Minden, West Virginia
Submit your own pictures of this place and show them to the world
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||46.0 years|
|West Virginia median age:||42.9 years|
Zip codes: 25879.
Estimated per capita income in 2019: $22,713
Minden CDP income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2019: $95,117
Mean prices in 2019: all housing units: $100,582; detached houses: $102,600
Detailed information about poverty and poor residents in Minden, WV
Compare current foreclosures near your location:
- 2,410 sq.ft3 baths3 beds
- 731 sq.ft1 baths1 beds
- 1,992 sq.ft3 baths3 beds
- 3,499 sq.ft3 baths4 beds
- 3,688 sq.ft3 baths5 beds
- 1,452 sq.ft3 baths3 beds
- 1,914 sq.ft2 baths3 beds
- 3,018 sq.ft3 baths4 beds
- 2,222 sq.ft3 baths4 beds
- 2,864 sq.ft3 baths4 beds
- 7,078 sq.ft2 baths1 beds
- 1,140 sq.ft1 baths3 beds
- 2,976 sq.ft3 baths4 beds
- 8,818 sq.ft4 baths4 beds
- 1,038 sq.ft2 baths2 beds
- 1,368 sq.ft2 baths3 beds
- 1,140 sq.ft1 baths2 beds
- 2,246 sq.ft4 baths3 beds
- 1,490 sq.ft2 baths3 beds
- 1,050 sq.ft2 baths2 beds
- 2,908 sq.ft4 baths3 beds
- 1,053 sq.ft2 baths2 beds
- 1,440 sq.ft2 baths3 beds
- 3,962 sq.ft5 baths4 beds
- 1,166 sq.ft3 baths3 beds
- 1,294 sq.ft2 baths3 beds
- 1,872 sq.ft2 baths3 beds
- 1,026 sq.ft1 baths- beds
- 2,420 sq.ft2 baths5 beds
- 39595.6%White alone
- 81.9%American Indian alone
Races in Minden detailed stats: ancestries, foreign born residents, place of birth
According to our research of West Virginia and other state lists, there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Minden, West Virginia as of March 25, 2023.
The ratio of all residents to sex offenders in Minden is 204 to 1.
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
Ancestries: Irish (47.0%), American (36.6%), Australian (2.2%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1600 feet
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Charleston, WV (38.1 miles , pop. 53,421).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Greensboro, NC (149.5 miles , pop. 223,891).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (350.3 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Latitude: 37.98 N, Longitude: 81.12 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 304
Earthquake activity:Minden-area historical earthquake activity is significantly above West Virginia state average. It is 14% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/23/2011 at 17:51:04, a magnitude 5.8 (5.8 MW, Depth: 3.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 173.7 miles away from the city center
On 8/9/2020 at 12:07:37, a magnitude 5.1 (5.1 MW, Depth: 4.7 mi) earthquake occurred 103.8 miles away from the city center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 154.5 miles away from Minden center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 246.2 miles away from Minden center
On 11/2/2006 at 17:53:02, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, Depth: 0.6 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 69.3 miles away from Minden center
On 11/23/2006 at 10:42:57, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB) earthquake occurred 73.5 miles away from Minden center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Fayette County (20) is greater than the US average (15).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 15
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 9, Storms: 9, Landslides: 6, Winter Storms: 4, Hurricanes: 3, Mudslides: 3, Blizzard: 1, Drought: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Other: 1 (Note: some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Minden:
- HIDDEN VALLEY CENTER (Nursing Home, about 1 miles away; OAK HILL, WV)
- HIDDEN VALLEY HEALTH CARE (Nursing Home, about 1 miles away; OAK HILL, WV)
- OAK HILL GROUP HOME (Hospital, about 2 miles away; OAK HILL, WV)
- PLATEAU MEDICAL CENTER Critical Access Hospitals (about 2 miles away; OAK HILL, WV)
- FMC - OAK HILL (Dialysis Facility, about 6 miles away; FAYETTEVILLE, WV)
- FAYETTE NURSING AND REHABILITATION CENTER, LLC (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; FAYETTEVILLE, WV)
- PINE LODGE CARE AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; BECKLEY, WV)
Amtrak stations near Minden:
- 3 miles: THURMOND (C & O DEPOT)
- 9 miles: PRINCE (RTE. 41 NORTH) . Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
- 19 miles: MONTGOMERY (WASHINGTON ST. & 3RD AVE.) . Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Minden:
- New River Community and Technical College (about 14 miles; Beckley, WV; Full-time enrollment: 2,234)
- Concord University (about 39 miles; Athens, WV; FT enrollment: 2,698)
- West Virginia State University (about 45 miles; Institute, WV; FT enrollment: 2,133)
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (about 65 miles; Blacksburg, VA; FT enrollment: 30,984)
- New River Community College (about 65 miles; Dublin, VA; FT enrollment: 3,007)
- Radford University (about 66 miles; Radford, VA; FT enrollment: 9,426)
- Wytheville Community College (about 71 miles; Wytheville, VA; FT enrollment: 2,193)
Points of interest:
Creek: Rocklick Creek (A). Display/hide its location on the map
|This place:||2.5 people|
|West Virginia:||2.4 people|
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 1.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
For population 15 years and over in Minden:
- Never married: 51.9%
- Now married: 34.1%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 14.1%
- Divorced: 0.0%
For population 25 years and over in Minden:
- High school or higher: 39.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 0.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
|West Virginia average:||11.0|
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Minden, WV (based on Fayette County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Fayette County:||3.46 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|Fayette County:||1.51 / 10,000 pop.|
|West Virginia:||1.09 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.27 / 10,000 pop.|
|West Virginia:||5.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.70 / 10,000 pop.|
|West Virginia:||6.22 / 10,000 pop.|
4.49% of this county's 2016 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2015 ($32,293 average adjusted gross income)
|West Virginia average:||5.10%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2015 and 2016.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2015 and 2016:
|from Raleigh County, WV||1.02% ($35,048 average AGI)|
|from Kanawha County, WV||0.67% ($32,531)|
|from Nicholas County, WV||0.33% ($31,277)|
5.49% of this county's 2015 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2016 ($33,414 average adjusted gross income)
|West Virginia average:||5.62%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2015 and 2016.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2015 and 2016:
|to Raleigh County, WV||1.28% ($26,038 average AGI)|
|to Kanawha County, WV||0.80% ($34,483)|
|to Greenbrier County, WV||0.25% ($26,389)|
Strongest AM radio stations in Minden:
- WOAY (860 AM; 10 kW; OAK HILL, WV; Owner: COMMISSIONED COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJLS (560 AM; 5 kW; BECKLEY, WV; Owner: FIRST MEDIA RADIO, LLC)
- WIWS (1070 AM; daytime; 10 kW; BECKLEY, WV; Owner: SOUTHERN COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WWNR (620 AM; 5 kW; BECKLEY, WV; Owner: DYNASTAR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCAW (680 AM; 10 kW; CHARLESTON, WV; Owner: WEST VIRGINIA RADIO CORPORATION OF CHARLESTON)
- WYKM (1250 AM; 5 kW; RUPERT, WV; Owner: MT. STATE B. CO., INC.)
- WCHS (580 AM; 5 kW; CHARLESTON, WV; Owner: WEST VIRGINIA RADIO CORPORATION OF CHARLESTON)
- WTVN (610 AM; 50 kW; COLUMBUS, OH; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WBDY (1190 AM; daytime; 10 kW; BLUEFIELD, VA; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WTRU (830 AM; 50 kW; KERNERSVILLE, NC; Owner: TRUTH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WVTS (950 AM; 5 kW; CHARLESTON, WV; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WKNV (890 AM; daytime; 10 kW; FAIRLAWN, VA; Owner: POSITIVE RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- WFNR (710 AM; daytime; 10 kW; BLACKSBURG, VA; Owner: PERCEPTION MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Minden:
- WAXS (94.1 FM; OAK HILL, WV; Owner: PLATEAU BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCIR-FM (103.7 FM; BECKLEY, WV; Owner: SOUTHERN COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WVPB (91.7 FM; BECKLEY, WV; Owner: WEST VIRGINIA EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING AUTHORITY)
- WTNJ (105.9 FM; MOUNT HOPE, WV; Owner: WEST VIRGINIA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WMTD-FM (102.3 FM; HINTON, WV; Owner: SOUTHERN COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WDBS (97.1 FM; SUTTON, WV; Owner: SUMMIT MEDIA BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- WJLS-FM (99.5 FM; BECKLEY, WV; Owner: FIRST MEDIA RADIO, LLC)
- WKVW (93.3 FM; MONTGOMERY, WV; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- WMLJ (90.5 FM; SUMMERSVILLE, WV; Owner: GRACE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WRLB (95.3 FM; RAINELLE, WV; Owner: FAITH COMMUNICATIONS NETWORK, INC.)
- WHAJ (104.5 FM; BLUEFIELD, WV; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WKLC-FM (105.1 FM; ST. ALBANS, WV; Owner: WKLC, INC.)
- KHPR (88.1 FM; HONOLULU, HI; Owner: HAWAII PUBLIC RADIO)
- WKCJ (103.1 FM; LEWISBURG, WV; Owner: QUORUM RADIO PARTNERS OF VIRGINIA, INC.)
- WHKX (106.3 FM; BLUEFIELD, VA; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WCWV (92.9 FM; SUMMERSVILLE, WV; Owner: R-S BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WKOY-FM (100.9 FM; PRINCETON, WV; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WKAZ (107.3 FM; MIAMI, WV; Owner: WEST VIRGINIA RADIO CORPORATION OF CHARLESTON)
- WRON-FM (97.7 FM; RONCEVERTE, WV; Owner: RADIO GREENBRIER, INC.)
- WXAF (90.9 FM; CHARLESTON, WV; Owner: MARANATHA BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Minden:
- WOAY-TV (Channel 4; OAK HILL, WV; Owner: THOMAS BROADCASTING CO.)
- WSWP-TV (Channel 9; GRANDVIEW, WV; Owner: WEST VIRGINIA EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING AUTHORITY)
- WVAH-TV (Channel 11; CHARLESTON, WV; Owner: WVAH LICENSEE, LLC)
- WCHS-TV (Channel 8; CHARLESTON, WV; Owner: WCHS LICENSEE, LLC)
Minden fatal accident list:
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 2Number of bridges
- 3ft / 1.0mTotal length
- $202,000Total costs
- 3,082Total average daily traffic
- 184Total average daily truck traffic
- 3,760Total future (year 2036) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- WONDERLAND, 789 Sawmill Branch Road (Lat: 37.972472 Lon: -81.085889), Type: Ltower, Structure height: 59.4 m, Overall height: 60.7 m, Call Sign: WQTE839,
Assigned Frequencies: 11565.0 MHz, Grant Date: 01/17/2014, Expiration Date: 01/17/2024, Certifier: John E Monday, Registrant: At&t Mobility LLC, 208 S Akard St., Rm 1015, Dallas, TX 75202, Phone: (855) 699-7073, Fax: (214) 746-6410, Email:
2003 - 2018 National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS) incidents
- Fire incident types reported to NFIRS in Minden, WV
- 8776.3%Structure Fires
- 1815.8%Outside Fires
- 76.1%Mobile Property/Vehicle Fires
- 55.7%Utility gas
- 37.5%Utility gas
- 18.1%Bottled, tank, or LP gas
Minden compared to West Virginia state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Minden on our top lists:
- #89 on the list of "Top 100 least-educated cities"
- #71 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the smallest number of children under 18 without health insurance coverage in 2000"