|Median resident age:||43.6 years|
|Wisconsin median age:||42.6 years|
Zip codes: 53580.
Mifflin town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $173,256 (it was $111,700 in 2000)
- White alone - 572 (97.8%)
- Hispanic - 10 (1.7%)
- Two or more races - 3 (0.5%)
|Madison won't allow Mifflin Street Block party (2 replies)|
|Small family considering Madison :) (21 replies)|
|Looking for raw buckwheat honey (4 replies)|
|Let's Change Our License Plate Design (46 replies)|
|Moving to Madison Wi with my family (12 replies)|
|Univ of Wis - Madison grads (14 replies)|
Latest news from Mifflin, WI collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (44.2%), English (22.5%), Irish (11.3%), Norwegian (9.1%), United States (6.5%), Polish (5.3%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 955 feet
Land area: 50.7 square miles.
Population density: 12 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Mifflin:
- High school or higher: 92.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 19.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.3%
- Unemployed: 3.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 21.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mifflin town:
- Never married: 23.9%
- Now married: 67.2%
- Separated: 0.4%
- Widowed: 4.0%
- Divorced: 4.4%
2 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Mifflin town:||0.6% ($700)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Dubuque, IA (30.6 miles , pop. 57,686).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Madison, WI (50.5 miles , pop. 208,054).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (154.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Rewey, WI (1.7 miles ), Livingston, WI (2.1 miles ), Linden, WI (2.3 miles ), Cobb, WI (2.6 miles ), Montfort, WI (2.8 miles ), Edmund, WI (2.8 miles) , Mineral Point, WI (2.9 miles ), Belmont, WI (3.1 miles ).
Latitude: 42.87 N, Longitude: 90.35 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 608
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (52%)
- Construction (10%)
- Transportation equipment (6%)
- Electronic shopping and mail-order houses (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (4%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (3%)
- Public administration (3%)
- Electronic shopping and mail-order houses (22%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (17%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Health care (9%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Construction (3%)
- Farmers and farm managers (37%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (14%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (3%)
- Drafters, engineering, and mapping technicians (3%)
- Construction laborers (3%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (2%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (13%)
- Farmers and farm managers (9%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (8%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Other financial specialists (6%)
- Health technologists and technicians (5%)
- Registered nurses (4%)
Average climate in Mifflin, Wisconsin
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Mifflin-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Wisconsin state average. It is 60% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/7/1984, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 20.1 miles away from the Mifflin town center killed 9 people and injured 200 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 7/3/1983, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 13.2 miles away from the town center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Mifflin-area historical earthquake activity is above Wisconsin state average. It is 87% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 331.9 miles away from the city center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 122.8 miles away from Mifflin center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 308.5 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 364.0 miles away from the city center
On 9/2/1999 at 16:17:29, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 92.5 miles away from Mifflin center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 331.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Iowa County (11) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 9
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 8, Storms: 8, Tornadoes: 5, Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: J.W. Parmley - ”Father of the Yellowstone Trail”, Daniel B. Moore - Army Medal of Honor recipient.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mifflin:
- University of Wisconsin-Platteville (about 12 miles; Platteville, WI; Full-time enrollment: 7,679)
- Edgewood College (about 49 miles; Madison, WI; FT enrollment: 2,455)
- University of Wisconsin Colleges (about 50 miles; Madison, WI; FT enrollment: 10,019)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (about 50 miles; Madison, WI; FT enrollment: 34,621)
- Madison Area Technical College (about 55 miles; Madison, WI; FT enrollment: 9,603)
- Herzing University-Madison (about 57 miles; Madison, WI; FT enrollment: 3,160)
- Ashford University (about 71 miles; Clinton, IA; FT enrollment: 73,330)
Notable location: Rewey Fire Department and First Responders (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Mifflin include: Peniel Church (A), Bryn Zion Church (B), Carmel Church (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Zion Cemetery (1), Penniel Cemetery (2), Mifflin Cemetery (3), Kirkpatrick Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: 0.6 Reservoir (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Williams-Rewey Branch (A), Livingston Branch (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Mifflin: Pecatonica River Woods State Natural Area (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 45.4. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 9.15. This is about average. Closest monitor was 21.4 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.8 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Mifflin compared to Wisconsin state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (43%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (36%)
- Wood (10%)
- Utility gas (6%)
- Electricity (5%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Mifflin town (based on Iowa County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 55.92%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||United Methodist Church||United Church of Christ||Lutheran Church|
|Name||New Testament Association Independent Baptist Churches/Other Fundamental Baptists||Conservative Congregational Christian Conference||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Primitive Methodist Church in the USA||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Iowa County:||2.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa County:||6.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||11.48 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.64 / 10,000 pop.|
5.36% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($40,434 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Dane County, WI||1.53% ($45,243 average AGI)|
|from Grant County, WI||0.87% ($29,298)|
|from Lafayette County, WI||0.42% ($30,366)|
6.25% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,033 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Mifflin:
- WPVL (1590 AM; 1 kW; PLATTEVILLE, WI; Owner: QUEENB RADIO WISCONSIN, INC.)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- KDTH (1370 AM; 5 kW; DUBUQUE, IA; Owner: RADIO DUBUQUE, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WSPT (1010 AM; 50 kW; STEVENS POINT, WI)
- WISN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WTSO (1070 AM; 10 kW; MADISON, WI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WLMV (1480 AM; 10 kW; MADISON, WI; Owner: MID-WEST MANAGEMENT, INC.)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WNAM (1280 AM; 50 kW; NEENAH-MENASHA, WI; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WTDY (1670 AM; 10 kW; MADISON, WI; Owner: MID-WEST MANAGEMENT, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Mifflin:
- WJTY (88.1 FM; LANCASTER, WI; Owner: JOY PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WHHI (91.3 FM; HIGHLAND, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- WDMP-FM (99.3 FM; DODGEVILLE, WI; Owner: DODGE POINT BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KATF (92.9 FM; DUBUQUE, IA; Owner: RADIO DUBUQUE, INC.)
- WGLR-FM (97.7 FM; LANCASTER, WI; Owner: QUEENB RADIO WISCONSIN, INC.)
- WERN (88.7 FM; MADISON, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- KIYX (106.1 FM; SAGEVILLE, IA; Owner: QUEENB RADIO WISCONSIN, INC.)
- WPVL-FM (107.1 FM; PLATTEVILLE, WI; Owner: QUEENB RADIO WISCONSIN, INC.)
- WIBA-FM (101.5 FM; MADISON, WI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WJOD (103.3 FM; ASBURY, IA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WSUP (90.5 FM; PLATTEVILLE, WI; Owner: BOARD OF REGENTS, UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN SYSTEM)
- KXGE (102.3 FM; DUBUQUE, IA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WVRE (101.1 FM; DICKEYVILLE, WI; Owner: RADIO DUBUQUE, INC.)
- K254AE (98.7 FM; DUBUQUE, IA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NORTHERN IOWA)
TV broadcast stations around Mifflin:
- WISC-TV (Channel 3; MADISON, WI; Owner: TELEVISION WISCONSIN, INC.)
- KFXB (Channel 40; DUBUQUE, IA; Owner: DUBUQUE TV LTD. PARTNERSHIP)
- WMSN-TV (Channel 47; MADISON, WI; Owner: WMSN LICENSEE, LLC)
- WKOW-TV (Channel 27; MADISON, WI; Owner: WKOW TELEVISION, INC.)
- WHA-TV (Channel 21; MADISON, WI; Owner: BOARD OF REGENTS OF THE UNIV. OF WISCONSIN SYSTEM)
- WMTV (Channel 15; MADISON, WI; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
- W22CI (Channel 22; BLOOMINGTON, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
Total length: 25 meters (82ft)
Total costs: $1,940,000
Total average daily traffic: 4,040
Total average daily truck traffic: 70
Total future (year 2027) average daily traffic: 3,420
New bridges - Historical Statistics
- 1920-1929: 2
- 1930-1939: 4
- 1940-1949: 0
- 1950-1959: 0
- 1960-1969: 0
- 1970-1979: 1
- 1980-1989: 1
- 1990-1999: 1
- 2000-2009: 4