We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||45.1 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04780.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $17,977 (it was $11,532 in 2000)
Merrill town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $77,484 (it was $45,800 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $125,039; Detached houses: $133,261; Townhouses or other attached units: $227,405; In 2-unit structures: $202,827; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $29,654; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $218,247; Mobile homes: $46,901; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $121,366
Races in Merrill, ME (2010)
- 25292.3%White alone
- 124.4%American Indian alone
- 41.5%Black alone
- 20.7%Two or more races
Ancestries: French (31.7%), Irish (30.5%), English (21.3%), United States (10.0%), Scottish (4.8%), Scotch-Irish (3.2%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 09/06/1858
Land area: 37.6 square miles.
Population density: 7.3 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Merrill:
- High school or higher: 75.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.3%
- Unemployed: 10.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 27.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Merrill town:
- Never married: 27.0%
- Now married: 60.2%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 4.6%
- Divorced: 8.2%
10 residents are foreign born (2.4% North America, 1.6% Asia).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Merrill town:||1.1% ($507)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (199.6 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (301.1 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (463.8 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Dyer Brook, ME (2.4 miles) , Smyrna, ME (2.6 miles ), Oakfield, ME (2.6 miles ), Hersey, ME (3.0 miles) , Island Falls, ME (3.3 miles ), Ludlow, ME (3.5 miles ), New Limerick, ME (3.6 miles ), Crystal, ME (3.7 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1998: 3 buildings, average cost: $13,300
- 2005: 3 buildings, average cost: $150,200
- 2007: 1 building, cost: $150,000
- 2009: 2 buildings, average cost: $178,900
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $75,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 46.16 N, Longitude: 68.23 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Wood products (29%)
- Rail transportation (12%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (8%)
- Construction (8%)
- Food (8%)
- Truck transportation (8%)
- Publishing, and motion picture and sound recording industries (6%)
- Health care (36%)
- Educational services (24%)
- Public administration (16%)
- Food and beverage stores (11%)
- Sporting goods, camera, and hobby and toy stores (5%)
- Other direct selling establishments (4%)
- Social assistance (4%)
- Woodworkers (12%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (12%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (12%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (8%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (8%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (8%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (6%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (11%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (11%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (7%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (7%)
- Top executives (5%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
- Health technologists and technicians (5%)
Average climate in Merrill, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Merrill-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Maine state average. It is 94% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 290.8 miles away from the city center
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 56.8 miles away from Merrill center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 125.9 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 335.3 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 247.4 miles away from Merrill center
On 9/16/1994 at 04:22:42, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 59.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Aroostook County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 9
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 8, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Merrill:
- University of Maine (about 91 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 97 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 140 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 148 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 196 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 200 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 200 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
Cemeteries: Tarbell Cemetery (1), Merrill Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Charley Anderson Pond (A), Huntley Mill Pond (B), Read Lake (C), Roach Pond (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Cold Brook (A), North Branch Dudley Brook (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2000 was 23.7. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2000 was 22.0. This is about average. Closest monitor was 19.0 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Merrill town (based on Aroostook County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Aroostook County:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||7.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
3.21% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,766 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,181 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.08% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.46% ($28,764 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.20% ($23,132)|
|from Hartford County, CT||0.09% ($34,920)|
3.74% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,623 average adjusted gross income)
0.11% of residents moved to foreign countries ($830 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.11% Maine average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Merrill:
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WFST (600 AM; 5 kW; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: NORTHERN BROADCAST MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WEGP (1390 AM; 5 kW; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: DECELLES/SMITH MEDIA, INC.)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Merrill:
- WHOU-FM (100.1 FM; HOULTON, ME; Owner: COUNTY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WQHR (96.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WOZI (101.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMEM (106.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBPW (96.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- W274AF (102.7 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 5Number of bridges
- 15m49ftTotal length
- $2,762,000Total costs
- 4,140Total average daily traffic
- 270Total average daily truck traffic
- 5,991Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (78%)
- Wood (20%)
- Utility gas (2%)
Merrill compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.