Michigan City, North Dakota
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||53.5 years|
|North Dakota median age:||35.0 years|
Zip codes: 58259.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $41,599 (it was $16,034 in 2000)
Michigan City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $78,579 (it was $26,400 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $76,646; Detached houses: $77,232; Mobile homes: $52,257
Median gross rent in 2016: $400.
Races in Michigan City, ND (2010)
- 28295.9%White alone
- 51.7%American Indian alone
- 41.4%Two or more races
Latest news from Michigan City, ND collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Norwegian (53.6%), German (24.5%), Czech (5.5%), Brazilian (2.7%), American (1.8%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 0.53 square miles.
Population density: 533 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Michigan City:
- High school or higher: 93.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.1%
- Unemployed: 6.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 19.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Michigan City city:
- Never married: 10.0%
- Now married: 66.5%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 8.5%
- Divorced: 15.0%
5 residents are foreign born (1.3% Latin America, 0.8% Europe).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $928 (0.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2016: $582 (1.0%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Fargo, ND (100.7 miles , pop. 90,599).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Minneapolis, MN (313.3 miles , pop. 382,618).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (665.6 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Petersburg, ND (2.4 miles) , Lakota, ND (3.2 miles ), Niagara, ND (3.4 miles) , Dahlen, ND (3.6 miles) , Brocket, ND (4.1 miles) , McVille, ND (4.3 miles ), Pekin, ND (4.3 miles) , Tolna, ND (4.5 miles ).
Latitude: 48.02 N, Longitude: 98.12 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 701
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (26%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (22%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Utilities (10%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Wholesale trade (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (17%)
- Educational services (15%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (12%)
- Public administration (12%)
- Finance and insurance (11%)
- Manufacturing (6%)
- Wholesale trade (6%)
- Management occupations (30%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (19%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (9%)
- Production occupations (8%)
- Sales and related occupations (6%)
- Material moving occupations (6%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (5%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (29%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (12%)
- Management occupations (8%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (8%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (6%)
Average climate in Michigan City, North Dakota
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Michigan City-area historical tornado activity is slightly above North Dakota state average. It is 24% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/26/2007, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 31.7 miles away from the Michigan City city center killed one person and injured 18 people and caused $50 million in damages.
On 8/26/2007, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 20.3 miles away from the city center .
Earthquake activity:Michigan City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below North Dakota state average. It is 79% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/18/1959 at 06:37:13, a magnitude 7.7 (7.7 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 644.0 miles away from the city center, causing $26,000,000 total damage
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 190.3 miles away from Michigan City center
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML) earthquake occurred 270.7 miles away from the city center
On 6/5/1993 at 01:24:53, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 184.1 miles away from the city center
On 10/20/1995 at 15:57:18, a magnitude 3.7 (3.7 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 165.7 miles away from Michigan City center
On 9/8/1984 at 00:59:31, a magnitude 5.1 (5.1 MB, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 456.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Nelson County (24) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 21
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 22, Storms: 11, Snows: 3, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Mudslide: 1, Tornado: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Michigan City:
- University of North Dakota (about 50 miles; Grand Forks, ND; Full-time enrollment: 12,858)
- Northland Community and Technical College (about 91 miles; Thief River Falls, MN; FT enrollment: 2,717)
- North Dakota State University-Main Campus (about 100 miles; Fargo, ND; FT enrollment: 12,680)
- Minnesota State University-Moorhead (about 103 miles; Moorhead, MN; FT enrollment: 6,096)
- Concordia College at Moorhead (about 103 miles; Moorhead, MN; FT enrollment: 2,767)
- North Dakota State College of Science (about 141 miles; Wahpeton, ND; FT enrollment: 2,318)
- Minot State University (about 148 miles; Minot, ND; FT enrollment: 2,887)
Notable locations in Michigan City: Michigan Fire Department (A), Michigan Area Ambulance Service (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
(2.2% for White Non-Hispanic residents)
|This city:||2.0 people|
|North Dakota:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2016
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2016
|North Dakota average:||9.6|
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Michigan City city (based on Nelson County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Nelson County:||6.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|North Dakota:||3.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|Nelson County:||3.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|North Dakota:||1.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|Nelson County:||12.45 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||18.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.90 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||1||$2,254||$27,048||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||1||$2,254||$27,048||1||$800|
5.78% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,628 average adjusted gross income)
|North Dakota average:||7.91%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Ramsey County, ND||1.11% ($31,200 average AGI)|
|from Cass County, ND||0.81% ($24,909)|
|from Grand Forks County, ND||0.81% ($26,455)|
5.92% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($38,850 average adjusted gross income)
|North Dakota average:||7.15%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
|to Grand Forks County, ND||1.70% ($36,478 average AGI)|
Strongest AM radio stations in Michigan City:
- WWNL (1080 AM; 50 kW; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: STEEL CITY RADIO, INC.)
- KXMR (710 AM; 50 kW; BISMARCK, ND; Owner: RADIO BISMARCK MANDAN, LLC)
- KNOX (1310 AM; 5 kW; GRAND FORKS, ND; Owner: LEIGHTON ENTERPRISES, INC.)
- KCNN (1590 AM; 5 kW; EAST GRAND FORKS, MN; Owner: KRAD, INC.)
- KPRM (870 AM; 25 kW; PARK RAPIDS, MN; Owner: DE LA HUNT BROADCASTING CORP.)
- KSJB (600 AM; 5 kW; JAMESTOWN, ND; Owner: CHESTERMAN COMM. JAMESTOWN, INC.)
- WEBC (560 AM; 50 kW; DULUTH, MN)
- KFNW (1200 AM; 10 kW; WEST FARGO, ND; Owner: NORTHWESTERN COLLEGE)
- KDLR (1240 AM; 1 kW; DEVILS LAKE, ND; Owner: DOUBLE Z BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- KMAV (1520 AM; daytime; 3 kW; MAYVILLE, ND; Owner: R & J BROADCASTING)
- KQWB (1660 AM; 10 kW; WEST FARGO, ND; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WDAY (970 AM; 5 kW; FARGO, ND; Owner: FORUM COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY)
TV broadcast stations around Michigan City:
- KGFE (Channel 2; GRAND FORKS, ND; Owner: PRAIRIE PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDAZ-TV (Channel 8; DEVILS LAKE, ND; Owner: FORUM COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY)
- KXJB-TV (Channel 4; VALLEY CITY, ND; Owner: CATAMOUNT BROADCASTING OF FARGO LLC)
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (75%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (14%)
- Other fuel (3%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (2%)
- Wood (2%)
Michigan City compared to North Dakota state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.