Mexia: Sun rise in Charlotte NC
Mexia: Fort Parker
Mexia: Mexia City Auditorium - a few years ago
Mexia: Lake Mexia
Mexia: St. Mary Catholic Church, Mexia TX
Mexia: Post office downtown
Mexia: A stormy day in Mexia,Texas,October 2010
Mexia: Sunset in July
Mexia: City Hall in Mexia, Tx
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||31.7 years|
|Texas median age:||34.0 years|
Zip codes: 76667.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $16,975 (it was $12,235 in 2000)
Mexia city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $65,642 (it was $35,000 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $685.
Races in Mexia, TX (2013)
- 2,76535.9%White alone
- 2,75835.8%Black alone
- 871.1%Two or more races
- 200.3%Asian alone
- 150.2%American Indian alone
- 70.09%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
|Mexia Tx...need information please. (7 replies)|
|Can you be a "true" Texan if you weren't born here? (156 replies)|
|Temple/Killeen TX , any one have any input? (47 replies)|
|Texans on San Antonio (39 replies)|
|How much has Austin changed for the worst? (180 replies)|
|How Do You Pronounce the Following -- Texas and Bowie? (76 replies)|
Latest news from Mexia, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (10.6%), German (6.1%), United States (5.3%), English (3.7%), French (2.4%), Subsaharan African (1.4%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 5.15 square miles.
Population density: 1,456 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Mexia:
- High school or higher: 78.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.9%
- Unemployed: 8.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 13.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mexia city:
- Never married: 36.7%
- Now married: 42.3%
- Separated: 2.6%
- Widowed: 7.3%
- Divorced: 11.1%
836 residents are foreign born (10.8% Latin America).
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 48 registered sex offenders living in Mexia, Texas as of January 21, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Mexia to the number of sex offenders is 157 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $1,249 (1.5%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $657 (1.3%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Waco, TX (40.8 miles , pop. 113,726).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Dallas, TX (79.4 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Tehuacana, TX (2.4 miles ), Wortham, TX (2.7 miles ), Kirvin, TX (3.3 miles) , Coolidge, TX (3.3 miles ), Groesbeck, TX (3.4 miles ), Teague, TX (3.5 miles ), Personville, TX (3.8 miles ), Streetman, TX (4.0 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 3 buildings, average cost: $53,300
- 1998: 3 buildings, average cost: $53,300
- 1999: 27 buildings, average cost: $103,100
- 2000: 7 buildings, average cost: $109,000
- 2001: 16 buildings, average cost: $117,400
- 2002: 10 buildings, average cost: $38,700
- 2003: 14 buildings, average cost: $94,300
- 2004: 15 buildings, average cost: $23,400
- 2005: 7 buildings, average cost: $85,800
- 2006: 3 buildings, average cost: $84,700
- 2007: 3 buildings, average cost: $170,000
- 2008: 4 buildings, average cost: $67,500
- 2009: 2 buildings, average cost: $90,000
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $162,500
- 2011: 23 buildings, average cost: $228,200
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $130,000
- 2013: 1 building, cost: $150,000
- 2014: 3 buildings, average cost: $133,300
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 31.68 N, Longitude: 96.48 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +1,540 (+20.3%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,997 (58.4%)
Area code: 254
|Crime rates in Mexia by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 287.5)||529.8||556.3||449.5||542.7||517.5||535.9||452.2||572.5||473.0||503.6||387.7||373.1||409.6|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Mexia detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.29|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -529 (-7.5%).
- Manufacturing (18%)
- Educational services (15%)
- Health care and social assistance (14%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Other services, except public administration (7%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (6%)
- Construction (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (40%)
- Educational services (25%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Retail trade (7%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (3%)
- Finance and insurance (2%)
- Production occupations (15%)
- Sales and related occupations (10%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (9%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Community and social service occupations (7%)
- Material moving occupations (6%)
- Personal care and service occupations (15%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (13%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (11%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (10%)
- Healthcare support occupations (8%)
- Sales and related occupations (7%)
- Health technologists and technicians (7%)
Average climate in Mexia, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Mexia-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Texas state average. It is 69% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/11/1953, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 23.9 miles away from the Mexia city center killed 114 people and injured 597 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 3/10/1973, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 22.1 miles away from the city center killed 6 people and injured 77 people.
Earthquake activity:Mexia-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Texas state average. It is 81% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 267.1 miles away from the city center
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 206.0 miles away from Mexia center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi) earthquake occurred 419.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/9/1993 at 12:29:19, a magnitude 4.3 (4.1 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 221.5 miles away from the city center
On 1/18/1995 at 15:51:39, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 223.4 miles away from Mexia center
On 4/28/1998 at 14:13:01, a magnitude 4.2 (3.9 MB, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 241.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Limestone County (11) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 3, Floods: 3, Hurricanes: 3, Storms: 3, Tornadoes: 3, Wind: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Allen Stanford - Disgraced financier, Ray Rhodes - Football player, Bill Crider - Mystery writer, John F. Forrest - Army officer and combat commander during the Korean War and Vietnam War era., Michael Brown - painter, Adrian Burk - Football player, Jesse Kimbrough - College basketball player (Jacksonville Dolphins), Kelvin Beachum - Football player, Michael Brown (writer) - Record producer, Tommy Taylor (baseball) - Baseball player.
Hospitals and medical centers in Mexia:
- COMMERCE HOUSE (811 E COMMERCE)
- FAIRWAY HOUSE (1000 FAIRWAY)
- MEXIA STATE SCHOOL (HIGHWAY 171)
- PARKVIEW REGIONAL HOSPITAL (Proprietary, 600 SOUTH BONHAM STREET)
- TYLER HOUSE (830 E TYLER)
- MANOR RETIREMENT AND CONV CTR,THE (831 TEHUACANA RD)
- MEXIA LTC NURSING AND REHABILITATION (601 TERRACE LN)
- MEXIA NURSING HOME (501 E SUMPTER)
- THE MANOR HEALTHCARE RESIDENCE LTD (831 TEHUACANA HWY)
airports located in Mexia:
- Mexia-Limestone Co Airport (LXY) (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 2,300, Local Ops: 4,600)
- Pt Enterprise D&w Ranch Airport (11TS) (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mexia:
- Navarro College (about 28 miles; Corsicana, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,711)
- Texas State Technical College-Waco (about 36 miles; Waco, TX; FT enrollment: 4,210)
- Baylor University (about 39 miles; Waco, TX; FT enrollment: 14,800)
- McLennan Community College (about 42 miles; Waco, TX; FT enrollment: 6,673)
- Hill College (about 43 miles; Hillsboro, TX; FT enrollment: 2,968)
- Trinity Valley Community College (about 52 miles; Athens, TX; FT enrollment: 5,333)
- Temple College (about 67 miles; Temple, TX; FT enrollment: 3,796)
Public high schools in Mexia:
Public elementary/middle schools in Mexia:
Notable location: Mexia Fire and Emergency Medical Service (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Mexia include: Little Zion Baptist Church (A), Ford Chapel Baptist Church (B), First Baptist Church Mexia (C), Antioch Baptist Church (D), Alexander Chapel Primitive Baptist Church (E), Glad Tidings Assembly of God Church (F), Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church (G), First Presbyterian Church (H), First Pentecostal Church of God (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Mexia: Mexia City Park (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attraction: Barrand Incorporated - Whataburger (1012 East Milam Street).
(16.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 14.0% for Black residents, 56.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 56.7% for American Indian residents, 66.4% for other race residents)
|This city:||2.7 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
People in group quarters in Mexia in 2010:
- 442 people in state prisons
- 122 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 25 people in group homes intended for adults
- 11 people in residential treatment centers for adults
18 people in homes for the mentally retarded in 2000
Banks with branches in Mexia (2011 data):
- The East Texas National Bank of Palestine: Mexia Branch at 101 North Mckinney Street, branch established on 1936/05/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $139.2 mil, Deposits: $128.8 mil, headquarters in Palestine, TX, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 3 total offices, Holding Company: East Texas National, Inc.
- Woodforest National Bank: Mexia Wal-Mart Branch at 1406 East Milam, branch established on 2001/01/24. Info updated 2011/05/10: Bank assets: $3,488.9 mil, Deposits: $3,097.6 mil, headquarters in Houston, TX, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 766 total offices, Holding Company: Woodforest Financial Group Employee Stock Ownership Plan (With 401(K) Provisions) (Amended And
- Farmers State Bank: Mexia Branch at 604 West Milam, branch established on 1994/02/28. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $126.7 mil, Deposits: $114.4 mil, headquarters in Groesbeck, TX, positive income, 7 total offices, Holding Company: Groesbeck Bancshares, Inc.
- Incommons Bank, N.A.: at 301 East Commerce Street, branch established on 1882/02/01. Info updated 2008/05/05: Bank assets: $97.3 mil, Deposits: $84.7 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Bi-Stone Bancshares, Inc.
- Compass Bank: Mexia Branch at 312 North Sherman, branch established on 1959/01/01. Info updated 2011/02/24: Bank assets: $63,107.0 mil, Deposits: $46,232.4 mil, headquarters in Birmingham, AL, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 720 total offices, Holding Company: Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, S.A.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Mexia city (based on Limestone County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Limestone County:||2.69 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.45 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Limestone County:||1.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Limestone County:||9.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Mexia, TX Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2013)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||5||$20,761||$49,826||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||2||$5,050||$30,300||2||$2,001|
|Police Protection - Officers||19||$70,020||$44,223||0||$0|
|Police - Other||10||$21,801||$26,161||4||$3,970|
|Streets and Highways||9||$20,309||$27,079||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||2||$4,784||$28,704||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||97||$304,048||$37,614||9||$8,280|
Mexia government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $1,639,000 ($218.50)
Police Protection: $954,000 ($127.18)
Fire Protection: $799,000 ($106.52)
Regular Highways: $627,000 ($83.59)
Financial Administration: $333,000 ($44.39)
Sewerage: $148,000 ($19.73)
Central Staff Services: $135,000 ($18.00)
Libraries: $111,000 ($14.80)
Judicial and Legal Services: $89,000 ($11.87)
General Public Buildings: $81,000 ($10.80)
Parks & Recreation: $73,000 ($9.73)
- General - Interest on Debt: $153,000 ($20.40)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $2,844,000 ($379.15)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $0 ($0.00)
Mexia government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $539,000 ($71.86)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $1,554,000 ($207.17)
Interest Earnings: $94,000 ($12.53)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $1,335,000 ($177.98)
- Tax - Total General Sales: $1,656,000 ($220.77)
Property: $1,009,000 ($134.52)
Other Selective Sales: $296,000 ($39.46)
Alcoholic Beverage Sales: $6,000 ($0.80)
Mexia government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $2,555,000 ($340.62)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $2,445,000 ($325.96)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $110,000 ($14.66)
Mexia government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $1,507,000 ($200.91)
7.66% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($36,643 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Freestone County, TX||1.44% ($41,190 average AGI)|
|from McLennan County, TX||1.17% ($32,624)|
|from Dallas County, TX||0.37% ($25,481)|
7.33% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($33,401 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Mexia:
- KRQX (1590 AM; 1 kW; MEXIA, TX; Owner: MJ COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- KBBW (1010 AM; 10 kW; WACO-MARLIN, TX; Owner: AMERICAN BROADCASTING OF TEXAS)
- KRLD (1080 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: TEXAS INFINITY BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KFXR (1190 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KESS (1270 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: KESS-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- KSKY (660 AM; 20 kW; BALCH SPRINGS, TX; Owner: BISON MEDIA, INC.)
- KZMP (1540 AM; 50 kW; UNIVERSITY PARK, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KRZI (1580 AM; 10 kW; WACO, TX; Owner: VAN D. GOODALL, JR.)
- KAHZ (1360 AM; 50 kW; HURST, TX)
- KTRH (740 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, TX; Owner: AMFM TEXAS LICENSES LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KBIS (1150 AM; 25 kW; HIGHLAND PARK, TX; Owner: DALLAS AM RADIO PARTNERS, L.P.)
- KRZX (1660 AM; 10 kW; WACO, TX; Owner: VAN D. GOODALL, JR.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Mexia:
- KYCX-FM (104.9 FM; MEXIA, TX; Owner: MJ COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KDOS (107.9 FM; ROBINSON, TX; Owner: KICI-FM LICENSE CORP.)
- WACO-FM (99.9 FM; WACO, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KWTX-FM (97.5 FM; WACO, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KNES (99.1 FM; FAIRFIELD, TX; Owner: J & J COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Mexia:
- KCEN-TV (Channel 6; TEMPLE, TX; Owner: CHANNEL 6, INC.)
- KXXV (Channel 25; WACO, TX; Owner: CENTEX TELEVISION LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KWKT (Channel 44; WACO, TX; Owner: COMCORP OF TEXAS LICENSE CORP.)
- KNAV-LP (Channel 30; CORSICANA, TX; Owner: NAVARRO COLLEGE)
- KWBU-TV (Channel 34; WACO, TX; Owner: BRAZOS VALLEY PUBLIC BROADCASTING FOUNDATION)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 9Number of bridges
- 28m92ftTotal length
- $2,208,000Total costs
- 43,070Total average daily traffic
- 5,404Total average daily truck traffic
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 56 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 6 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Mexia, TX)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 7 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 42 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Mexia)
FAA Registered Aircraft Manufacturers and Dealers: 1 (See the full list of FAA Registered Manufacturers and Dealers in Mexia)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 16 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Mexia and their reported violations in the past:BISTONE MUNICIPAL WATER SUPPLY (Population served: 621, Surface water):
Past monitoring violations:
- Monthly Turbidity Exceed (Enhanced SWTR) - In JUL-2005, Contaminant: IESWTR. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (SEP-01-2005), St Public Notif requested (OCT-26-2005), St Violation/Reminder Notice (OCT-26-2005)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Mexia that have no violations reported:
- 84 WEST WSC (Population served: 174, Primary Water Source Type: Purch surface water)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 253
- Hazardous Condition: 38
- Service Call: 1
Incident types - Mexia
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Mexia, Texas:
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites, 820 W Milam, Mexia, Texas 76667 , Phone: (254) 562-0005, Fax: (254) 562-0003
- Bestwestern Limestone Inn & Suites, 1314 E Milam St, Mexia, Texas 76667 , Phone: (254) 562-0200, Fax: (254) 562-0201
|Most common first names in Mexia, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Mexia, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (49%)
- Electricity (45%)
- Wood (2%)
- No fuel used (2%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
|Businesses in Mexia, TX|
|Best Western||1||Pizza Hut||1|
Mexia compared to Texas state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
Mexia on our top lists:
- #24 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Community and social service occupations (population 5,000+)"
- #47 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in industries: Health care and social assistance (population 5,000+)"
- #52 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Personal care and service occupations (population 5,000+)"
- #59 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most full-time firefighters per 1000 residents (population 5,000+)"
- #94 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest number of murders per 100,000 residents, excludes tourist destinations and others with a lot of outsiders visiting based on city industries data (population 5,000+)"
- #101 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Health technologists and technicians (population 5,000+)"
Total of 3 patent applications in 2008-2017.