
- REDINGTON FAIRVIEW GENERAL HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 11 miles away; SKOWHEGAN, ME)
- ORCHARD PARK REHAB AND LIVING (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; FARMINGTON, ME)
- EDGEWOOD REHAB AND LIVING CTR (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; FARMINGTON, ME)
- SANDY RIVER CENTER (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; FARMINGTON, ME)
- LAKEWOOD (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; WATERVILLE, ME)
airports located in Mercer:
- Beech Hill Airport (04ME) (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 20, Local Ops: 100, Military Ops: 50)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mercer:
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 13 miles; Farmington, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 24 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Husson University (about 56 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine (about 62 miles; Orono, ME; FT enrollment: 8,931)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 66 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 73 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 73 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
Cemeteries: Young Elliot Cemetery (1), Hampshire Hill Cemetery (2), Lado Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Ladd Pond (A), Mercer Bog (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Hilton Brook (A), Indian Stream (B), Witham Brook (C), Pattee Brook (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2005 was 57.1. This is better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2004 was 11.7. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 12.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2005 was 11.4. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 15.0 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.7% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Mercer town (based on Somerset County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Somerset County:||2.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Somerset County:||2.71 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Somerset County:||9.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.56% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,526 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Kennebec County, ME||1.67% ($27,240 average AGI)|
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.89% ($23,204)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.22% ($25,475)|
5.99% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($29,088 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Mercer:
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WFAU (1280 AM; 5 kW; GARDINER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WTVL (1490 AM; 1 kW; WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WLAM (1470 AM; 5 kW; LEWISTON, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGAN (560 AM; 5 kW; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Mercer:
- WHQO (107.9 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WIGY (97.5 FM; MADISON, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WWWA (95.3 FM; WINSLOW, ME; Owner: LIGHT OF LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCTB (93.5 FM; FAIRFIELD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
- WLOB-FM (96.3 FM; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: ATLANTIC COAST RADIO, LLC)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WKTJ-FM (99.3 FM; FARMINGTON, ME; Owner: FRANKLIN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WTBM (100.7 FM; MEXICO, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WWBX (97.1 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEBB (98.5 FM; WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WQCB (106.5 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WMEP (90.5 FM; CAMDEN, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WQSS (102.5 FM; CAMDEN, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMEW (91.3 FM; WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WMME-FM (92.3 FM; AUGUSTA, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WABK-FM (104.3 FM; GARDINER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKCG (101.3 FM; AUGUSTA, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMHB (89.7 FM; WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: THE MAYFLOWER HILL BROADCASTING. CORP.)
TV broadcast stations around Mercer:
- W21BI (Channel 21; FARMINGTON, ME; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WPFO (Channel 23; WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: CMCG PORTLAND LICENSE LLC)
- WFYW-LP (Channel 69; FAIRFIELD/WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- DW23AB (Channel 23; WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: RUSSELL COMMUNICATIONS)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 0mTotal length
- $843,000Total costs
- 19Total average daily traffic
- 29Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Mercer)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
- Hazardous Condition: 3
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (68%)
- Wood (24%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (7%)
- Electricity (1%)
Mercer compared to Maine state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2016.