|Median resident age:||39.0 years|
|New Hampshire median age:||43.9 years|
Zip codes: 03887.
Middleton town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $175,758 (it was $92,500 in 2000)
- White alone - 1,727 (96.9%)
- Hispanic - 15 (0.8%)
- Asian alone - 13 (0.7%)
- Two or more races - 13 (0.7%)
- Black alone - 8 (0.4%)
- American Indian alone - 7 (0.4%)
Ancestries: English (16.7%), French (15.7%), Irish (15.3%), United States (7.6%), French Canadian (7.2%), Italian (6.7%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1778
Land area: 18.1 square miles.
Population density: 99 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Middleton:
- High school or higher: 77.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.4%
- Unemployed: 2.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 35.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Middleton town:
- Never married: 21.7%
- Now married: 59.2%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 3.8%
- Divorced: 13.1%
28 residents are foreign born
According to our research of New Hampshire and other state lists there were 4 registered sex offenders living in Middleton, New Hampshire as of May 29, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Middleton to the number of sex offenders is 468 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Middleton town:||1.8% ($1,648)|
|New Hampshire:||2.3% ($2,946)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Manchester, NH (38.4 miles , pop. 107,006).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (79.3 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (231.2 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Union, NH (1.7 miles ), Milton, NH (2.0 miles ), New Durham, NH (2.0 miles ), Farmington, NH (2.3 miles ), Milton Mills, NH (2.4 miles ), Sanbornville, NH (2.5 miles ), Brookfield, NH (2.7 miles ), Alton, NH (2.9 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 5 buildings, average cost: $80,800
- 1998: 5 buildings, average cost: $171,800
- 2000: 7 buildings, average cost: $118,000
- 2001: 19 buildings, average cost: $85,000
- 2002: 22 buildings, average cost: $12,500
- 2003: 38 buildings, average cost: $16,000
- 2004: 49 buildings, average cost: $169,200
- 2005: 41 buildings, average cost: $167,700
- 2006: 35 buildings, average cost: $168,100
- 2007: 25 buildings, average cost: $168,000
- 2008: 6 buildings, average cost: $108,900
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $120,000
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $125,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 43.47 N, Longitude: 71.07 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 603
|Crime rates in Middleton by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 296.2)||45.4||136.8||69.4||107.8||128.3||186.7||85.4||38.4||43.1||130.6||149.4|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Middleton detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.22|
|New Hampshire average:||2.18|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (26%)
- Transportation equipment (10%)
- Wood products (6%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Repair and maintenance (4%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (4%)
- Health care (17%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Transportation equipment (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (4%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Carpenters (10%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (4%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (3%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (10%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (4%)
- Child care workers (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (4%)
Middleton-area historical tornado activity is slightly below New Hampshire state average. It is 61% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 34.8 miles away from the Middleton town center injured 5 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 6/22/1981, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 5.5 miles away from the town center caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Middleton-area historical earthquake activity is near New Hampshire state average. It is 90% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 26.6 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 166.9 miles away from Middleton center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 149.3 miles away from the city center
On 8/21/1996 at 07:54:14, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 51.5 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 158.0 miles away from Middleton center
On 6/16/1995 at 12:13:11, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 70.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Strafford County (16) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 10
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 7, Floods: 6, Winter Storms: 3, Hurricanes: 2, Snowstorms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snow: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tornado: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Middleton:
- YOUR VNA (Home Health Center, about 9 miles away; ROCHESTER, NH)
- WOLFEBORO BAY CARE AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; WOLFEBORO, NH)
- HUGGINS HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 11 miles away; WOLFEBORO, NH)
- VNA HOSPICE OF S CARROLL CO AND VICINITY (Hospital, about 11 miles away; WOLFEBORO, NH)
- ACADEMY NH INC (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; ROCHESTER, NH)
- FRISBIE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 14 miles away; ROCHESTER, NH)
- ROCHESTER MANOR (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; ROCHESTER, NH)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Middleton:
- University of New Hampshire-Main Campus (about 25 miles; Durham, NH; Full-time enrollment: 15,243)
- NHTI-Concord's Community College (about 29 miles; Concord, NH; FT enrollment: 2,865)
- University of New England (about 35 miles; Biddeford, ME; FT enrollment: 4,539)
- Southern New Hampshire University (about 36 miles; Manchester, NH; FT enrollment: 16,552)
- Plymouth State University (about 37 miles; Plymouth, NH; FT enrollment: 4,838)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 39 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- Mount Washington College (about 40 miles; Manchester, NH; FT enrollment: 2,187)
Notable location: Middleton Fire and Rescue (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: Whitehouse Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Bowser Pond (A), Lily Pond (B), Currier Pond (C), Sunrise Lake (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Horn Brook (A), Hayes Brook (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 56.5. This is better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 33.7. This is about average. Closest monitor was 11.6 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2001 was 16.6. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 21.4 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 6.56. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 18.8 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.7 people|
|New Hampshire:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Middleton compared to New Hampshire state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (70%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (19%)
- Wood (10%)
- Electricity (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Middleton town (based on Strafford County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 39.03%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Church of Christ||Muslim Estimate||United Methodist Church||Conservative Baptist Association of America|
|Name||Episcopal Church||Assemblies of God||Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America||Jewish||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Strafford County:||1.73 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Hampshire:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.15 / 10,000 pop.|
|Strafford County:||2.48 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Hampshire:||1.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|Strafford County:||3.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||9.70 / 10,000 pop.|
6.89% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($39,594 average adjusted gross income)
|New Hampshire average:||6.07%|
0.06% of residents moved from foreign countries ($289 average AGI)
Strafford County: 0.06% New Hampshire average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Rockingham County, NH||1.99% ($41,933 average AGI)|
|from York County, ME||0.75% ($34,055)|
|from Hillsborough County, NH||0.37% ($34,062)|
6.95% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($38,729 average adjusted gross income)
|New Hampshire average:||6.45%|
0.07% of residents moved to foreign countries ($397 average AGI)
Strafford County: 0.07% New Hampshire average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Middleton:
- WGIN (930 AM; 10 kW; ROCHESTER, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WASR (1420 AM; 5 kW; WOLFEBORO, NH; Owner: RADIO WOLFEBORO, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WTSN (1270 AM; 5 kW; DOVER, NH; Owner: GARRISON CITY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WEZS (1350 AM; 5 kW; LACONIA, NH; Owner: GARY W. HAMMOND)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGIR (610 AM; 5 kW; MANCHESTER, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Middleton:
- WMEX (106.5 FM; FARMINGTON, NH; Owner: WIMMEX, LLC)
- WSCY (106.9 FM; MOULTONBOROUGH, NH; Owner: NORTHEAST COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WLKZ (104.9 FM; WOLFEBORO, NH; Owner: TELE-MEDIA COMPANY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, L.L.C.)
- WPHX-FM (92.1 FM; SANFORD, ME; Owner: FNX BROADCASTING LLC)
- WSEW (88.5 FM; SANFORD, ME; Owner: WORD RADIO EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WMEA (90.1 FM; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WNHI (93.3 FM; BELMONT, NH; Owner: CONCORD BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- WVFM (105.7 FM; CAMPTON, NH; Owner: DEVON BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WOKQ (97.5 FM; DOVER, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WQSO (96.7 FM; ROCHESTER, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBLM (102.9 FM; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WPNH-FM (100.1 FM; PLYMOUTH, NH; Owner: NORTHEAST COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WUBB (95.3 FM; YORK CENTER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W282AF (104.3 FM; CONCORD, NH; Owner: CONCORD BIBLE FELLOWSHIP)
- WGIR-FM (101.1 FM; MANCHESTER, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WJYY (105.5 FM; CONCORD, NH; Owner: CONCORD BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- WQLL (96.5 FM; BEDFORD, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Middleton:
- WMEA-TV (Channel 26; BIDDEFORD, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WMTW-TV (Channel 8; POLAND SPRING, ME; Owner: WMTW BROADCAST GROUP, LLC)
- WCSH (Channel 6; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: PACIFIC AND SOUTHERN COMPANY, INC.)
- WGME-TV (Channel 13; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: WGME LICENSEE, LLC)
- WENH-TV (Channel 11; DURHAM, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
- WHDN-LP (Channel 26; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GUENTER MARKSTEINER)
- WPXG (Channel 21; CONCORD, NH; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
Middleton fatal accident list:
Dec 17, 2001 02:13 PM, Sr-153, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 1
Total length: 1 meters (3ft)
Total costs: $7,500,000
Total average daily traffic: 3,850
Total average daily truck traffic: 262
Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic: 5,698
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Town Hwy Barn Middleton Corners (Lat: 43.484806 Lon: -71.072000), Call Sign: KNFS476
Assigned Frequencies: 156.240 MHz
Grant Date: 04/20/2012, Expiration Date: 06/15/2022
Registrant: Universal Licensing Service, 4401-A Connecticut Ave Nw #232, Washington, DC 20008-2358, Phone: (877) 677-3639, Fax: (949) 206-3097, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:7
- Call Sign: KA1KHX
Grant Date: 01/31/1995, Expiration Date: 01/31/2005, Cancellation Date: 02/01/2007
Registrant: Milton E Rich, 237 Ridge Rd, Middleton, NH 03887
- Call Sign: KB1AUI, Licensee ID: L00709901
Grant Date: 07/01/2003, Expiration Date: 06/29/2013, Certifier: Leonard E Arkerson
Registrant: Leonard E Arkerson, 155 New Durham Rd, Middleton, NH 03887
- Call Sign: KB1M, Licensee ID: L00978378
Grant Date: 02/15/2005, Expiration Date: 03/16/2015
Registrant: Walter G Peckham, 322 Ridge Rd, Middleton, NH 03887
- Call Sign: N1LZS
Grant Date: 04/14/1992, Expiration Date: 04/14/2002, Cancellation Date: 04/15/2004
Registrant: Charles H Wyatt Jr, Rr 1 Box 1314 Middleton Hill Rd, Middleton, NH 03887
- Call Sign: NA1D, Licensee ID: L00984805
Grant Date: 03/01/2005, Expiration Date: 02/23/2015, Certifier: Mary A Saliga
Registrant: Mary A Saliga, 173 Drew Dr, Middleton, NH 03887
- Call Sign: NA1E, Licensee ID: L00984804
Grant Date: 03/01/2005, Expiration Date: 02/23/2015, Certifier: Daniel R Saliga
Registrant: Daniel R Saliga, 173 Drew Dr, Middleton, NH 03887
- Call Sign: WD6GDK
Grant Date: 08/15/1989, Expiration Date: 08/15/1999, Cancellation Date: 08/16/2001
Registrant: Earle V Dudley Iii, Rr 1 Box 2820, Middleton, NH 03887
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 3
- Hazardous Condition: 1
- Service Call: 1
Businesses in Middleton, NH
- Decora Cabinetry: 2
- MasterBrand Cabinets: 3
Total of 14 patent applications in 2008-2015.