Metropolis: Metropolis Illinois
Metropolis: Metropolis Illinois
Metropolis: Metropolis Illinois
Metropolis: Abandoned radio station/theatre
Metropolis: Metropolis Illinois
Metropolis: Metropolis Industrial Park Water Tower
Metropolis: Metropolis Industrial Park Water Tank
Metropolis: BIG JOHN
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||40.4 years|
|Illinois median age:||37.2 years|
Zip codes: 62960.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $19,496 (it was $15,967 in 2000)
Metropolis city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $67,542 (it was $50,500 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $613.
Races in Metropolis, IL (2013)
- 5,81488.9%White alone
- 4546.9%Black alone
- 811.2%Two or more races
- 550.8%Asian alone
- 550.8%Other race alone
- 110.2%American Indian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Online travel agencies generate most of their revenue in the United States Oct 25
- In Which States are Businesses Most Dependent on International Demand? Oct 22
- The most comfortable places to live in the U.S. Oct 21
- Fast food industry is an enduring American value Oct 19
- A look at the numbers: diabetes in the U.S. Oct 17
|Does Chicago "feel" Midwestern? (281 replies)|
|Lucas Museum to Chicago is official (149 replies)|
|how happy are you in Illinois? (87 replies)|
|Tell me about Southern Illinois. ( Little Egypt) (9 replies)|
|How did Chicago become different? (29 replies)|
|I currently live in Orland Park, IL a large suburb near Chicago. I am wanting to relocate to a small Illinois town. H (7 replies)|
Latest news from Metropolis, IL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (23.4%), Irish (15.2%), United States (6.5%), English (6.4%), French (4.7%), Dutch (3.8%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 06/06/1873
Elevation: 350 feet
Land area: 5.01 square miles.
Population density: 1,277 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Metropolis:
- High school or higher: 79.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 17.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.2%
- Unemployed: 7.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 18.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Metropolis city:
- Never married: 22.4%
- Now married: 43.8%
- Separated: 2.9%
- Widowed: 11.8%
- Divorced: 19.0%
63 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Illinois and other state lists there were 29 registered sex offenders living in Metropolis, Illinois as of October 25, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Metropolis to the number of sex offenders is 224 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $1,225 (1.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $988 (1.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Evansville, IN (86.0 miles , pop. 121,582).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Metropolitan Government, TN (128.7 miles , pop. 569,891).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (329.0 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Brookport, IL (2.4 miles ), Joppa, IL (2.7 miles ), Paducah, KY (2.8 miles ), Lone Oak, KY (3.0 miles ), Massac, KY (3.0 miles ), Hendron, KY (3.0 miles ), Kevil, KY (3.2 miles ), Woodlawn-Oakdale, KY (3.4 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 5 buildings, average cost: $75,000
- 1998: 5 buildings, average cost: $82,400
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $165,000
- 2000: 5 buildings, average cost: $82,500
- 2001: 5 buildings, average cost: $82,500
- 2003: 5 buildings, average cost: $96,600
- 2004: 38 buildings, average cost: $15,600
- 2005: 36 buildings, average cost: $15,600
- 2006: 53 buildings, average cost: $94,700
- 2007: 7 buildings, average cost: $132,700
- 2008: 6 buildings, average cost: $145,700
- 2009: 2 buildings, average cost: $212,500
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $106,000
- 2011: 2 buildings, average cost: $73,000
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $65,000
- 2013: 2 buildings, average cost: $70,000
- 2014: 2 buildings, average cost: $70,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 37.15 N, Longitude: 88.73 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +783 (+12.0%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,162 (47.5%)
Area code: 618
|Crime rates in Metropolis by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 287.5)||344.3||350.8||447.5||457.2||460.3||336.3||503.2||357.2||429.7||347.7||424.6||265.8||399.3|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Metropolis detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.48|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -697 (-9.7%).
- Transportation and warehousing (16%)
- Manufacturing (11%)
- Retail trade (11%)
- Construction (10%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (29%)
- Accommodation and food services (17%)
- Retail trade (14%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Other services, except public administration (5%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Information (3%)
- Transportation occupations (21%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (12%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Management occupations (7%)
- Sales and related occupations (6%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (6%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (15%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (11%)
- Sales and related occupations (10%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (9%)
- Community and social service occupations (8%)
- Production occupations (7%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (6%)
Average climate in Metropolis, Illinois
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Metropolis-area historical tornado activity is near Illinois state average. It is 72% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/6/2003, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 18.6 miles away from the Metropolis city center killed 2 people and injured 33 people and caused $16 million in damages.
On 9/22/2006, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 5.2 miles away from the city center injured 2 people and caused $1 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Metropolis-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Illinois state average. It is 73% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 100.9 miles away from the city center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 44.6 miles away from Metropolis center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 73.2 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 77.5 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 124.1 miles away from Metropolis center
On 9/29/1987 at 00:04:56, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 30.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Massac County (8) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 5, Storms: 5, Tornadoes: 2, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Oscar Micheaux - Film director, Betty Foss - Baseball player, Joanne Weaver - Girls Professional Baseball League player, Buddy Hall - Pool player, Jean Weaver - Baseball player, Annie Malone - Fashion businesspeople, John Riegger - PGA Tour Golf player (born: 6/13/63), John Steele (paratrooper) - Recipient of the Purple Heart medal, Ben Taylor (first baseman) - Baseball player, Hawk Taylor - Baseball player.
Hospitals and medical centers in Metropolis:
- KRYPTON (502 WEST 8TH STREET)
- LOURDES HOSPICE (600 MARKET ST)
- MASSAC MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (Government - Hospital District or Authority, provides emergency services, 28 CHICK STREET, PO BOX 850)
- MAGNOLIA MANOR SK N FACILITY (2101 METROPOLIS STREET)
- METROPOLIS NURSING AND REHAB CENTER (2299 METROPOLIS STREET)
- SOUTHGATE HEALTH CARE CENTER (900 EAST NINTH STREET, PO BOX 843)
- FMC - OF METROPOLIS (20 HOSPITAL DRIVE)
airports located in Metropolis:
- Metropolis Municipal Airport (M30) (Runways: 1, Air Taxi Ops: 1,000, Itinerant Ops: 3,000, Local Ops: 9,000)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Metropolis:
- West Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 8 miles; Paducah, KY; Full-time enrollment: 4,107)
- Murray State University (about 44 miles; Murray, KY; FT enrollment: 8,930)
- Southeast Missouri State University (about 46 miles; Cape Girardeau, MO; FT enrollment: 9,678)
- John A Logan College (about 46 miles; Carterville, IL; FT enrollment: 3,995)
- Southern Illinois University-Carbondale (about 48 miles; Carbondale, IL; FT enrollment: 14,539)
- The University of Tennessee-Martin (about 57 miles; Martin, TN; FT enrollment: 7,013)
- Madisonville Community College (about 69 miles; Madisonville, KY; FT enrollment: 2,082)
Public high schools in Metropolis:
- MASSAC COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 662, Location: 2841 OLD MARION RD, Grades: 9-12)
- SAFE SCHOOL ROE2 (Location: 1102 W 10TH ST, Grades: 6-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Metropolis:
- METROPOLIS ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 601, Location: 1015 FILMORE ST, Grades: KG-6)
- MASSAC JR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 287, Location: 3028 OLD MARION RD, Grades: 7-8)
- JEFFERSON ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 172, Location: 4915 JEFFERSON SCHOOL RD, Grades: KG-6)
- FRANKLIN ELEM SCHOOL (Location: 1006 MOUNT MISSION RD, Grades: KG-6)
User submitted facts and corrections:
- I would like to add Calvary Fellowship Baptist Church on the site! We are a church located in Metropolis on 12th Street!
- Trinity Presbyterian Church located at the corner of 6th and Metropolis Street is the oldest church in Metropolis and is not shown on your listing of churches. The Pastor is Dr. Bobby L. Logan. The church is very active with the downtown churches in the Advent Walk, Vacation Bible School, Walk Through the Bible, and many other activities. They also host the only youth gtoup in the community and surrounding area that offer the Dowel Rod Ministry a very exciting and impressive program where they share their faith. Any questions regarding the church and activities, please feel free to contact the church at 618/524-2307. added by Judi
Notable locations in Metropolis: Frontier Picnic Area (A), Long Knife Picnic Area (B), Musketeer Campground (C), River Forest Picnic Area (D), Massac County Courthouse (E), Metropolis Public Library (F), Massac Memorial Ambulance Service (G), Metropolis Fire Department (H), Good Samaritan Nursing Home (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Metropolis include: Broadway Church of Christ (A), Cherry Street Pentecostal Church (B), Eastland Baptist Church (C), First Baptist Church (D), First Missionary Baptist Church (E), First United Methodist Church (F), Immanuel Baptist Church (G), Kingdom Hall Jehovahs Witnesses (H), Mount Horeb Freewilll Baptist Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creeks: Sevenmile Creek (A), Massac Creek (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Metropolis include: Lincoln Park (1), Memorial Park (2), Massac Forest Nature Preserve (3), Fort Massac State Park (4), Franklin Park (5), Washington Park (6). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attraction: Hambrick Jim (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 715 Market St).
Hotels: American Inn (1502 West 10th Street), Best Western Metropolis Inn (2119 East Fifth Street), Days Inn (1415 E. 5th St.).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 64.5. This is about average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2000 was 0.102. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 8.2 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 5.65. This is about average. Closest monitor was 0.6 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 0.345. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 0.6 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 29.5. This is about average. Closest monitor was 3.4 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 17.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 7.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 10.0. This is about average. Closest monitor was 7.7 miles away from the city center.
(22.6% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 34.8% for Black residents, 100.0% for American Indian residents, 24.8% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
79 people in group homes intended for adults in 2010
People in group quarters in Metropolis in 2000:
- 266 people in nursing homes
- 31 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 17 people in homes for the mentally retarded
- 9 people in institutions for the deaf
Banks with branches in Metropolis (2011 data):
- The City National Bank of Metropolis: The City National Bank Of Metropolis at 423 Ferry Street, branch established on 1908/07/01; I-24 Branch at 2070 East 5th Street, branch established on 2005/09/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $343.7 mil, Deposits: $271.7 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 2 total offices, Holding Company: City National Bankcorp, Inc.
- Banterra Bank: Metropolis Branch at 101 West 8th Street, branch established on 1895/01/01. Info updated 2011/09/01: Bank assets: $1,103.3 mil, Deposits: $959.2 mil, headquarters in Marion, IL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 31 total offices, Holding Company: Banterra Corp
- MidCountry Bank: Metropolis Branch at 522 Market Street, branch established on 2006/11/03. Info updated 2011/07/21: Bank assets: $674.7 mil, Deposits: $534.7 mil, headquarters in Marion, IL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 23 total offices
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Metropolis city (based on Massac County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Massac County:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massac County:||2.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.97 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Metropolis, IL Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||10||$8,075|
|Judicial and Legal||1||$8,075||$96,900||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||17||$61,200||$43,200||0||$0|
|Police - Other||5||$12,750||$30,600||0||$0|
|Fire - Other||1||$4,148||$49,776||5||$102|
|Streets and Highways||20||$56,950||$34,170||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||1||$2,321||$27,852||14||$6,800|
|Other and Unallocable||1||$2,996||$35,952||12||$1,700|
|Totals for Government||88||$296,523||$40,435||47||$19,227|
Metropolis government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Water Utilities: $2,721,000 ($425.82)
Police Protection: $155,000 ($24.26)
Fire Protection: $74,000 ($11.58)
Central Staff Services: $13,000 ($2.03)
- Current Operations - Electric Utilities: $4,717,000 ($738.18)
Central Staff Services: $3,902,000 ($610.64)
Regular Highways: $1,280,000 ($200.31)
Police Protection: $944,000 ($147.73)
Water Utilities: $904,000 ($141.47)
Fire Protection: $629,000 ($98.44)
General - Other: $375,000 ($58.69)
Solid Waste Management: $328,000 ($51.33)
Parks & Recreation: $256,000 ($40.06)
Libraries: $250,000 ($39.12)
Air Transportation: $89,000 ($13.93)
General Public Buildings: $68,000 ($10.64)
Financial Administration: $46,000 ($7.20)
Sewerage: $37,000 ($5.79)
- Employee Retirement - Securities - Corporate Bonds (market): $289,000 ($45.23)
Total Cash & Deposits: $196,000 ($30.67)
Benefit Payments: $157,000 ($24.57)
Withdrawals: $11,000 ($1.72)
- General - Interest on Debt: $41,000 ($6.42)
- Intergovernmental to Local NEC - General: $500,000 ($78.25)
- Other Capital Outlay - Central Staff: $1,302,000 ($203.76)
General - Other: $755,000 ($118.15)
Regular Highways: $506,000 ($79.19)
Water Utilities: $385,000 ($60.25)
Fire Protection: $32,000 ($5.01)
Sewerage: $30,000 ($4.69)
Parks & Recreation: $25,000 ($3.91)
Solid Waste Management: $17,000 ($2.66)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $2,744,000 ($429.42)
Metropolis government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $430,000 ($67.29)
Solid Waste Management: $239,000 ($37.40)
Parks & Recreation: $47,000 ($7.36)
All Other: $30,000 ($4.69)
- Employee Retirement - From Local Government: $157,000 ($24.57)
Interest Revenue: $83,000 ($12.99)
Local Employee Contribution: $71,000 ($11.11)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $795,000 ($124.41)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $630,000 ($98.59)
General Revenue, NEC: $257,000 ($40.22)
- Revenue - Electric Utilities: $4,793,000 ($750.08)
Water Utilities: $423,000 ($66.20)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $9,383,000 ($1468.39)
Highways: $182,000 ($28.48)
All Other: $29,000 ($4.54)
- Tax - Public Utilities: $265,000 ($41.47)
Property: $258,000 ($40.38)
NEC: $152,000 ($23.79)
Metropolis government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $800,000 ($125.20)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $495,000 ($77.46)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $305,000 ($47.73)
Metropolis government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Employee Retirement - Total Other Securities: $2,599,000 ($406.73)
Total Federal Securities: $14,000 ($2.19)
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $11,971,000 ($1873.40)
5.23% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($27,644 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from McCracken County, KY||1.42% ($27,704 average AGI)|
|from Johnson County, IL||0.25% ($30,571)|
|from Pope County, IL||0.25% ($33,143)|
5.70% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($29,537 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Metropolis:
- WMOK (920 AM; 1 kW; METROPOLIS, IL; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- WPAD (1560 AM; 10 kW; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WNTX (750 AM; daytime; 1 kW; BROOKPORT, IL; Owner: DANIEL S. STRATEMEYER)
- WDXR (1450 AM; 1 kW; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: FOREVER COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- WKYX (570 AM; 1 kW; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WDDD (810 AM; 10 kW; JOHNSTON CITY, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCBL (1290 AM; 5 kW; BENTON, KY; Owner: JIM W. FREELAND)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- KZIM (960 AM; 5 kW; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: ZIMMER RADIO OF MID-MISSOURI, INC)
- WNQM (1300 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: WNQM. INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Metropolis:
- WREZ (105.5 FM; METROPOLIS, IL; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- WRIK-FM (98.3 FM; METROPOLIS, IL; Owner: SUN MEDIA, INC.)
- WKYQ (93.3 FM; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WDDJ (96.9 FM; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WZZL (106.7 FM; REIDLAND, KY; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- WGCF (89.3 FM; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: CHRISTIAN BUSINESSMEN'S ASSOC, INC.)
- WLIE-FM (94.3 FM; GOLCONDA, IL; Owner: FOREVER COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- WBEL (88.5 FM; CAIRO, IL; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WCCK (95.7 FM; CALVERT CITY, KY; Owner: JIM W. FREELAND DBA FREELAND BROADCASTING)
- WGKY (95.9 FM; WICKLIFFE, KY; Owner: WICKLIFE RENTAL PROPERTIES, INC.)
- WOOZ-FM (99.9 FM; HARRISBURG, IL; Owner: ZIMMER COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WKBG (102.1 FM; CLINTON, KY; Owner: FOREVER COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- WLLE (94.7 FM; MAYFIELD, KY; Owner: FOREVER COMMUNICATIONS KY, LLC)
- W221BB (92.1 FM; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: BD OF REGENTS MURRAY STATE UNIV)
TV broadcast stations around Metropolis:
- WKPD (Channel 29; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: KENTUCKY AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- WDKA (Channel 49; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: WDKA ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
- WPSD-TV (Channel 6; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: WPSD-TV, LLC)
- W54AE (Channel 54; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: TRI-STATE CHRISTIAN TV, INC.)
- WQWQ-LP (Channel 9; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- WSIL-TV (Channel 3; HARRISBURG, IL; Owner: WSIL-TV, INC.)
- KFVS-TV (Channel 12; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- KBSI (Channel 23; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: KBSI LICENSEE L.P.)
- WKMU (Channel 21; MURRAY, KY; Owner: KENTUCKY AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 19Number of bridges
- 236m774ftTotal length
- $434,000Total costs
- 174,450Total average daily traffic
- 31,278Total average daily truck traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 82 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Metropolis, IL)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 14 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 73 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Metropolis)
FAA Registered Aircraft Manufacturers and Dealers: 1 (See the full list of FAA Registered Manufacturers and Dealers in Metropolis)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 13 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 72
- Hazardous Condition: 62
Incident types - Metropolis
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Metropolis, Illinois:
- Metroplis Inn, Exit 37 US 45 & I-24 Rt 3, Metropolis, Illinois 62960 , Phone: (618) 524-3723
- Super 8 Metropolis, 2055 E 5th St, Metropolis, Illinois 62960 , Phone: (800) 566-9970, Fax: (618) 524-8624
- Comfort Inn, 2118 E 5TH St, Metropolis, Illinois 62960 , Phone: (618) 524-7227, Fax: (618) 524-9708
- Americas Best Value Inn, 1415 E Fifth St, Metropolis, Illinois 62960 , Phone: (618) 524-9341, Fax: (618) 524-4327
- Amerihost Inn Players, 203 E Front St, Metropolis, Illinois 62960 , Phone: (618) 524-5678, Fax: (618) 524-2225
|Most common first names in Metropolis, IL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Metropolis, IL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (81%)
- Electricity (16%)
- Wood (3%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
|Businesses in Metropolis, IL|
|Domino's Pizza||1||SONIC Drive-In||1|
|H&R Block||1||Super 8||2|
Metropolis compared to Illinois state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Metropolis on our top lists:
- #11 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Transportation occupations (population 5,000+)"
- #13 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in institutions for the deaf (population 1,000+)"
- #16 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest number of rapes per 100,000 residents, excludes tourist destinations and others with a lot of outsiders visiting based on city industries data (population 5,000+)"
- #42 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Community and social service occupations (population 5,000+)"
- #73 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of divorced people (15+ years)(population 5,000+)"
- #93 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in industries: Transportation and warehousing (population 5,000+)"
Total of 7 patent applications in 2008-2016.